As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East Train Alliance (PAXTrain EAST!)

• Options
    emajkutemajkut Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah I originally had reservations at the Colonnade, but more Sheraton rooms opened up and I switched over. I hope the rooms are comparable.

emajkut on
  • Options
    Trisha LynnTrisha Lynn Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sadly, while I did get a nice influx of cash post-NYE, I then had to use it to pay my "union" dues, so I am no longer going to be at PAX East this year. If you could please take my name off the train list, I'd really appreciate it.

Trisha Lynn on
    -- Editor/Publisher, GeekingOutAbout.com
    -- Publisher, Saucy Goose Press
    -- On Twitter @trishalynn
  • Options
    ian.samuelian.samuel Washington, DCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I've got a tentative bead on a carpool from DC, but if that doesn't work, I am totally PAXTraining it up to Boston. Seems like a totally ideal environment to get in some DS multiplayer and around 500 games of Dominion.

ian.samuel on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I don't have a DS. How well do board games work on a train? I'd like to check out some new stuff along the way :)

emajkut on
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    emajkut wrote: »
    I don't have a DS. How well do board games work on a train? I'd like to check out some new stuff along the way :)

Not as badly as one might imagine. Pretty well, actually. I'd investigate the table situation on your specific route further, though. The longer trains have observation decks with great tables. Not sure about the shorter commuter routes.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    ian.samuelian.samuel Washington, DCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Arco wrote: »
    emajkut wrote: »

Not as badly as one might imagine. Pretty well, actually. I'd investigate the table situation on your specific route further, though. The longer trains have observation decks with great tables. Not sure about the shorter commuter routes.

Even on some of the shorter routes like the ones I've ridden in the Northeast Corridor, there are often some tables in the snack cars. Not huge, & not as good as the observation decks, but enough to accommodate a couple of people.

ian.samuel on
  • Options
    shrapnelshrapnel Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Will be riding the 24-hour Lava Line. Hoping for a merry trainventure. First PAX.

Name: Tim
    Boarding Stop: Chicago (Union Station)
    Ticket Purchased: Y

shrapnel on
  • Options
    WhereMyArmWhereMyArm Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sorry Moe, but my group is going to have to pull out. :( Due to financial constraints and school we had to get plane tickets instead.

WhereMyArm on
  • Options
    papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Confirmed:

Name: Dan Borders
    Boarding Stop: Mount Pleasant, IA

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    WhereMyArm wrote: »
    Sorry Moe, but my group is going to have to pull out. :( Due to financial constraints and school we had to get plane tickets instead.

Good lord man, where do you live that flying is cheaper?

[edit] - Oh, duh, MN. Wait, what? I'm assuming Minneapolis to Boston must be an amazing discount flight. Nothing I found here in MI or out of Chicago even came close to beating Amtrak.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Bitstream wrote: »

[edit] - Oh, duh, MN. Wait, what? I'm assuming Minneapolis to Boston must be an amazing discount flight. Nothing I found here in MI or out of Chicago even came close to beating Amtrak.

For long distances, flying is way cheaper.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    Z3r0TZ3r0T Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Flying is going to be less than $300 for me from San Francisco, California to Boston. I haven't checked it myself, but probably cheaper than train from here. Wish I had the time for the train though, but I got school. For sure doing it to Seattle again this year... Hopefully take train to PAX East next year as well, if the marines don't send me away by then or keep me busy otherwise.

Z3r0T on
  • Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Arco wrote: »

For long distances, flying is way cheaper.

Shopping for flights around here always pisses me off. You'd think there are enough people clamoring to get out of Michigan to warrant a cheap express flight.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I live so close to philly that a train ticket was cheaper, too bad Im arriving on the 22nd.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    $292 was the subtotal for the train ticket, versus $220 for round trip plane. Plus half my group has classes that they decided they would rather not miss, and by taking the flight we can get there/back the same day in 5 hours, where as the train would have taken 36 hours. I would have loved to have been able to come and do the whole pre-PAX party thing, but after we all talked about it again we agreed this would be better for our wallets and grades.

WhereMyArm on
  • Options
    sanosuke001sanosuke001 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What line you will be on: Lava Line
    Name: Stephen (sano)
    Boarding Stop: Utica, NY

Driving + parking at the hotel was going to cost more than my $116 ticket cost; twice as long to get there but I can sleep if I want to. Seems win/win to me...

sanosuke001 on
  • Options
    HunterAngelHunterAngel Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Shopping for flights around here always pisses me off. You'd think there are enough people clamoring to get out of Michigan to warrant a cheap express flight.

I found through US Airlines it was 220/person round trip from DTW to Boston. Layover in either DC or Philly

HunterAngel on
    Monty: Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't I been inside you?
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2010
    But... you can't party on a plane

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

Well you can, but they usually have some nice men in suits waiting for you at your destination.

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I really wish I could be partying on the train. If anyone else is considering switching over to a plane instead of the train and they don't have the same budget/school restrictions, you shouldn't, the train looks infinitely more fun. I'll just have to save more for next year and hopefully the class schedule works out better.

WhereMyArm on
  • Options
    XirycXiryc Middleburg Hts, OHRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What line you will be on: Lava Line
    Name: Tony
    Boarding Stop: Cleveland, OH

Also Moe, I'll be on that monday train with you on the way back.

Xiryc on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Nice.

I've got cousins in Middleburg Hts, also my parents go to church there.

PAX East is bringing out all the local geeks.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, it's too bad I can't get my Magic playing friends to go anywhere unless a Mox is on the line.

I'll be bringing We Didn't Playtest This At All and We Didn't Playtest This Either.

Also, since I'm a baker at the Lakewood Giant Eagle, expect something from there. Any requests? (This question is for anyone taking the Lava Line to PAX East)

Xiryc on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    They must hate fun.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2010
    They must hate fun.

With the burning rage of a thousand dieing suns.

Xiryc on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Xiryc wrote: »
    Yeah, it's too bad I can't get my Magic playing friends to go anywhere unless a Mox is on the line.

I'll be bringing We Didn't Playtest This At All and We Didn't Playtest This Either.

Also, since I'm a baker at the Lakewood Giant Eagle, expect something from there. Any requests? (This question is for anyone taking the Lava Line to PAX East)

Ha. You remember a girl named Sarah that used to work there a while back? Dated a guy named Pat. They lived upstairs at a friend of mine's house for a while.

Small world.

emajkut on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Just took a long-distance train ride myself.. was an enjoyable experience. Unfortunately, I am unable to travel by train :(. On the road again!

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Hey, wait a minute, that's my giant eagle... You know, I've never paid attention to what they have there other than bread.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Were there ever any deals done with Amtrak for discounts or anything? I really wouldn't mind getting a sleeper car for the two day trip from Seattle - Chicago, but $216 is a bit much...

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    Were there ever any deals done with Amtrak for discounts or anything? I really wouldn't mind getting a sleeper car for the two day trip from Seattle - Chicago, but $216 is a bit much...

Isn't that how much it is to fly? Hmmm... Sounds like a deal for a sleeper, cheaper if you split it.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It's not that bad of a deal, it's just that I don't exactly have a lot of money, though I wouldn't mind splitting one.

The trip itself is $197 from Seattle to Boston, + $216 for the room. That's close to what it costs to fly from Seattle to Boston, maybe a little bit more, but it's actually a lot cheaper to fly from Boston to Seattle, which is now how I'm getting back home... kinda strange but whatever.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    APacManAPacMan Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What line you will be on: Stone
    Name: Adam
    Boarding Stop: Philadelphia, 30th St. Station
    Ticket Purchased: Y - Boarding Time: 9:18am, looks like I missed the boat on this one.

APacMan on
    We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. -Robert Wilensky

Twitter: @APacManSays
  • Options
    DylzDylz Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    What line you will be on: Stone
    Name: Dylz
    Boarding Stop: Union Station, DC

Anyone planning on banging out some D&D on the Stone Line?

Dylz on
  • Options
    Tiny415Tiny415 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What line you will be on: Stone Line
    Name: David "Tiny" Whelan
    Boarding Stop: Wilmington DE

Definitely looking forward to this, though I am leaving my return date up to fate (so I can attend the Enforcer after party)

Tiny415 on
    PAX East 2010 Enforcer
    2010 Team SQUIRTLE Trainer
  • Options
    shrapnelshrapnel Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    The trip itself is $197 from Seattle to Boston, + $216 for the room.

That's a deal on the room. Chicago -> Boston rooms are $362 last I checked (though the train fare is half yours). Not sure why they'd be so much cheaper when you'd be using them 2x or 3x as much on the longer trip.

shrapnel on
  • Options
    bakasamabakasama Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What line you will be on: Orange
    Name: Baka, Emu
    Boarding Stop: Atlanta, GA

bakasama on
  • Options
    [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010
    Nice.

I've got cousins in Middleburg Hts, also my parents go to church there.

PAX East is bringing out all the local geeks.

Lake County REPRESENTIN' . Or something. :)

/Still driving, but hope to bump into other locals at the Con.

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png
  • Options
    [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2010

Not to besmirch the good name of GE, but my sister is a baker at the Lorain Heinen's, and those cakes are TASTY.

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Moe, the Spoiler under the Blue Line in the first post is missing... I wanted to see who I'll be riding with damnit! :P

BTW

What line you will be on: Blue
    Name: Brian (Coldbrew)
    Boarding Stop: EVerett
    Ticket Purchased: Y <---- purchased!

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    NivzeNivze Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    Looks like I'll be taking the Lava Line back on Monday too.

Nivze on
    SigFishing5-80.jpg
This discussion has been closed.