Options

Boobytrapping software for filesharing sites

• Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    edit: and as Falcon pointed out from my previous posts, it's not even the actual game. It's something that looks like the game in name only.

That's all I wanted to know. Thanks. :)

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    edit: and as Falcon pointed out from my previous posts, it's not even the actual game. It's something that looks like the game in name only. Once it's loaded, it presents itself as a format tool. The entire intent is to waste time, which is awesome because making the dummy versions only takes 10 seconds for me to do and 30 seconds to compile.
    Regardless of whether or not your tool can be legally shown to be malware or a trojan, if I were a lawyer for a major game publisher and I found out that you were circulating this tool disguised as one of my client's products, I would sue the pants off you because what you're doing could reflect very poorly on the publishers themselves. These companies spend millions of dollars and hundreds of thousands of man-hours making sure their marks aren't on anything that could bring negative attention to them. They wouldn't make an exception for you just because you think two wrongs make a right.

You are wasting your time while exposing yourself to potential legal action. Quit while you're ahead.

Azio on
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The legal advice Fyrewulff referenced makes it sound like it's okay because and only because it's sufficiently distanced from being malware. So, really, it has no bearing on the topic, as much as he'd like to pretend it does.

Seol on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Azio wrote: »
    edit: and as Falcon pointed out from my previous posts, it's not even the actual game. It's something that looks like the game in name only. Once it's loaded, it presents itself as a format tool. The entire intent is to waste time, which is awesome because making the dummy versions only takes 10 seconds for me to do and 30 seconds to compile.
    Regardless of whether or not your tool can be legally shown to be malware or a trojan, if I were a lawyer for a major game publisher and I found out that you were circulating this tool disguised as one of my client's products, I would sue the pants off you because what you're doing could reflect very poorly on the publishers themselves.

It's disguised as one of his games.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You can do whatever you want to a user's computer if you explain it and then ask them to click "yes" beforehand.

To suggest that's illegal is ludicrous.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well whatever, he can do what he wants, it's his product. No sane publisher would do that though.

Azio on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Azio wrote: »
    Regardless of whether or not your tool can be legally shown to be malware or a trojan, if I were a lawyer for a major game publisher and I found out that you were circulating this tool disguised as one of my client's products, I would sue the pants off you because what you're doing could reflect very poorly on the publishers themselves. These companies spend millions of dollars and hundreds of thousands of man-hours making sure their marks aren't on anything that could bring negative attention to them. Something like this would probably be taken very seriously.

You are wasting your time while exposing yourself to potential legal action. Quit while you're ahead.

So you'd behave like one of those asshole companies who doesn't think anyone can mock or defame their property in a public setting? You'd be suing the people who say it's buggy, whether it is or not, suing the reviewers for costing you sales when they say they don't like the gameplay, suing the deviantartists drawing the characters doing perverted things...

If I posted Fallout3.exe on a torrent site but the program actually erased your hard drive, and it became a big enough complaint that anyone actually took notice, Bethesda might issue a press release saying "we are not affliated with the creators of any random exes you may find floating around the internet." They probably wouldn't even do that much but we're "what-iffing" here, so.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Actually they would probably send you a very angry letter threatening legal action because you've circulated malware posing as "Fallout 3™ a game by Bethesda Softworks®"

And what would be the point, nobody is going to download a single .exe posted by an anonymous user, that's just dumb

Azio on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Threatening legal action because they know very well that any action they would take would never hold up in court.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Even if it didn't hold up -- and it would because what we're discussing is a form of infringement in and of itself -- Bethesda has enough money and lawyers to bleed you dry before you ever even get to see the inside of a courtroom.

Also American civil courts have a consistent track record of siding with the plaintiff in infringement cases so even if you got your day in court, you'd probably still lose.

Azio on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Again, I don't see why drowning filesharing sites with rickrolled decoys would be so awful. Pirates would get frustrated if every software developer banded together and agreed to do it.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Rickrolls are the next stage.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Again, I don't see why drowning filesharing sites with rickrolled decoys would be so awful. Pirates would get frustrated if every software developer banded together and agreed to do it.
    a handful of pirates would get frustrated for about five fucking minutes and then they would find a way to avoid ever having to deal with those spoof copies and the publishers, having wasted god knows how much time trying to fight pirates, would be right back where they started

Azio on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Because the ends do not justify the means. Yeah, it's a noble endeavor to fuck over pirates. But if you start renaming trojans, malware, and viruses to "AwesomeGame3.exe", how are you any different from your average douche who spreads that shit? Answer: You're not.

But then again, it also depends on the severity. If you're talking about literally just renaming a Rickroll avi, most people would say that's reasonable and somewhat funny, but also the start of a slippery slope. Anything worse, and you're no better than your average hacker fuckwad.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009

Rickrolls are one thing, and I doubt anybody here would bitch.

Malicious destruction on a nearly criminal level for vegence is another.

He chose to do the second, he's no better then a script kiddy. He should be reported for it as well.

psychotix on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    psychotix wrote: »

He chose to do the second, he's no better then a script kiddy. He should be reported for it as well.

There's nothing malicious about it since you have to willingly tell the program to delete the C:\windows directory. Explicitly. And it fails on Vista anyway, so it just stuffs the harddrive with a file until it runs out of space.

And once again, I'd love to be brought into court about it, because you'd be laughed out by the judge. Putting up files that look like a game but turn out to be a format utlity don't even compare to the thousands of uploads that thousands of people are grabbing that are fully pirated copies of games, you know, the ones actually destroying our industry and most of them actually have trojans and malware to turn your computer into a botnet.

And once again, I'll restate because you're still not getting it:

The only way to get the dummy file utility is to pirate the game.

This is like saying you're not going to do business with a bank because they put ink bombs in robber's bags, and trying to hold them accountable when you get mild burns on his hands when the bomb goes off.

In this case, the robber is attempting to steal the game, but the bomb asks him nicely if he wants to go off or not.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wow what a shitty thing to do, delete files on someone elses computer, wrong regardless of the circumstance.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009

There's nothing malicious about it since you have to willingly tell the program to delete the C:\windows directory. Explicitly. And it fails on Vista anyway, so it just stuffs the harddrive with a file until it runs out of space.

And once again, I'd love to be brought into court about it, because you'd be laughed out by the judge. Putting up files that look like a game but turn out to be a format utlity don't even compare to the thousands of uploads that thousands of people are grabbing that are fully pirated copies of games, you know, the ones actually destroying our industry and most of them actually have trojans and malware to turn your computer into a botnet.

This is like saying you're not going to do business with a bank because they put ink bombs in robber's bags, and trying to hold them accountable when you get mild burns on his hands when the bomb goes off.

In this case, the robber is attempting to steal the game, but the bomb asks him nicely if he wants to go off or not.

I'm going to logical fallacy myself just because I'm sick of your ass. Having worked for the Navy in Norfolk, DOD at Pentagon, and still working in security at private......... what you are doing is not only illegal but unethical on all points and logic. You are not the fucking Batman, you are not always correct. This is vigilantie justice run through options that, honestly, do not hold up legaly for shit, your lawyer fucking sucks.

Fine, you have masked a "delete all your life info .exe" file as a "freegame.exe" file, and prey on the same stupid morons that buy into "zomg nigeria make millions" fuckers, guess what that fails in court. ALWAYS, your lawyer is a tool and you are no better then a botnet master. Congrats, you lost the morale high ground a long time ago. You've made a better arguement for "piracy is great LOL, game makers are out for cyber crime" then I've seen in a long fucking time.

I see you are in the US, higher a better lawyer, because what you are doing is not legal. And this entire thread is incriminating you. I've had to fight cyber legal battles both inside, and outside, you're fucked, period. This thread being deleted would be your best hope. It's not legal, and at best you're lieing about copy protection, at worst you're just fucking fessed to all sorts of shit on a public forum, congrats.

psychotix on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

No, its more like them covering the bills in a explosive powder that they promise won't explode when you walk out of the door as long as its a legit withdraw.

The problem with this, is that bills, legitimate bills, will explode, because no system is perfect.

And Anti-piracy measures do more to harm legitimate buyers than they do to halt piracy, Especially with things like the glide thing in Batman, where they won't even listen to the fact that you have a legit copy because these errors are always 100% = Piracy.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    A consumer purchases coffee.
    The barista tells the consumer that his cup says "THIS COFFEE IS BOILING HOT AND WILL BURN YOU BADLY IF SPILLED".
    The consumer pours the coffee all over himself immediately after reading the warning.
    The consumer proceeds to do this two more times, on purpose, after reading the warning again both times, and burns himself horribly, just as the warning had clearly said.
    The consumer sues.

Would you support the consumer's lawsuit?

Polago on
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I honestly don't think that FyreWulff's "copy protection" is illegal or particularly immoral, since in the end it doesn't really do anything more than scold the person for downloading an unofficial release of the game. It can't even damage your computer unless you specifically ask it to.

However, actually intentionally disguising a virus or other malicious file as a video game and distributing it on torrent sites is definitely immoral and definitely illegal, just as disguising a virus as anything and distributing it to unwitting people is illegal. You can't just say "oh, they were doing something illegal, so they deserve it." That's like saying somebody deserves to be assaulted for walking through the bad part of town at night, or rigging a shotgun to your door and saying you're not legally responsible if anyone gets blown away trying to break into your house, since they were trespassing anyway.

|EDIT| While I wouldn't support the coffee guy's lawsuit, it would raise questions as to why a coffee shop would serve beverages so hot that they could cause serious burns to your mouth...

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rickrolls are the next stage.

Rickrolls are so cliche, go with something more fitting the theme. Go with "You are a Pirate" from Lazytown. Make the video some ungodly uncompressed size and wrap it up in an exe to fool people into thinking it's a game. Then on the video itself have "BUY MY GAME YOU FUCKTARD" flash on the screen while the video plays.

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    The problem with this, is that bills, legitimate bills, will explode, because no system is perfect.
    Like most people you haven't read a single thing in this thread. Legitimate bills cannot explode, because you can only download the pirate version from pirate sites. The game Fyre gives to customers contains none of the same code. They are two separate programs. In your terrible analogy, people go to the bank and withdraw cash that never had explosives in it to begin with, while other people try to get the bank's money in some shady alley and the distributor gives them counterfeits.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Like most people you haven't read a single thing in this thread. Legitimate bills cannot explode, because you can only download the pirate version from pirate sites. The game Fyre gives to customers contains none of the same code. They are two separate programs. In your terrible analogy, people go to the bank and withdraw cash that never had explosives in it to begin with, while other people try to get the bank's money in some shady alley and the distributor gives them counterfeits.

There's already been a fucking example of this, a teenager who uses the family work computer and loses everyone's tax records because wankers like you and FyreWulff think that because you are the goddamn Batman they had it coming.

theSquid on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Who saves tax records in C:/Windows?

And I thought teens were always able to download files that can harm the computer if you click "yes" too many times and are an idiot.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

And I thought teens were always able to download files that can harm the computer if you click "yes" too many times and are an idiot.

Right, so setting aside the fact that you just compared FyreWulff's rigged game to a virus, bringing back the whole "it's okay to give viruses to dirty pirates because they're bad" you're making the assumption that the family would be able to get Windows back up and running without formatting the drive.

Also, that the whole thing is legal and okay because its just C:/Windows they're deleting, not their documents. What the fuck?

theSquid on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    theSquid wrote: »

Right, so setting aside the fact that you just compared FyreWulff's rigged game to a virus, bringing back the whole "it's okay to give viruses to dirty pirates because they're bad" you're making the assumption that the family would be able to get Windows back up and running without formatting the drive.

Also, that the whole thing is legal and okay because its just C:/Windows they're deleting, not their documents. What the fuck?

Last I checked there are programs other than viruses that can delete things. Legitimate ones. I didn't compare it to a virus, they don't give you the opportunity to click yes or no, they just do it.

Is this really happening? How many times have we had to explain this to you?

It's fine whether C:/Windows gets deleted or the tax documents get deleted. You're covered by both a EULA and that it was the user's own fault. I'm sure my parents would be mad too if I downloaded a formatter and clicked "yes" when it asked if I wanted to erase everything. I think we all can agree that the worst kind of people are the ones who try to sue because they chose to ignore the warnings.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    theSquid wrote: »

Last I checked there are programs other than viruses that can delete things. Legitimate ones. I didn't compare it to a virus, they don't give you the opportunity to click yes or no, they just do it.

Is this really happening? How many times have we had to explain this to you?

It's fine whether C:/Windows gets deleted or the tax documents get deleted. You're covered by both a EULA and that it was the user's own fault. I'm sure my parents would be mad too if I downloaded a formatter and clicked "yes" when it asked if I wanted to erase everything. I think we all can agree that the worst kind of people are the ones who try to sue because they chose to ignore the warnings.

EULA's are not as bullet proof as you think. Even companies like SONY, with a legion of lawyers, still get sued into the ground and lose when their, EULA covered, anti-piracy measures cause chaos. And they didn't expressly set out with the intent to cause havok.

In this case, he has deliberately set out to cause problems. And regardless of his warning, is still masking this at some level.

psychotix on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    And yet, once again, they weren't sued into the ground and lost because of somebody who downloaded the game via torrent which was physically different from the official release.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Because companies are going to spend time and money creating 2 seperate versions of the same software.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nibble wrote: »
    ....or rigging a shotgun to your door and saying you're not legally responsible if anyone gets blown away trying to break into your house, since they were trespassing anyway.

Brinks Home Security has a low-tech option, eh?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Because companies are going to spend time and money creating 2 seperate versions of the same software.

Perhaps not, but you were specifically responding to Fyre who did exactly that. If you're arguing against larger entities then that's a different topic. As stated before, a successful company is one who doesn't burn their legitimate consumers.

Although I presume the second version didn't have any amount of "game" present in it to be uncovered, it was probably just a small utility. Companies could even release a giant null zip file that takes almost no time or money to create and distribute, and there's no issue except wasted time.

Unless the pirates are downloading on a limited data plan and go over their cap and have to pay 10 cents a meg over and decide to sue a random seeder for that...by Squid's reasoning, they'd be in the right to seek compensation.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

here, I'll do it for them

dd /dev/urandom /usr/PirateGameCopy/data.bin

BAM

data files.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    And yet, once again, they weren't sued into the ground and lost because of somebody who downloaded the game via torrent which was physically different from the official release.

They lost on the root kits and a couple other schemes.

The thing is, an EULA is not bullet proof like you think it is. It works best in criminal suits, even then with problems, but in civil suits it's mostly laughable.

An EULA works best when you had no intent to cause damage. This is when it kinda/sorta works. You had no intent to harm and a small portion of people got screwed. When you cause mass havok accidentaly, you can be slammed for negligence and all sorts of other things and the EULA means jack there.

When you set out to deliberately cause damage, well.... you don't really have a leg to stand on there. And if you mask with a gamename.exe file, a simple warning after the fact isn't doing much but putting out a mea culpa.

Putting out a "user must agree" option doesn't save your ass when the action they agreed to was already illegal. You're not fully covered. In simpler times "click OK to install spyware and lose your identity" won't save you from shit. His method is less drastic, and he's probably to small and his stuff isn't widely spread enough for it to matter, but his only real protection here is obscurity, not the law.

psychotix on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

The thing is, an EULA is not bullet proof like you think it is. It works best in criminal suits, even then with problems, but in civil suits it's mostly laughable.

An EULA works best when you had no intent to cause damage. This is when it kinda/sorta works. You had no intent to harm and a small portion of people got screwed. When you cause mass havok accidentaly, you can be slammed for negligence and all sorts of other things and the EULA means jack there.

When you set out to deliberately cause damage, well.... you don't really have a leg to stand on there. And if you mask with a gamename.exe file, a simple warning after the fact isn't doing much but putting out a mea culpa.

Putting out a "user must agree" option doesn't save your ass when the action they agreed to was already illegal. You're not fully covered. In simpler times "click OK to install spyware and lose your identity" won't save you from shit. His method is less drastic, and he's probably to small and his stuff isn't widely spread enough for it to matter, but his only real protection here is obscurity, not the law.

Please point out where it's illegal to delete files on a system after the program asks for a prompt (ie, like the hundreds of other disk utilities) or stop spewing your internet lawyer bullshit.

Are programs going to all have to name themselves heywhenyoustartthisprogramitmightaskyoutodeletesomefiles.exe ? What about systems that have meta data and the .exe name means nothing? What about the fact that it states clearly in the dialog what it's going to do, and is gigantic on the screen (it drops the resolution to 640x480). Are you going to file charges against the programmers of DBAN and Norton Systemworks, AVG, Avast, and Windows Defender?

Nobody is ever going to take me to court over this because I did nothing wrong, and they'll just get laughed out of court.

deletingforbucks.jpg

brb filing charges against Microsoft for thousands of dollars

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Please point out where it's illegal to delete files on a system after the program asks for a prompt (ie, like the hundreds of other disk utilities) or stop spewing your internet lawyer bullshit.

Are programs going to all have to name themselves heywhenyoustartthisprogramitmightaskyoutodeletesomefiles.exe ? What about systems that have meta data and the .exe name means nothing? What about the fact that it states clearly in the dialog what it's going to do, and is gigantic on the screen (it drops the resolution to 640x480). Are you going to file charges against the programmers of DBAN and Norton Systemworks, AVG, Avast, and Windows Defender?

Nobody is ever going to take me to court over this because I did nothing wrong, and they'll just get laughed out of court.

deletingforbucks.jpg

brb filing charges against Microsoft for thousands of dollars

Your example sucks and has 0 bearing on the arguement. Microsoft wasn't trying to trick someone into nuking there entire drive there. No malicious intent,

Please try again, this time in reality. Or go back to being a douchebag on the level of virus makers.

psychotix on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    And I'm not trying to trick someone either (edit: beyond the original "Hey you're downloading a free copy of the game"). When they load the program, it presents itself as a disk utility, they click 'start', it kicks up that prompt. It doesn't say "Press Okay to load the game" and then deletes the directory. It asks them, up front and blatantly, if they want to delete C:\Windows. They have to confirm this 3 times, the button to continue moves around so it's impossible to do by just blind clicking.

What the exe is named and what files are bundled with it have no relevance to any sort of 'legalness' of the situation. It's designed to waste time and piss off pirates.

Imma go break the law now and rename Notepad.exe to paint.exe

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    And I'm not trying to trick someone either (edit: beyond the original "Hey you're downloading a free copy of the game"). When they load the program, it presents itself as a disk utility, they click 'start', it kicks up that prompt. It doesn't say "Press Okay to load the game" and then deletes the directory. It asks them, up front and blatantly, if they want to delete C:\Windows. They have to confirm this 3 times, the button to continue moves around so it's impossible to do by just blind clicking.

What the exe is named and what files are bundled with it have no relevance to any sort of 'legalness' of the situation. It's designed to waste time and piss off pirates.

You again, didn't understand or listent to anything and tried to claim the moral high ground. It's illegal, your option is deliberate, and since people have burned in cases of accidental damage, due to just screwing the fuck up and being criminaly negligent, you don't have any ground to stand on.

You also fail to grasp the difference between civil and criminal, and assume that people are tech savy, most aren't and a jury isn't either.

Your ONLY legal protection is obscurity and stupidity on others part. And you should probably thank the "criminal gang piracy sites" because they are bigger fish to fry and their criminal activities probably protect you since people don't expect your level of cock sucking assgoblinry from a "legitimate" (and I use that term loosely since you are engaing in criminal activity) distributor.

Cyber crime to fight Cyber crime. Go play don't copy that floppy and done a spider man costume.

psychotix on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

You again, didn't understand or listent to anything and tried to claim the moral high ground. It's illegal

I'm going to stop you right there. I'll let you finish, but I have one of the best points of all time:

You have yet to ever prove that what I'm doing is illegal.

Prove it.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    FyreWulff, what company do you work for? What games do you make?

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png