As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Aion] ITT we argue about MMO lore

• Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    A few thoughts for you Darklite:

1. Kinah costs aren't as bad as people make it seem. Yeah, they look like big numbers if you played WoW or many equivalents, but that's because WoW uses a more condensed currency. Sure, 1k kinah to fly down to the observatory seems steep, until you realize at level 21 I have 300k kinah on my chanter, and this is after leveling Handicrafting to 90, equipping my 25 ranger, and donating about 250k kinah to Legion upgrades. The reason it seems so pricey is simply because the numbers are bigger. More costly, but you make more money.

2. Legion caps are there for a reason. It's to prevent (or at least hinder) the creation of mega-huge zerg legions. With a 90-player cap, you might actually have to have some decent players to do things like hold fortresses and top legion ranks. If you could simply add any number, you'd run into those legions with 1000 members who control every fortress via zerg tactics, making life miserable for both sides, as control wouldn't shift.

Ender on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I run it on max settings on my Core 2 Quad Q9550, 8GB of DDR2-1066 and nVidia GTX 260 216 core and it runs completely smooth, never going below 45-50 FPS. You don't need a Core i7 with crazy fast RAM and a dual GTX 295 to run it at max settings.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ender wrote: »

1. Kinah costs aren't as bad as people make it seem. Yeah, they look like big numbers if you played WoW or many equivalents, but that's because WoW uses a more condensed currency. Sure, 1k kinah to fly down to the observatory seems steep, until you realize at level 21 I have 300k kinah on my chanter, and this is after leveling Handicrafting to 90, equipping my 25 ranger, and donating about 250k kinah to Legion upgrades. The reason it seems so pricey is simply because the numbers are bigger. More costly, but you make more money.

2. Legion caps are there for a reason. It's to prevent (or at least hinder) the creation of mega-huge zerg legions. With a 90-player cap, you might actually have to have some decent players to do things like hold fortresses and top legion ranks. If you could simply add any number, you'd run into those legions with 1000 members who control every fortress via zerg tactics, making life miserable for both sides, as control wouldn't shift.

I agree with 1 completely. I was telling my Legion this last night, as I've been playing since release and they just started (good WoW buddies). The numbers seem huge, but they really aren't. You make a ton of money in this game.

I disagree with you on 2. People are going to do this anyway, they'll just use multiple legions. TopGoon is already doing this on their servers, and other mega-legions will do the same. They will just use multiple legions, banded together by a chat channel, to achieve the same purpose. It's admirable, but really solves nothing, and just makes it a pain for the people who have a legitimate reason to have a larger legion.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Are all the servers down? Any idea on when they'll be back up?

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Are all the servers down? Any idea on when they'll be back up?

Just before you have to go to work, leaving you cursing and grumbling for the rest of the day.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I found the post, after looking for 20 minutes. Was right under my nose..

http://na.aiononline.com/board/notices/view?articleID=120&page=

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    CostanzaKCostanzaK Only walks away from burning buildings. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    First, the lore. The reason why Aion chose the Humans as it's private army is because they were the only useful race left. All the other sentients had either been completely slain or enslaved by the Balaur. Including the Mau, who serve them even now. And Shugo are not warriors.

Moriarty. I see the Elemenstors as a true legion. Not just an off-shoot or Alt legion. I use to, but that changed around the time of your taking it over. The reason I use to? Because Dude created it for that reason. I have not really had the chance to clarify my position on the Elemenstors and Sorcelators positions yet in any public location, but I have done so in the private chats with potential recruits.

My position is that the Sorcelators is the more "Hard Core/Hard Working" Legion because the members, without any prodding or requirements from me, tend to log in on average once per day and are working hard towards reaching the massive end game content with the desire to take some fortresses and scalp some back hair. The Elemenstors are home to the players that don't feel the need to play as often and are more oriented to playing the game at a more leisurely pace. Experiencing the journey rather than the destination.

And I've had people actually tell me, "Hmm. In that case I think I'll join the Elemenstors. I enjoy the slightly more casual atmosphere."

I LOVE the Elemenstors, because they not the Sorcelators. We NEED the Elemenstor, because they are not the Sorcelators. The Elemenstors give a home to the people who would get intimidated and burned out by the rush of progress our own members are achieving, like how Inigo has already become a Crafting professional and is almost ready to outfit the entire Legion in Leather-goods. And again, this atmosphere in the Legion was created by the members, because I have not done much at all. All I did was make a place for people to gather, and the next time I look up from typing out the organization charts and application procedures I see we're one of the top 5% Legions on the server. It's nuts!

I predicted from the beginning that every Legion would have it's own philosophy to it, it's own way of playing. Quoting the differences between the CTS Dojo, Annarchy, and Kung-Foo Roostaz. Even though they are different I love all of them, because they love each other and the game they play. And truth be told, I'm just as much of an Ambler as I am Competitive. I'm looking forward to the end game so much! But I don't want to miss anything on the journey to get there, so I'm just as much of an Elemenstor as a Sorcelator.

And I have been saying, in my fantasy, my vision for the future, that I see the Elemenstors standing side by side with the Sorcelators when we go to attack a fortress. No matter where the Sorcelators go, we're hoping that the Elemenstors come with us, as equals.

Oh, and we're going to need Mandres to add an Elemenstors link to the side bar of the Legion website. And I'm going to have to write a new News Post on the front. And then there is the crafting guide...Damn. I think I'm doing more organizing than playing. :P

CostanzaK on
    "We shall Capture the Flag. We shall go on to the time limits.
    We shall fight in Hoth, we shall fight on the spaceports
    and the orbital stations, we shall fight with growing confidence
    and growing strength in the instances, we shall defend our Republic,
    whatever the cost may be.
    We shall Re-Spawn on the beaches, we shall camp the landing grounds,
    we shall PvP Flag in the fields and in the streets, we shall gank in the hills;
    we shall never uninstall."
    --Winston Churchwalker
  • Options
    PhosPhos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Could I get some updated thoughts on Templar from those playing the class? Rolled a chanter to 13, then tried a ranger... now I'm standing around the market seeing these massive armored players with huge shields and swords and I'm doing double takes.

I know leveling can be kind of slow.. and I've read pvp is a little frustrating to start off with. Also some comments here and there about kill stealing due to low DPS but this applies to a number of classes.

But looking at youtube videos... the combat looks somewhat fun.

Phos on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Servers comin' back up if anyone else is wonderin'

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Ender wrote: »

I agree with 1 completely. I was telling my Legion this last night, as I've been playing since release and they just started (good WoW buddies). The numbers seem huge, but they really aren't. You make a ton of money in this game.

I disagree with you on 2. People are going to do this anyway, they'll just use multiple legions. TopGoon is already doing this on their servers, and other mega-legions will do the same. They will just use multiple legions, banded together by a chat channel, to achieve the same purpose. It's admirable, but really solves nothing, and just makes it a pain for the people who have a legitimate reason to have a larger legion.

I can understand where you're both coming from regarding the 1st point, and I'm well aware that the numbers 'seem larger because they are', but that's not my issue. While neither of you seem to have problems raising money I find myself constantly broke. Maybe I'm just terrible at the trading game, but I've never, EVER had more than 150-160 kinah on me. Ever. In fact, all told, at level 21 I'd take a WAG that the accumulated sum of kinah I've possessed has been around 450k - 550k. The only way I can sell items it seems is to severely undercut the broker.

That said, if you guys are so well off for kinah share the wealth. Or, more aptly, share the knowledge. I'm not asking for kinah, but rather the knowledge of how to make it as well as you guys. Perhaps you could make it into a quick guide on the PAA forums.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I never sell things on the broker, have had well over 400k at a time. Sell whites to the vendor, mail off anything green to people who can use it. I farm mobs for xp a lot though, getting trash drops from them. I dont buy gear from vendors, I farm flux and have crafters make it for me, paying for their expenses though.

Never once had a problem with cash flow. Are you a ranger? Do arrows cost a lot of money for them? I honestly dont know what can help. I know I use a lot of odella powder and scorpolen poisons as an assassin.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    darklite_x wrote: »
    I can understand where you're both coming from regarding the 1st point, and I'm well aware that the numbers 'seem larger because they are', but that's not my issue. While neither of you seem to have problems raising money I find myself constantly broke. Maybe I'm just terrible at the trading game, but I've never, EVER had more than 150-160 kinah on me. Ever. In fact, all told, at level 21 I'd take a WAG that the accumulated sum of kinah I've possessed has been around 450k - 550k. The only way I can sell items it seems is to severely undercut the broker.

That said, if you guys are so well off for kinah share the wealth. Or, more aptly, share the knowledge. I'm not asking for kinah, but rather the knowledge of how to make it as well as you guys.

A great way to make money is to kill mobs that you don't need for quests. Once you get to your quest area, just begin from one side and work your way to the other killing every mob you can get your hands on. You'll end up leveling much faster and the greys you loot will end up making your pocketbook particularly happy, as well as the occasional item that sells for a bunch on the broker.

You may already be doing that. Honestly, at level 21 I was about there too, and I am rich compared to my guildmates. You're not doing too bad- honestly it's just a part of the game. The costs for transportation and soul binding are nontrivial, it's just a game parameter. We're used to it being different, but it just changes the way you play a bit. For instance, I'm bound in Morheim right now even though I'm leveling in Brusthonin, because I die very rarely and when I do, I usually have no bag space left, so Morheim is a good location to go to. I can sell, broker, and if I was done in Brusthonin, Morheim is also the place I plan to complete quests in next.

Rend on
  • Options
    MattSMattS Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Anyone think the collecters edition items worth the exta $10? It doesn't seem like they're anything special from the the wiki, but I haven't even gotten to character creation yet.

MattS on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm an assassin. Right now I don't even bother with venom because of the price and the hassle of reapplying every two minutes. It would be nice if they had some sort of timer icon to tell you when your venom wears out. Maybe there's something I'm missing but when I use it I can't see that it's even applied to the weapon or how long until it runs out. I do use a lot of odella when I'm soloing, but I suppose that's not a big deal.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, Is Aion good then? Like really really good? Or is it buggy as hell and without longevity?

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Costanza, I appreciate your public validation of how you see Elemenstors, though I never had much doubt on your stance. My frusturation in PAAion chat a couple evenings ago was caused by the constant need to correct others on the fact that Elemenstors is a "true" legion. Even <Dark Hand of Val> and <Dananananananana BATMAN> are more easily recognized as legitimate legions than Elemenstors.

My only issue with the Elemenstors == Casual thing is actualy similar to my issue with the idea of claiming Elemenstors == Hardcore. It creates a needless dichotomy. I myself play for 5 hours a day in this game, and I know I'm not the only member of the Legion that does. Elemenstors is casual-friendly, but is not strictly casual. When myself and a few others reach level 25, I intend to start recruiting from within the Legion, and also within Sorcelators, to get some Abyss groups going. I can't very well do this if every person that joins is another alt or never-25. They're welcome, but the Legion won't be sustained only by them.

For example, the Legion is now 47 strong. At this rate, we'll see 60 players by the end of next week. I'd like to avoid a one-toon-per-play rule if I can, but my own Abyss contributions alone won't prevent that.

Another example is crafting. You could argue that the Sorcelators could cover it, but judging by recent observation, the two Legions aren't as close as either of us would like. Often PAAion chat is silent while both legions talk amongst themselves and I have seen more than one member of each Legion indicate that, since Elemenstors is no longer an alt legion, it's no longer a concern of Sorcelators. Which is fine, because yes, Elemenstors is its own legion. It's ties to the PAA are that it is a legion of PAers and their kin.

But that means we need to be able to stand on our own. And we're not going to be able to do that if our playerbase is comprised nearly exclusively of people who apply to Sorcelators and say "oh yeah, I have kids" or "oh yeah, I can only play 15 hours a week."

I don't want to compete with Sorcelators. We should always stand together as like-minded legions. But billing Elemenstors as an exclusively casual Legion only harms it in the long-run. If you don't want the "casual" players, tell them you won't take them but Elemenstors will. Because Elemenstors always will, as long as there is space. But don't imply that Elemenstors is cut off from more dedicated players. We want them too, and if they want to play with us they are not only welcome, but desired.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I suggest a rule stating that all members of BOTH legions must join the PAAion channel to maintain membership. It forces a tie between two legions that should be one, if not for the flaw of the legion design, and keeps communication and the social aspect alive.

I don't think hitting the PAAion channel just for "Anyone need this quest" or "Can any of you make this..." is enough. I'd like to see the Legion chat used far less than the PAAion chat. It wouldn't cause more flooding in the window if everyone did it.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    fact.

at lvl 17 as a ranger you can get 15,000 xp a pop by kiting around the dumb ol' putty cats in BC village

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    I suggest a rule stating that all members of BOTH legions must join the PAAion channel to maintain membership. It forces a tie between two legions that should be one, if not for the flaw of the legion design, and keeps communication and the social aspect alive.

I don't think hitting the PAAion channel just for "Anyone need this quest" or "Can any of you make this..." is enough. I'd like to see the Legion chat used far less than the PAAion chat. It wouldn't cause more flooding in the window if everyone did it.

While I encourage the increased use of the PAAion channel, I'm not comfortable making such a rule contingent on membership within Elemenstors.

I will probably update the Legion greeting to remind people of the channel when I get home this afternoon.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just out of curiosity, why the obssession with being a top end legion? As someone who has been there, done that in multiple games, both as a contributing participant and a guild leader, it really isn't worth the effort.

And it's going to be monumentally worse, since there is a giant e-penis ranking right there, both of you are going to have a world of shit and guild drama ahead of you.

It's doable, but I can't stress enough on how BOTH guilds are not seperate, but rather an extension of each other. Same people, just different names.

Otherwise once it heads to the endgame, guild drama will abound.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm not primarily interested in being the top shit dog on campus. I just think that Elemenstors has lots of growing ahead, and it's going to be harder to sustain if Costanza, who seems to be the voice that everyone looks to as head of the community, continues to imply that Elemenstors is exclusively for the 15-hours-a-week crowd.

I'm just asking that this one little misnomer ceases to be spread as gospel truth.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    By decree of the gods, let it be known that henceforth the Elemenstors shall inhabit the world of Aion for no longer than a period of 8 human hours per fortnight.

j/k

darklite_x on
  • Options
    Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm not primarily interested in being the top shit dog on campus. I just think that Elemenstors has lots of growing ahead, and it's going to be harder to sustain if Costanza, who seems to be the voice that everyone looks to as head of the community, continues to imply that Elemenstors is exclusively for the 15-hours-a-week crowd.

I'm just asking that this one little misnomer ceases to be spread as gospel truth.

I'm in the sorcelators and this last week I've been playing an amount that will end up at about 15 hrs.

Am.... I not a bad enough dude?

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    AlgorefiendAlgorefiend Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I'm in the sorcelators and this last week I've been playing an amount that will end up at about 15 hrs.

you are not a bad enough dude to rescue the president. sorry

Algorefiend on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I'm a little confused on this point and clarification may, in fact, resolve things. If Sorcelators does, in fact, have a rule about the playtime of its members, then it would behoove to Costanza to state so and there would be no issue in indicating Elemenstors as a casual-friendly alternative.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

I'm a little confused on this point and clarification may, in fact, resolve things. If Sorcelators does, in fact, have a rule about the playtime of its members, then it would behoove to Costanza to state so and there would be no issue in indicating Elemenstors as a casual-friendly alternative.

It was a joke my friend. There is no playtime rule in sorcelators. To my understanding, the only difference between a person in Sorcelators and Elemenstors is the legion tag.

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well at least both Legions could in theory be featured on bags of Doritos in Korea.
    27577_78664.jpg
    I was going to make a joke about Starcraft but this looked so much creepier

Phos on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Phos wrote: »
    Well at least both Legions could in theory be featured on bags of Doritos in Korea.
    27577_78664.jpg
    I was going to make a joke about Starcraft but this looked so much creepier

Wow. What the fuck Korea. Notice the crotch bulge on the yellow guy. Where's the vomit emote when you need it.

Darkchampion3d on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    jdarksun wrote: »
    So, what is leveling 20+ like? I'm getting pretty close now with my main, and I'm curious what to expect. Aside from ganking, do people mainly concentrate on the pve aspect? Is there pvp xp?

Edit: Waaay too much Elyos love in this thread. Where my Witchaloks at?

Quest XP kind of takes a dive and it becomes more about grinding. At 25 you can go to the Abyss for better xp but more risk. Abyss features both PVE and PVP... and you get xp from pvp although I can't say how good it is as I'm not even close yet.

Phos on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

It was a joke my friend. There is no playtime rule in sorcelators. To my understanding, the only difference between a person in Sorcelators and Elemenstors is the legion tag.

That's how I see it too, but I still see lots of signs that this isn't recognized.

I get that most people just want to play and don't care about this crap, but I do have the sustainability of Elemenstors to look out for, and since Costanza seems to have some influence on which Legion people choose to join, it's important to me that we are all clear on where the Legion stands so that it doesn't hit a crashing halt.

EDIT: This is getting increasingly difficult to convery accurately. I'm not asking Costanza to go out of his way to encourage people to join Elemenstors or discourage them from joining Sorcelators. It's only that he has written many times that Elemenstors is a casual guild, which implies to me that it's somehow meant to be exclusively casual.

At the least there needs to be clarification on what is meant by casual (because Elemenstors certainly does welcome casual players, as it welcomes all PAers).

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    MandresMandres Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So Sorcelators, have we give any thought / come up with any ideas for our Rank 3 logo? There was some chat about a crossed-wands design but as far as I know we haven't seen any designs yet. Should we go ahead and open the floor to ideas and sketches?

Mandres on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Mandres wrote: »
    So Sorcelators, have we give any thought / come up with any ideas for our Rank 3 logo? There was some chat about a crossed-wands design but as far as I know we haven't seen any designs yet. Should we go ahead and open the floor to ideas and sketches?

Wangs

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Wangs

Only option

yhst-34640480252896_2073_2235009

Rend on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Wangs

I suggested this in Legion chat and was shot down pretty hard. I got a whole 'we don't find wangs to be humorous and they have no place on our cape' vibe.

darklite_x on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Wangs are not humorous. They're hilarious.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    MandresMandres Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    No we're not going to have wangs, period.

We're going to need to decide exactly what color the cape will be, as that will have an impact on the color and line styles that will work for the logo. I'm also not sure whether the system will accept images with transparency channels, or gradients either for that matter. I need to read up on how it works exactly.

Mandres on
  • Options
    SF_DhalsimSF_Dhalsim Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

We're going to need to decide exactly what color the cape will be, as that will have an impact on the color and line styles that will work for the logo. I'm also not sure whether the system will accept images with transparency channels, or gradients either for that matter. I need to read up on how it works exactly.

I heard that all of that stuff does work. Only if you use wangs.

SF_Dhalsim on
    sig-1355736.jpg
    sig-1355747.jpg
    SC2: XxKhrushchev.539
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    SF_Dhalsim wrote: »

YEP DEFINETLY THE SERIOUS HARDCORE LEGION. :lol:

Elemenstors would totally do wangs on their cape.

:winky:

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    AlgorefiendAlgorefiend Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    SF_Dhalsim wrote: »

YEP DEFINETLY THE SERIOUS HARDCORE LEGION. :lol:

Elemenstors would totally do wangs on their cape.

:winky:

You have my staff:mrgreen:

Algorefiend on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

That's how I see it too, but I still see lots of signs that this isn't recognized.

I get that most people just want to play and don't care about this crap, but I do have the sustainability of Elemenstors to look out for, and since Costanza seems to have some influence on which Legion people choose to join, it's important to me that we are all clear on where the Legion stands so that it doesn't hit a crashing halt.

EDIT: This is getting increasingly difficult to convery accurately. I'm not asking Costanza to go out of his way to encourage people to join Elemenstors or discourage them from joining Sorcelators. It's only that he has written many times that Elemenstors is a casual guild, which implies to me that it's somehow meant to be exclusively casual.

At the least there needs to be clarification on what is meant by casual (because Elemenstors certainly does welcome casual players, as it welcomes all PAers).

I think you're being too defensive, or at the least, taking this whole thing too seriously.
    The facts are that the Elemenstors were created at first because the Sorcelators were full. Then, it seemed like the Elemenstors was a little bit more casual-friendly (not casual, casual-friendly, huge difference) and this is why some people decided to go with the Sorcelators or the Elemenstors. Players of all types are to be found within both legions, but it seems the most few-hours-a-week players felt more comfortable with the Elemenstors and the more grindy, dedicated players wanted to be among themselves on the Sorcelators because they want one of the legion to be big, recognized, in the top X legions, you know?

It's nothing more.

Djiem on