Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

PAX East Bible

123457»

Posts

  • acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If you're in a rush, there's a Dunkin' Donuts every 10 feet in Boston, and a Starbucks every 20 feet; it's like an unofficial massachusetts zoning ordinance.

    If you want something less commercial, I've gone to the Paramount cafe; it's a bit out of the way from the convention center and there's almost always a line, but a line out of a restaurant is a good thing and their seating policy (which is clearly stated on their wall) almost always insures you a seat after you place your order. As for a more quiet cafe style place, I can't really say. I'll see if I can dig something up for you.

    acumen101 on
    Life-Long Nerd from New England

    PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

    twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

  • 1up1up Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Can I walk from The Back Bay Hotel to the convention center?

    1up on
    tf2_sig.png
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    1up wrote: »
    Can I walk from The Back Bay Hotel to the convention center?


    According to Google Maps where you can select "walking" instead of "By Car"

    http://bit.ly/byYkgP

    0.2 miles takes 3 mins to walk.

    Safe to say that yea, you can walk there.

    Rdr on
  • acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I would've suggested taking the Green Line, just in case if the weather gets bad. If you're talking about The Back Bay Hotel on Stuart Street, I would go from Arlington to Hynes.

    Also, to anyone who's going to enjoy Boston not just for PAX East, Hynes is on the Green Line. To get there, take any line but the E on the MBTA Green Line. Locals call it the T. If you plan on using the subway a lot, get a pass from the MBTA web site or you can get a CharlieCard in town. If you get a CharlieCard, it's only $1.70 each way on the subway as oppose to the $2.00 you could pay if you got a regular CharlieTicket (The CharlieCard is plastic and the CharlieTicket is paper).

    acumen101 on
    Life-Long Nerd from New England

    PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

    twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

  • BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    acumen101 wrote: »
    The Omni Parker House, which is one of America's oldest hotels and located near the Boston Common, invented it so if you're craving authenticity, go there, but it can be a bit pricey...
    Awesome, thanks a lot for the info!

    Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • 1up1up Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Rdr wrote: »
    1up wrote: »
    Can I walk from The Back Bay Hotel to the convention center?


    According to Google Maps where you can select "walking" instead of "By Car"

    http://bit.ly/byYkgP

    0.2 miles takes 3 mins to walk.

    Safe to say that yea, you can walk there.

    Just put in the correct address, says 15 min walk. Wonder if I can walk that later at night.

    http://bit.ly/awvuWC

    1up on
    tf2_sig.png
  • acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That part of Boston isn't that tough at nite, especially if you're with a group.

    acumen101 on
    Life-Long Nerd from New England

    PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

    twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

  • chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah i think everyone needs to call the hotel they are booked at to confirm the address. I was about to book at the W hotel Boston but then learned its some 1+miles away. So just a word of warning google has been wrong a number of times already so just call to confirm.

    chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    1up wrote: »
    Rdr wrote: »
    1up wrote: »
    Can I walk from The Back Bay Hotel to the convention center?


    According to Google Maps where you can select "walking" instead of "By Car"

    http://bit.ly/byYkgP

    0.2 miles takes 3 mins to walk.

    Safe to say that yea, you can walk there.

    Just put in the correct address, says 15 min walk. Wonder if I can walk that later at night.

    http://bit.ly/awvuWC


    I don't see where it says 15 mins. I still see 0.2 miles and 3 mins to walk. It looks like its just around the corner. I don't doubt that with a 1 mile radius until the bars close that you'll have a problem walking solo or finding some PAXers also going to the Hilton or such.


    Are you male/female and/or young or something?

    Rdr on
  • 1up1up Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Rdr wrote: »
    1up wrote: »
    Rdr wrote: »
    1up wrote: »
    Can I walk from The Back Bay Hotel to the convention center?


    According to Google Maps where you can select "walking" instead of "By Car"

    http://bit.ly/byYkgP

    0.2 miles takes 3 mins to walk.

    Safe to say that yea, you can walk there.

    Just put in the correct address, says 15 min walk. Wonder if I can walk that later at night.

    http://bit.ly/awvuWC


    I don't see where it says 15 mins. I still see 0.2 miles and 3 mins to walk. It looks like its just around the corner. I don't doubt that with a 1 mile radius until the bars close that you'll have a problem walking solo or finding some PAXers also going to the Hilton or such.


    Are you male/female and/or young or something?

    Bad experiences walking with my fiance in Baltimore going back to our Hotel that was three blocks away from the convention center.

    1up on
    tf2_sig.png
  • ZukiZuki Registered User
    edited February 2010
    1up wrote: »
    Rdr wrote: »
    1up wrote: »
    Rdr wrote: »
    1up wrote: »
    Can I walk from The Back Bay Hotel to the convention center?


    According to Google Maps where you can select "walking" instead of "By Car"

    http://bit.ly/byYkgP

    0.2 miles takes 3 mins to walk.

    Safe to say that yea, you can walk there.

    Just put in the correct address, says 15 min walk. Wonder if I can walk that later at night.

    http://bit.ly/awvuWC


    I don't see where it says 15 mins. I still see 0.2 miles and 3 mins to walk. It looks like its just around the corner. I don't doubt that with a 1 mile radius until the bars close that you'll have a problem walking solo or finding some PAXers also going to the Hilton or such.


    Are you male/female and/or young or something?

    Bad experiences walking with my fiance in Baltimore going back to our Hotel that was three blocks away from the convention center.

    Aaaah. Baltimore is a rough city in parts, and it's a funny patchwork of okay places right next to not-so-good ones.

    Zuki on
  • GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    OK I see where this guy is coming from now. Several people have commented that the area around the Hynes is very safe. I have never been there but I HAVE been to the Baltimore convention center, which turns into homeless drug addict capital of the world after dark. I went there for a work conference and guys in the military where getting mugged in parking garages.

    Dear Penny Arcade: DO NOT EVER move PAX East to Baltimore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    That being said, I've been to Boston for vacation before and it seemed like a much nicer city. General consensus is it is safe.

    Gundabad on
  • 1up1up Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That's what I want to hear. Thanks guys.

    1up on
    tf2_sig.png
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So yeah, I officially am going to miss East. If someone else wants to take over this idea, go right ahead, but for me, I'm gonna spend the next few days in bed sulking, then after that trying to get to PAX Prime.

    Thanks a lot guys! I'm glad to see this helped out a lot more than I imagined.

    feitocomfruta on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    If I get some time this weekend, I'll consolidate as much of the info in this thread as I can into something easy to reference.

    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Thanks Moe!

    feitocomfruta on
  • mspencermspencer Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    acumen101 wrote: »
    That part of Boston isn't that tough at nite, especially if you're with a group.
    Is there any cctv or security patrol coverage of that downtown area? Do you mean the muggers are all low-level trash mobs, or that there are so few muggers if someone from out of town got mugged there it'd be so unusual people would talk about it for weeks?

    Keep in mind, too: when you're used to being surrounded by a friendly crowd at all times (like at PAX) it's easy to forget to watch your surroundings. Maybe the crowd of PAX attendees you were walking with all just entered a building together, but you didn't realize you've been alone for the past block or two. Ten hours around nothing but awesome gamers can desensitize you. Don't just walk in a group: walk with people who know your name (even if you've JUST met them) and who are going to the same place you're going.

    mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • ohthecommotionohthecommotion Registered User
    edited February 2010
    Hynes is pretty safe. You're right down the road from Berklee, the music college (I went there for a year). So, you may die of cigarette smoke inhalation, but I don't think you'll get mugged =P

    But of course, be safe anyways!

    ohthecommotion on
    COME, my tan-faced children,
    Follow well in order, get your weapons ready,
    Have you your pistols? Have you your sharp-edged axes?
    Pioneers! O pioneers!
  • acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    mspencer wrote: »
    Is there any cctv or security patrol coverage of that downtown area? Do you mean the muggers are all low-level trash mobs, or that there are so few muggers if someone from out of town got mugged there it'd be so unusual people would talk about it for weeks?

    A few years ago, people started making a big fuss about Boston installing a bunch of security cameras around the city. I assure you, the city is very secure. As for muggings, they are few, but not few enough that if a mugging happened it would be talked about for weeks. Also, with the convention going on, I'm sure BPD would get notified about it going on if they haven't by now.

    I also assume you play WoW (given the "trash mobs" reference)?

    acumen101 on
    Life-Long Nerd from New England

    PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

    twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

  • linkiswickeddanklinkiswickeddank Registered User
    edited February 2010
    1.) It's called the T (as in MBTA, Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority), not the Metro, Subway, etc.

    2.) Boston is the best walking city I've been to aside from Paris, and this in large part due to the generally small size of Boston, the City, and the decent T system (only 4 lines, Red Green Orange Blue, you can't mess it up).

    3.) If you drive, park your car somewhere, and LEAVE IT. Boston sucks for driving (I have a car to commute from West End (downtown Boston near Beacon Hill/ MGH (Mass General Hospital) up to Burlington everyday) even if you have a GPS. There are a number of times where surface streets are directly above freeway tunnels, and GPS satellites don't know which level you're on all the time.

    4.) If you fly, I wouldn't even rent a car unless you staying somewhere that you cannot walk to the T

    5.) Lobster won't be THAT great because it's not a month that ends in -er. Maine is better and cheaper anyways for lobster.

    6.) If you like exciting dining, Boston is awesome. Not as stuck-up/expensive as New York, but a decent amount of variety. My personal favorite neighborhoods: South End on Tremont St. (Beehive, Masa), Beacon Hill (Charles/MGH stop on the Red Line, Lala Rokh, Paramount, Figs), NORTH END (Haymarket stop on Green or Orange Line, OMG so freaking good. G'vannis, Mare, Mike's Pastry/Modern Pastry), Newbury/Boylston Street in the Back Bay (Green line/close to the convention so this might be swamped. Charley's is awesome, Stephanie's, Upper Crust).

    7.) Nightlife - Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market is decent (just about anywhere there is alright, Ned Devine's is a good place). Roxy or Felt in the Theater District/Downtown Crossing are both fun. Club Cafe is one of the premier gay dance/video music bars, and that's in the Back Bay. Flashes in the Back Bay is good, big drinks, big wooden tables. The Bullfinch Triangle (a bunch of streets, especially Canal St., near the TD Bank Garden/North Station. Recommended spot: The Greatest (Bar)). Bullfinch Triangle and Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market are within very quick walking distance.

    8.) Day trips/things to do outside in case you want an afternoon away from the PAX (who are you?) - Harvard Square is cool just to see Harvard. Same with MIT is fun to walk around. In Harvard square, you have to go to Giovanni's Pizza, it's awesome. You might see Ben Affleck there (do PAXers care about that stuff?).
    If you have a car, I love love love Minuteman Park, but that is a 25 minute drive outside of Boston, but if you love History, it's the SHIT. absolutely fantastic.
    Freedom Trail is nice in downtown boston to walk around the city a bit. hopefully weather is decent at the end of March for us all.


    I could write tons more, but I hope that this helps a bit! If you see me around (I am a blonde guy, and, if my brother makes the trip, I will be with my red-headed brother, mid-20s) say hi! I have lived in Boston for 6 years now, and love giving people tips on things to do/see in the city. It's a fantastic place to visit/live.

    YAY PAXeast!

    linkiswickeddank on
  • linkiswickeddanklinkiswickeddank Registered User
    edited February 2010
    1up wrote: »

    Bad experiences walking with my fiance in Baltimore going back to our Hotel that was three blocks away from the convention center.

    Just so you know, Baltimore is a MUCH more dangerous city than Boston. I go out all of the time late at night, sometimes just me and a buddy, sometimes just me and my fiancee, and we haven't had an issue (anecdotal evidence says nothing though....).

    http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2009-06-03/news/0906020063_1_baltimore-decline-in-homicides-city-homicide-rate

    http://www.examiner.com/x-24880-Boston-Law-Enforcement-Examiner~y2009m9d28-Boston-murder-rate-declines

    I think with the amount of people around and fact that Boston is a young city with people going out ALL the time (and the bars shut down at 2am at the latest so it's not like a 4am walk back) just think safe and you'll be fine.

    ENJOY BOSTON!

    linkiswickeddank on
  • SchooleySchooley Registered User
    edited February 2010
    If you do venture into the North End and want some really good cheap eats I suggest Hot Tomatoes on North St. Its a sub/pizza place with a diverse tasty menu.

    Schooley on
  • gilby123gilby123 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Bosotn is pretty safe. Certainly a few parts you want to avoid at night, but just use common sense. Walking in a group is usually a good thing after dark. Lit streets > Dark alleys. That kind of thing.

    gilby123 on
    "Where would we be without the agitators of the
    world attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples
    of ignorance?" - John Lithgow, 3rd Rock from the Sun
  • gannobd9gannobd9 __BANNED USERS
    edited February 2010
    This is probably redundant by this point, but the Hynes area is pretty safe. Assorted panhandlers can sometimes be found here and there, but they're pretty harmless. Hynes is one street over from Newbury Street, Boston's upscale shopping center and a major tourist attraction, so the city has an interest in keeping the riff-raff out.

    Some random recommendations from a Bostonian:

    - Newbury Comics: There are Newbury Comics in a number of places (nationwide? don't know), but the one on Newbury Street is, as the name suggests, the original. Lots and lots of nerd friendly stuff.

    - Regina's Pizzaria: You may know this as Polcari's, which is a Maggiano's -ish restaraunt chain. Regina's is the original however, and that pizza is goooood....way better than the several Polcari's I've been to. The brick oven they bake them was built in the 1880's, which has something to do with the pizza's awesomeness. Do be careful about sitting at the bar...the bartender is a right wing wacko that will be more than happy to share his endless conspiracy theories with you.

    - FYI - just to the left as you exit the convention center, there's a Best Buy, and just to the right, there's a glass encased three story Apple Store. The whole area around Hynes is generally nerd-tastic.


    In exchange for some Boston intel, maybe you guys can give me some con tips as I am a total convention noob.

    gannobd9 on
    Boofus+Outlaw.png
  • chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    gannobd9 wrote: »
    This is probably redundant by this point, but the Hynes area is pretty safe. Assorted panhandlers can sometimes be found here and there, but they're pretty harmless. Hynes is one street over from Newbury Street, Boston's upscale shopping center and a major tourist attraction, so the city has an interest in keeping the riff-raff out.

    Some random recommendations from a Bostonian:

    - Newbury Comics: There are Newbury Comics in a number of places (nationwide? don't know), but the one on Newbury Street is, as the name suggests, the original. Lots and lots of nerd friendly stuff.

    - Regina's Pizzaria: You may know this as Polcari's, which is a Maggiano's -ish restaraunt chain. Regina's is the original however, and that pizza is goooood....way better than the several Polcari's I've been to. The brick oven they bake them was built in the 1880's, which has something to do with the pizza's awesomeness. Do be careful about sitting at the bar...the bartender is a right wing wacko that will be more than happy to share his endless conspiracy theories with you.

    - FYI - just to the left as you exit the convention center, there's a Best Buy, and just to the right, there's a glass encased three story Apple Store. The whole area around Hynes is generally nerd-tastic.


    In exchange for some Boston intel, maybe you guys can give me some con tips as I am a total convention noob.


    Thanks for the info. Best advice i can give you is go with the flow pick 1-2 things you just HAVE to see for that day and from there do what you want. Plans and such never go as they should. Panels go over length you get lost or you meet some great people to hang with. Planing out what exactly to do is never any fun and it makes it even worse when your in a group. So go with the flow have fun and don't be too bummed if you miss some things, pax prime is only 6 months away.

    chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    gannobd9 wrote: »
    In exchange for some Boston intel, maybe you guys can give me some con tips as I am a total convention noob.

    My first con was NYCC and I was totally overwhelmed. I also went for only one day so I was running around like a lunatic trying to do it all, not a good idea. This past year (damn 18 months between cons) I did all three days and it was so much better. Taking the fung wah down and back and doing the con all in one day was exhausting. Spreading it out over three days rocked. It meant I could do whatever panels I wanted and didn't worry about missing things on the floor because I had three days to check out the floor. It also meant that I wasn't in the convention centre for 8 hours straight and could go out and grab lunch without feeling like I was wasting time. The best advice i can give is take it easy and if you feel like you need a break from being inside with tens of thousands of people, do it!

    VisionOfClarity on
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    mspencer wrote: »
    acumen101 wrote: »
    That part of Boston isn't that tough at nite, especially if you're with a group.
    Is there any cctv or security patrol coverage of that downtown area? Do you mean the muggers are all low-level trash mobs, or that there are so few muggers if someone from out of town got mugged there it'd be so unusual people would talk about it for weeks?

    Keep in mind, too: when you're used to being surrounded by a friendly crowd at all times (like at PAX) it's easy to forget to watch your surroundings. Maybe the crowd of PAX attendees you were walking with all just entered a building together, but you didn't realize you've been alone for the past block or two. Ten hours around nothing but awesome gamers can desensitize you. Don't just walk in a group: walk with people who know your name (even if you've JUST met them) and who are going to the same place you're going.

    There's cops of course but Boston is overall a safe city. Its a city so there is some crime of course, but the area the convention center is occurring in is halfway between (a block and 2 blocks respectively)
    the First Church of Christ, Scientist
    800pxchristiansciencemo.jpg
    and
    the Boston Public Library, which is a magnificent building that I can't recommend highly enough
    11000609.jpg
    img6126vi.jpg
    Its an upper-middle to wealthy area. With the exception of Beacon Hill its probably the wealthiest area in Boston and even as a 12 year old I never felt uncomfortable walking the area. You're much more likely to be shocked at the prices on Newbury street than get robbed or otherwise bothered.

    The only area I would strongly recommend avoiding altogether, especially at night, within short walking distance is the Fens. I'd expect most to know not to go to a project (which aren't in this part of the city anyway) but someone might mistake the Fens aka the Fenway or the Back Bay Fens to be a nice park. Pretty much every other park in Boston is safe, and are mostly safe even after they are officially closed (and the Boston Common and Public Gardens are must-sees if you have any time unless you are a particularly weak walker). Going into the Fens is probably not going to get you killed, but its much much more likely to get you mugged than any other place within the general area. You're OK during the day most of the time but even then its far less patrolled or maintained than the other parks.

    PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    He's right about the Fens thing. We crack jokes about how you shouldn't go in at night unless you want to be buttraped. We're only half joking.

    VisionOfClarity on
  • OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think the only problem I have ever had in that part of boston was coming back from a con and having to put up with sullen plastered Red Sox fans because their team had been whooped by the Mets. Mostly just drunken, idiotic comments that we ignored. Don't think that'll be an issue this time around though.

    Onmitsu on
    Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I know Moe has suggested that he would compile this information....but I was wondering if I can take over this project and give it a new name and make a wiki.

    Rdr on
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Rdr wrote: »
    I know Moe has suggested that he would compile this information....but I was wondering if I can take over this project and give it a new name and make a wiki.

    I was working on it, but If you want to take over, go for it, I was just in the process of ripping things to a word file.

    ZeroHourHero on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, if you've got the time, go for it.

    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Rdr wrote: »
    I know Moe has suggested that he would compile this information....but I was wondering if I can take over this project and give it a new name and make a wiki.

    I was working on it, but If you want to take over, go for it, I was just in the process of ripping things to a word file.

    I just feel motivated to get something solid put together this weekend.

    We can collaborate and take over the project if you want or I can lead.

    Rdr on
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Rdr wrote: »
    Rdr wrote: »
    I know Moe has suggested that he would compile this information....but I was wondering if I can take over this project and give it a new name and make a wiki.

    I was working on it, but If you want to take over, go for it, I was just in the process of ripping things to a word file.

    I just feel motivated to get something solid put together this weekend.

    We can collaborate and take over the project if you want or I can lead.

    You take lead, I've got a million and one things I should be doing.

    ZeroHourHero on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Alright, I'll start going through this thread and getting things together and I'll get something solid going this tomorrow night/Saturday.

    Moe, can I create a new topic since I can't edit the OP and you can merge these posts to my new one?

    Rdr on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    edited February 2010
    Let me know when the new one goes up and I'll close this one.

    I can't merge your posts into the new topic because they would come up before the OP

    edit: new thread is up - http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=112319

    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

123457»
This discussion has been closed.