As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Windows 7: Thread for sale, two previous owners, apply within...

• Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Question about the Family Pack Upgrade:

I have 2 PCs here and a laptop that I plan on upgrading, but I'm taking the laptop with me when I'm away from home next year. Am I going to have problems? I don't want to be away from home and have to go buy another copy of Win 7 because it thinks I'm a pirate or something.

No, as long as you authorize it, it should be fine.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I upgraded last and I fucked up.

I thought I'd be cool copying my Vista Firefox folder and then dropping it into Win7 for my passwords and bookmarks but nope. Now I'm probably going to spending a few hours going to sites I'm a member of and doing the forgot password or login name thing.

Other then that I guess it isn't bad. Need more time with it.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Isn't there a tool or something that you can use to export Firefox settings and stuff?

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think there is but I guess I lost them during the upgrade? If I open windows.old Firfox it gives me a blank slate and I can't find anything in the Firefox folder that pretains to what I need.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Signum Ex SonitusSignum Ex Sonitus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So assuming all I do on the PC is game, listen to music and make arts, which version should I get?

Signum Ex Sonitus on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I upgraded last and I fucked up.

I thought I'd be cool copying my Vista Firefox folder and then dropping it into Win7 for my passwords and bookmarks but nope. Now I'm probably going to spending a few hours going to sites I'm a member of and doing the forgot password or login name thing.

Other then that I guess it isn't bad. Need more time with it.

I did the exact same thing. I can see why they would disallow that kind of thing, since it's a security risk. Still, I've spent forever recovering passwords from sites. Kind of a pain in the ass.

And spookymuffin, no tool or anything that I know of. Firefox says to just copy the user profile.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So assuming all I do on the PC is game, listen to music and make arts, which version should I get?
    Home Premium is what I'd suggest.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    clsCorwin wrote: »
    slash000 wrote: »
    mother fucker

Win7 64 bit installed properly

but now I'm trying to update to the latest 9.1 Catalyst drivers for my Radeon 4850

I download the drivers and tell it to install but it ends up making the screen go black (no video signal) halfway through. I waited a couple of minutes, but nothing comes up. So I reboot and it's still on the old drivers. I tried reinstalling and I tried installing drivers-only and I can't make it work.

Anyoen else have issues getting to latest Catalyst for Win7 x64?

I've got an XFXorce Radeon 4850 and manually installed driver with no problems.

Damn. I don't get it.

slash000 on
  • Options
    PuddlesworthPuddlesworth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    mother fucker

but now I'm trying to update to the latest 9.1 Catalyst drivers for my Radeon 4850

I download the drivers and tell it to install but it ends up making the screen go black (no video signal) halfway through. I waited a couple of minutes, but nothing comes up. So I reboot and it's still on the old drivers. I tried reinstalling and I tried installing drivers-only and I can't make it work.

Damn. I don't get it.

I had a problem when installing windows 7 where my 4870 wanted to use hdmi as my primary output and was not displaying anything over dvi. So... maybe it's trying to display on some other output then the one you have connected.

Puddlesworth on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've kind of got my fingers crossed that Microsoft does a better job supporting the gadgets in W7 than they did in Vista, but I'm not holding my breath.

A Skype gadget would be fantastic, but I don't think such a thing exists, save the fugly Vista-made one that only works for those filthy 32-bit luddites.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    mother fucker

Damn. I don't get it.

Have you tried running driver sweeper, Slash? Most of the time when issues like this crop up, it solves the problem for me. Completely uninstall the old drivers, and any remnants thereof, then boot into safemode and run driver sweeper for the ATi drivers. Then boot back into Windows normally, avoid the auto-install drivers, and manually install the drivers you want.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    When you say manually install the drivers, do you mean extract the drivers to a directory and then go into Device Manager and tell it a specific directory to install drivers from, or do you mean to use the installation package the Ati gives you when you download their drivers?

slash000 on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    No, he means go to www.ati.com and download the latest driver install package from there and run it manually. He's saying avoid letting Windows Update install the drivers for you.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Silent TristeroSilent Tristero Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Be really grateful if someone could take a few minutes to confirm my plans. I'm about to build a brand new pc from scratch, and I plan to buy the £30 Windows 7 offer (Which I believe is upgrade-only) as the OS for it. Does anyone see anything wrong with this procedure:

- My flat has no internet available right now, so I'll be taking a laptop back to my parents, and purchasing/downloading windows 7 64-bit at the weekend.

- I have a new copy of XP-32 bit that I plan to install on the new machine when it's built, just after the weekend

- I'll transfer the download of W7 from the laptop to the new PC, and do a custom install. Won't need to back up, as I'll be doing this almost as soon as XP is installed and running.

- Celebrate

My concern is over the download, primarily if it's ok to move the resulting download around to another pc, and the size and format. Since I can't get the PC itself online for a while, my only option is to DL W7 on the laptop and transfer it over. Is there an easier way? I do have a Windows 7 RC iso that I haven't used, but I don't believe I can 'upgrade' from that at all (Not even in the 'keeping my files' sense).

Cheers for any help, been a long process so far, but it's almost done!

Silent Tristero on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    How do I downgrade my Nvidia drivers in this OS? On XP I would just download them from Nvidia, install them over the old ones, and be on my way.

Can I do the same thing here in 7?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Be really grateful if someone could take a few minutes to confirm my plans. I'm about to build a brand new pc from scratch, and I plan to buy the £30 Windows 7 offer (Which I believe is upgrade-only) as the OS for it. Does anyone see anything wrong with this procedure:

- My flat has no internet available right now, so I'll be taking a laptop back to my parents, and purchasing/downloading windows 7 64-bit at the weekend.

- I have a new copy of XP-32 bit that I plan to install on the new machine when it's built, just after the weekend

- I'll transfer the download of W7 from the laptop to the new PC, and do a custom install. Won't need to back up, as I'll be doing this almost as soon as XP is installed and running.

- Celebrate

My concern is over the download, primarily if it's ok to move the resulting download around to another pc, and the size and format. Since I can't get the PC itself online for a while, my only option is to DL W7 on the laptop and transfer it over. Is there an easier way? I do have a Windows 7 RC iso that I haven't used, but I don't believe I can 'upgrade' from that at all (Not even in the 'keeping my files' sense).

The "upgrade" version isn't an upgrade like other Windows upgrades in the past. You don't need to upgrade. You can do a clean install with it.

It's also very simple to convert the download into either an ISO to burn to disk, or better yet, if you've got a 4GB flash drive lying around, you can make it a bootable Windows 7 install disk, too. The advantages main advantages are that the flash drive will probably out-last a disk you burn yourself, and the flash drive allows you to install faster and to netbooks and the like that lack optical drives.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    How do I downgrade my Nvidia drivers in this OS? On XP I would just download them from Nvidia, install them over the old ones, and be on my way.

Can I do the same thing here in 7?

Yes, but you may want to change Automatic Updates to let you know when they are ready to install. Otherwise, it will overwrite your drivers with the latest Nvidia drivers that Microsoft has. When the update pops up, right click it and choose Hide Update.

Shens on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This, again, isn't really a Win7 question, but I was wondering if there was a way to configure Firefox so that when you're opening up the pages that were closed along with the program (ie the save and quit feature), if you can have the sites automatically refreshed when you open Firefox again?

With mine, it opens up the last pages I visited, but doesn't update them.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Silent TristeroSilent Tristero Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    s3rial one wrote: »

- Celebrate

The "upgrade" version isn't an upgrade like other Windows upgrades in the past. You don't need to upgrade. You can do a clean install with it.

It's also very simple to convert the download into either an ISO to burn to disk, or better yet, if you've got a 4GB flash drive lying around, you can make it a bootable Windows 7 install disk, too. The advantages main advantages are that the flash drive will probably out-last a disk you burn yourself, and the flash drive allows you to install faster and to netbooks and the like that lack optical drives.

Excellent, so that definitely applies to these editions? I can just purchase, download, burn and install on a fresh build? Don't think I have a big enough flash drive lying around, unfortunately.

I ask because the FAQ there only mentions upgrades from XP and Vista, and doesn't say anything about a fresh install with no OS installed.

Silent Tristero on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    No, he means go to www.ati.com and download the latest driver install package from there and run it manually. He's saying avoid letting Windows Update install the drivers for you.

That's the way I have been doing it, and it has been causing me issues. (interminable black screen, forcing me to reboot)

How do I do the Windows Update install? When I UPdate Driver on Device Manager and tell it to do so automatically and search online, it always says that its up to date on drivers. But it is on version 8.6 whereas the latest ATI drivers are 9.1

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Excellent, so that definitely applies to these editions? I can just purchase, download, burn and install on a fresh build? Don't think I have a big enough flash drive lying around, unfortunately.

I ask because the FAQ there only mentions upgrades from XP and Vista, and doesn't say anything about a fresh install with no OS installed.

I can't say for absolute certain one way or another. All I can say is that I bought to US version of the Ultimate Steal from the US site (which you can view here), and it was actually a download from Digital River just as I described.

EDIT: To be a bit more specific, it's an .exe that self-extracts with all the data that comes on the retail CD. You can then take this data and use a utility like WinToFlash to convert it into a bootable flash drive that you can do a clean install from.

No black magic involved; the process couldn't be much easier. Let the .exe file extract somewhere. Then point WinToFlash at it, pop in a flash drive, point WinToFlash at that, click go, and wait about 5-10 minutes.

Then you reboot your system from the flash drive, choose custom install, and you can install from scratch.

I recommend using Ninite to help get apps reinstalled. And if you use Firefox, you can use MozBackup on a flash drive to backup/migrate/transfer your profile, including all your extensions, settings, bookmarks, etc.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This, again, isn't really a Win7 question, but I was wondering if there was a way to configure Firefox so that when you're opening up the pages that were closed along with the program (ie the save and quit feature), if you can have the sites automatically refreshed when you open Firefox again?

I just right-click and select "Reload All Tabs".

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Anyone have Explorer crash on them when they randomly right click on desktop icons or something in the start menu? It generally happens to me when I right click on the Recycle Bin to empty it, but I've noticed it doing so when I right click on something in the start menu so I can pin it or check properties. Only takes a few seconds for Explorer to shut down and reboot but it's kind of annoying. Used to do it in the Release Candidate version too, and I was hoping the issue was fixed in the retail release. Guess not.

Zaylenz on
  • Options
    DírhaelDírhael NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Zaylenz wrote: »
    Anyone have Explorer crash on them when they randomly right click on desktop icons or something in the start menu? It generally happens to me when I right click on the Recycle Bin to empty it, but I've noticed it doing so when I right click on something in the start menu so I can pin it or check properties. Only takes a few seconds for Explorer to shut down and reboot but it's kind of annoying. Used to do it in the Release Candidate version too, and I was hoping the issue was fixed in the retail release. Guess not.
    It's probably a shell extension that's causing this. It didn't happen on a perfectly clean Win7 installation right? Try disabling any 3rd party extensions using a tool such as ShellExView, reboot, and see if it solves your problem.

Dírhael on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm planning on upgrading to 7, but would I be able to dual boot XP and 7? I'm getting a separate HDD to do this.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    Rhys55Rhys55 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm planning on upgrading to 7, but would I be able to dual boot XP and 7? I'm getting a separate HDD to do this.

I just installed a tri-boot XP-Vista-Win7 machine and it's very easy to do. (I only put vista in because it's a work test machine)

Install XP first, then Win7. Found it easier to do on one drive, but we had our own reasons for that.
    If you go that route, just partition it on the first install to 2 drives, and install xp on the first, 7 on the 2nd.

For 2 drives it should be the same, just of course chose the correct drive to install to. Once installed, windows will bring you to an operating system selection screen. It'll list "older version of windows" and "windows 7"

The rest isn't really necessary, but makes it nice.
    Choose windows 7 and rename each hard drive the appropriate name (Click the C: Drive and then rename it Windows7) Then it'll show up as "Windows7 C:" when you're using XP that first drive will look like "Windows7 E:". That's just a handy way to keep from screwing with the wrong drive.

also, to edit that OS selection page, just open command prompt and type what I have below, and you should change "Older version of windows" to "Windows XP"
    bcdedit -Set {ntldr} "Windows XP"
    If you change the NTLDR with "Current" while in win7 you can change that entry too the same way. Just put whatever you want in the quotes. I think it says "Microsoft Windows 7" by default. You can name it whatever you want.
    bcdedit -Set {current} "Windows 7"

Rhys55 on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Barrakketh wrote: »

I just right-click and select "Reload All Tabs".

Well that's what I do, too, but I would prefer if it did that automatically whenever I restart Firefox.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    How can I edit files in the program files x86 directory? Windows says I don't have permission to save over or save a copy. Tried running notepad as administrator and that didn't work.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    agoaj wrote: »
    How can I edit files in the program files x86 directory? Windows says I don't have permission to save over or save a copy. Tried running notepad as administrator and that didn't work.

What are you trying to edit? Any kind of user files should not be kept in there. Running notepad as admin should give you rights though.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

That's the way I have been doing it, and it has been causing me issues. (interminable black screen, forcing me to reboot)

How do I do the Windows Update install? When I UPdate Driver on Device Manager and tell it to do so automatically and search online, it always says that its up to date on drivers. But it is on version 8.6 whereas the latest ATI drivers are 9.1

I do in fact mean installing drivers from the package that ATi lets you download, just as you have been. But only after uninstalling the previous drivers through the control pannel, rebooting into safe mode, running driver sweeper on the ATi settings, and then rebooting back into windows normally. If all goes well, then you shouldn't even have any ATi drivers left installed, period, on your computer. You can install the package from that point, and hopefully it won't have any conflicts with residual drivers left over from installing 'on top' of a previous installation.

If this is in fact what you are doing, and I'm misunderstanding you, then I'm honestly clueless. I know for nVidia drivers, the package unextracts itself to an 'nVidia' folder on the computer before installation occurs. If ATi does the same, then there's a chance those temporary unpacked files might be gumming up the works, and you can manually delete them.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just did a clean install of Windows 7 Pro (Student Upgrade), everything seems to be fine. One issue I have is that when I have Winamp working, Windows Messenger does not beep. It's the annoying the hell outta me...

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm surprised people are still using winamp. ;)

xzzy on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Rhys55 wrote: »
    Lots of good stuff
    I should've noted that I already have a PC with XP on it (I want to upgrade to WIN7 but I want to keep all my files, settings, and Windows XP on a separate HDD), but that's still a lot of good advice regardless.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    I'm surprised people are still using winamp. ;)

What's wrong with winamp?

Problem solved. Just needed to restart after reinstalling 100000 programs.

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is there any way to add more than 2 additional timezones to the clock in Windows 7? I'm about to switch to it from Vista, and was hoping this (incredibly arbitrary) limit had been removed, but it doesn't seem to be that way.

Suriko on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't know, I haven't needed to check that. I'd just like to point out that it's probably less a purposeful restriction and more a "didn't bother to program that much into it" since most people would never need that functionality.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dírhael wrote: »
    Zaylenz wrote: »
    It's probably a shell extension that's causing this. It didn't happen on a perfectly clean Win7 installation right? Try disabling any 3rd party extensions using a tool such as ShellExView, reboot, and see if it solves your problem.

I guess it didn't start happening until I installed all my programs, so maybe one of the extentions from them is causing the issue. I'll try out that tool you suggested tomorrow and see if that helps.

Zaylenz on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I do in fact mean installing drivers from the package that ATi lets you download, just as you have been. But only after uninstalling the previous drivers through the control pannel, rebooting into safe mode, running driver sweeper on the ATi settings, and then rebooting back into windows normally. If all goes well, then you shouldn't even have any ATi drivers left installed, period, on your computer. You can install the package from that point, and hopefully it won't have any conflicts with residual drivers left over from installing 'on top' of a previous installation.

If this is in fact what you are doing, and I'm misunderstanding you, then I'm honestly clueless. I know for nVidia drivers, the package unextracts itself to an 'nVidia' folder on the computer before installation occurs. If ATi does the same, then there's a chance those temporary unpacked files might be gumming up the works, and you can manually delete them.

I see. I'll do it that way. I was just wondering if there were, well, a less troublesome way. No biggie.

slash000 on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I see. I'll do it that way. I was just wondering if there were, well, a less troublesome way. No biggie.

The only thing easier is to just let Windows Update do the upgrades. This assumes you're happy with moderately old drivers.

I haven't had any problems doing it this way on my 4850.

xzzy on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    But the 9.10 drivers are so much better! I just installed them over the ones W7 installed and didn't have any problems.

Satsumomo on
This discussion has been closed.