As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[RP-BSG] Beyond the Red Line (Writer's Strike)

• Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    "Basestar's launching more raiders. They're going to head right into the godsdamn civvie traffic. What the frak is Starbuck doing?" Colonel Tigh growls under his breath, focused on the DRADIS screen. Adama doesn't have a good answer.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    NosajiNosaji Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Actually, I'm a "cylon player", so I shouldn't get a crisis on my turn.

Nosaji on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I guess it didn't go back through over AIM, but I'll take one of each.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Arivia has had cards for a good long time now. If we don't hear back soon we'll pull in a sub and move on.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Starbuck finally ran into the hangar, buckling the last few straps on her flight gear. "Chief!"

"Yes, sir, viper's ready!" Tyrol shouted back at her, Cally and a few others pushing the Mark II into place.

"Get the launch tube ready!" Kara almost vaulted the lift up to the cockpit, leaping into her seat and forcing the seal shut around her neck. Tyrol had just enough time to drop a helmet on her head before she pushed the lift away and began to head down the tube.

"Lt. Thrace, you are cleared for ---" but Starbuck was already gone, the Viper zooming out and slipping around Galactica, taking a position over the beleaguered civilian ships.

In the Viper, Starbuck let go of the controls for just a second, long enough to rest the helmet and smile. "Don't worry, the big guns are here." She toggled her radio. "Pegasus Actual, this is Lieutenant Thrace. In defensive position."
    Launch viper at 5 o'clock; use action to move to 3 o'clock. Contingency incoming to your inbox, Hylianbunny.

I have a good set of piloting tricks in my hand, but I'm playing conservatively with the basestar around. If we're having trouble, toss an XO my way and I can light things up out here.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    "Sitrep, Mr. Gaeta. Why are our jump preparations taking so long?" Commander Adama barks as he watches the raiders by Galactica drift closer and closer to the civilian fleet. One hand seems to be busy fiddling with something small and shiny. Gaeta is about to speak up when something catches his eye. After a moment his eyes widen. "Uh, Commander, you had better take a look at this..."
    Crisis

Cylon Virus (Difficulty 13, Tactics, Engineering)

Pass: No effect.
    Fail: All characters in FTL Control are sent to Sickbay. Place 1 centurion at the start of the boarding party track.

<launch raiders>

Contributions

Destiny Deck: 2 cards
    Starbuck: ?
    Baltar: ?
    Dee: ?
    Cain: ?
    Roslin: ?
    Leoben: ?

Keep your eyes on the thread, boys, girls and Cylons, we're picking up the pace.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Glancing out a window, Leoben sees the engines on Galactica shudder for just a moment. He knows too well what is about to happen: the virus uploaded by a cylon agent (a six, he guessed) had just come alive and was going to start turning ship systems against themselves. Unless they've got some real electronics talent over there, Leoben thinks to himself, they don't stand a chance at destroying the virus. If they were smart they'd just let it run its course and clean up the mess later.

Nosaji on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Looking around the room, Baltar beams a little with pride. He'd fixed up the storage locker he'd been allocated into quite the little research laboratory - there was a computer there, a table there, a bed over in the other corner. All he needed to do now was go into the mess hall and find a few women who would love to see the newly-furnished room of the brilliant Gaius Baltar.

Unfortunately, any mingling would have to wait a while; into the room strides two guards and Karl Agathon, all of whom look quiet blustered and in a hurry. They grab Baltar by the arm and force him to walk with them. "Sorry to be in such a hurry about this," Karl says briskly, "But there's a crisis in the command and we need your scientific knowledge to help."

Updated on the situation along the way, Baltar eventually finds himself standing in the command deck, next to Adama and Gaeta. There's some tense moments as he tries to get his opinion across, but Adama is too stubborn to listen.

Struggling to keep his cool, Baltar repeats himself one more - "The only damage potential is towards people currently in the FTL Control. If we evacuate them, and let the virus run its course, we'll avoid wasting precious time and resources. Anything in the aftermath can be dealt with at an appropriate time, but we musn't waste what dwindling resources the fleet has."
    I'm suggesting we tank the check, if you didn't gather that.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Tanking it sounds fine to me. No cards.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    dunedainjedidunedainjedi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll put an IC up later tonight. No Cards sounds fine.

Also are we planning on keeping roslin as president? because D:

dunedainjedi on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll be trying to fix that next turn.

Also, zero cards.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    TheMadjaiTheMadjai Sir Madjai of SanSan MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    "Admiral, Galactica reports a total system loss. Navigation, Tactics, DRADIS, all displays are shorting out. They've determined the cause as a latent cylon virus on their network."
    Cain looks over at the Lieutenant. "Is there anything that the Pegasus can do?"
    "Negative, Admiral. If we link our system with theirs, we run the risk of infecting our operations as well."
    "Very well, lieutenant. Bring Pegasus around to the fore of Galactica and advise Commander Adama that we are standing by to assist in any way possible."
    No cards

TheMadjai on
    "Yeah, TheMadjai knows whats up." --Lardalish

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Conquest, Star Realms
  • Options
    NamiNami Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    No cards Will do an IC post later tonight. Ick, flu. I also do not understand what the problem with Roslin being president is when we haven't even finished one round of turns. :/

Nami on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    0 cards

Nosaji on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Dee and Billy were sitting on a blanket in a mostly unused hallway near sickbay. Billy had managed to find a picnic basket and some fresh fruit. Well one apple, and she wasn't sure how many favors it had taken to get it.

"So why exactly is the president's aid able to not work and take me on all these lovely dates?"

"The president isn't feeling well and she's here to see Doc Cottle."

"But you were here yesterday too. And the day before that."

"The president needs to visit the Doctor a lot. Look at it this way, each time she does you get to see me."
    Terminal Illness makes Roslin a horrible president since the president is most effective in the office farming the quorum deck. Roslin is great for XOing people and playing consolidate powers to get extra skill cards. Basically we should be able to pass more checks and use everyone more effectively with a non roslin president.

dunedainjedi on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Cain stares up into the DRADIS display.

"Mr. Fisk, why aren't we moving?"
    Seriously, you guys?

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Baltar stands tall in the command deck, but silence reigns in the room.

Adama is glaring at a screen, waiting for something to change.

You did so well, Gaius.

Baltar smiles as Six comforts him, assures him he had done a good job. It had taken a lot of convincing, but the word had eventually spread throughout the fleet that there was to be no action taken about the virus, beyond evacuating what skeleton crew was down there already. His word. His decision.

You've got a real talent for leadership.

You should be the President.

Baltar smiled as he waited. "Now, there's a thought..."
    We're just waiting on hBunny to update.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Power continues to flicker all over the ship as the cylon virus attacks Galactica's systems - before Gaeta is able to get the situation under control, reports are streaming in from the lower decks of the ship of ominous metal footsteps clanking towards auxiliary fire control.
    Terribly sorry, guys. It's been a busy 24 hours. I'll edit the update into this post. Starbuck drew Leadership last turn.
    Crisis: Cylon Virus
    Destiny Deck: 2 cards
    Cain: 0 cards
    Roslin: 0 cards
    Leoben: 0 cards
    Starbuck: 0 cards
    Baltar: 0 cards
    Dee: 0 cards

---
    Leadership 1 (Executive Order)

Politics 1 (Consolidate Power)

0 - 1 - 1 = -2: FAIL

One centurion has boarded Galactica.
    Additional raiders have launched from the Basestar in front of Galactica.

Current Status
    TheMadjai as Admiral Helena Cain - Pegasus CIC - 3 cards
    Nami as President Laura Roslin - President's Office - 2 cards
    Nosaji as Leoben - Human Fleet - 5 cards
    Arivia as Kara 'Starbuck' Thrace - Viper at 3 O'Clock - 8 cards
    simonwolf as Dr. Gaius Baltar - Research Lab - 1 card
    dunedainjedi as Anastasia 'Dee' Dualla - Communications - 2 cards

Resources

Fuel 8. Food 8. Morale 10. Population 12.
    Jump Track: [No Jump] [No Jump] [No Jump] [-3 pop] [-1 pop]
    Distance Traveled: 0
    Boarding Party: [Centurion] [Clear] [Clear] [Clear] [Human Loss]
    Raptors: 4 In Reserve, 0 Destroyed
    Vipers: 5 in Reserve, 0 Damaged, 0 Destroyed
    Nukes: 2
    Galactica Damage: None
    Pegasus Damage: Engine Room

Space

1 O'Clock: 3 Raiders
    3 O'Clock: 2 Civilians, Starbuck
    5 O'Clock: => 1 Viper
    7 O'Clock: => 1 Viper
    9 O'Clock: Basestar, 3 Raiders
    11 O'Clock: <clear>

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The basestar launches 3 raiders on the launch icon, not 2.

Also, what card did Starbuck draw for her multidraw at the start of her turn? "One of each" doesn't make sense...

Nosaji on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It has been a busy and tiring day for everyone in the fleet, and all most people on Colonial One want is to get into a warm bunk and rest until the start of a new "day", whatever that meant to a fleet floating in deepspace. But there's a movement in the ship, for the word has passed around that one Gaius Baltar is heading over on a Raptor, coming to visit the ship along with the entire Quorom.

Yes, that's right, the Gaius Baltar.

Everyone hurries to meet in the Administration room to greet their unexpected guests, but nobody seems to expect what is going to be said. That is, of course, until Baltar states his intention quite clearly, and quite strongly.

"In the interests of the fleet," he said, "And with the blessing of certain members of the Quorom, I have decided to nominate myself to replace you as President of the Twelve Colonies. At least, until the sickness you have been seeing Doctor Cottle for has wound down."

There was no way the present administration could object, not with the Quorom backing up Baltar's proposition. Still, this was meant to be some kind of democracy; there would have to be an election.

Don't worry, Gaius. It's all part of the plan...
    Discarding 1 Politics to move to Administration on Colonial One.

Activating Administration to nominate Baltar for the election.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Baltar was right - there was little Roslin could say against her opposition. Freedom of Speech can only be partnered with Freedom of Choice.

Detached from the commotion in the press room, Laura continues to chastise Billy. "You've lost perspective." She says, "While you were rendezvousing outside the sick room, you were holding Miss Dualla from her duties - during a crisis. I may have cancer, but it hasn't gone to my ears yet."

She crosses her arms, frowning; "I have half the mind to kick you from my office with the expectation you will never return." There is an awkward moment of silence before a smirk flitters across Laura's lips, "However, we all seem to be going mad; certainly I can't hold one moment of ambiguity against all the good you have done here."

"The Quorom has certainly gone mad." Billy says with distaste in his voice.

Laura's smile seems to deepen against the aura of tension filling the room. "It was my profound error to let my guard down in this office; however... If it's political games Baltar is after; political games he shall have. Besides; the man reeks of deception. The day he is elected is they day I realize we all truly have gone mad."
    There is more than one way to play this game - and likely my strategy differs from yours. I didn’t join this game to be judged on my character selection rather than my ability to play a role. I would also prefer you don’t move my character IC to try and prove an OOC point – especially when I had already stated I was working on a post.

Adding 0 cards.

Nami on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The radio signal across the fleet comes alive with an announcement from the President's Office. Word of the election needs to be spread quickly, and this is the most effective means of delivering it; besides, reminding the people of the Twelve Colonies that despite the tragedy the political process will continue to be democratic is good for morale.

Baltar's voice, announcing himself from the press room, is beamed to every ship.

"People of the Twelve Colonies," he says, clear in tone, "This is Doctor Gaius Baltar. As you are all aware, the human race has been struck by tragedy; but tragedy does not wait for us to recover, tragedy strikes us when we least expect it, and when we are down already."

Go on, Gaius. Say it.

"I was getting t- ahem. Sadly, even our President is not immune to such terrible events - she has been diagnosed with an incurable cancer, and in the interests of you, the people of the Twelve Colonies, the Quorom has decided to nominate myself as her replacement. Of course, we cannot force this on you - there must be an election to ratify this proposal."

Pausing to let this sink in, Baltar concludes, "For the good of the Twelve Colonies, and the people therein, I hope that you will allow me to serve as your President in this, our darkest hour."

The radio crackles in silence - and then, the noise begins from all across the fleet.

The election begins.
    Two cards.

Nami - there are many ways to play this game, and many strategies, this is true! However, you are playing with multiple people, who each have their own strategies. I think Roslin is an excellent character, overall (her regular power is almost broken, it's so good), but she is not the best choice for President in my, and others, opinion.

This isn't a judgement on your character selection, it's a judgement on the optimal way (by consensus) for us to survive all the way to Kobol.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Sorry Simon, I didn't mean for my post to come off as me having a problem with Baltar running for election - because I don't. It was only to be expected. What bothered me is that when I questioned Dune’s OOC post he blatantly told me how Roslin should be played and altered my character's location IC to try and prove his point. To me, this was distasteful. I'm a firm believer that it's not in the number of cards you have; it's how you play them. As far as Roslin being a poor choice, perhaps. But let me tell you, I've been in a game where I held both the President and Admiral position with her for over half the game, and we still won. :P

Nami on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Cain orders the crew of the Pegasus to abstain from this vote. "We do not get involved in political struggles. We are the military, and while it is our right to vote for representation, we do not take part in impeachments."
    0 cards

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I can't pull off this check by myself - contributions would be greatly appreciated.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    1 card

dunedainjedi on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Leoben sat with his new friends, waiting for civilian traffic to resume and listening to the broadcasts on the public bands. Baltar was apparently winning popular support in his sudden election for presidency, but only through personal attacks on Laura Roslin.

"So you're telling me that the public is having trouble deciding between a president who is egotisitical, cowardly, and short-sighted," Leoben wonders to the group, "and a president with cancer?"
    1 card

Nosaji on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Starbuck clicked in her line back to Galactica once more. "CIC, this is Starbuck. I don't know what you're doing holding an election in the middle of a firefight - get back here, you frakking toaster - but I support Baltar as President of the Twelve Colonies.
    One card.

My apologies for the delay, was waiting for a skill check post from Hylian as I've never done an actual election check before.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    James McManus taps on his microphone as he continues to broadcast over the wireless.

"...we have some more votes coming in here. Still not done. But what we have so far is 6,282 more votes for Baltar, which puts his total now to 21,569. Is that--that correct? And we also have Roslin. Her total now is at 17,754. We've had 2,981 more votes come in for Roslin at this time. So that is how things are looking at this point. We'll continue to bring you up-to-the-minute coverage... "
    Administration

Pass: Gaius Baltar (simonwolf) is elected President of the Twelve Colonies.
    Fail: Laura Roslin (Nami) retains the Presidency.

Leadership 2 (Executive Order)
    Leadership 2 (Executive Order)
    Leadership 3 (Declare Emergency)

Politics 2 (Consolidate Power)

Piloting 2 (Evasive Maneuvers)
    Piloting 3 (Run Interference)

Engineering 3 (Calculations)

7 + 2 - 5 - 3 = 1

Laura Roslin has retained the Presidency.

"...we're going to check these again, but Laura Roslin appears to have retained the presidency in a tight race between herself and Baltar. Uh, again, we--we would, of course, like to check those numbers, if we could. But it appears that Laura Roslin has retained the presidency in defiance of surveyors of gloom and doom. I am James McManus. We'll check those numbers and we'll be back to you very shortly. Thank you."

"Frakking civilians, wasting our time." Tigh continues to mutter as he watches the situation outside. Within moments a shrill beeping echoes through the CIC.

"DRADIS contact, Cylon baseship, bearing 210 carom 390!"
    Crisis

Cylon Swarm

1. Activate

Basestars are activated: 1d8=3 - one shot barely misses Galactica.

2. Setup

3 O'Clock: 1 Civilian Ship
    5 O'Clock: => 1 Viper, 1 Civilian Ship
    7 O'Clock: => 1 Viper, 1 Civilian Ship
    9 O'Clock:, Basestar, 5 Raiders
    11 O'Clock: 1 Heavy Raider

3. Special Rule

Massive Deployment

Keep this card in play until the fleet jumps. Each time a basestar launches raiders or heavy raiders, it launches 1 additional ship of the same type.
    Current Status

TheMadjai as Admiral Helena Cain - Pegasus CIC - 3 cards
    Nami as President Laura Roslin - President's Office - 2 cards
    Nosaji as Leoben - Human Fleet - 4 cards
    Arivia as Kara 'Starbuck' Thrace - Viper at 3 O'Clock - 8 cards
    simonwolf as Dr. Gaius Baltar - Administration - 3 card
    dunedainjedi as Anastasia 'Dee' Dualla - Communications - 6 cards

Resources

Fuel 8. Food 8. Morale 10. Population 12.
    Jump Track: [No Jump] [No Jump] [No Jump] [-3 pop] [-1 pop]
    Distance Traveled: 0
    Boarding Party: [Centurion] [Clear] [Clear] [Clear] [Human Loss]
    Raptors: 4 In Reserve, 0 Destroyed
    Vipers: 5 in Reserve, 0 Damaged, 0 Destroyed
    Nukes: 2
    Galactica Damage: None
    Pegasus Damage: Engine Room

Space

1 O'Clock: 3 Raiders
    3 O'Clock: 3 Civilian Ships, Starbuck
    5 O'Clock: => 1 Civilian Ship, 2 Vipers
    7 O'Clock: => 1 Civilian Ship, 2 Vipers
    9 O'Clock: 2 Basestars, 8 Raiders
    11 O'Clock: 1 Heavy Raider

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Cylons. Apparently the basestar had called for reinforcement. The Galactica and Pegasus had just stepped up to condition one, the situation was officially critical.

"Dualla. Get a hold of those civies, we need to move them out of harms way. Now."

"Yessir" Dee picked up the phone, it was time to get to work.
    Play tactics 4 critical situation and activate communications.

dunedainjedi on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    XOing me would be a REALLY GOOD IDEA.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Didn't draw one. Plus Cain should be blowing the shit out of everything with main batteries.

dunedainjedi on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Cain overhears chatter on the wireless from her CAG. Without speaking to anyone, she picks up the phone and nods to the communications officer. He knows what she wants.

"CAG, this is Pegasus actual. Be advised, the fleet has limited resources, and asking for things that cannot be given is a waste of our time and yours. Please keep that in mind in the future." Cain hangs up the phone before waiting for an answer.
    Can't XO on a turn where a Crit Sit was played. :)

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Roslin leans back in her chair as Billy flips off the radio. ‘Laura Roslin has retained the presidency.’ With those five words, the tension seemed to filter from the room.

Turning to face Roslin as he straightens his tie, Billy says "The press room will be buzzing for an interview soon."

Roslin leans forwards suddenly, tapping her fingers on her desk. "I know; but I need a moment of thought before I can meet their questions."

Tilting his head inquisitively, Billy frowns, "Did you not have something prepared? You didn't honestly consider you would lose the election, Ma’am?"

Roslin smirks as she raises a hand to remove her glasses, "Gods, no. I have been thinking on the concerns that caused rise to this needless election in the first place. My passing. The concern that a military dictatorship would take place, if such a course of fate was to happen."

Billy frowns, "Anyone can die - Madame. You know this, the count goes down every-"

"I do not consider my illness an infraction on my judgment within this office." She slides a piece of paper forward. "The candidates I am considering... for vice presidency."

Billy raises the paper between his fingers, and gazes at her over the brim, "Perhaps we should consider a stricter regulation on your Chamalla doses, Madame President."

Nami on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    "Dee, get on the horn, contact the civilian ships still within range of the Cylon fleet. Direct them to safe areas as necessary during jump preparations." Adama says, terse, as he watches the action about to unfold. Nodding, Dee immediately begins to get in touch with the captains of the civilian fleet.
    Communications report sent. Any movements?

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Dune's been AWOL for 24 hours, so something went down.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Baltar does still need his intuition draw. What would you like, simonwolf?

If dunedainjedi doesn't check in by noon EST tomorrow we'll grab the first reserve and press onwards.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'll take Politics, thank you.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Some of the captains initally seemed confused at the orders, but they were reminded that the enemy was about to blow them up they stopped asking questions and did what you told them to do. When people think you have their best interest at heart they are very trusting. Too trusting in fact.

Like sheep to the slaughter.
    All three ships at three o clock to one o clock
    Five o clock to three o clock
    7 o clock to nine o clock

Lanch scout(tac 1) at the crisis deck.

And I'm sorry about the wait.

dunedainjedi on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    "Sir?"
    "What is it, lieu--" Cain looked up on DRADIS and saw the problem immediately. The civilian fleet was moving. Moving TOWARDS the cylons. "What the Frak..." Her mind flashed. "Cut off all communication from Galactica to the fleet. Do it right FRAKING NOW. Call those ships back, move them back from the basestars, they're going to get eaten alive."
    "Aye, sir."
    But it was too late.
    "Admiral, the civilian ships are not responding to hails. We are getting static on all frequencies. Galactica reports..."
    A pause.
    "What, lieutenant?"
    "Sir, Galactica has gone radio silent. Communications logs prior to silence indicate that Galactica's communications array is jamming the civilian ships. All communication to and from Galactica is cut off... sir."

Cain turned to Fisk. "You leave right now. Take a platoon of marines and get me that ship back."

TheMadjai on

CURRENTLY PLAYING: