As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hotel Discussion Thread and Poll. ONLY WIRED Internet @ Shearton & Marriott!

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2010
    Don't drive into Boston if you can avoid it

If you can't/won't stay in a hotel near the convention center, take public transit or a taxi to get there.

Also, another reason to stay near the convention center is because that's where all the afterhours action is.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    matlock790matlock790 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thanks Moe. I wont be able to avoid it since I'm supposed to be working this trip as well, but I did finish reading the Bible thread and decided to stay at the Hilton BBB since they're the chain of choice for my employer.

matlock790 on
  • Options
    dardordardor Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Well then you'll be across the street from the convention xD

dardor on
    I'll take a potato chip and eat it!
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Im staying at the Colonnade, nicer rooms, free internet, and I've done some research and it also has a walkway that connects to the convention center, its $20 more a night though.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    A walkway? Awesome. The Colonnade does seem to be a nice choice.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited January 2010
    DIsregard my previous statement I looked it up on the map, only the sheraton is connected.... However the colonnade isnt far enough away to warrant irritation, that and theres a few eataries between it and the convention center, in the whole block and a half it takes to get there. The way I see it, thats more of a feature than being connected, because of yknow.... Breakfast.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Has anyone ever seen/stayed at the W hotel in Boston? It looks nice and close.

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • Options
    miscreantmiscreant Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    Just thought I'd throw this out there, you can get yourself a better deal for the Sheraton if you DON'T book through PAX. If you go here: http://specialoffers.starwoodhotels.com/sheratonboston/so.htm?iATANumber= there is a "Pay Your Birth Year" promotion. You pay full price for the first night, but then only the amount of your birth year (minus the 1900) for the following night. So the first night will be $189, but the following nights will be less than $100 per night.

miscreant on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    miscreant wrote: »
    Just thought I'd throw this out there, you can get yourself a better deal for the Sheraton if you DON'T book through PAX. If you go here: http://specialoffers.starwoodhotels.com/sheratonboston/so.htm?iATANumber= there is a "Pay Your Birth Year" promotion. You pay full price for the first night, but then only the amount of your birth year (minus the 1900) for the following night. So the first night will be $189, but the following nights will be less than $100 per night.

Sounds like a Fantastic deal.... I might have to pull some tricky numbers and move halfway through pax, since I plan on staying until the 30th/31st do everyone up until the 27th at one hotel, and the rest there.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

I tried this and got this message:
    "Your rate preference is unavailable on the dates you selected. The following choices are available. "

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Drdedalus wrote: »
    The Lenox Hotel (61 Exeter Street), just a few blocks from the convention center, still has rooms as of today (early Wednesday on the US East Coast). Better yet, there is a promo code from TravelZoo that allows you to get rooms for as low as $129 USD per night. The hotel is rated AAA 4 Diamond and #1 from TripAdvisor. I just booked for PAX East and nabbed one of these sweet deals for myself.
    The way I'm going on it makes it sound like I work for the hotel or a travel agency. I assure you (we're open) and I don't, but I thought this was too good of a deal to not pass on to the PAX massive.

how did you find that?!
    that is a sick sick price.

I Googled "lenox hotel discount codes" or "lenox hotel promo codes". I've had luck before hunting for codes on various traveller's forums or websites (TravelZoo, Flyertalk, RedFlagDeals for Canadianers like me). I always see the "Promo/Discount code" box when booking hotels online and figured that someone out there must post the codes...well, maybe not all the codes, but hopefully the ones I need.
    Hope this helps -- good luck!
    if you're still reading this, thank you for posting that.
    amazing amazing amazing 8-)

i'll definitely be checking out travelzoo from here on out.
    for hotels and the such.

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The Lenox Hotel (61 Exeter Street), just a few blocks from the convention center, still has rooms as of today (early Wednesday on the US East Coast). Better yet, there is a promo code from TravelZoo that allows you to get rooms for as low as $129 USD per night. The hotel is rated AAA 4 Diamond and #1 from TripAdvisor. I just booked for PAX East and nabbed one of these sweet deals for myself.
    The way I'm going on it makes it sound like I work for the hotel or a travel agency. I assure you (we're open) and I don't, but I thought this was too good of a deal to not pass on to the PAX massive.

how did you find that?!

I Googled "lenox hotel discount codes" or "lenox hotel promo codes". I've had luck before hunting for codes on various traveller's forums or websites (TravelZoo, Flyertalk, RedFlagDeals for Canadianers like me). I always see the "Promo/Discount code" box when booking hotels online and figured that someone out there must post the codes...well, maybe not all the codes, but hopefully the ones I need.

for hotels and the such.

Yea, I was trying to find the cheapest way to stay in town until the 31st, and I think this may be it.

I figure 3 days for the convention 2 full days to just explore.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    miscreantmiscreant Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    capnjack wrote: »

"Your rate preference is unavailable on the dates you selected. The following choices are available. "

Maybe try calling, that's what I did and they gave the rate to me. I did however book a more expensive room, so maybe it's not available for the cheaper rooms anymore. However, even with the more expensive room, I still paid about $100 less than I would have through PAX.

miscreant on
  • Options
    GHoooSTSGHoooSTS Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Going to be at the Sheraton. See y'all there.

GHoooSTS on
  • Options
    MisterPlisskenMisterPlissken Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just switched from the Colonnade to the Lenox. Reserve now and we'll geek up the joint! Got a sweet suite for ten bucks less a night than a regular room at the Colonnade.

MisterPlissken on
  • Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wow, looks like the party is moving to the Lenox :)

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You guys act like there's only going to be one party.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    capnjack wrote: »

Maybe try calling, that's what I did and they gave the rate to me. I did however book a more expensive room, so maybe it's not available for the cheaper rooms anymore. However, even with the more expensive room, I still paid about $100 less than I would have through PAX.

I just tried doing this. Very friendly woman on the phone told me she couldn't give me the rate, or any rate, because the Sheraton Boston is completely sold out for the weekend of PAX except for the rooms that are set aside for blocks. So at this point if you want to stay at the Sheraton you have to book through the PAX site.

Ironic we've found a better rate, but we can't use it because PAX has been proactive.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

There's a party everywhere maaaan, even inside my nostrils! Duuuude, it's siiiiick. (ba-da-boom--TING!)

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

I assumed it was one big 60,000 person party. :)

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I meant hotel party. People act like there's going to be one party in one hotel room in one hotel, and if they're not in the hotel, they're going to miss the only party.

In reality, there will be plenty of parties happening, both of the hotel and industry sponsored variety in various locations.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    MisterPlisskenMisterPlissken Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There are some crazy prices found at Oyster.com. There's the Colonnade and Hotel 140 for under $130 a night. I chose hotels in the back bay area. Click on a hotel and then, at the center of the hotel page, click "Check Rates".

The Sheraton @$122 a night for four or five nights ($162 for two or three)

MisterPlissken on
  • Options
    DrdedalusDrdedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

how did you find that?!

for hotels and the such.

Yea, I was trying to find the cheapest way to stay in town until the 31st, and I think this may be it.

I figure 3 days for the convention 2 full days to just explore.

No worries -- glad I could help. Seems like The Lenox will be full with PAXers.

I would also suggest that any folks leaving from Toronto should check Porter Airlines, as they often have great sale prices to flights to Boston (and elsewhere). Again, it sounds like I'm pimping for the airline, but I can assure you I'm not. I managed to get my flight to and from Boston for about 290 CAD round trip with a 30% off sale that happened between 26th-31st December. Obviously this deal is done but they seem to have seat sales at a fairly regular frequency...

Drdedalus on
    Now these points of data make a beautiful line,
    And we're out of beta, we're releasing on time.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I like the concept of Nerds taking over a 4 star hotel (The Lennox)

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    DwayneDaysDwayneDays __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Whats all this talk I read about the sheraton being full? My friends and I put a deposit down last weekend (the 9th?) and we got a confirmation and everything

Also are alot of people checking in thursday? Im pumped to get my room hopping drunk on

DwayneDays on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    DwayneDays.png
  • Options
    DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I would also suggest that any folks leaving from Toronto should check Porter Airlines, as they often have great sale prices to flights to Boston (and elsewhere). Again, it sounds like I'm pimping for the airline, but I can assure you I'm not. I managed to get my flight to and from Boston for about 290 CAD round trip with a 30% off sale that happened between 26th-31st December. Obviously this deal is done but they seem to have seat sales at a fairly regular frequency...

I'm flying in on Porter on the Thursday afternoon/evening. Coming in from Montreal -> Toronto -> Boston. You?

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Viper22Viper22 Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    I just booked the Sheraton yesterday through Hotwire for $105/night. If you do a search on the address of the convention center and put in your dates you should see one of the options listed as the following:

Back Bay - Copley Square Hotel with 3 1/2 stars.

Ameneties were listed as follows:

Smoke Free Rooms
    Fitness Center
    Pool(s)
    Restaurant(s)
    Business Center
    High-speed Internet Access
    "Bed Choice"

Those only match 2 hotels in that area (the Sheraton & Hilton). I ended up at the Sheraton when I booked it so you will also most likely. I searched for 2 adults to get that price - if you put in 3 or 4 adults the price goes up but I just booked it with 2 and will just have the other guys i'm going with meet us later.

Hope this helps some of you out with some cheap rooms!

Viper22 on
  • Options
    whosgeowhosgeo Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    just booked at the Howard Johnson at Fenway Park. not the greatest hotel, but after taxes and fees it ended up being 111.50 a night. it's .7 Miles from the convention hall, but if cheap is your idea, then this'll get it done. booked via expedia

whosgeo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I just swung a week at The Lenox for $1009 (up to $1400 If I need to increase the number of guests if people need a place to crash) it was a fantastic price and lits literally a block and half down the street.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just rebooked my room at the Sheraton (4 nights) for 250$ cheaper by going through gtahotels.com...

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KoalaKoala Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Me and my brother are at the Sheraton. Don't know the rate, wasn't too bad.

Koala on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Im sad that theres only 18 Others, it looks like I'll be lonely at The Lenox

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What's with the fluctuation of hotel room availability? One week it says all full, the next there's a whoppin' 50+ rooms available each day... was their like a hidden secret released about the hotel that no one should know about? Or are the hotels just releasing PAX discounted rooms at certain spurts? IT'S CRAZY MAN!

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    @ZeroHourHero, my vote is actually for the Sharaton, but now all of my group is staying at the Lenox so there's another 4 :)

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    AngryPuppyAngryPuppy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hey guys, quick question; with all the talk of room sharing and people kipping on floors I was just wondering if having extra folk in the room is kosher? I'm looking for a twin for the week leading up to pax but haven't booked yet as a pal will be joining us some time before the weekend and we haven't worked out what he's going to do. I have on the odd occasion snuck people into hotels over here but I don't particularly fancy taking chances with a friends over-nightly safety so far from home.

I'm thinking about going with the Sheraton via that gtahotels site mentioned above, can anyone offer advice?

AngryPuppy on
    PSN: AngryPuppyEsq
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Someone posted a good guide on how to over-occupy a hotel room without getting caught, which is what I had my group follow last year (can't find it, but the basic tenants were "don't ask for too many keys", "hide extra bedding that you brought" and "don't rely on 'No Room Service' to save you from doing the former"). I had 6 people in my room (got a little bit crowded, but I appreciated the less money I had to pay) and we had nary a problem, even with room service showing up.

edit: Found the post

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Where should those of us staying at the Sheraton park?

Is there somewhere cheap I can put the car (cheap by city standards) after I drop off the bags?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, a huge proportion of people staying in hotels have them over occupied. It's kind of a standard thing now.

Wormdundee on
  • Options
    xibalbaxibalba Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Booked the Sheraton can't wait!

xibalba on
  • Options
    LethardicusLethardicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    just booked at the sheraton, surprised that theres hotels left! normally anime boston hotels would be gone by now...

Lethardicus on
This discussion has been closed.