As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I need a flash game made

eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys,

So, my company makes nail polish.

I want a flash game that is basically a bejewelled clone, but with bottles of different colours of polish.

Basically I want to add content to our facebook ;)

Send me a PM if you're in the business of doing such things, or know where I can look!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
eatmosushi on

• Options
    t_catt11t_catt11 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You can always go and post a listing on Scriptlance or eLance and have freelance develpers bid on doing the job for you.

t_catt11 on
    Santa4Me.com: Personalized letters from Santa Claus!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    nice, thanks for the advice! 8-)

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You are quite welcome. :)

t_catt11 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    There's a lot of bejewled games out there. A LOT. Find the games, look at the credits to see who made them, e-mail them and offer to pay them to reskin the game for you. Since they already made it, it should be a lot cheaper than having someone build it from scratch.

NotYou on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    On the contrary, if you look hard enough you could find a budding programmer to do it for free to strengthen their portfolio.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nobody is going to write an entire game like that for free and be worth a damn unless they are woefully unemployed, at which point you must ask if they are that good to begin with.

Anyway, E-Lance is a good site for finding things like this. You could likely get an Indian/Chinese contractor to whip that up for under 2 grand.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Demerdar wrote: »
    On the contrary, if you look hard enough you could find a budding programmer to do it for free to strengthen their portfolio.

This is a terrible thing to say, because it gets people in the frame of mind of, "why should I pay for art/programming/writing if I can just tell them they can use it for their portfolio!?". That's all well and fine until, surprise, 75% of the commissioner community thinks that way.

It happens a LOT to those of us in the freelancing community. We do work, we need to be paid for our work. I don't know how many times someone has said, "i won't pay you with money, but i will pay you with the ability to put the work in your portfolio and keep all rights to it!" Oh, really? And how am I going to pay for the tools I use to create work for you with the "rights" (which you wouldn't have gotten aside from an additional fee anyway) and "portfolio" work?

That being said - students will be cheaper, but do NOT think you can get some poor shmuck to do this without being paid. The idea of finding a similar game and tracking down the individuals who made it and having them reskin it sounds like a brilliant idea to me, as well.

Pay your artists. Pay your programmers. Everyone's happy. Good luck.

mully on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

If I'm going to have an obsessive-compulsive perfectionist client having me make hundreds of tiny little changes for a project that I'm getting nothing out of besides the project itself, I want that obsessive-compulsive perfectionist to be me..

Just sayin'.

admanb on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    eatmosushi wrote: »

So, your clients are all avid Facebook users? Or are you purposely limiting your range to that small amount of prospects that also happen to use Facebook?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    mully wrote: »

This is a terrible thing to say, because it gets people in the frame of mind of, "why should I pay for art/programming/writing if I can just tell them they can use it for their portfolio!?". That's all well and fine until, surprise, 75% of the commissioner community thinks that way.

It happens a LOT to those of us in the freelancing community. We do work, we need to be paid for our work. I don't know how many times someone has said, "i won't pay you with money, but i will pay you with the ability to put the work in your portfolio and keep all rights to it!" Oh, really? And how am I going to pay for the tools I use to create work for you with the "rights" (which you wouldn't have gotten aside from an additional fee anyway) and "portfolio" work?

That being said - students will be cheaper, but do NOT think you can get some poor shmuck to do this without being paid. The idea of finding a similar game and tracking down the individuals who made it and having them reskin it sounds like a brilliant idea to me, as well.

Pay your artists. Pay your programmers. Everyone's happy. Good luck.

There is also a very practical reason why you absolutely should not do what Demerdar suggested: you get what you pay for. If you are at all concerned about getting a product that:

1) Ever gets finished at all
    2) Works
    3) Works in the way you want it to
    4) Is finished even remotely close to on time

then volunteer or student labor is not for you.

edit: Also, have you worked with freelance developers before? Even among professional Flash freelancers there is a huge range of quality. Because so many flash "developers" are designer / artist types who have picked up a little code it is especially difficult to pick out a skilled developer for a project like this (where a designer / artist type is absolutely not what you want)

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    As an aside, anybody who is considering doing free work to improve their portfolio should be aware that the only thing it demonstrates is a willingness to be exploited and a lack of business savvy. Decent companies wont hire you because you'd be bad for their business culture, the companies who do hire you are going to be ones hoping to capitalise on your willingness to be exploited by underpaying and overworking you. From a freelance persepctive, the only clients you are going to attract are ones who will also expect you to work for free.

By all means, go ahead and do it. Just be aware that it wont lead to your big break in the industry. In fact you won't een actually be a part of the industry.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    you guys have given me some tremendous insights.

eatmosushi on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    so now i have two projects that i'm considering, just throwing them out there for communal brainstorming.

1. ipod app - i want to upload all 500 colours and let people browse them in a free app - and if they like the product, they can press a button and get hooked into our online shopping cart via safari

2. flash sims ripoff - you can have your own little <brand> Girl and dress her up like a virtual bratz character. The more products you buy, the more <brand> Points you earn, which lets you buy things for the house, clothes, etc.

3. the bejewelled clone, but certain scores generate promo codes which make free products with purchase available. (one-shot codes)

eatmosushi on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yep, you defintiely need to find yourself a flash programmer.

t_catt11 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    What exactly do you wish to accomplish with these games? What is the goal driving them?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    so now i have two projects that i'm considering, just throwing them out there for communal brainstorming.

1. ipod app - i want to upload all 500 colours and let people browse them in a free app - and if they like the product, they can press a button and get hooked into our online shopping cart via safari

2. flash sims ripoff - you can have your own little <brand> Girl and dress her up like a virtual bratz character. The more products you buy, the more <brand> Points you earn, which lets you buy things for the house, clothes, etc.

3. the bejewelled clone, but certain scores generate promo codes which make free products with purchase available. (one-shot codes)

Here would be my ranking in order from doable to batshit crazy

As I said, 3 is something you could easily buy on the freelance market for a reasonale price.

1 will probably cost you a little bit more and the extent to which people would actually use such a thing is questionable.

2 is overkill for a first time project.... cut your teeth on #3, gauge the success, and then act accordingly.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    What exactly do you wish to accomplish with these games? What is the goal driving them?

1. drive traffic to our site, making us, the manufacturer, pop up on search engines well before slanty-eyed-ripoffs.com

2. keep that traffic purchasing something - make it fun and easy for loyal fans to get product plus value plus entertainment

3. more reasons for facebookers, twitteres, and bloggers to talk about my site - viral marketing is a.o.k. usa #1

eatmosushi on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    You're gong to want to consider who your target market is and then look at what sort of games they are playing. The easiest way to do this is probably to encourage them to friend your company on facebook for a 10% off voucher or something (don't forget to advertise this promotion via your print channels) and then just watch them and see what they are playing on facebook already. Mafia wars? Sorority whatsitcalled? Which Pussycat Doll Am I?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Does your organization have any internal development people? Maybe an "interactive services" team or the like?

Because options 1 and 3 are right at the edge and 2 is way over the edge of what you could throw at a single person and have any chance of things working out.

There is a lot more to development than coding. Even for the small projects you need to think about who is doing the project management (basicially: keeping track of the schedule, the money and telling the developer what to make - the dev then figures out how) and source control.

For a one man project you can kind of skim over those issues and hope for the best. If the dev is sufficiently experienced (read: expensive) they will get by. They are your safety net and if nothing goes wrong they seem kind of pointless. And with a really good dev sometimes things don't go wrong.

But in a project that spans more than one person (which #2 would probably be) they become essential. Every person you add to a project increases the management complexity exponentially.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I think I am the dev :o

I've already got graphic artists employed, I don't need music, so I'm really just looking at coders, right?

eatmosushi on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    my target market is chicks.

chicks between 15-65

chicks dig bejewelled, chicks dig the Sims.

dunno if anyone anywhere could argue that

eatmosushi on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I think I am the dev :o

I've already got graphic artists employed, I don't need music, so I'm really just looking at coders, right?

If you are going to take on the role of Program Manager then yes. The role basicially comes down to three things:

1) Communicate, preferably in writing, to the dev(s) what the project needs to do. What it should look like, how it should act from an end users point of view. This document ("spec") does not need to mention code at all. It is describing what the project should be from a users point of view when finished. This is where you would include any notes about look and feel, color palettes, feature requirements and nice-to-haves etc... This document can be as little or as much as you want, but with devs you don't know personally or are freelancers more is better. Basicially, if its not in the spec do not expect it do be done.

2) Keep track of the schedule (and therefore the budget). If things are taking longer then expected then you decide what features get cut or if the deadline gets pushed out.

3) Keep track of bug reports from testers (in a small company often the PM is also a tester), users and management. Decide the priority of bugs. Keep track of which have been fixed and which are going to be "defered" (ie: ignored).

edit: With regards to #3, some kind of bug tracking software is essential.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    As a developer, this is EVERYTHING that was wrong with the Dot Com Boom and then bust. Everyone assumed, they can be Step 1) Computers/Comp Sci, Step 2) ?? Step 3) PROFIT! It's what upper upper management in non-online business think they should be. "I've heard of this Web 2.0 thing and we need to be a part of it"

What you are talking developing is not something that will take a weekend or be cheap. Some of the simpliest things can take months for very little if ever profit.

EDIT - Premature posting.

Like RiemannLives said, you need to follow some basic steps

- You may need to get approval from higher ups / legal in your company to make sure it's ok to represent your company with these games. If they aren't done to their (usually high) standards, they might not want NailPolish Inc attached to it.
    -you need to write down what you want IN DETAIL what the END product should be. How you get there is up to the dev but the END product should be there. If you want high scores, you need to mention it in the spec or the dev won't make a high score list.
    -You need to talk with the Dev, at least weekly on what and how far along they are. Budget/time/technology are all YOUR responsibility
    -You need to hire a tester / test yourself.

Good luck but I think you underestimate the size/scope of this.

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    er, are you planning on sending me a bill?

I feel like a thief getting such great consulting for free

eatmosushi on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Gilbert0 wrote: »
    As a developer, this is EVERYTHING that was wrong with the Dot Com Boom and then bust. Everyone assumed, they can be Step 1) Computers/Comp Sci, Step 2) ?? Step 3) PROFIT! It's what upper upper management in non-online business think they should be. "I've heard of this Web 2.0 thing and we need to be a part of it"

Er... let's be fair. This guy has a business that, presumably, makes money. He is not, presumably, working off of millions of dollars in investor money. He has a business plan that describes a revenue stream - i.e. sell nail polish.

That is the opposite of about 90% of what caused the Dot Com boom.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    This project doesn't seem that unusual for a low cost (because even the larger #2 project above is a drop in the bucket compared to the advertising budget for a large company) / high risk fringe marketing effort.

I've certainly been paid to do far dumber things in the name of "growing the brand".

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited September 2009

So, your clients are all avid Facebook users? Or are you purposely limiting your range to that small amount of prospects that also happen to use Facebook?

limiting it to facebook is a bad idea, I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that.

I am thinking of putting on our main site, proper.

our facebook following is only at 300 people, i only made it a week ago :(

i'm slowly but surely getting our 7000 twitter followers over there, and our blogspot site is pretty hot at the moment.

eatmosushi on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    or IS it a bad idea?

eatmosushi on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    or IS it a bad idea?

That depends entirely on what you are trying to acheive and how much risk you are willing to take on.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    admanb wrote: »
    Gilbert0 wrote: »

Er... let's be fair. This guy has a business that, presumably, makes money. He is not, presumably, working off of millions of dollars in investor money. He has a business plan that describes a revenue stream - i.e. sell nail polish.

That is the opposite of about 90% of what caused the Dot Com boom.

All right I get that and I'm probably a little harsh. It's just I'm just a little protective of a non-trivial task that others have suggested that could be free / portfolio boost that I do for a CAREER. You'd definately need to pay someone to do this.

Re-reading the post, the OP is actually just asking where to look for coders. Depending on where OP lives, all he'd need to do is draw up some firm requirements and either a) hire a coder to work for the nailpolish Inc OR b) contract out to an existing development company. Maybe a listing on some job listing sites can give him an idea of what kind of talent is out there.
    or IS it a bad idea?

That depends entirely on what you are trying to acheive and how much risk you are willing to take on.

Exactly. It may not even be your decision based on your position / size of the company though it sounds like it's a smaller one.

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    What do you guys mean by "risk"?

eatmosushi on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    What do you guys mean by "risk"?

The chance that the project will for some reason fail. EG: cost more than expected, take too long, not have the desired effect etc...

With this one one of the main risks is that even if the game is done on time and works well it won't have much benefit for the company.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Say it costs $5000 to make all 3 games and they are perfect. What if no one plays them? What if everyone plays them but no one buys any of your products? You'll be out your time / company money with no return.

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    or IS it a bad idea?

There is no short way to answer this, but the wall of text I'm about to write can be summarized in one phrase: Know your client!

All advertising entails risk. There is a chance that you'll fall flat on your face and loose all the money you tried to invest or you could hit it big with a really innovative new scheme that no one thought about. However, you can reduce the margin of risk by studying your target audience. At work, when ever we have to come up with a new product meant to gain membership to my corporation we don't go "Oh, I think this might be cool! Lets do it!" We sit down, discuss our client's needs, study to see areas of opportunities and what the competition is offering and then from that we come up with a new plan.

I don't know much about the nail polish industry, but I have to wonder if these devices that you want to develop are appealing to them... or to you. I you're not sure, ask yourself about the profile of your average customer. Is it old asian ladies, or teenage girls? Is it a guy in a truck that buys boxes in bulk or is it a make up artist that buys 2 bottles per week? Is he gay? Is he straight? What hobbies do they have? What worries them?

When you identify them, get to know them and see what their needs are and if these apps are the right tool to get their attention with.

1. drive traffic to our site, making us, the manufacturer, pop up on search engines well before slanty-eyed-ripoffs.com

2. keep that traffic purchasing something - make it fun and easy for loyal fans to get product plus value plus entertainment

3. more reasons for facebookers, twitteres, and bloggers to talk about my site - viral marketing is a.o.k. usa #1

As someone who lives and breathes advertising, I believe that there is a horrendous misconception that advertising, as a tool, is some sort of magic wand that will instantly get you what you want. Advertising is like an avalanche; Yeah, it's fast! Yeah, it's destructive! But before all the power comes into play, all that snow had to slowly pile up on the mountain.

Your goals tell me that you want all the power, without enough snow for your avalanche.

1. You want to drive traffic to your site
    Good! How many of those that you are driving aren't already your customers? Those which aren't, how will you keep them? You didn't build any loyalty with them. You also have to ask yourself, is this the best media to attract new customers?

Perhaps as a developer, you are suffering from tunnel vision. To me, an ad in a specialized magazine will reach more people than a search engine.

2. You want to keep loyal customers purchasing
    Excellent! But they are already loyal to you... why are you wasting your time in preaching to the converted? Get out there, find some heathens!

3. Facebook and Twitter traffic
    10 points for thinking about using free media to advertise, but if your audience does not use these social networks... the effort will be in vain. Also, once again, you're not really reaching anyone who doesn't already know about your product. 300 Facebook users and 7,000 Twitter fans form what % of your income? Is it really worth spending so much money on developing aps, when you could instead mail a free sample to key people in the nail polish industry who have yet to switch to your product?

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound cruel. Nor do I want to crush your dreams, but to me this is a terrible idea. If someone presented this to me at work, I'd politely suggest to explore other directions.

Edit:
    I once developed a facebook app. It's great! Works awesome! Guess what! Noone uses it!

Edit 2:

I'm sorry, I'm being more destructive and less constructive that I should. I can see that you are eager to work and put your skills to use. You're very passionate about this because you've thought of all these ideas. However, point your avalanche in the right direction, why not set up a meeting with the marketing team and see what is out there? Get to know where the oportunities are.

If I have not discouraged you, I want you to know these points about your business which will help you identify opportunities and problem spots that should be addressed:

Who is your customer?
    What do they like? How old are they? What kind of budget do they have? How do they spend their idle time? Usually, there is not one group of customers, but rather one main group and several other smaller groups.

Who is your competition?
    What do they sell? How much does it cost? Where do they advertise? Do they sell other things? How are you perceived when compared to them? Knowing your enemy is the key to beating them.

What benefit can you offer that noone else has?
    If you don't have one, make one. Don't make one up... but rather dig deep in your creativity and find a way to team up with other beauty products that will help piggy back your lack luster nail polish!

Set goals
    They must be realistic, tangible and measurable. Saying, "driving traffic to my site" is ambiguous. Be specific.

Once you know these things, you'll be able to better asses your market's situations and know how to tackle the industry specific problems.

MagicToaster on