As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Which of these two options would you choose?

14567810»

• Options
    CavilCavil Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    On the dark side. With the Decepticons.

Cavil on
    Virtue finds and chooses the mean.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Cavil wrote:
    In Generation Y America? You're kidding right?

I don't think he realizes that the vast majority of America is purely materialistic and doesn't really give a shit about the world beyond what new toys it can bring them.

Which proves that he lives in a cave. On the moon.
    I don't think he realizes much about this discussion at all. [chat] thread that way ->

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Saddam_I'm_addasSaddam_I'm_addas Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Cavil wrote:
    In Generation Y America? You're kidding right?

I don't think he realizes that the vast majority of America is purely materialistic and doesn't really give a shit about the world beyond what new toys it can bring them.

Which proves that he lives in a cave. On the moon.
    I don't think he realizes much about this discussion at all. [chat] thread that way ->

So the body of Saddam Hussein, former loyal axeman of the United States, becomes another statistic in a long line of American and Iraqi casualties that props up the lifestyles of the American youth who sit here and enjoy the benefits of their society far removed from any of the effects.

Who lives in a cave?

Saddam_I'm_addas on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hey, derailing and thread assassination is so 15 pages ago.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Bliss 101 wrote:
    Hey, derailing and thread assassination is so 15 pages ago.

I'm not derailing. I'm going back to the original point of the thread.

If the choice is between 4 billion killed instantly or 5 billion, most people would choose to push the button.

What if the real option was to push the button and 4 billion people would be killed slowly over a period of 20 years, or not push the button and the man across from you would be killing 5 billion people instantly?

What would the choice be then?

Saddam_I'm_addas on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Push the button and save a billion people.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    In pushing the button and saving 1 billion people, you're still exposing them to the horrors of watching 4 billion people die over a 20 year period.

Saddam_I'm_addas on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    What if the real option was to push the button and 4 billion people would be killed slowly over a period of 20 years, or not push the button and the man across from you would be killing 5 billion people instantly?

What would the choice be then?

well... you push the button.

killing off 500 million people a year, hell... a decent increase in birth rate could almost make that nominal. Also, you don't have most of the world's poplulation to dispose of all at once. There would be a whole lot less famine and disease. People would be able to adjust.

you kill 5 billion people at once, most of the other billion and a half are probably going to die pretty quickly.

You spread 4 billion out over 20 years, and it will be a whole lot easier to cope with. There would be almost no chance of exitinction.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    In pushing the button and saving 1 billion people, you're still exposing them to the horrors of watching 4 billion people die over a 20 year period.

Yeah, so what?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Ok... add in that everyone gets sterilized during the 20 year period. No babys born during this time period at all. Regular pregnancies will resume after the 20 year period, but no one knows that yet.

There are 6 billion people on the planet. Either way, you're forcing them to watch 4-5 billion people die. Do you force them to watch them die slowly and in anarchy or quickly and painlessly?

Saddam_I'm_addas on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Cavil wrote:
    On the dark side. With the Decepticons.

Dude, if I lived with decepticons, everyone on Earth would be so screwed.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Ok... add in that everyone gets sterilized during the 20 year period. No babys born during this time period at all. Regular pregnancies will resume after the 20 year period, but no one knows that yet.

There are 6 billion people on the planet. Either way, you're forcing them to watch 4-5 billion people die. Do you force them to watch them die slowly and in anarchy or quickly and painlessly?

:roll:

do we have time to prepare?

redx on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Okay, purely hypothetical here:

There are two buttons and twenty people.

If you press one button, ten of them are dropped into a tank with seven sharks in it. Each shark will only eat one person, but it's possible they'll just have a feeding frenzy and kill a few more. However, if the sharks DON'T kill all the people dropped in the tank, they have a chance of escaping.

Additionally, five of the other ten people will be dropped into the shark tank after thirty seconds. The average time for a shark to eat somebody is twenty-five seconds. However, it's possible for people to cling onto their cages for up to ten seconds. If these people are caught in a feeding frenzy (if there is one), then they will probably get killed. Otherwise, it's possible for them to get out.

The last five people would have to watch, but afterwards, they would be free to go. Oh, and all the people that would get killed would probably be family.

Now, the other button. That releases a swarm of poisonous spiders into the group of twenty people. Brown recluses, because necrosis kicks ass. However, there are ten packs of anti-venom.

The anti-venom is guarded by sharks. In order to get some, the people will have to willingly dive into the shark tank to retrieve it. However, the button also releases a whole bunch of fresh mutton into the shark tank, possibly sending the sharks into a frenzy. Maybe not, though.

Now, if you don't press either button, the roof of the cell holding the 20 people will slowly descend. If you are indecisive for too long, they'll be turned into a Ji-hill Sandwich.

What do you do?

Garthor on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    shoot the hostage?

redx on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    TL;DR!!!11

Yar on
  • Options
    CavilCavil Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Here's something of a Strangelove scenario. If a rogue element within our government were to launch nukes at another nuclear power, let's say Russia, would that country be within its rights to retaliate even if we already neutralized our rogue element? Think about it. They're about to lose more or less their entire population - as a final act, wouldn't you want revenge?

Cavil on
    Virtue finds and chooses the mean.
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    No.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    A warlord is going to kill seven people if you don't kill one, but the one you have to kill is Hitler, but one of the ones he is going to kill is Anne Frank. Also, another one of the ones he is going to kill is Hitler. They are Hitler clones.

Doc on
This discussion has been closed.