As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Disney to Expand Fantasyland At Walt Disney World, Star Tours overhaul also planned

XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
NYT article:
TANAHEIM, California (Reuters) - Mickey Mouse's house and his Toon Town world will make way next year for a vastly larger Fantasyland, in the biggest-ever expansion of the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World in Florida, Walt Disney Co said on Saturday. The Fantasyland expansion, whose price tag was not disclosed, will open in two stages in 2012 and 2013 and builds on the popularity of the Disney Princess and Fairies franchises, which have topped $4 billion in global retail sales. Disney theme parks Chairman Jay Rasulo said the Fantasyland project, which breaks ground next year, will be paid for from funds designated for the theme park division's annual capital expenditures.

Plans call for four Disney Princess characters -- Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Belle from "Beauty and the Beast" and Ariel from "The Little Mermaid" -- to be featured in "fantasy lands" where park visitors engage in dancing, storytelling or a birthday party with costumed characters from the films.

The expansion includes two new dining spots -- Gascon's Tavern and the 552-seat Beast's Castle. A new underwater ride based on "The Little Mermaid, will be built both in the Florida Fantasyland and at the ongoing expansion of California Adventure in Disneyland.

The second phase of the Fantasyland expansion will be an oversized world based on the fairy world of Pixie Hollow from "Peter Pan," but no other details were available because the attraction was still in early development stages, Rasulo said. As part of the Fantasyland expansion, Disney plans to double the size of the popular Dumbo ride to add a covered "three-ring circus" waiting area with interactive games and a play area. Disney Imagineers, who design rides and attractions, said the Toon Town attraction would be dismantled and its popular Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse houses relocated to another section of Walt Disney World.

Rasulo also announced an upgrade to the Star Tours rides at Disneyland in Anaheim and Disney's Hollywood Studio in Florida to open in 2011. Star Tours simulates a ride through space aboard spacecraft like those in the original "Star Wars" film. The updated version features new digital 3D effects and projectors that let ride operators vary "destinations," as well as upgrades to the Star Speeder cabins, Rasulo said.

XiaNaphryz on

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I just got back from Disneyland. They closed down Space Mountain the day before I got there. :(

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    I just got back from Disneyland. They closed down Space Mountain the day before I got there. :(

Jesus, that's cold. Space Mountain is like one of the best things there. Did Mickey punch you in the kidney and steal your shoes too?

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Oh man. My aunt took me on Space Mountain when I was a tiny tot. She told me to hang on or I would fly out of the ride.

I was scared to fucking death the entire time. I was uncontrollably shaking and crying whilst cowering in a quivering mess while my aunt laughed and laughed.

She's actually a cool lady, and I love roller coasters now, but man that was an asshole move on her part.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    They're doing a Halloween display on Space Mountain this year. Probably the reason for the closure.

Tach on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2009
    Man, I'm torn. I really want to check out the Little Mermaid ride (shut up), but I wish it was in Disneyland proper instead of California Adventures. Because my kids are bored by CA.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Jeffe- wait for 2012. Cars Land will be up and running by then, and it'll have plenty for them to be excited about.

Tach on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Since I don't live in or near California, I see many more compelling reasons to go to Disneyworld than Disneyland. Maybe if they added something unique and awesome to Disneyland I could change my mind, but as it is all the really great stuff is in Florida.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Anaheim Space Mountain is like the least reliable ride ever. That thing goes down more than your mom at a biker convention.

What I was told by a manager there is that apparently the mechanical bits of the ride are totally reliable, but they have this sophisticated computerized tracking system that gives them the exact location of each car on the rails, in case they need to perform an emergency rescue in darkness. It's this tracking system that glitches up so much, and their safety protocols say that they can't run the ride without it.

Again, that's just what I was told.
    Tach wrote: »
    They're doing a Halloween display on Space Mountain this year. Probably the reason for the closure.

ORLY?

Darn, that sounds pretty cool.
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Man, I'm torn. I really want to check out the Little Mermaid ride (shut up), but I wish it was in Disneyland proper instead of California Adventures. Because my kids are bored by CA.

CA doesn't have the same charm.

The Toy Story 3D shooter ride at CA is pretty cool, but the lines for it are longer than the gangbang line for your mom at the biker convention.

Besides, one of my bestest friends has fibromyalgia. So when she goes to Disneyland, she can show them her disabled persons placard and a note from her doctor and get a wheelchair and jump all the lines. And I get to jump all the lines with her! Whoo-hoo!

...except in CA. Booooo.

It's cool that they've officially announced the Star Tours upgrade. When I went to Anaheim in May, all of the [strike]employees[/strike] cast members were talking about it.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Since I don't live in or near California, I see many more compelling reasons to go to Disneyworld than Disneyland. Maybe if they added something unique and awesome to Disneyland I could change my mind, but as it is all the really great stuff is in Florida.

Thats because Disneyland was more or less the beta. The story of Disney World is fucking fascinating.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Thats because Disneyland was more or less the beta. The story of Disney World is fucking fascinating.

Yeah, and speaking as a kid who went to both, Disneyland seemed like a fair or amusement park. That's fine and all, I like amusement parks, but Disneyworld is a magical land of enchantment.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Disneyland is not worth a trip to California, I agree.

If you're ever going to be in California for other reasons though it's totally worth a two-day trip.

And keep in mind that I never went as a child. My first time to Disneyland was last memorial day. So I have no nostalgia to taint my judgment - it's simply just a very well put-together park.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited September 2009
    Disneyland is my "home park" and the one I grew up with living in SoCal. I got the dope pass that gets me free parking and entry anytime during the year- it's fucking expensive now, though.

Been to DisneyWorld 3 times since 2003. It really is a whole different experience. Part of it has to do with who my wife and I go there with though- we have a big group of friends that we've always been there with. Last time, we rented a villa for the week and partied pretty well.

My wife and I did part of our honeymoon in 2006 at Disneyland Paris. Their Magic Kingdom is mindblowingly awesome, but the Studios park left a LOT to be desired. Half-day at most.

We've tried unsuccessfully to get a group trip to Tokyo going- but no dice so far. Maybe after we get our house...

Tach on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    A trip to Tokyo would be expensive, but totally worth it. I'd like to go someday.

Feral on

• Options
    edited September 2009
    If we can get the house stuff done before 11/30, I'm eyeing part of that tax credit for a trip.

Tach on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tach wrote: »
    Disneyland is my "home park" and the one I grew up with living in SoCal. I got the dope pass that gets me free parking and entry anytime during the year- it's fucking expensive now, though.

Been to DisneyWorld 3 times since 2003. It really is a whole different experience. Part of it has to do with who my wife and I go there with though- we have a big group of friends that we've always been there with. Last time, we rented a villa for the week and partied pretty well.

My wife and I did part of our honeymoon in 2006 at Disneyland Paris. Their Magic Kingdom is mindblowingly awesome, but the Studios park left a LOT to be desired. Half-day at most.

We've tried unsuccessfully to get a group trip to Tokyo going- but no dice so far. Maybe after we get our house...

Tokyo Disneyland is pretty similar to Anaheim Disneyland.

Tokyo DisneySea is inarguably awesome, especially Mysterious Island aka Jules Verne-land.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, about fucking time on both of these, especially Star Tours. Love me some Star Wars and I always take the ride when I go to Disney World, but it badly needed updating years ago. And, adding new stuff to the Magic Kingdom is always good. I like the revisions they've been making (Monsters, Inc., Toy Story and Philharmagic).

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Can this be a Disneyworld/land discussion thread too?

My favorite "newer" ride is the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. I still don't know how they got Rod Serling in there like they did. I don't want to know. It's magic.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Can this be a Disneyworld/land discussion thread too?

My favorite "newer" ride is the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. I still don't know how they got Rod Serling in there like they did. I don't want to know. It's magic.

I'm not a big fan of drop rides like that, especially when you wait 45 minutes for a 5m ride. But I love the decor at the intro to the ride. It's like a more sophisticated haunted house.

Feral on

• Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Star Tours is awesome, but it is maaaad corny.

Etch on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Oh I also really like the exterior of the Tower of Terror. The whole ruined building motif is nicely postapocalyptic.

What I'm saying is that I love everything about that ride except the ride.

Feral on

• Options
    edited September 2009
    WDW Tower vs. DCA Tower.

WDW has pretty much everything over the DCA version.

The walk-up: due to the low water table, the tower is up on a bit of a hill, giving the queue a bit space for gloomy walks and vegetation. At DCA, there's no extended walk up, most of the queue is right outside the doors to the hotel.

The atmosphere: a draw here, although with the outside included- WDW wins.

The ride itself: differences in the experiences do set each apart, however WDW has the extra dialog, the random drop sequence, and most of all, the 5th Dimension room- where your elevator leaves one shaft, and travels through to another. DCA's has the "disappearing mirror" scene. That's really it.

Tach on
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The star tours upgrade is a great idea, until you realize jar jar will probably be your pilot and the destination will be the lake on naboo.
    I'd still ride it everytime

I went in february and they had drained the water in CA (I assume to build this little mermaid ride), the empty concrete pit made the place look so bad.

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    jar jar will probably be your pilot and the destination will be the lake on naboo.

You shut your damn mouth

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    jar jar will probably be your pilot and the destination will be the lake on naboo.

You shut your damn mouth

"Meesa wanna welcome ya to da Stars Tour! Be sure to fassin' dem seatbelts!"

firewaterword on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

You shut your damn mouth

Jake Lloyd as the co-pilot, yelling "Yippee!" every time you dodge an asteroid.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is this Disney's response to Universal Studios opening up harry potter land?

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jebus314 wrote: »

Well that and buying up Marvel (I wonder how much longer the Marvel part of Universal Studios will be around?).

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »

You shut your damn mouth

Jake Lloyd as the co-pilot, yelling "Yippee!" every time you dodge an asteroid.

We clearly missed our calling as Imagineers...

firewaterword on
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Gyral wrote: »

Well that and buying up Marvel (I wonder how much longer the Marvel part of Universal Studios will be around?).

Why would that inspire them to do some overhauling of disneyworld? It doesn't sound like they are planning to add in marvel based themes into the park.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    All the concept art on that website looks really weird. When I imagine the setting of Harry Potter I always imagine something cold and misty (one of the mock-ups even has snow everywhere) and then I remember my trips to Universal Studios as a kid, where it was always about 1000 degrees. I'm sure it will be a roaring success but it'll certainly be strange.

Duffel on
  • Options
    SpacehogSpacehog Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jQaHgsKhQ4

I really, really, really, really hope this isn't real.

For fucks sake don't be real.

edit-I just don't want any goddamn podracing. If there is podracing, I guaran-fucking-tee you there will be the whole going underwater though the core of Naboo deal.

Spacehog on
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

You shut your damn mouth

Something something stabby stabby

E: Actually a Pod Race ride would still be fucking awesome. I'm a sucker for moving-movie-seat rides, or however you want to label them.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    VestyVesty Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Feral wrote: »

Anaheim Space Mountain is like the least reliable ride ever. That thing goes down more than your mom at a biker convention.

What I was told by a manager there is that apparently the mechanical bits of the ride are totally reliable, but they have this sophisticated computerized tracking system that gives them the exact location of each car on the rails, in case they need to perform an emergency rescue in darkness. It's this tracking system that glitches up so much, and their safety protocols say that they can't run the ride without it.

pretty much like that at every amusement park. the computers have so many redundant safety systems that the slightest thing causes them to freak out and shut the ride down. good in the long run with preventing accidents, but annoying as hell to park guests. new rides especially have this problem since its new,and they're still getting the little kinks out, and the people running it are still learning the ins and outs. From my time working at a park I liked the old rides a lot more than the newer rides. Don't have to deal with a computer and much more hands on and fun. New rides you hit 1 button and the computer runs the rest where as old rides you're pressing all kind of buttons and levers and stuff.

Vesty on
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I am super excited, but somewhat worried, to hear about new Star Tours! My family goes to Disneyland every couple of years and it is definitely the ride my sister and I go on most (combination of general awesomeness and shorter lines make for a great ride). I am all for new scenarios and think they can be fun (so long as its not ALL based on the newer films), but what do you think the chances of them retaining the current ride scenario would be? The article mentions the possibility of multiple destinations, and I love the current ride so much I would be sad to see it leave for seemingly no reason.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    KoolaidguyKoolaidguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    They should really get around to making EPCOT suck less. The pod racing looks sweet but getting attacked by the fish from Naboo would be creepy. And Jar-Jar can go rot in Space Jail.

Koolaidguy on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Feral wrote: »

Okay.

When I asked, they said it was closed down because they were planning on refurbishing it for Halloween, but whatever.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Koolaidguy wrote: »
    They should really get around to making EPCOT suck less. The pod racing looks sweet but getting attacked by the fish from Naboo would be creepy. And Jar-Jar can go rot in Space Jail.

Epcot just seems like it sucks on the surface, but it has a lot going for it.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Epcot sucks for rides, but for a variety of food choices (epsically counter service) and non-disney related shopping it's the best.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    rockmonkey wrote: »

Epcot sucks for rides, but for a variety of food choices (epsically counter service) and non-disney related shopping it's the best.

The tour of the garden in Land, Soaring, the 3 Caballero's ride in Mexico, Ellen + Bill Nye = awesome, Spaceship Earth, and the cool halls, international soda fountain, and dancing fountains?
    Awesome.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    rockmonkey wrote: »

Mission: Space
    Spaceship Earth
    Soarin'
    Test Track

^ Those are definitely four of my favorite rides in the entire Walt Disney World Resorts.

Also, that one Epcot pavilion with the Sea (I think it's called the Great Sea, or something?) is amazing. The one attraction where you get to listen to Crush make jokes and such is fantastic. I was super amazed by it when I first went there.

Melkster on