Options

Really good hardware design.

2»

• Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Like the white iBook G4 hard drive replacement, never again.

Yessir, very possibly the worst notebook design ever. Made worse by the way the hardware is totally unreliable, so the likelyhood of you having to go into the damned things is considerably increased.

I will suggest the Apple 2 e as one of the best hardware designs of all time. Everything but the screen integrated, easy to work with (open panel, do something, done,) the hardest thing to replace (keyboard) wasn't hard to replace, and they're tanks.

I'll suggest the w810i for a 'dumb' phone as a great design.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    as far as cameras on cellphones go, the best design was the one on the Hitachi G1000. It has a 180 degree swivel mount. Would have been even more awesome if there was video phone capabilities on that monster.
    hitachi-g1000.jpg

logic7 on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's a shame that Nintendo's console hardware isn't that great looking (except for the Wii maybe) because the SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii etc. are all really good working hardware and my SNES still works, and probably will forever.

Man, wut? The GameCube was absolutely beautiful. I'm still pissed I scratched mine right across the lid.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ego wrote: »

Yes, I've had this phone for like 4 years now, and it's never once failed me, and I plan to keep using it until it stops working or I need internet access on my phone. The fact that it can be used as a modem for your computer and comes with a USB cable makes that more awesome

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    logic7 wrote: »
    as far as cameras on cellphones go, the best design was the one on the Hitachi G1000. It has a 180 degree swivel mount. Would have been even more awesome if there was video phone capabilities on that monster.
    hitachi-g1000.jpg

"Monster" is right. I knew someone who had that exact model. I was blown away by the features and capabilities at the time, but it was HUGE for a phone. For reference, compared to a new iPhone, a phone I think is pushing it in terms of dimensions, it's an inch wider, an inch longer, and nearly twice as thick. The guy always looked so funny whenever he actually used it to talk. (Official dimensions online are: 5.8" x 3.3" x 0.9")

I mean, not 'sidetalking' funny, but funny. Also, when it was in a pocket.
    hueg.jpg

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    elliotw2 wrote: »

Yes, I've had this phone for like 4 years now, and it's never once failed me, and I plan to keep using it until it stops working or I need internet access on my phone. The fact that it can be used as a modem for your computer and comes with a USB cable makes that more awesome

And you can even check your g-mail on it ;).

Honestly I miss my w810, and I have an iphone. AND I'm in Canada, so I get tethering.

That says something.

I think the iphone is a GREAT smart-phone. But I think the w810 is a better phone/personal media player.

edit: the w810i weighs about half an ounce, is tiny to the point of expletive description, and has a stunningly good battery, just to comment on size. I charge my iphone about once a day. I charged my w810 about once a week.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Honestly I miss my w810, and I have an iphone. AND I'm in Canada, so I get tethering.

That says something.

I think the iphone is a GREAT smart-phone. But I think the w810 is a better phone/personal media player.

Wait, how do you check your Gmail on it? Mine has that crappy app that only lets you use popular webmail services

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited September 2009

That says something.

Wait, how do you check your Gmail on it? Mine has that crappy app that only lets you use popular webmail services

I actually just got a mobile gmail app, from google, try http://www.google.com/mobile/products/mail.html#p=default and see if that works.

I think I might have gotten it by using the w810s (really bad) web browser to go to gmail.com, so I'd try that. I can grab the w810 from my other place and check it for you tomorrow though. It's definitely an application straight from google that let me do it, though I seem to remember people on phone forums being able to set it up within the phone's software.

edit: try going to gmail.com/app on your w810, I think that does it. Let me know if not. It's 100% worth having, for sure.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    logic7 wrote: »
    hitachi-g1000.jpg

"Monster" is right. I knew someone who had that exact model. I was blown away by the features and capabilities at the time, but it was HUGE for a phone. For reference, compared to a new iPhone, a phone I think is pushing it in terms of dimensions, it's an inch wider, an inch longer, and nearly twice as thick. The guy always looked so funny whenever he actually used it to talk. (Official dimensions online are: 5.8" x 3.3" x 0.9")

I mean, not 'sidetalking' funny, but funny. Also, when it was in a pocket.
    hueg.jpg

dude.. I finally gave mine up over the summer. My "iPhone before the iPhone" as I called it. Had Opera, Gmail client, TCPMP, GameBoy and Genesis emulator on it... I LOVED my G1000. I'm replacing it with a PPC6700 next month. For now my Samsung M300 will do.

logic7 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

That says something.

try getting the Gmail app. I had to install a MIDP 2.0 JVM on my old Hitachi G1000 in order to get the Gmail app to work, but it was definitely worth it. My current phone won't support it even though it supports MIDP apps (might be too large of an app even tho it's only 256K)

logic7 on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Rohan wrote: »
    Anything made by Nintendo. The launch units (of anything, but thinking in particular about the Wii and the DS Lite - video chip rot and hinge cracks) may have an issue or two but it's quickly cleared up in subsequent production runs, and about as durable as a kump of metal.

My ROB Robot broke down within days and hurled spinning chunks of sharp, slicing metal at me.

My Wii, within a year, started making a noise like a buzz saw when playing games.

psychotix on
  • Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    In general - Samsung counter-depth fridge. Amazing design, super thick doors, it even has blue-ish LED lighting on the interior rather than regular bulbs.

8763144_sa.jpg

Computers - the latest generation HP Proliant servers. They've always been clean but I built a DL585 G6 the other day that really impressed me. Four 6 core CPUs, all the trays and boards easily come out, good rail system, everything neat and organized on the inside for max airflow, huge fans, built like a tank.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    If you have midp 2 support on your dumb phone, get fucking opera mobile for free
    It's so good

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg