As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Being Paul Giamatti: Cold Souls

ElkiElki get busyModerator, ClubPA mod
edited September 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Scenario: Actor Paul Giamatti is doing a Chekhov play, but becomes entangled with the character he's playing and doesn't know how to deal with it. Solution: Take out his soul until he's done with the play. Hilarity ensues, and the film doesn't live up to its potential. Problem: too much plot and not enough contemplation of what a soul is and what we are without one. At some point I thought it was take on the international transplant market. It still might be, I'm not sure.

Funny, definitely funny, and kinda good, but doesn't live up to the potential of the premise and all the threads the opening act starts.

Did anybody else watch it?

smCQ5WE.jpg
Elki on

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This thread is a little bit like you're giving me a pony only to tell me you have to put it down right away.

Thanks, I think.

At any rate, I like Giamatti, and the premise sounds awesome, so I'll likely try to see it anyway.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    After seeing the clip where he gets the sales pitch for the service I have been looking forward to this.

Bogart on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2009
    The double-edged bit of the movie was probably
    the Russian soul mafia introduces us the concept of using another soul, but then gets in the way of really exploring that with Russian soul mafia plot.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The movie looked interesting, but last time I checked it wasn't showing in the DC area. I have to check again.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2009
    I saw it opening weekend in New York, about a month ago.

I absolutely loved the film. It had a very "Being John Malcovich" feel to it, which is never a bad thing.

Yeah, it doesn't answer every question, but it gives you more than enough to be completely happy with, and some of the shit that happens is so weird that I think answering it would cheapen the experience.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I found this film painful to watch. Extremely poor pacing. Good performances, but awful script.

Hachface on