As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Mega Man X2 - Finished! Bonus Videos Added

DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Games and Technology
O HAI

I've wanted to do a Let's Play for a while, and now I'm livin' the dream...

mmx2_box.jpg
It's Mega Man X2!

FAQ

Q: Who are you again?
A: Uhhh, I usually hang in the TF2 and various fighting game threads.

Q: But Blackbeard, why not do the original X? That one is way better, and more popular!
A: Better? I wouldn't know. I never played X2! That's going to be half the fun. I thought it would be more enjoyable to watch me flail about in a mega man game I've never played as opposed to one I played to death when I was but a wee lad.

Q: I'm sure not everyone knows where all the upgrades and stuff are! The masses must be told!
A: Even if I wanted to do X, I'm fairly certain that, after having a firsthand account of the following video, there's nothing more to tell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAlvjBrST3Y

Ok, serious version. This is my first Let's Play, of Mega Man X2. I have never played X2, which means I need you all to guide me! After each video I need you all to tell me what stage to head to next. Will you send me on the easy path? Or down the road of frustration and nerd rage? You decide!

I'll try to do the next video as soon as I can, but with my really awesome (see: shitty) college schedule, it might be tricky. At least 1 day apart.

Set 1: The really lame intro stage! With special guest, my mouse pointer! 1.a: The intro cutscene that I neglected to watch
Set 2: Dying to spike pits all up ins
Set 3: Everything's better, down where it's wetter... Bonus Video #1 - Flame Stag failure, in more than one way. (This one's for you, Skutskut)
Set 4.a: The spice must flow 4.b: Vs Violen
Set 5.a: Vs Agile 5.b: What goes around comes around
Set 6.a: Vs Serges 6.b: More like, bullshit cocoon boss, amirite?
Bonus Video: Wire Sponge Re-enactment Set 7: What's a wire sponge? Who cares!
Set 8.a: Minibosses Galore! 8.b: Throwing junk = win
Set 9: Magnet Mine is like salt to this guy
Set 10a: Getting Violent with Violen 10b: Giga Crush is useful after all! Who knew? 10c: Street Fighter Man X2 10d: Boss Rush Stage 10e: Sigma!
Farewell Bonus: Shameful Guitar Playing!

7yh4xczljsym.png
Daebunz on

• Options
    Mad MacMad Mac Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm not sure what happened with your recording, but the sound quality makes it hard to listen to. As far as stages go, I believe the Ostritch bot should be your first target.

Mad Mac on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You should do MM8 as it's pretty much the only game that wasn't LP'd last time the MM games came around. :P

Also MM9 now that some time has passed.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    IMHO this was the best of the SNES MMX series. I must have beaten it like 40 times as a kid.

If you're going for an optimal playthrough, Wheel Gator should be first. If you just want the easiest one to kill, go get the Ostrich.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, I've never done this before so my recording setup is a little... retarded. I was trying to have it record via the speakers, while my commentary went through the mic and out the speakers, but I think my sound card is preventing me from doing that.

My ghetto setup involves recording via the mic on my headset, with the headset volume turned up so the mic picks it up. Then I talk into it for my audio. What was hard to listen to, the game audio, me, or all of it? Kinda learning as I go.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I dunno, X2 is my favorite megaman game period, then 2, then the Zero series then 9.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I dunno, X2 is my favorite megaman game period, then 2, then the Zero series then 9.

X4 will always be my favorite. Always.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    X2 and 5 are the only megaman games I ever spent a significant amount of time with. X2 is the only good megaman game I ever spent a significant amount of time with.

I love me the shit out of some X2.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Actually, I think I'm going to play around with upping the game's volume. I want it a little louder, but I don't want to be competing with it.

Edit: To contribute to the nerdgasm, I can't decide between 2 or 3. then probably X, behind those 2.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Mad MacMad Mac Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What was hard to listen to, the game audio, me, or all of it?

I'm no expert with audio, but your voice was fairly static-ish and low volume. You might just want to try talking more loudly and clearly. People (like me) tend to mumble when they play games, but when you do a recording, you kinda want to talk like there's somebody else in (across?) the room you are having a conversation with. Other than that, you're doing fine.

(Well, you might want to up the game volume just a bit)

I think X-2 has a lot of cool bits, but I seem to remember having the most trouble with it out of the first 3 X games.

Mad Mac on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Mad Mac wrote: »

I'm no expert with audio, but your voice was fairly static-ish and low volume. You might just want to try talking more loudly and clearly. People (like me) tend to mumble when they play games, but when you do a recording, you kinda want to talk like there's somebody else in (across?) the room you are having a conversation with. Other than that, you're doing fine.

(Well, you might want to up the game volume just a bit)

Cool, I'll try both to make some test recordings to get things sounding a little better. Thanks for the tip.

Also, one of my friends thinks one of my VO's sounds like a dalek.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Green Biker Dood died for your sins btw. All salute Green Biker Dood!

But yeah if you start with Wheel Gator, you have to go back to his stage to get his power up. Best to start with him though since this is your first time.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

But yeah if you start with Wheel Gator, you have to go back to his stage to get his power up. Best to start with him though since this is your first time.

Bull.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Bull.

What, about Green Biker Dood? I agree it'd be funnier if he started with say, MagniCentipede oh or Crystal Snail, but that'd be too mean.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Bull.

What, about Green Biker Dood? I agree it'd be funnier if he started with say, MagniCentipede oh or Crystal Snail, but that'd be too mean.

No, I mean bull about having to come back for the gun power up. The jump is tricky, but certainly not impossible. Hell, this guy got it during his X1 and X2 tandem run: (skip to 5 minutes in)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2509794034861880408#

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Bull.

No, I mean bull about having to come back for the gun power up. The jump is tricky, but certainly not impossible. Hell, this guy got it during his X1 and X2 tandem run: (skip to 5 minutes in)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2509794034861880408#

Oh that, yeah I know you can get it, hell I've done it. But for all intents and purposes you have to come back to get it, I really doubt Blackbeard's gonna do it without spending 20 minutes trying.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Maybe I can make my potential epic failure the first bonus video, from the director's cut LP.

Edit: Speaking of bonus videos, if I end up having to do any backtracking for items, would you prefer I make a small video while I go to get item x/y/z, or just go get it and make note of it at the start of the next stage? I was going to do the former.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    eh note of it's fine, there's a heart container per stage and the armor upgrades of course but new 3 missable items.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    eh note of it's fine, there's a heart container per stage and the armor upgrades of course but new 3 missable items.

Alright, I'll do that then so I can keep on track with the videos.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    First things first, get your mouse out of the recording window

You might want to consider doing post commentary because right now both your voice and the game audio sound like shit. You can use something like Audacity to record the game sounds when you're playing and then record your voice when your watching the video again

For the love of god don't read the game text, we can all read. If you insist on reading the text don't do voices

edit: If you want to do live commentary look into something called Virtual Audio Cable (http://lparchive.org/techsupport/guide-vac.html That link has a guide and the link to download it) it should let you record both your commentary and the game audio

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    OP updated with the intro cutscene that I skipped, and wheel gator. I tried upping the game volume which I think sounds good, but I need to speak a little louder for next time.

Trus, I checked that link and apparently I have to buy the full verson for it to not be annoying. It sounded useful until that part. And you probably won't have to worry about any more of my intentionally bad VO's unless there are cutscenes before the end. What you should be worrying about is how much you hate fun.

At any rate, where to next?

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Game audio seems to desync around 7 minutes, may just be me though.

Also, talk louder and talk moar! It's like, just megaman sound for half the video.

Now for choices-If you would like to conitinue the weakness hierarchy, go to the crab.
    If you want to amuse me greatly, do Flame Stag.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Also, talk louder and talk moar! It's like, just megaman sound for half the video.

Now for choices-If you would like to conitinue the weakness hierarchy, go to the crab.

I noticed the audio thing too towards the end, so it's not just you. I can try flame stag while recording and if it end up hilarious/disasterous/victorious I'll show it.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I noticed the audio thing too towards the end, so it's not just you. I can try flame stag while recording and if it end up hilarious/disasterous/victorious I'll show it.

Excellent, excellent! You will cry. And yeah, talk more please, you have a good voice for this.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This is the only MMX game that I don't own a copy of (unless you count the MMX Collection).

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    FreakleFreakle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    use the dash jump manG (dash and jump off wall [at same time] holding opposite direction of wall) - gives you a ton more air control, speed, distance after the jump. IE you would have been able to jump around wheel gator's wheels and stay on the wall the whole time.

might come in handy in the future

Freakle on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You're too quiet compared to the game audio making what you say hard to hear

we can still see your mouse pointer in the lower right

You are seriously not talking enough, and the horrible quality of the in game audio makes your silence all the worse. You don't need to fill all the dead air but you should be talking more than you are, have you considered guest commentators?

There is some serious audio desync by the end (there is a 4.5s gap between when the game tells you that you got the Spin Wheel and when you say it)

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Trus wrote: »
    You are seriously not talking enough, and the horrible quality of the in game audio makes your silence all the worse. You don't need to fill all the dead air but you should be talking more than you are, have you considered guest commentators?

There is some serious audio desync by the end (there is a 4.5s gap between when the game tells you that you got the Spin Wheel and when you say it)

A guest commentator? For his own LP? Or would it be to keep him talking with someone incessantly going "JUMP! JUMP! NOW SHOOT! WATCH OUT FOR THE SHOOTY BITS!"and him responding "I KNOW, SHUT UP! AND HOW DID YOU GET INTO MY HOUSE?"

Or hell, he could ask some random PA forumite to be a part of each set. Like a lottery of people he 'knows' on here. If I won I'd read online fan-fiction involving megaman characters. :winky:

Say blackbeard, what kind of frame rate are you getting while recording? I'm noticing somethings off about it. Inquiring npc's would like to know.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Trus wrote: »
    You're too quiet compared to the game audio making what you say hard to hear

we can still see your mouse pointer in the lower right

I wouldn't say guest commentators, as it's his first but he does need to fix his audio. What I did for my Undying LP was just use my headphones, and record the sound from the game, then record the dialogue while I watched it. This way I got 2x the time to come up with material.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm going to try recording the commentary afterwards when I get most likely destroyed in flame stag's stage tomorrow morning. That way I'll be focusing more on what I'm seeing as opposed to what I'm doing. A guess commentator might be fun for variety's sake at some point.

I tried to find a quick way to hide the pointer, but I don't really know how without doing a little more research. I honestly thought that the bottom right corner would be fine since it was fairly out of sight and not on the game screen. So if you want to give a tip go for it, but pointing out things I'm already aware of and trying to find a solution to doesn't help me much.

I only notice the audio desync on the youtube version, and I think I know what happened. I wouldn't worry about that happening again.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm going to try recording the commentary afterwards when I get most likely destroyed in flame stag's stage tomorrow morning. That way I'll be focusing more on what I'm seeing as opposed to what I'm doing. A guess commentator might be fun for variety's sake at some point.

I tried to find a quick way to hide the pointer, but I don't really know how without doing a little more research. I honestly thought that the bottom right corner would be fine since it was fairly out of sight and not on the game screen. So if you want to give a tip go for it, but pointing out things I'm already aware of and trying to find a solution to doesn't help me much.

I only notice the audio desync on the youtube version, and I think I know what happened. I wouldn't worry about that happening again.

In regards to the "deadly mouse pointer" what capture software are you using? There's a really easy way to remove it from recordings in many of them. (Honestly I haven't noticed it.)

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Heres the thing though, if you notice the mouse pointer why not just rerecord the video?!

Anyway, depending on what software you are using to capture the video you should be able to tell it to not record the mouse, I don't think I have seen one that doesn't have an option for that.

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm using camstudio to record it.

Edit: I found the option to hide it in camstudio. So that problem is solved.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    might not wanna mention what you're using to play the game, might wanna edit that out too.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    might not wanna mention what you're using to play the game, might wanna edit that out too.

Eh, good call.

But in all honesty, would you guys prefer I do commentary after and try to add it on, or live (as long as I speak up/more often)? I can try the former next vid if that would be more enjoyable to watch as a whole, but on the flip side it seems less... I dunno, real. If I start getting my ass handed to me then my rage won't translate as well if I do it after.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    experiment, find what works for you. Either works really.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I, too, will contribute to the favorite Megaman games topic.

Megaman 2. Hands down. I also do like X, and 4 was pretty good, but definitely 2 is my favorite.

Also, favorite robot master? CRASHMAN. Even though he was a total bitch when it came to facing air.

Megaman X2, I don't think I ever got past Morph Moth's stage. My game froze about 5 inches into that stage :(

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wire Sponge is the best place to start, in my opinion. There's a heart tank right at the start, an easy-to-reach Sub-Tank, and the boss himself isn't all that difficult to beat.

From there, Wheel Gator is weak to the Strike Chain.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    1. http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=42668
    2. The only way I got a optimal audio was to use 2 computers. I would sync them by making a loud in-game noise, and then record commentary onto the 2nd machine while recording game audio with the video. Then I would sync and combine them in Audacity. Bam!

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    OP updated with Bubble Crab, and a miserable failure at Flame Stag.

A few things of note

- I never found that one MM thread to rule them all before I made this LP. My search-fu must be weak.
    - I originally wasn't going to show the flame stag video because the picture got fucked (image is 1/4 of the screen and occasionally fuzzy for no apparent reason). I opted not to rerecord it because I only tried it due to SkutSkut wanting me to suffer, so it was for fun anyway. But I thought you might want to see my initial frustration during the first ever bonus video!
    - SkutSkut is a dick for wanting me to do that.
    -I notice a very slight audio desync towards the end of Bubble Crab, and I doublechecked that it is only the youtube version. Would it be worthwhile to just re-upload the videos elsewhere? Can't hurt to try I suppose.

And where to next? Wire Sponge has some easy upgrades I guess, might work out.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    OP updated with Bubble Crab, and a miserable failure at Flame Stag.

A few things of note

- I never found that one MM thread to rule them all before I made this LP. My search-fu must be weak.
    - I originally wasn't going to show the flame stag video because the picture got fucked (image is 1/4 of the screen and occasionally fuzzy for no apparent reason). I opted not to rerecord it because I only tried it due to SkutSkut wanting me to suffer, so it was for fun anyway. But I thought you might want to see my initial frustration during the first ever bonus video!
    - SkutSkut is a dick for wanting me to do that.

-I notice a very slight audio desync towards the end of Bubble Crab, and I doublechecked that it is only the youtube version. Would it be worthwhile to just re-upload the videos elsewhere? Can't hurt to try I suppose.

And where to next? Wire Sponge has some easy upgrades I guess, might work out.

:mrgreen:

I'll let someone else make a suggestion before I chime in.

Oh yeah, dash jump more, you should be more or less holding Dash down at all times.

I will say this, Flamestages stage is next in weakness order :D

SkutSkut on