As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East Train Alliance (PAXTrain EAST!)

• Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Train > Edit:DRAGON Flying > Driving, the train allows more freedom and conversation (Amtrak staff are AMAZINGNEZZ). And despite the fact that train is 90% 2x longer than driving, still beats flying big time. More comfortable, big seats, safer electronics transportation, and (as an added bonus thank to PAX Train) A LOT more game!

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2010
    Woah Woah Woah. In no universe is Flying > Driving

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited March 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

Edited & fixed ^ ;p

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Oh dear... My experience suggests otherwise...
    img2262smu.jpg

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
  • Options
    smerksmerk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    In my experience Rail > Commercial Air Travel by a substantial margin. Even in the USA or Australia where it's fairly slow, It's more comfortable, less intrusive (ESPECIALLY in the USA), and more scenic than air travel. There's space to prepare meals that don't suck (Potentially in the future), And more of a chance to meet people, hang out and finish the damn book you've been meaning to finish for three months. In the US especially, the trains are also Freakin' Huge :)

I've traveled a lot by train on three continents, and I have come to the conclusion that trains don't suck. Even the Australian ones, which suck. I've traveled a lot by plane on those same three continents, and have come to the conclusion that comercial air travel sucks enormously.

To quote a fellow WCTT passenger - All aboard the fun train!

smerk on
    What is this 'Pants' of which you speak?
  • Options
    papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Indeed. We love our Zephyrs. Damn beautiful machines to boot.

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    As of about 4 hours ago, the train trip has officially started with coldbrew's departure on the Blue Line. It begins, people, it begins.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    emajkutemajkut Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    God speed, coldbrew!

emajkut on
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    11:35pm PST. Connected to the internet with my laptop through my Droid phone. Anybody that knows eastern Washington knows how dark and empty it is at night so I have no idea where I am, but based on my 3G service I gotta be near Spokane. It's been fun so far, getting my own room was very worth it.

Think I got carpal tunnel while playing Sonic and Knuckles on my laptop, lol. Another PAX goer found me too, I know he posted in here somewhere but I can't remember his name.

Anyway, gonna watch a movie then probably fall asleep. Look forward to seeing everybody in Chicago and beyond. I'll post again when/if I ever get 3G service again.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Have fun you guys, it's to the highway for me!

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    As of about 4 hours ago, the train trip has officially started with coldbrew's departure on the Blue Line. It begins, people, it begins.

I got on at about 5:45pm PST. Somebody else got on from Seattle though so it officially started with him. Close enough though.

And yeah I must be in Spokane, I haven't seen this much civilization since I left Everett. :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Keep us updated! I'll see you in Cleveland in the early hours of Thursday morning! :)

emajkut on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Awesome! Yeah I'll try to post whenever I get 3G coverage. This is my first time seeing Spokane, it's a lot bigger than I thought. I also just remembered we're hooking on a lounge/observation car here so I'll have to check it out in the morning.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Coldbrew wrote: »

I got on at about 5:45pm PST. Somebody else got on from Seattle though so it officially started with him. Close enough though.

And yeah I must be in Spokane, I haven't seen this much civilization since I left Everett. :P

Somebody else, eh? I knew there were going to be lurkers on the trains, just didn't think one from so far. You should go kidnap him and play DS and card games together.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The concept of Train Lurkers makes me want to play Starcraft. Thanks Moe. ;)=)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    HunterAngelHunterAngel Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Have a safe trip you Train people.. see you in Boston

HunterAngel on
    Monty: Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't I been inside you?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    He posted in this thread somewhere I just forgot who he was lol. I will find him again, his room is just under mine. Just left Whitefish, MT btw. Everything is frozen.

EDIT: Smerk is the other PAX goer on the train here, actually sitting here in the room with me right now. We recently left Browning, MT.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    smerksmerk Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    If anyone has a spare R4 or similar for the DSi, or wants to sell theirs, Please bring it as my DS currently is gameless and alone.

smerk on
    What is this 'Pants' of which you speak?
  • Options
    SWATJesterSWATJester Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Don't remember if I posted it before, but my girlfriend and I are picking up the train in DC at Union Station. Look forwrad to seeing you there.

SWATJester on
    Moderator, PAX Prime 08, 09, 10, 10-East, panels on "Legal Issues in Gaming"
    Contributing Editor, http://www.gamepolitics.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hmm, I can't seem to edit. So here's the info for the OP:

What line you will be on: Stone
    Name: Dan Rosenthal and Kristin Jessup
    Boarding Stop: Union Station
    Ticket Purchased: Y

SWATJester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    You were in the OP, but you had yourself listed with +4 from a legal issues panel. I updated that entry with what you have here.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited March 2010
    Sorry Moe! It's just the two of us on the train, and the others are flying. The panel is being pushed back hopefully to Pax West '10, unfortunately, due to a limitations on the amount of room.

SWATJester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So it's 11pm central and we're in the middle of bum-fuck nowhere. By that I mean North Dakota. I'm getting anxious to get to Chicago now...

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    MogutaMoguta Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    Late entry, but better late than never, yes?

What line you will be on: Stone Line
    Name: Chris
    Boarding Stop: Wilmington, DE
    Ticket Purchased: Y

Moguta on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I wonder if there is going to be a gathering at Coldbrew's train arrival in Chicago of all PAXer's anxiously awaiting his smiling face denoting the fact that PAX ETA is now picking up in speed ;p.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    ElSantosElSantos Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Hmm, there's a good question:

Should the Stone Liners stick around with a welcome banner for the Lava Bus?

We could. But we probably won't want to.

ElSantos on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Any chance of pics? :)

emajkut on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I've been taking some pictures along the way, I can try to upload them when I have a good connection when we get to Minneapolis in about 5 hours. We just left Grand Forks ND.

Also I don't know how many other PAXers are going to be in Chicago when this train arrives. I know the Copper (I think) comes in about a half hour before us, but I don't think many people are on it, and the lava line doesn't depart until about 5 hours later.

Anyway, we're pretty much exactly on time so far so hopefully it will stay that way, especially with the lava line.

Oh yeah, somebody has been smoking some weed within like the last half an hour as well. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So out of curiosity, what's the power situation like on the train? Are there outlets for charging phones/laptops/etc? I guess you'd have one in your room, but since my leg of the trip is only 15 hours I just got a regular seat, no room. Wondering if I'll be able to get any work done on the train, or if all my equipment is gonna be dead three hours into the trip :(

emajkut on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah I have my own outlet because I have a room, but this room is only for the trip to Chicago. From then on I'm on coach. The coach cars do have some outlets but they're limited. I think the lounge car has some outlets too, which is good because I'm sure much of the lava line paxers will be there most of the time.

The lounge car is pretty far away from where my room is at, but if I happen to go back there again I'll see what I can find.

Anyway, we'll be getting into Wisconsin pretty soon if we're not already, and they just said we're on time to get into Chicago.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So, I had originally planned to get on the Stone line train at Union Station in DC, but it'd actually be easier for me to get to the Alexandria station tomorrow morning. Do any of you happen to know if boarding the train a stop earlier is kosher? I'm waiting on a response from Amtrak but figured I'd ask here in case anyone had prior experience with something like this.

Bama on
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    All the trains I've been on had access to power outlets in the basic seats. If its taken or whatever, I'm pretty sure there are outlets in the diner car at the tables.
    happen to know if boarding the train a stop earlier is kosher?
    I think that changes the ticket price, so go early and talk to the people at the counter.

There are like 40 people getting on at union. Wild.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Alright the blue and orange lines are in chicago. I'm pissed I had to go to a mcdonalds for wifi access cuz there is no 3g coverage for some god awful reason. Anyway, hope to meet up with more of you today, smerk, papaprinny and I will be wandering for a whbile...

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    Alright the blue and orange lines are in chicago. I'm pissed I had to go to a mcdonalds for wifi access cuz there is no 3g coverage for some god awful reason. Anyway, hope to meet up with more of you today, smerk, papaprinny and I will be wandering for a whbile...

That reminds me of the commercial *Verizon vs. AT&T*... you know, with the maps?

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Last year's CCST was hard proof that AT&T's 3g nationwide coverage is garbage

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited March 2010
    I found out it was just my phone... anyway the lava line is moving! There is at least 11 of us, we're in the lounge car. 4 of them are playing dominion. Many pictures are being taken of course. We look forward to meeting up with more of you!

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    XirycXiryc Middleburg Hts, OHRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'll be taking pictures, maybe even recording some video if my phone can handle it. ;)

Looking forward to meeting the Lava Line in Cleveland.

Xiryc on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Awesome news! I'm getting last minute shit done here before I head out in the wee morning.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So we've officially taken over the dining car in the name of gaming. It is beautiful.

[edit] - Correction! Lounge car. Sheesh.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Bitstream wrote: »
    So we've officially taken over the dining car in the name of gaming. It is beautiful.

[edit] - Correction! Lounge car. Sheesh.

That's better. :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
This discussion has been closed.