As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Diablo II: unhandled exception access violation

BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOTKILL DRACULARegistered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I decided to start playing this fine game again recently, and was enjoying my little Necro with no problems until I went to change to Act II. The game locked up with a windows error sound and the following message:

UNHANDLED EXCEPTION
ACCESS_VIOLATION (c0000005)

This happens every time I try to change acts on any of my characters.

I have reinstalled and shut down all unneccessary programs while playing, but the problem persists.

I am running Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1, on an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU with 2GB ram.

Any ideas? I'm tearing my hair out here since to reinstall I had to buy a new copy of the damned game, seemingly for nothing.

EDIT: playing fullscreen with sound on seemed to fix it, I guess this can be locked!

Beasteh on

• Options
    mvillilomvillilo Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    I had an issue a while back with ATI cards and diablo 2. My system would just freeze once I got to act 5 and started to fight baal. went through 3 version of ATI's drivers and some third party drivers. It never fixed my problem. I eventually just purchased a nVidia card and everything worked just fine after that.

try check to make sure your video drivers are up to date.

mvillilo on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    There's a fairly active D2 thread in G&T, on the first or second page. There are a few people posting there that are also fairly familiar with the more technical aspects of it, if you should run into any more trouble.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    KotenkKotenk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Also, Blizzard Technical Support still covers the game.

Kotenk on