As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Kanye West Appreciation Thread

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2009
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Unprofessional? What is this, accounting?

I'm not talking about the outburst now, although it'd be nice if he had just an ounce of class,

i'm talking about the whole bonnaroo thing i'm probably never gonna get over.

I googled the bonnaroo thing, and is that is shitty.

Now, to the other thing: these people are boring. The vast majority of people at the VMAs alternate between making shitty to mediocre forgettableness and being boring. I'm for spicing it up, and since there's little of the institution to respect, I'm all for Kanye and anyone who wants to piss all over it.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Am I the only one who didn't even know about Kanye until his Gold Digger song came out?

Like, I knew he'd been around before that, but I didn't really care.

Godfather on
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/what-if-kanye-west-is-retarded/

About sums it up for me, the typing in all caps is mentioned I think...

Venkman90 on
  • mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    _J_ wrote: »
    I’M NOT CRAZY YALL, I’M JUST REAL.

I can't stop laughing.

Wait. Is that a legit apology? Surely not?

mooshoepork on
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    _J_ wrote: »

I can't stop laughing.

Wait. Is that a legit apology? Surely not?

It works on so many levels.

_J_ on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    He's an arrogant douche and one of the reasons modern commercial rap sucks ass. People only think he can rock a mic because they're comparing him to fucking 50 Cent.

Put him on a stage with Raekwon or Ghostface or hell, Eminem (and I mean current Em, not the Marshall Mathers LP Em), and watch him get ethered in under 16 bars.

No wonder hip-hop is dying. MTV is helping kill it by letting Kanye on air. Real emcees step to emcees, not to freaking country singers. Jay shoulda just kept him on beats.

On topic - that was reminiscent of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2-5GSjZvW8&eurl

Of course, ODB was a crazy crackhead whose antics mostly stemmed from being, well, a crazy crackhead. Kanye is just some whiner who grew up in Mr. Rodger's Neighborhood.

BubbaT on
  • MannenbroughMannenbrough Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kanye West wrote:
    Sometimes people write novels and they just be so wordy and so self-absorbed. I am not a fan of books. I would never want a book’s autograph. I am a proud non-reader of books. I like to get information from doing stuff like actually talking to people and living real life.
    http://tinyurl.com/qrmwfa

I love a lot of this man's music, but just eggghghhhhhh.

Sometimes I just can't believe he is actually like this.

Mannenbrough on
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kanye West is a fucking moron.

Didn't he say that he should be in the bible? I'm pretty sure it was him.

Yeah, fuck that guy.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    Am I the only one who didn't even know about Kanye until his Gold Digger song came out?

Like, I knew he'd been around before that, but I didn't really care.
    Gah, that song. Its so fun and catchy, and Jamie Foxx's singing is awesome, but the douchebag backlash paranoia it taps into makes me stabby.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    3. kanye west 798 up, 195 down
    A gay fish.
    Kanye West is a gay fish, not a motherfuckin' lyrical genius.

uh, what am I missing here?

Hey mooshoe, do you like fish sticks?

Do you enjoy putting them in your mouth?

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • VeeVee Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fuck Kanye West. He was a total cunt.

Also, Beyonce was so classy to give Taylor Swift her moment.

Vee on
    edited September 2009
    It's kinda funny to see so-called "musicians" getting upset over who wins awards from a channel that doesn't even play music in the first place. It's like being upset that you didn't win an ESPN Music Award, or a Fox Excellence in Journalism Award. I figured they just gave the awards to whoever's songs are played during those stock footage montages from The Hills.

BubbaT on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2009
    425.Swift.West.cm.091309.jpg

That's really beautiful. It has a nice Myeresque quality.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited September 2009
    Remembered that Kanye threw a hissyfit at MTV last year too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-631TgPP2s

BubbaT on
    edited September 2009
    Taylor Swift doesn't look nearly as hot there as she does in her music videos, this is much more surprising than the fact that Kanye is a douche.

Stars acting stupid.

With great fame, comes great stupidity? Why can't we have scientists as celebrities again?

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    When you put a mic in front of a scientist they also say really dumb things

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited September 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »

At least scientists generally do great things for humanity.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Thats because Scientist are not supposed to stand infront of mic's. They are supposed to be in their labs doing SCIENCE!

As for Kanye I like Jesus walks song of his, apart from that, meh.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
    edited September 2009
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    Unprofessional? What is this, accounting?

I'm not talking about the outburst now, although it'd be nice if he had just an ounce of class,

I can't teach you my swag
    you can pay for school but you can't buy class

- Mr. Beyonce (aka Jay-Z)

Actually, a few more diva moments from Kanye and he'll be showing up the next inaguration with a windmill on his head.

BubbaT on
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Remembered that Kanye threw a hissyfit at MTV last year too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-631TgPP2s
    Watching that all I could think of was Dave Chappelle's Rick James skit.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Taranis wrote: »
    Taylor Swift doesn't look nearly as hot there as she does in her music videos, this is much more surprising than the fact that Kanye is a douche.

I always thought she had a rat face.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • AnomeAnome Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/what-if-kanye-west-is-retarded/

About sums it up for me, the typing in all caps is mentioned I think...

I saw this thread and that article was the first thing I thought of. Kinda disappointed I was beaten to it.

But yeah, I really really do not like Kanye West. His music is not my genre and his publicity crap annoys the hell out out of me.

Anome on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Police are in my top 2 all time favorite bands.

The first time I would ever see the Police live, after years of thinking I never would, was Live Earth.

It was amazing. I clapped until my hands were raw when the came out and opened with "Driven To Tears".

The set is going along (Live Earth had 4 song sets), and they're closing with Message In a Bottle. I then notice that John Mayer is on stage. John Mayer - while I'm not a huge fan of his slower, solo stuff - is a fucking phenominal blues guitarist, and I am so excited to hear him just WAIL on that outro. This is a once in a lifetime experience.

...Then Kanye comes out, yells "Message in a BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHTTLE" over and over and destroys what should have been one of my best memories. Fuck that guy.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    man, that guy's a dick.

this is in regards to the taylor swift thing. bush obviously didn't love black people.

Dynagrip on
  • HKPacman420HKPacman420 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Taylor Swift is good, but Beyonce is for the children.

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    In all fairness, George Bush really doesn't care about black people.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tell me again why people care about what celebrities do?

VoodooV on
  • KoolaidguyKoolaidguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »

Even Gorden Freeman.

Koolaidguy on
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    mxmarks wrote: »

The first time I would ever see the Police live, after years of thinking I never would, was Live Earth.

It was amazing. I clapped until my hands were raw when the came out and opened with "Driven To Tears".

The set is going along (Live Earth had 4 song sets), and they're closing with Message In a Bottle. I then notice that John Mayer is on stage. John Mayer - while I'm not a huge fan of his slower, solo stuff - is a fucking phenominal blues guitarist, and I am so excited to hear him just WAIL on that outro. This is a once in a lifetime experience.

...Then Kanye comes out, yells "Message in a BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHTTLE" over and over and destroys what should have been one of my best memories. Fuck that guy.

D:

My dad loved The Police, he got me into them, I can only imagine how much suck it must have been to have that tourettes suffering retard ruin it.

Venkman90 on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    mxmarks wrote: »

As linked earlier, if you view everything through the "What if Kanye West is retarded" lens, it actually makes sense.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The only Kanye West song I've ever liked was the one that had the "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" sample in it, and that's only because I like Daft Punk.

So I guess you could say I enjoyed the Daft Punk song that Kanye co-starred in.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What makes me laugh about that book quote attributed to Kanye is that I believe his mother was a college professor.

Regardless, he is a person who I think, to my disgust, realizes how idiotic his persona is and just hams it up in order to keep the focus on him. I don't believe he's a giant fool and I don't think he believes in a good 90% of the shit that comes out of his mouth. This is how he makes money. The more I think about it, the more I think pro-wrestling and the top-40/rap/pop scene have in common in terms of personas and having heroes and villains.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    In all fairness, George Bush really doesn't care about black people.

But did you really need Kanye to tell you that?

Kanye West no longer exists. His ego grew so larger that it took on a life of it's own, ate the real Kayne West, and has been masquerading as him ever since.

Dalboz on
  • WankWank Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That Obama remix is hilarious.

Wank on
  • SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that he doesn't believe in a lot of the shit he says, just that he knows he probably shouldn't say them in any real social setting and elects to because money.

I mean, he probably thought he was being SUPER REAL with the george bush black people thing.

Snork on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Shoggoth wrote: »
    You know who fucked up? Taylor Swift.

She could have put him down so hard.
    Sweep the leg, Taylor.

GungHo on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Laura Ingraham was talking about the VMAs on her show this morning, implying West was a racist and extremely rude for interrupting. The thing is, she applauds Joe Wilson for interrupting Obama.

emnmnme on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Laura Ingraham was talking about the VMAs on her show this morning, implying West was a racist and extremely rude for interrupting. The thing is, she applauds Joe Wilson for interrupting Obama.

Well, Laura Ingraham is an idiot, so there is that.

Over on Salon, there is a story regarding celebrity/musician reaction to Kanye's stunt. Apparently Pink had to be restrained by security afterwards.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Archgarth wrote: »
    Over on Salon, there is a story regarding celebrity/musician reaction to Kanye's stunt. Apparently Pink had to be restrained by security afterwards.

Restrained by security? Wow. Got a link?

emnmnme on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Hypocrisy? From a talking head?

.... I can't even finish this joke.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.