Options

Enough with the [Cass]tholic guilt, [Chat]

• Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Oh my god. I haven't been this Jazzed about Christmas since I was like fucking 8. srsly
    Did you end up receiving the Wii? Is it three buckets of fun?

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited December 2006
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Oh my god. I haven't been this Jazzed about Christmas since I was like fucking 8. srsly

Break open that Wii yet Dyna?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Rolling Stone Magazine, I think you said.

And Kusu. Fuck man. It's the major I took and triumphed in. I had to deal with people who didn't have a fucking clue about what they were supposed to be learning for two years.

I will condescend until you get a bloody clue about your supposed intended academic area.
    Oh my, you just are a gigantic ass hole aren't you? I don't have to listen to a god damned thing you say. There are so many things within English that someone could do, it's almost ridiculous. Don't go around thinking whatever the fuck you do with your miserable, bitter, worthless life is the only thing that's worthwhile, you amazing cunt.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Poldy, poetry sucks. It's a shit form of literature. 98.8% of it is rubbish. The other 1.02% is alright. Get over it.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Drez wrote:
    Everyone revises, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying that some people have this idea that revision is a life's journey each writer has to undertake for each piece of artistic wisdom he pens. Yes, revising and editing and rethinking and so on and so forth is necessary, but the degree to which that is necessary is not always so very dire as people seem to make it sound. Didn't Salinger spend 10 years writing and rewriting and revising Catcher In The Rye? It may have been necessary for him, but not necessarily for someone else with a different work. I don't think he spent 10 years on Franny and Zooey.

Not everyone will spend 10 years revising, but I think their writing would be better if they did. Revising is not really a process that ends; it is more like a...a mathematical function, a curve with diminishing returns. At some point you might as well just call it finished, but it never really is.

Not everyone will slice their work down to the naked core words like Hemingway, either, but that's a matter of style.

That notion is precisely what I mislike, though. I do not think words flow out onto a page like instant rainbow magic which degrades by way of revision, but I do think every piece of work has a saturation point for revision. For some, it can be ten years. For others, it may be two months. Revising something for too long can cause a writer to rethink something that could otherwise have worked, and might have made the work better. I don't know. But I don't think that revision is a process that continues a positive trend on an infinite timeline, diminishing nature of its returns notwithstanding. I think there CAN be a point where revision is potentially harmful. I don't buy into that whole "a work is never done" philosophy.

I know this is kind of going for the jugular, but George Lucas is the best recent example I can come up with. Whether you consider Star Wars to be art or not, he really clusterfucked the original trilogy with those special edition sets. Okay, he's the artist. It's his work to revise, I suppose. You know what? He's a fucking moron, and he revised himself right out of something good.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hacksaw wrote:
    Poldy, poetry sucks. It's a shit form of literature. 98.8% of it is rubbish. The other 1.02% is alright. Get over it.
    Why'd you leave Vent, Hacks? :cry:

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Hacksaw wrote:
    Hacksaw comes in with exactly what I should have said at the beginning of the argument. Also, I got GH2 as well. It's awesome.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:

And Kusu. Fuck man. It's the major I took and triumphed in. I had to deal with people who didn't have a fucking clue about what they were supposed to be learning for two years.

I will condescend until you get a bloody clue about your supposed intended academic area.
    Oh my, you just are a gigantic ass hole aren't you? I don't have to listen to a god damned thing you say. There are so many things within English that someone could do, it's almost ridiculous. Don't go around thinking whatever the fuck you do with your miserable, bitter, worthless life is the only thing that's worthwhile, you amazing cunt.

Yeah.

English teacher.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hacksaw wrote:

How much poetry have you read?

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:
    Why'd you leave Vent, Hacks? :cry:
    My internet dropped when my neighbor answered his phone. Fuck wireless.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:

Yeah.

English teacher.
    What you're an english teacher? I weep for any one of your students. Or are you saying that teaching is the only thing you can do with an english major? That's fantastically ignorant of you.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Hacksaw wrote:
    All of it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Hacksaw wrote:

All of it.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Drez wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Everyone revises, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying that some people have this idea that revision is a life's journey each writer has to undertake for each piece of artistic wisdom he pens. Yes, revising and editing and rethinking and so on and so forth is necessary, but the degree to which that is necessary is not always so very dire as people seem to make it sound. Didn't Salinger spend 10 years writing and rewriting and revising Catcher In The Rye? It may have been necessary for him, but not necessarily for someone else with a different work. I don't think he spent 10 years on Franny and Zooey.

Not everyone will spend 10 years revising, but I think their writing would be better if they did. Revising is not really a process that ends; it is more like a...a mathematical function, a curve with diminishing returns. At some point you might as well just call it finished, but it never really is.

Not everyone will slice their work down to the naked core words like Hemingway, either, but that's a matter of style.

That notion is precisely what I mislike, though. I do not think words flow out onto a page like instant rainbow magic which degrades by way of revision, but I do think every piece of work has a saturation point for revision. For some, it can be ten years. For others, it may be two months. Revising something for too long can cause a writer to rethink something that could otherwise have worked, and might have made the work better. I don't know. But I don't think that revision is a process that continues a positive trend on an infinite timeline, diminishing nature of its returns notwithstanding. I think there CAN be a point where revision is potentially harmful. I don't buy into that whole "a work is never done" philosophy.

I know this is kind of going for the jugular, but George Lucas is the best recent example I can come up with. Whether you consider Star Wars to be art or not, he really clusterfucked the original trilogy with those special edition sets. Okay, he's the artist. It's his work to revise, I suppose. You know what? He's a fucking moron, and he revised himself right out of something good.

An artsit doesn't exist alone. He has to know his audience and what they want too. Not saying he should cater ot them 100% but in the case of Lucas he keeps changing shit when all of his fans keep saying "Hey man we liked shit the way it was". That usually says something about revising things.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Drez wrote:
    Drez wrote:

From what I've heard, the only reason the original trilogy was any good was because Lucas wasn't fully in charge. I think Lucas just sucks, overall.

I'm perfectly fine with you disagreeing about revision. Writers do what works for them, to some extent. As long as they realize that revision is vitally important, and that the first draft should never be the final draft.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Hacksaw wrote:
    "90% of everything is rubbish." ... poetry, doubly so.

That does not invalidate poetry's usefulness and importance.

Also, try changing the channel your wireless is using? Unless you're leeching, of course, in which case you are lost to his whims.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Hacksaw and Thanatos are twins

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Kusu, I cannot in good conscience defend you here. Also, it's easier to defend the tobacco industry than the things you've said in the past few minutes.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Kusu, I cannot in good conscience defend you here. Also, it's easier to defend the tobacco industry than the things you've said in the past few minutes.
    Easy-schmeasy. :P

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Eat babies, sacrifice virgins, etc, etc
    that movie was awesome thanatos

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Kusu did you get a Wii?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Hacksaw and Thanatos are twins
    We are fucking hive mind.

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Easy-schmeasy. :P
    That's a cheap win.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Kusu did you get a Wii?
    No, but Guitar Hero is more than making up for it at the moment. I'll start saving for a Wii, OR just ask for one for my Birthday. In six months there should be a better idea of how well it'll be doing anyway.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Hacksaw wrote:

Same with music and all other forms of literature, especially if you count all the stuff that ISN'T officially published by publishing houses or produced in the music industry. Aren't a ridiculous number of albums released every month, globally? Like 3,000 or something? I remember reading that the number is high. About 99% of those are total shit.

Same goes with literature. Most published literature, of ANY form, is nonsense.

If we're going with unofficially published stuff or stuff that's just handed from friend to friend (which tends to happen a lot more with poetry due to it's usually short nature), then the percentage you give is justified, but also meaningless. Most "art" that people produce is rubbish, because a lot of people churn out stuff they like. In fact, in almost every arena, quality is usually heavily outweighed by crap - look at American Idol...there aren't that many excellent singers out there. 1% is being generous.

I'd say 1.02% of poetry being good is a damn good percentage.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    YOU'RE A DAMN GOOD PERCENTAGE

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Kusu did you get a Wii?
    No, but Guitar Hero is more than making up for it at the moment. I'll start saving for a Wii, OR just ask for one for my Birthday. In six months there should be a better idea of how well it'll be doing anyway.
    It'll also be far easier to find.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    stilist wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Kusu did you get a Wii?
    It'll also be far easier to find.
    Well, yeah.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Drez wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:

Same with music and all other forms of literature, especially if you count all the stuff that ISN'T officially published by publishing houses or produced in the music industry. Aren't a ridiculous number of albums released every month, globally? Like 3,000 or something? I remember reading that the number is high. About 99% of those are total shit.

If we're going with unofficially published stuff or stuff that's just handed from friend to friend (which tends to happen a lot more with poetry due to it's usually short nature), then the percentage you give is justified, but also meaningless. Most "art" that people produce is rubbish, because a lot of people churn out stuff they like. In fact, in almost every arena, quality is usually heavily outweighed by crap - look at American Idol...there aren't that many excellent singers out there. 1% is being generous.

I was going to write this exact same thing, but the board hiccuped, and then you did.

So yeah, what Drez said.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Drez wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:

Hacksaw is talking mainstream poetry. Stuff that's published, that people hold up as "oh, this is what good poetry is." Dickinson, Frost, Eliot, Angelou, etc.

And no, 1.02% is not good, _J_.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:

Yeah.

English teacher.
    What you're an english teacher? I weep for any one of your students. Or are you saying that teaching is the only thing you can do with an english major? That's fantastically ignorant of you.

:lol:

Future public school English teachers are the people who I have experienced whining about how mean poetry is to them. Now, mind you, there are some awesome English teachers out there, but they're often people who just like little stories and essays without grasping the ramifications of the thing.

Literature is one of the most broadly-encompassing things in academics this side of universal theories.

Now, I have no qualms with someone who has no lasting interest in this, I'm not exactly in to poetry myself; I utterly despised every class that specifically focused on poetry as I have no intention of trying to write it; I'm living in the wrong culture for that by a long shot.

But poetry is fricking epic in importance. Even more epic than Choco's penis.

Yes. THAT epic.

--

And yes, what Drez said.

You have not seen me rant until you have seen me rant about a bad poem.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I wish I knew how to play bass right now. Mine is just aching to be used properly.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Damn you guys and your poetry, i gots like 8 minutes before midnight and christmas is officially over here.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Drez wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:

If art is meaningful to he person who creates it I would argue it is successful art

Stuff like American Idol is not made with that in mind. It's made to appeal tothe least common denominator with our populace. It's less art and more a successful marketing research project.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:

Hacksaw is talking mainstream poetry. Stuff that's published, that people hold up as "oh, this is what good poetry is." Dickinson, Frost, Eliot, Angelou, etc.

What the hell is _J_

And, yes, 1.02% is still good. It's all subjective, but take a walk into Barnes And Noble at the end of the month with a list of everything that came out for the month. Maybe I'm just very picky, but most of the stuff that gets published - I'm willing to say 99% - is utter horseshit. That's published stuff. In any form.

I mean if Hacksaw is talking about past, existing poetry from particular acclaimed poets, then that's just subjective. I disagree with that percentage.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Saburbia wrote:
    Damn you guys and your poetry, i gots like 8 minutes before midnight and christmas is officially over here.
    I wish I were on the east coast, so it would be over sooner.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Incenjucar wrote:
    But poetry is fricking epic in importance. Even more epic than Choco's penis.

Yes. THAT epic.
    I know a certain Good Captain that would disagree with you there.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    So, I'm listening to Rammstein.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Drez wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:

What the hell is _J_

And, yes, 1.02% is still good. It's all subjective, but take a walk into Barnes And Noble at the end of the month with a list of everything that came out for the month. Maybe I'm just very picky, but most of the stuff that gets published - I'm willing to say 99% - is utter horseshit. That's published stuff. In any form.

I mean if Hacksaw is talking about past, existing poetry from particular acclaimed poets, then that's just subjective.
    _J_ is a pedant, which is what you're being.

I didn't say published. In fact, I made it very clear that mere publication wasn't what I was referring to. Fuck poetry, you need to work on basic reading comprehension.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I can't believe we're still trying to edify Kusu. Let the man get over himself on his own terms.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.