As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Have we had a Genesis Collection thread yet?

• Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    zubisman wrote:
    So which are you guys playing more: Shadow Dancer or Shinobi III?

After I beat Shadow Dancer I started playing Shinobi III pretty much nonstop, and now I'm stuck. Still can't figure out which game I like more...
    I refuse to play Shadow Dancer. Fuck one-hit deaths.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    zubisman wrote:

After I beat Shadow Dancer I started playing Shinobi III pretty much nonstop, and now I'm stuck. Still can't figure out which game I like more...

Didn't you have now playing Gradius V in your sig for half a year? :P

Man I don't blame you though, even for their time Shinobi and Shadow Dancer got merciless later on.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    zubismanzubisman Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

Shadow Dancer, R-Type, Gradius, Darius, Raiden, Castle Shikagami, Radiant Silvergun, Ikaruga, and Mario have taught me that it really only takes one hit to take down apsolutely anything, whether it be a space ship, a plane, a magical flying person, a ninja...and even a fat, short Italian plumber . Of course, if it's eaten a mushroom, picked up a shield, or has a "Force" in front of it, all bets are off.

zubisman on
  • Options
    SynonymousSynonymous Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Deusfaux wrote:
    well that explains it

mega drive?
    uhh

Mega Drive is just what the Genesis was called in Japan and Europe.

Phantasy Star 1 was on the Master System.

Late to the party, but there was an super limited-edition run of PS1 on Mega Drive. They therefore could've included it had they really wanted to fudge things, but they seem to love splitting up the PS games in collections.

Synonymous on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    That PS2 Saturn pad looks awesome.
    zubisman wrote:

I love Shadow Dancer, and one-hit deaths are gloriously old-school, so I reveled in it once I got used to it.

I still couldn't quite beat the final boss though. :| But I will.
    Not on a collection, but there's a JP PS2 remake with new artwork and a few extra bosses.

What bosses?

And I like the new character bio art. Especially Junon's.

She's possibly the most original female character ever.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    zubisman wrote:

Didn't you have now playing Gradius V in your sig for half a year? :P

Man I don't blame you though, even for their time Shinobi and Shadow Dancer got merciless later on.
    Gradius V is an entirely different type of game.

Plus you can respawn where you die instead of going to the beginning of the damn level.

Also, I have to admit that part of my issue with Shadow Dancer may just be that I was expecting another game in the vein of Revenge of Shinobi or Shinobi III and was horribly disillusioned.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Synonymous wrote:
    Late to the party, but there was an super limited-edition run of PS1 on Mega Drive. They therefore could've included it had they really wanted to fudge things, but they seem to love splitting up the PS games in collections.
    JP only. I have it though. Word has it that it's actually a straight port from the SMS/MarkIII version with no recoding whatsoever; the Genesis/MD just has the hardware required to play it. (If you start it up in a Genesis or Mega Drive with the console's region switched to Japan, it even shows the Mark III startup logo. If it's set to US or PAL, it doesn't show.)
    cj iwakura wrote:
    Not on a collection, but there's a JP PS2 remake with new artwork and a few extra bosses.
    What bosses?
    Ayame & Matsuri (two Izumo monks who fight as one character) - town south of Palemoon
    Harseld (some dude with golden wings) - town at the far north of Fandaria

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited December 2006
    cj iwakura wrote:
    I bought it for Shadow Dancer first and foremost, but there's a ton of great games on there I've never even played, like Ristar and Gain Ground.

I wish it had Streets of Rage. It's almost empty without it.

What does Sega international have against Streets of Rage? Sega Genesis Collection already has a Teen rating, do they really think SoR would have made it higher?

As a side musing, I wonder if Sega would ever consider making a collection of only their M rated games, from all their platforms.

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    cj iwakura wrote:
    I bought it for Shadow Dancer first and foremost, but there's a ton of great games on there I've never even played, like Ristar and Gain Ground.

I wish it had Streets of Rage. It's almost empty without it.

What does Sega international have against Streets of Rage? Sega Genesis Collection already has a Teen rating, do they really think SoR would have made it higher?

As a side musing, I wonder if Sega would ever consider making a collection of only their M rated games, from all their platforms.

I'd like to think they're saving Streets of Rage for something special, like a second Genesis Collection.

What else do they have left aside from the SoR trilogy though? Toe Jam + Earl... and... hmm.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    cj iwakura wrote:

I'd like to think they're saving Streets of Rage for something special, like a second Genesis Collection.

What else do they have left aside from the SoR trilogy though? Toe Jam + Earl... and... hmm.

Afterburner (1+2, I guess), Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, OutRun (2019, Outrunners, TurboOutrun), Toxic Crusaders, Space Harrier II, Shining Force I+2, Alien Storm (very hit-or-miss, depending on who you are), I'm sure they could rustle up some more Sonic games, Gunstar Heroes, and, of course, BEYOND OASIS!

Edit: Ranger X! I totally forgot that SEGA published that.

zubisman on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    zubisman wrote:
    cj iwakura wrote:

Afterburner (1+2, I guess), Ghouls 'n' Ghosts,

Capcom, won't happen, but nice thought.
    OutRun (2019, Outrunners, TurboOutrun), Toxic Crusaders, Space Harrier II, Shining Force I+2, Alien Storm (very hit-or-miss, depending on who you are), I'm sure they could rustle up some more Sonic games, Gunstar Heroes, and, of course, BEYOND OASIS!

If they have the rights to Gunstar(Treasure made it), then fantastic. Still, that proves there's more than enough room for a second Genesis collection, so here's hoping they get moving.

Also, Golden Axe II: The Revenge of Death Adder.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    cj iwakura wrote:
    zubisman wrote:
    cj iwakura wrote:

OutRun (2019, Outrunners, TurboOutrun), Toxic Crusaders, Space Harrier II, Shining Force I+2, Alien Storm (very hit-or-miss, depending on who you are), I'm sure they could rustle up some more Sonic games, Gunstar Heroes, and, of course, BEYOND OASIS!

If they have the rights to Gunstar(Treasure made it), then fantastic. Still, that proves there's more than enough room for a second Genesis collection, so here's hoping they get moving.

SEGA published Afterburner 1 and 2 for the Genesis, same with Ghouls 'n' Ghosts. Golden Axe II was on the Genesis Collection. Revenge of Shinobi should be there too ...I kinda forgot about that.

zubisman on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    zubisman wrote:
    cj iwakura wrote:
    zubisman wrote:
    cj iwakura wrote:

SEGA published Afterburner 1 and 2 for the Genesis, same with Ghouls 'n' Ghosts. Golden Axe II was on the Genesis Collection. Revenge of Shinobi should be there too ...I kinda forgot about that.

I'm pretty sure Capcom have a death grip on the GnG rights regardless. And there's two different Golden Axe IIs: the arcade one developed from scratch, and the 'original' that's on the Genesis Collection.

I remember liking the arcade one a lot more.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    zubisman wrote:
    cj iwakura wrote:
    zubisman wrote:
    cj iwakura wrote:

Sega published Ranger X, which I enjoyed.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Woodroez wrote:

Sega published Ranger X, which I enjoyed.

Yeah, I mentioned that. That game was fucking amazing. I never could figure out how that vehicle thing would ride on one wheel, but that's part of the beauty of it all.

zubisman on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Wait, Capcom made Afterburner?

...speaking of which, what happened to that cool 360 version of Afterburner Sega was working on? I saw a teaser for it like a year or so ago and nothing since.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    How do you folks think a traditional dugeon crawler would do in a Genesis collection? Cause there's Fatal Labyrinth, which uses randomly generated dungeons, and it was pretty addictive.

There was another RPG called Landstalker that was published by SEGA but developed by some japanese company that I'd never heard of. The quality of the translation was unsuprisingly fair at best, but it was a solid game under there.

I also remember playing a game called Darwin 4-thousand-something that kept my attention for a long time. It was a shooter, but I don't remember if it was actually "good" or just really really addictive. I mean, Zero Wing wasn't "good", but damn, once I got into it, even though it looked like shit, I couldn't turn my Genesis off for at least couple days.

The original Ghostbusters was developed and published by SEGA, at least, it was for the SMS and Genesis. Activision made it for the NES, 2600, and C64, so would that get in the way?

Jewel Master was slow and not really innovative, but it was still really fun.

Sega already rereleased Tant-R, the wacky random mini-game game, in their poorly received Classics Collection. Perhaps they could stick it in again. Bonanza Bros was in the Classics Collection too and it ended up in the Genesis collection.

Another game I'd like to see is Majikaru Hatto no Buttobi Taabou! Daibouken (Magical Flying Hat Turbo Adventure). I never really got to play it, but the Japanese kid down the street from me had his cousin send it to him and he really seemed to like it.

And what about ESWAT? SEGA released it twice. I don't know if that was due to demand or due to a desire to change the box, but it was aparently worth rereleasing. Not a stellar game, but a fun one, and that's what it's all about, right?

zubisman on
  • Options
    MindstormMindstorm Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I should make a real reply to this thread some day. I have a bunch of genesis games and a working genesis. The problem? My controllers are dead. All 5 of them in one way or another.

I need to get some from ebay or something...

Mindstorm on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Wait, Capcom made Afterburner?

...speaking of which, what happened to that cool 360 version of Afterburner Sega was working on? I saw a teaser for it like a year or so ago and nothing since.

Wait, yeah, wtf? Afterburner is a SEGA license. They published and developed Afterburner for the Genesis, SMS, 32x, arcade and PC, while SegaSoft published it for the AtariST and Amiga. The only versions they didn't touch were the NES version, it was made by Tengen, and the Amistrad CPC version, which was published by...someone.

Anyhow, Afterburner 2 was released for the Genesis (all done by sega) and then redone as part of the 2500yen series games for the PS2.

Afterburner for the 360 is still in development. It still looks awesome.

zubisman on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I should've clarified earlier: I meant just GnG in reference to Capcom.

Also, I hear there's a new Afterburner in arcades. I'd love to check it out.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    cj iwakura wrote:
    I should've clarified earlier: I meant just GnG in reference to Capcom.

Also, I hear there's a new Afterburner in arcades. I'd love to check it out.

Oh, well then, yes. GnG IS a Capcom license, even though sega published it for the Genesis. Twice.

To catch you up on the After Burner scene...

After Burner III was released for the Sega CD. It flopped, but I got it and I'm tempted to keep that CD in a vault. It's 3d, and, well, it looks how you'd expect a Sega CD 3d flight simulator to look. It's pretty fun, though, and things look colorful.
    Sega rereleased AfterBurner II in a Saturn Sega Ages collection alongside Space Harrier. Somehow, the colors all look better. I play this before any sort of religous activity, which, if you haven't guessed by now, involves a giant shrine to SEGA, plus pouring salt on all the wounds inflicted by SEGA from it's shitty marketing and the way SEGA abandoned me 3 times (once the genesis when they made the 32x and CD and damn near forced me to buy them, once when they pulled the Saturn out of the market, and once when they pulled the Dreamcast).

After Burner: Climax is the current arcade game. It looks really good and it's really fast paced for a 3d flight game. This is the game that will soon (hopefully) be available on the XBOX 360. If you ever have doubts about the 360s graphical capabilities, I imagine this will settle them... if the port looks half as good as the arcade game.

Then there's also AfterBurner: Black Falcon. I haven't played this since it's for the PSP and isn't coming out until March, but the screenshots I've seen certainly look cool. Suposedly you'll be able to "customize" your planes. Considering that there are 19 real fighter jets, there's going to be some room for individuality. I think they're aiming to utilize the fast pace of the more advanced "Climax", so I'm hoping the PSP is up to the challenge.

zubisman on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    cj iwakura wrote:
    If they have the rights to Gunstar(Treasure made it), then fantastic.
    I am 99% certain that Sega owns the rights to everything Treasure did in their earlier days (Gunstar Heroes, Dynamite Headdy, Alien Soldier, Light Crusader, Guardian Heroes).

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    cj iwakura wrote:
    If they have the rights to Gunstar(Treasure made it), then fantastic.
    I am 99% certain that Sega owns the rights to everything Treasure did in their earlier days (Gunstar Heroes, Dynamite Headdy, Alien Soldier, Light Crusader, Guardian Heroes).

I'm inclined to agree. However, even if Sega DOESN'T own those rights (though that would be odd), Sega still has a decent library to pick games out of. Those Treasure games sure would be nice in a collection, though.

zubisman on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Y'know, I'm looking at this picture of Gunstar Heroes and I can't help but wonder, "Would modern gamers be receptive to a game like this?

http://www.vgmuseum.com/pics4/Gunstar Heroes (GS).gif

It's a really colorful 2d platformer. Yeah, Capcom's Viewtiful Joe is a 2d platformer as well, but it has the trendy cell shading and quality voice acting. Could a game like Gunstar Heroes impress someone who plays all the latest games?

Btw, visit www.vgmuseum.com often if you enjoy talking about retrogaming. The guys that run that site are pretty cool, and they have a TON of shit. Some of it really isn't too helpful sometimes, like when you can think of a game and can't remember the name, but it's also just fun to browse through all their pics.

zubisman on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Oh man, that background is glorious. <3

Glal on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Glal wrote:
    Oh man, that background is glorious. <3

Oh, it's nice, but check out Kolibri in the 32x section
    http://www.vgmuseum.com/32x.htm

zubisman on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    zubisman wrote:
    Y'know, I'm looking at this picture of Gunstar Heroes and I can't help but wonder, "Would modern gamers be receptive to a game like this?

http://www.vgmuseum.com/pics4/Gunstar Heroes (GS).gif

It's a really colorful 2d platformer. Yeah, Capcom's Viewtiful Joe is a 2d platformer as well, but it has the trendy cell shading and quality voice acting. Could a game like Gunstar Heroes impress someone who plays all the latest games?

Btw, visit www.vgmuseum.com often if you enjoy talking about retrogaming. The guys that run that site are pretty cool, and they have a TON of shit. Some of it really isn't too helpful sometimes, like when you can think of a game and can't remember the name, but it's also just fun to browse through all their pics.

Back in the day, GSH WAS trendy. Believe me, the graphic effects it pulled off were far more impressive at the time than VJ's cell shading.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Having the Shining Force games, more Sonic, and the Genesis version of Virtua Racing would be awesome in a new collection.

I really wish that we would have gotten the Ages 2500 games (even though a bunch of them were in the Classics Collection). Some of them seem awesome, but they are way to expensive to import. I only have Golden Axe (I got it from a friend), and it was ok, but there are some really awesome looking games that would be great to play in English.

Einhander on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I loved Mickey Mania. and bubsy Rocket Knight was good and so was B.O.B. Ecco the Dolphin is still one of my favorite games of that genration. Such a simple, yet hard ass game. I miss you you god damned net fodder!

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Einhander wrote:
    Some of them seem awesome, but they are way to expensive to import.
    They're budget titles. :P

I wouldn't buy some of them for $25 a pop either, but the Gunstar Heroes disc comes with 3 games that would cost you about ~$120-$150 to buy separately plus extras.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Are any of the Shining titles on here? I'd like to check out an old-school strategy title.

Samphis on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    No. But Shining Force is on the Sega Smash Pack. Every time someone brings up games that are on that but not this, I have to wonder how you Sega 'fans' don't have a Dreamcast...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Reynolds wrote:
    No. But Shining Force is on the Sega Smash Pack. Every time someone brings up games that are on that but not this, I have to wonder how you Sega 'fans' don't have a Dreamcast...

If you were a true Sega 'fan', you'd know why most people don't play Shining Force on the Smashpack. Most people with functional ears, anyway.

Shithead.

Einhander on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sound is definately the most important part of video games. Fuck gameplay or graphics. I know many blind people that love to turn on a video game and randomly hit buttons to listen to the pretty sounds.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I didn't know the Smashpack had Shining Force... I thought it was just usual suspects like Columns, Altered Beast, Ecco, Sonic, etc.

Well, maybe if I ever see it lying around.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SynonymousSynonymous Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    JP only.

Hence "Mega Drive" and the "fudging it" qualifier.

ETA: The Mega Drive Phantasy Star is indeed the same gameplay-wise, but it does have a sound quality upgrade.

Synonymous on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Reynolds wrote:
    have to wonder how you Sega 'fans' don't have a Dreamcast...

I have four DreamCasts.

zubisman on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Malkor wrote:
    I loved Mickey Mania. and bubsy Rocket Knight was good and so was B.O.B. Ecco the Dolphin is still one of my favorite games of that genration. Such a simple, yet hard ass game. I miss you you god damned net fodder!

Bubsy (like how I enlarged it?) was an Accolade published game, sadly, so we'll probably never see it again, especially after they fucked it up so badly by throwing it into 3d and shitting all over it. Bubsy 2 for the Genesis was just as good as the original.

The last Bubsy worth playing was, interestingly enough, an Atari Jaguar title called "Bubsy in Fractured Fairy Tales", but even it showed the direction the series was going: down.

B.O.B. was published by E.A. and made by...erm...some company that started with the name "Chris" (this sticks out in my mind cause I recall thinking who the hell puts their whole name in their company title?) and will likewise never be seen again. Some of my nerd(ier) friends still argue about whether the game was better on the SNES or Genesis. I say Genesis...

Mickey Mania was probably the only Disney game aside from Aladdin that I really liked. It was made for the Genesis, SNES, and Sega CD and was published by Sony Imagesoft, which I imagine was absorbed back into Sony when Sony launched the PS1.

Rocket Knight remains the best Platformer to feature a sword-wielding possum with a rocket attached to its ass...except for maybe Rocket Knight's slightly collectable sequel "Sparkster". I wonder if Konami will ever rerelease THOSE for a go on a current-gen system?

zubisman on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    zubisman wrote:
    Malkor wrote:

Bubsy (like how I enlarged it?) was an Accolade published game, sadly, so we'll probably never see it again, especially after they fucked it up so badly by throwing it into 3d and shitting all over it. Bubsy 2 for the Genesis was just as good as the original.

The last Bubsy worth playing was, interestingly enough, an Atari Jaguar title called "Bubsy in Fractured Fairy Tales", but even it showed the direction the series was going: down.

B.O.B. was published by E.A. and made by...erm...some company that started with the name "Chris" (this sticks out in my mind cause I recall thinking who the hell puts their whole name in their company title?) and will likewise never be seen again. Some of my nerd(ier) friends still argue about whether the game was better on the SNES or Genesis. I say Genesis...

Mickey Mania was probably the only Disney game aside from Aladdin that I really liked. It was made for the Genesis, SNES, and Sega CD and was published by Sony Imagesoft, which I imagine was absorbed back into Sony when Sony launched the PS1.

That's too bad, since Sony Imagesoft were involved in some of my favorite Sega CD games. I used to look for the falling feather as a seal of quality.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    B.O.B. is available on EA Replay for the PSP along with a few other badass games.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish