Options

Disney to Expand Fantasyland At Walt Disney World, Star Tours overhaul also planned

2»

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    I just got back from Disneyland. They closed down Space Mountain the day before I got there. :(

Anaheim Space Mountain is like the least reliable ride ever. That thing goes down more than your mom at a biker convention.

This is the textbook definition of "adding insult to injury".

Deebaser on
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    rockmonkey wrote: »
    Koolaidguy wrote: »
    They should really get around to making EPCOT suck less. The pod racing looks sweet but getting attacked by the fish from Naboo would be creepy. And Jar-Jar can go rot in Space Jail.

Epcot just seems like it sucks on the surface, but it has a lot going for it.

Epcot sucks for rides, but for a variety of food choices (epsically counter service) and non-disney related shopping it's the best.

The tour of the garden in Land, Soaring, the 3 Caballero's ride in Mexico, Ellen + Bill Nye = awesome, Spaceship Earth, and the cool halls, international soda fountain, and dancing fountains?
    Awesome.

Don't get me wrong, Epcot was one of my two favorite parks when I went in '98 and in '06 but the last three items you listed aren't really major attractions and similar minor stuff can be listed for any of the parks. The dancing fountains are cute, sure, but nothing to write home about. The halls weren't really my thing. I don't know what the Ellen + Bill Nye thing is so I'll pass on that, and the garden was nice to look at while you walked throug it and took pictures, I guess.

Spaceship Earth is the only thing I'd agree with on that list.

My main draw to Epcot was the world showcase. The shops/food/street performers provided a nice alternative to the rest of the parks, especially over the course of a 5 day trip.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Melkster wrote: »
    They should really get around to making EPCOT suck less. The pod racing looks sweet but getting attacked by the fish from Naboo would be creepy. And Jar-Jar can go rot in Space Jail.

Epcot sucks for rides, but for a variety of food choices (epsically counter service) and non-disney related shopping it's the best.

Mission: Space
    Spaceship Earth
    Soarin'
    Test Track

^ Those are definitely four of my favorite rides in the entire Walt Disney World Resorts.

Also, that one Epcot pavilion with the Sea (I think it's called the Great Sea, or something?) is amazing. The one attraction where you get to listen to Crush make jokes and such is fantastic. I was super amazed by it when I first went there.

Test track is one of my favorite rides and I've been on it probably 6 or 7 times, Soarin' wasn't open the first time I went, and mission: space was neat, but I probably won't ride it again the next time I go.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I agree that the last three aren't superstars (and you HAVE to go on the journey through time with Ellen and Bill Nye, its amazing), but they help create the really fun and unique experience Epcot has. It's a total World's fair thing happening. I hated Epcot when I was about 14ish, but love it now that I'm more than 20.
    I forgot about the street performers. They are quality.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    jar jar will probably be your pilot and the destination will be the lake on naboo.
    You shut your damn mouth
    "Meesa wanna welcome ya to da Stars Tour! Be sure to fassin' dem seatbelts!"
    Jake Lloyd as the co-pilot, yelling "Yippee!" every time you dodge an asteroid.
    Nah, he's all grown up now and looks like Jack Black.

GungHo on
  • Options
    KoolaidguyKoolaidguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    Is this Disney's response to Universal Studios opening up harry potter land?

The best thing about that park will be the inevitable religious protesters.

Koolaidguy on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Unfortunately, it also means that the HP dorks will be able to meet up easily. And breed.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You're all just jealous you can't go as easily as I can.
    Whoo!

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I agree that the last three aren't superstars (and you HAVE to go on the journey through time with Ellen and Bill Nye, its amazing), but they help create the really fun and unique experience Epcot has. It's a total World's fair thing happening. I hated Epcot when I was about 14ish, but love it now that I'm more than 20.
    I forgot about the street performers. They are quality.

I too went when I was 14 and liked Epcot for different reason then when I went at 23. I don't remember there even being street performers when I was 14, although I'm sure they were there I just didn't care so much that I didn't even notice them. At 23 I enjoyed the chinese gymnists, the japanese drummers, and all the other people. It seemed that each country had their own thing going for them and I enjoyed them all.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    EPCOT is my wife's favorite WDW park. It's my #2 (I'm a sucker for Magic Kingdom).

But the best part of EPCOT is the Illuminations fireworks show. You cannot go to EPCOT and not see it. It's one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Tach on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Animals Kingdom>Epcot>Magic Kindgom>Hollywood
    I'm interested to see what the next decade brings to change this. Magic Kingdom is getting a ton of work, but Hollywood will surely get a lot of Marvel+ now that the MGM name was dropped in 2007 and the entire area is probably going under a re-imaging.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm interested to see what the next decade brings to change this. Magic Kingdom is getting a ton of work, but Hollywood will surely get a lot of Marvel+ now that the MGM name was dropped in 2007 and the entire area is probably going under a re-imaging.

I can't wait for Universal's rights on the marvel theme park stuff to expire so Disney can blow my mind.

We just had our first kid (she's 5mo now) and I'd like to wait and go when she is about 5 years old, and hopefully in 5 years Disney will have the rights back and will have added Marvel to the mix. Of course I'd also like to take my entire family: wife, kid, my parents, sister+spouse, her 2 kids, but that would run me around $10k. /sigh

I'm still not used to the MGM name being dropped.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That Space ride is apparently so hard core it killed someone.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Pre-existing condition on a kid too young to ride it. But, it did make them add a non-spinning version.

Tach on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I went to Disneyland back in Feb. for my birthday. We got a three day pass, spent two days at Disneyland and one day at California Adventure where I was almost destroyed by that damn rollercoaster. Overall, it was an excellent experience. I would definitely do it again.

Slider on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That Space ride is apparently so hard core it killed someone.

I dunno... from what I remember the dumbass was standing up in his seat... on a roller coaster ride... in the dark.

One might say Space Mountain deals justice.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    MagicPrime wrote: »

Hrmm.. disappointing... I do recall Space Mountain not being dark when I went there in 1995 (or 1996, can't remember exactly), and was under the impression they had changed it because of the death.

Has anyone ever died while riding Space Mountain?

You've probably heard the rumor that a passenger was decapitated while riding Space Mountain Anaheim; at least I have. I think this is Urban Legend; people have died while riding the attraction before, but I believe that their deaths have been caused by such things as heart attacks (it is fairly well accepted that one such death in Paris was due to a heart attack).

One version of this story has that a test dummy in the Orlando Space Mountain was the thing which lost a head.

http://www.ultimateorlando.com/extinct/archive/space/FAQ.htm

Chanus on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've been to Disneyworld twice, once when I was like 10 or 11, and again when I was 17. I had a lot of fun both times, for different reasons like mentioned above. I can't wait for my son to get old enough to enjoy it so that we can go again.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Chanus wrote: »

Hrmm.. disappointing... I do recall Space Mountain not being dark when I went there in 1995 (or 1996, can't remember exactly), and was under the impression they had changed it because of the death.

It was pretty dark when I went there in May.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »

It was pretty dark when I went there in May.

Yeah, it was dark the first time I went (1992-ish), and I'd heard it's dark again... so having it be somewhat lit was just weird (and sucky).

Chanus on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Yeah, although they've been doing a lot to homogenize the food choices over the years, which is really unfortunate.

The Coral Reef restaurant used to have an incredible selection, now it is down to barely 1 page and doesn't change a lot. Its obviously to keep costs down, but still, that sucks. Used to be my favorite restaurant and now it really isn't worth going to, imo.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Some of those Disney deaths are pretty brutal. The guy getting drug 100' by the people mover... wow.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

And Hollywood needs the work. We were seriously disappointed when we were there last May. Aside from the Indiana Jones stunt show, the entire area was kinda boring.

Animal Kingdom, though? Holy shit that place was amazing. We stayed in the Animal Kingdom lodge, and it was absolutely fabulous. Leaving your room to sit on the porch and watch zebra grazing right below you? Yes please.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »

And Hollywood needs the work. We were seriously disappointed when we were there last May. Aside from the Indiana Jones stunt show, the entire area was kinda boring.

Animal Kingdom, though? Holy shit that place was amazing. We stayed in the Animal Kingdom lodge, and it was absolutely fabulous. Leaving your room to sit on the porch and watch zebra grazing right below you? Yes please.
    Anyone who comes down here gets the same advice from me, "Hollywood is okay for a couple of things if you have the time and you're sick of the other parks."

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Anyone who comes down here gets the same advice from me, "Hollywood is okay for a couple of things if you have the time and you're sick of the other parks."

I think we spent over half a day at Hollywood (Then MGM), wasn't too bad. Tower of Terror, Aerosmith ride, Indiana Jones Stunt Show, Fantasmic, and Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage are all we did.

We rode Tower of Terror and Areosmith several times back and forth using quick passes while the time was short (due to time of day or something). They're fun and right next to each other. We came back during park guest after hours to watch fantasmic.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Some of those Disney deaths are pretty brutal. The guy getting drug 100' by the people mover... wow.

I remember reading about one way back when about some poor girl that got crushed in the rotating stage thing from that old animatronic presidents show. What a way to go :?

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    VestyVesty Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm pretty sure they're supposed to expand on the Hollywood park with a ton of Pixar stuff in the future. I can't remember if that was the California version though, but I would assume the same would happen in Florida at some point. That should help it a lot.

Vesty on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Vesty wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they're supposed to expand on the Hollywood park with a ton of Pixar stuff in the future. I can't remember if that was the California version though, but I would assume the same would happen in Florida at some point. That should help it a lot.
    DCA gets Cars Land in 2012, with 3 new rides, 2 eateries, and plenty of stuff for Cars fans to geek out at. I'm sure Hollywood Studios would get something out of it if the land proves successful.

Don't count on seeing any Marvel stuff at Hollywood anytime in the next decade. Universal has a lock on theme park stuff from Marvel for a good long time.

Tach on
  • Options
    VestyVesty Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    besides Cars land I thought they were building something at a park that resembled Pixar's main campus for general Pixar stuff. I know they have a Monsters Inc coaster in development for a park but again I forget which one.

Vesty on
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Vesty wrote: »
    besides Cars land I thought they were building something at a park that resembled Pixar's main campus for general Pixar stuff. I know they have a Monsters Inc coaster in development for a park but again I forget which one.

The area in front of the new Toy Story ride at Hollywood Studios has been redone like that, but it's not really in an area of the park that can be easily expanded.

Also, if you go to Hollywood Studios and don't a) see the Muppet 3-D movie and b) spend waaay too much time looking at all the jokes in the queue area and outside the building, you're doing it wrong. Seriously, every time I find some random hilarious thing I hadn't noticed before.

I hope that now that the animation department is up again, they reopen the studio down there. It really was so damn neat to see. I remember we saw a trailer for Mulan while it was still in production, like two years before it came out (they had pencil tests in for some of the animation still).

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I wish they would stop revamping space mountain and just leave it alone. I remember going on time when they did the areosmith theme, with lightbulbs lighting up the whole ride while it blared areosmith in your face. way to fuck up the best ride at disneyland

I'm glad they're revamping star tours though. my friend and I who used to go every year (marching band in highschool) made it a tradition to ride that one every single time, even though we knew how lousy it was. sorta like a inside joke between us! I just hope they keep peewee herman's voice lol

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, Star Tours revamp and Cars rides? Well shoot me down and call me a corporate whore, because I wanna go to Disney World! Though I have never been to DCA... how is it? Surely the combo of DCA and DL is pretty lame compared to WDW.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I wish they would stop revamping space mountain and just leave it alone. I remember going on time when they did the areosmith theme, with lightbulbs lighting up the whole ride while it blared areosmith in your face. way to fuck up the best ride at disneyland

I'm glad they're revamping star tours though. my friend and I who used to go every year (marching band in highschool) made it a tradition to ride that one every single time, even though we knew how lousy it was. sorta like a inside joke between us! I just hope they keep peewee herman's voice lol
    ...Are you sure that wasn't the Aerosmith ride?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    He might be talking about the short lived "Rockin' Space Mountain" thing they did at Disneyland a few years back. They added some light rigging and a soundtrack from the Red Hot Chili Peppers. It lasted all of about 4 months before they shelved the idea. Surprise, surprise- most people like the "space" angle in Space Mountain.

Tach on