Options

Champions Online - Men in Tights (and Furries, Oh God the Furries)

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    EnergenoEnergeno Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kay wrote: »

The only thing I have some idea about there is that you may not want to invest into presence very heavily just yet with an ice guy. The aggro mechanic and how stats affect it seems somewhat hosed currently.

Energeno on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

If your going to make an Ice/Fire mix, might want to switch Ice shards with Throw Fire Instead, which is much better.

Can't really think of a good hold that would fit your theme though...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Bad news on the aggro mechanics, I guess. I was looking at Presence to help limit my aggro, and buff the heal from Drain Life mainly. I'm working more on Ego right now though, with Dex/End as my superstats.

The hold's being a bit annoying, yeah. I may just end up going with Heat Wave, or even just Condemn. Then again, the Electricity hold could be just fine, too. You get all kinds of weird effects out of SCIENCE.

Thanks for the input! I'm wondering how viable Flashfires + Thermal Reverberation is. Did they remove the Absorb Heat advantage that let you use Thermal Reverb as a click to snuff out all instances of Clinging Flames and heal a bit for each of the debuffs removed?

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Bad news on the aggro mechanics, I guess. I was looking at Presence to help limit my aggro, and buff the heal from Drain Life mainly. I'm working more on Ego right now though, with Dex/End as my superstats.

The hold's being a bit annoying, yeah. I may just end up going with Heat Wave, or even just Condemn. Then again, the Electricity hold could be just fine, too. You get all kinds of weird effects out of SCIENCE.

Thanks for the input! I'm wondering how viable Flashfires + Thermal Reverberation is. Did they remove the Absorb Heat advantage that let you use Thermal Reverb as a click to snuff out all instances of Clinging Flames and heal a bit for each of the debuffs removed?

I use Electrucute Myself. Probably be better if I had more than just Gigabolt as my one other Electric power, but considering how long that hold can last...

I think they did remove the heal click/advatage part of Thermal Reverberation though.

Oh, and all blocks (except Electric Block) have 250% damage resist bonus, compared to standard Block's 200%. Electric is less for physical damage, 250% for everything else, but does damage to anyone in melee range.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OronisOronis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This is my current build

Build by championBuilder 0.3.2

Download this Build here.

Oronis: Level 40 Champion

Superstats:
    Level 5: Super Intelligence
    Level 13: Super Constitution

Powers:
    Level 1: Force Bolts -- Energy Refraction
    Level 1: Power Gauntlet -- Rank 2
    Level 5: Laser Sword -- Rank 2, Particle Acceleration
    Level 5: Jet Boots -- Rank 2, Rank 3
    Level 8: Energy Shield -- Laser Knight
    Level 11: Invulnerability -- Rank 2, Rank 3
    Level 14: Mini Gun -- Rank 2, Accelerated Metabolism, Teflon Coated Rounds
    Level 17: Resurgence -- Rank 2, Rank 3

Talents:
    Level 1: Technological Intuition
    Level 6: Brilliant
    Level 9: Healthy Mind
    Level 12: Enduring
    Level 15: Investigator
    Level 18: Boundless Reserves

I'm trying to debate what to get at 20. I am thinking either a hold or a 2nd heal or another defensive ability.

Contestants are

Electrocute or Ice Cage for holds
    Bionic Shielding or Bountiful Chi Resurgence for heals
    for defenses I was looking at Unbreakable, one of the sorc auras if they function without being slotted, or supernatural power.

My fighting style is to pretty much mow down minions with minigun, mop they up with quick power gauntlet attacks. Then for villains and above I generally either blow them down with a combo of minigun+power gauntlet or I run up on them and laser sword spamming them down. Obviously I block when needed or if I need to build energy vs high damage targets.

My core framework is Power Armor but its not my focus, thematically I feel I can make most powers fit except for the PSI ones really.

Opinions?

Oronis on
    CoX: @Robotjustice
    XLive: Oronis
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, PvP. I loves it more than PvE.

Will I enjoy this game?

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    CmdPrompt wrote: »
    So, PvP. I loves it more than PvE.

Will I enjoy this game?

PvP is a fun distraction at this point, but the game's focus is PvE. PvP is unbalanced and will likely remain as such for some time to come. If you enjoy scouting out what the current FOTM builds are and either using them yourself or don't mind having to deal with their unbalancing abilities, you'll do fine.

Just don't go in looking for anything other than chaos in a bottle

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    weenusweenus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I haven't done too much research into this and I think I remember hearing about it but I'm assuming there will eventually be a Villains expansion. Have they confirmed that and is there a time frame?

weenus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hooraydiation wrote: And I don't care how distraught you are. It's just impolite to shoot yourself when someone has their dick inside you.
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    weenus wrote: »
    I haven't done too much research into this and I think I remember hearing about it but I'm assuming there will eventually be a Villains expansion. Have they confirmed that and is there a time frame?

No and no.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    PvP is fun, if hilariously unbalanced and chaotic.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

No and no.

Though to be honest, I don't think they need one. Half the guys already look like villains and many act like them too.

*grumble* stealing crafting resources while you're fighting the mobs to clear it out *grumble* *grumble*

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited September 2009

No and no.

Though to be honest, I don't think they need one. Half the guys already look like villains and many act like them too.

*grumble* stealing crafting resources while you're fighting the mobs to clear it out *grumble* *grumble*

And then there is the problem of trying to make a villain feel like he's being proactive, and not simply running a bunch of missions given to him like the heroes are.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TagTag Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hrm, for all you might people out there, how does the skill Enrage work? I assume its something separate from normal enrages as it can stack (and I'm pretty sure normal enrage can't, but anyone know), but do normal enrages add a counter to it? Also how big is the str. modifier? Already stretched too thin in stats for my concept to add more than token str.

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You know what would be nice? If they just disabled travel powers in pvp.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GreenleafGreenleaf Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm kind of on the fence if I want to keep playing this or not.
    Might just go back to WoW at the end of the free month.

Greenleaf on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sonelan wrote: »
    You know what would be nice? If they just disabled travel powers in pvp.

That would be nice for a very small minority.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'll just grin like an idiot when the Teleport PvP nerf comes.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So will I.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'll just grin like an idiot when the Teleport PvP nerf comes.

Won't be much of a nerf if they get rid of perma-holds at the same time.

Won't feel like one, either. Teleport doesn't do anything against the FotM holds.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I will be happy when they make it so there is an actual penalty for using TP in combat.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I will be happy when they make it so there is an actual penalty for using TP in combat.

...Why?

Do you want to penalize people for using the direction buttons for anything but turning around?

Are you using the world's worst melee build or something?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    TagTag Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Bleh I can't get the FPS mode to show the selection box around the autotarget. Or to be specific, I can get it to do it with boxes, but nothing else. (To clarify, when I point the center of the camera at something I want the box with the name and health to pop up, as in the video in the OP. This is only happening with boxes at the moment and I can't for the life of me figure out why.)

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »

...Why?

Do you want to penalize people for using the direction buttons for anything but turning around?

Are you using the world's worst melee build or something?

Everyother power has a penalty for using it in combat. Usually by lowering the speed/distance you can travel. TP? There is none right now because of a pve bug. You can constantly teleport while in combat with no repercussions at all.

There used to be a cooldown timer for using it while in combat. It was 10 or 15 seconds. Which made it a nice OH SHIT! escape power not the "lol you can't catch me" power it is currently.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Do you use TP?

Because I do.

And while it is being worked on, I assure you, the timer does exist.

If you're upset that, once you're out of combat, you can TP freely, I hope you expect us to get half-acrobatic speed or something to compensate for being massively kitable.

Hell, the timer even kills ALL OTHER TRAVEL POWERS.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Do you use TP?

Because I do.

And while it is being worked on, I assure you, the timer does exist.

If you're upset that, once you're out of combat, you can TP freely, I hope you expect us to get half-acrobatic speed or something to compensate for being massively kitable.

Hell, the timer even kills ALL OTHER TRAVEL POWERS.

I do infact use TP. The timer isn't based on being in combat. Its based on you attacking someone. And even then its only for 10 seconds from when you first do it after that it doesn't go back on it til you switch targets. So the timer in effect does absolutely nothing if you are say being chased and attacked cause you can just teleport right away again unless you leave autoattack on or something.

Note: My complaint is pvp oriented. The hold fix might help some but it still doesn't help with them being able to constantly teleport once they start and there being no one to get them out of it. There used to be a cooldown on it being applied once used in combat for a reason. They got rid of it because it was applying the cooldown when it wasn't supposed to and fucking up pve. Which is fine but doesn't change the fact its broken in pvp.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Can anyone with access to the test server say whether or not TK Shield got changed? I know Ebon shield got its resistance bonus reduced, but there was nothing in the patch notes about TK.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Which is fine but doesn't change the fact its broken in pvp.
    I've killed plenty of teleporters and been killed plenty of times. In the UTC, kill the tp'ers team mates and win the match. While they're teleporting around, they're not attacking or doing any damage. Meaning you outnumber the other team 5 to 4. Focus fire and bring the tp'ers team mates down.

In BASH, well... don't play BASH. It's stupid anyway. I haven't played Sronghold yet.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    TP was changed to a cooldown on attack because spawning Nemisis minions force you into combat, which would a cooldown on the old TP method...

and since most TPers are high above the ground when they are TPing...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

As someone who's been a stereotypical PvP Teleport cheeseball, I have to agree, at least now that it seems like chain-hold spam is being fixed.

I do think that being unable to heal or pick up orbs while in teleport wisp mode is the best balance suggestion.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    using TP for easy health regen is the cheesiest thing ever

I mean technically its supposed to be instantaneous teleporting, why would you regenerate any health in that time or pick up orbs along the way

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    ok, so, my lvl 9 fire mage destroys teleporters.

rain of fire + remove all travel powers advantage = made of so much win

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    also making fliers take fall dmg is also made of win sauce

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    eatmosushi wrote: »

best way to kill one

if I had any travel power removing powers

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ok, so, my lvl 9 fire mage destroys teleporters.

rain of fire + remove all travel powers advantage = made of so much win

Yes, but people would rather cry for nerfs rather than look to existing solutions (Which I myself have mentioned many times before).

This game was not designed with PvP in mind, that should be obvious to anyone. Balancing the game for PvP is only going to end in tears.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Wren wrote: »

best way to kill one

if I had any travel power removing powers

You do, it's called "pick up a barrel/crate/semi and throw it at the asshole."

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    but I'm usually too far up in the sky to pick anything up

(flying is the best thing)

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm really liking this game and I was playing around with the Champion Builder to get a feeling on what's available and not just picking shit at random. I'm level 14 now and I picked up Lead Tempest. Holy shit does that rock. But this is my idea of a spec for my Munitions guy.
    Build by championBuilder 0.3.2

Download this Build here.

justin: Level 40 Champion

Superstats:
    Level 5: Super Dexterity
    Level 13: Super Ego

Powers:
    Level 1: Gunslinger
    Level 1: Two-Gun Mojo -- Rank 2, Accelerated Metabolism, Rank 3
    Level 5: Killer Instinct
    Level 5: Jet Boots -- Rank 2, Rank 3
    Level 8: Shotgun Blast -- Breaching Round
    Level 11: Lock And Load
    Level 14: Lead Tempest -- Rank 2, Rank 3, Accelerated Metabolism
    Level 17: Sneak -- Silent Running, Rank 2, Rank 3
    Level 20: Smoke Bomb -- Concussive Escapes, Rank 2
    Level 23: Sniper Rifle -- Tungsten Rounds, Rank 2
    Level 26: Breakaway Shot
    Level 29: Bullet Ballet
    Level 32: Frag Grenade -- Incendiary Grenade, Rank 2, Accelerated Metabolism
    Level 35: Bountiful Chi Resurgence -- Resurgent Reiki
    Level 35: Teleport -- Rank 2, Rank 3
    Level 38: Mini Mines

Talents:
    Level 1: Quick Trigger
    Level 6: Sniper Training
    Level 9: Acrobat
    Level 12: Shooter
    Level 15: Survival Training
    Level 18: Field Ops Training
    Level 21: Jack Of All Trades

Also.

screenshot_2009-09-20-10-40-51.jpg

Action Shot! I picked up Gatling Pistols at the haunted old west town in the Desert. They sounded awesome and a huge upgrade from my crafted Flintlock Pistols. Sadly I replaced them a mission later with an even better set of guns, but not nearly as cool.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, Am I supposed to be using power replacements? I've been picking the shit with +dex or ego and vendoring/researching the rest.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Pretty sure that the power-replace items unlock the new model at the tailor for you to use on your usual costume.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
This discussion has been closed.