Options

Champions Online - Men in Tights (and Furries, Oh God the Furries)

• Options
    TagTag Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Dagon wrote: »
    Lawndart wrote: »
    So, in yet another example of my raging alt-itis, I blatantly ripped off...er...um...was inspired by a costume design I saw in the Something Awful CO thread to make my first Power Armor character:
    Darwin's Revenge:
    DarwinsRevenge.jpg

Character concept: A little super-intelligent hyper-evolved frog designs a giant robot suit so he can blow shit up. And have opposable thumbs.

That is pretty great.

Its like Earthworm Jim! But with frogs!

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Now I want to make either a kitty or a rat version of that...

Glal on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    And we're up.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    AgahnimAgahnim Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    TheScruple wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a ranged AoE power to take with Sorcery? I took Skarn's Bane, which does decent damage provided the targets are preoccupied, but I need a little more oomph.

I'm looking at Fireball, Condemn, Lightning Strike, or Ebon Rift. Any suggestions/comparisons among these?

They've doubled the endurance cost of Skarn's Bane on test (they say they've made it un-interruptable but it's still getting interrupted) so you may want to be careful with that.

Condemn does pretty weak damage and is best used as a hold, so I'd skip on that. I don't have any experience with Ebon Rift or Lightning Strike, but I know fireball is pretty fun and does some nice damage. Gonna pick it up next time I get the chance.

Agahnim on
    2.jpg
    3DS FC: 2148-8300-8608 WiiU: AgahnimD
  • Options
    A3gisA3gis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    couldn't resist making a PA character - Carl from Automata :)

(just a shame I couldn't find how to do a closed trenchcoat without it looking like a dress) :/

carl.jpg

A3gis on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tag wrote: »
    The Dagon wrote: »
    So, in yet another example of my raging alt-itis, I blatantly ripped off...er...um...was inspired by a costume design I saw in the Something Awful CO thread to make my first Power Armor character:
    Darwin's Revenge:
    DarwinsRevenge.jpg

Character concept: A little super-intelligent hyper-evolved frog designs a giant robot suit so he can blow shit up. And have opposable thumbs.

That is pretty great.

Its like Earthworm Jim! But with frogs!

Neat, how'd you manage to get the head that small? I've tried doing something similar but I can't shrink the head that much and still make it look like a head.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Invisible wrote: »
    pantsy wrote: »
    I haven't heard anyone talking about Single Blade. Is it that bad?

It's not so much that it's bad, it's just dual blades is so much better. It's pretty rare you fight a single enemy and Dual Blades has pretty much the same type of abilities only they're AOE.

Really it's a problem with several powersets. Kinetics for example is pretty much all single target damage and its AOE attacks all have fairly lengthy cooldowns (and they're really not that good to require a cd). At least an option to make some attacks AOE in the upgrades would be nice.

Honestly the kinetics as a whole needs to be looked at. Like half of my upgrade options are "gives you Ego Form" but that kind of blows if you took the Ego Form passive. Oh and my one close AOE attack that has a CD of 6 seconds has an upgrade of "roots the enemy for 1 second", oh ok thanks.

Though the Ego Annihilation upgrade is pretty sweet.

Same type, not the same effect. I've got both and single blade has been much nicer. The single blade attacks do about 50% higher base damage. It makes fighting supervillians easier, and with packs I just slap a bleed on each one, then slash them a few times to finish them off.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, something in the last week or two totally ruined my chat colors and I was wondering if there's a work around. Basically, chat used to look like:

[Penny Arcade] The Artificer@Voro: I am so awesome

And now I can only get it to look like one of the following:

I'm looking through the official forums for info, but everything from the last two weeks...well, that's a lot of shit to wade through. Any ideas? Resetting all tabs and chat settings does nothing but nuke my tabs. I need different color for names in chat, otherwise I might as well just delete the chat window entirely. :?

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sonelan wrote: »
    I do infact use TP. The timer isn't based on being in combat. Its based on you attacking someone. And even then its only for 10 seconds from when you first do it after that it doesn't go back on it til you switch targets. So the timer in effect does absolutely nothing if you are say being chased and attacked cause you can just teleport right away again unless you leave autoattack on or something.

Note: My complaint is pvp oriented. The hold fix might help some but it still doesn't help with them being able to constantly teleport once they start and there being no one to get them out of it. There used to be a cooldown on it being applied once used in combat for a reason. They got rid of it because it was applying the cooldown when it wasn't supposed to and fucking up pve. Which is fine but doesn't change the fact its broken in pvp.

You want TP to be 100% unchainable in PVP maps?

Because this would make it a not-travel power.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    HarlonHarlon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    We need a PA SG that doesn't revolve around munitions. I like the Joe and 40k ideas, but my main is munitions and I don't want to play another one. How about PA characters or a FF5 / 8 bit SG?

Harlon on
    3DS FC 1048-9228-8841
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Harlon wrote: »
    We need a PA SG that doesn't revolve around munitions. I like the Joe and 40k ideas, but my main is munitions and I don't want to play another one. How about PA characters or a FF5 / 8 bit SG?

Someone needs to make some Mario Bros. homages.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I do infact use TP. The timer isn't based on being in combat. Its based on you attacking someone. And even then its only for 10 seconds from when you first do it after that it doesn't go back on it til you switch targets. So the timer in effect does absolutely nothing if you are say being chased and attacked cause you can just teleport right away again unless you leave autoattack on or something.

Note: My complaint is pvp oriented. The hold fix might help some but it still doesn't help with them being able to constantly teleport once they start and there being no one to get them out of it. There used to be a cooldown on it being applied once used in combat for a reason. They got rid of it because it was applying the cooldown when it wasn't supposed to and fucking up pve. Which is fine but doesn't change the fact its broken in pvp.

You want TP to be 100% unchainable in PVP maps?

Because this would make it a not-travel power.

It should be chainable if you're not in combat. If you are in combat, and TP to escape, you should get a 10 second cooldown starting from when you pop back in. You know, like how it used to be.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Define "In-Combat"

Ideally in a way that allows you to actually use TP as a travel power like you can with flying, burrowing, etc.

The issue with being knocked out of the sky by mobs is also an issue if someone can just click 1 and send you into a death dive when you go after a flyer.

--

Also:

http://championsonline.ign.com/

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Hrm, I can't seem to easily find a cutoff date for that contest. I think I should submit Lumber Jack, but his costume could use a little more refinement.

Tag on
  • Options
    cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Voro wrote: »
    So, something in the last week or two totally ruined my chat colors and I was wondering if there's a work around. Basically, chat used to look like:

I'm looking through the official forums for info, but everything from the last two weeks...well, that's a lot of shit to wade through. Any ideas? Resetting all tabs and chat settings does nothing but nuke my tabs. I need different color for names in chat, otherwise I might as well just delete the chat window entirely. :?

It's something they changed in one of the UI updates. the name is the same color as the channel. Kinda makes it more easy to figure out what channel is talking it guess? I dunno, I don't really have a preference I guess.

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • Options
    edited September 2009

It's something they changed in one of the UI updates. the name is the same color as the channel. Kinda makes it more easy to figure out what channel is talking it guess? I dunno, I don't really have a preference I guess.

Yeah I liked the old way better, but I've learned to live with it :-/

Tag on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Define "In-Combat"

Ideally in a way that allows you to actually use TP as a travel power like you can with flying, burrowing, etc.

The issue with being knocked out of the sky by mobs is also an issue if someone can just click 1 and send you into a death dive when you go after a flyer.

--

Also:

By "In-Combat", I mean you're actively fighting stuff. Ideally, and I don't know how feasible this would be for the developers, it would mean you're attacking. You know how you get that cooldown if you attack immediately after emerging from teleport? Change it so that you get that same cooldown from attacking immediately before teleporting. I'd make it a five second delay.

Also, regarding the flying thing, I would have no problem with the floaty anti-splat effect lasting until the cooldown ends (if a cooldown is triggered, of course).

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Define "In-Combat"

--

Also:

By "In-Combat", I mean you're actively fighting stuff. Ideally, and I don't know how feasible this would be for the developers, it would mean you're attacking. You know how you get that cooldown if you attack immediately after emerging from teleport? Change it so that you get that same cooldown from attacking immediately before teleporting. I'd make it a five second delay.

Also, regarding the flying thing, I would have no problem with the floaty anti-splat effect lasting until the cooldown ends (if a cooldown is triggered, of course).

In-Combat should mean either you are attacking something or something is attacking you.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Define "In-Combat"

--

Also:

In-Combat should mean either you are attacking something or something is attacking you.

This would mean that anyone hitting you with the slightest 1-HP damage attack would send you plummeting to your doom. Not an ideal result.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Define "In-Combat"

--

Also:

This would mean that anyone hitting you with the slightest 1-HP damage attack would send you plummeting to your doom. Not an ideal result.

Why? Don't you get the floating buff? Thats one aspect of TP I didn't test very much. Gun Shark did mostly pvp.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    If you're high enough the buff wears off before you hit. It helps, but its not a parachute. :P

EDIT: not to mentioning having to stop and fight every time you accidentally pop out close to a mob. No thank you.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    If you're high enough the buff wears off before you hit. It helps, but its not a parachute. :P

The way it used to be in pvp was you got the one free teleport and then once it ended it was on cooldown for 10-15 seconds. I see no reason why knowing it was on cooldown you would go high enough for it to wear off.

EDIT: Maybe you shouldn't be teleporting so close to mobs then?

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Granted as long as being attacked didn't REFRESH the cooldown it'd probably be ok.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Without a cooldown after being used in-combat, there is no way to pull someone out of teleport once they first activate it. The other option is to go the Crippling Challenge route and make the travel disablers more accessible and longer-lasting. Let folks perma-disable travel powers the same way they do with blocking.

Edit: I just realized the incredible maelstrom of whining that the second option would cause if (when) people started travel-disabling others, then knocking them into the t4 arena's lava.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Granted as long as being attacked didn't REFRESH the cooldown it'd probably be ok.

It never refreshed during combat. You just had 10 seconds where you can't use it then after that you could port again and if you were still in combat it would apply the cooldown after the port again. It made it an excellent ohshit button but not the huge cheesefest it is currently.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    malpracticemalpractice Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I realise that the travel powers in CO make having mounts unnecessary, but it would be all kinds of awesome if I could get a vehicle (motorcycle, ideally) to ride around. Like this. Or the non-copyrighted version of the Batmobile maybe. I could spend hours just driving around the city, fighting crime.

malpractice on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dartboy wrote: »
    Neat, how'd you manage to get the head that small? I've tried doing something similar but I can't shrink the head that much and still make it look like a head.

It's a combo if shrinking the head and neck all the way down and maxing everything else out. I'm not sure it'd look right with a human head, though.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Darwin's Revenge:
    DarwinsRevenge.jpg

Glorious! Also, this just showed up on my coworkers facebook:

10131_268715465555_660905555_8836009_2217509_n.jpg
    "The guy was named, Darwin's Revenge. hehe"

Akinos on
  • Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I realise that the travel powers in CO make having mounts unnecessary, but it would be all kinds of awesome if I could get a vehicle (motorcycle, ideally) to ride around. Like this. Or the non-copyrighted version of the Batmobile maybe. I could spend hours just driving around the city, fighting crime.

I too think 'mount' would be a great travel power, especially if you could pick different things like motorcycle, jet bike, pegasus, etc. But they don't even let you pick a different flight disk yet, so I'm not holding my breath...

MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Hrm is there a way to force a high quality screen shot? Mine all turn out terrible :-/ (And by that I mean, fine at my playable settings but look bad in a still shot).

Tag on
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tag wrote: »

Yeah I liked the old way better, but I've learned to live with it :-/

Ugh, god that is annoying. I've bugged it, bitched on the forums, and I'll re-bug it every patch where it isn't changed. This is horrendous. Thanks for the heads up though.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, the guys who designed, animated, and implemented Might are awesome. Its not the most efficient or fastest killing build I've played, but it makes me feel like a fucking badass.

Irradiates want their radiation? I give it to them, right in the face. Demon trying to terrorize the city? Punch him off a 30-story building. Taking on small armies of mobs barely getting scratched thanks to Def.Combo+Invulnerability and punching them so hard time and space itself seems to distort. I am a seemingly unstoppable force of muscle and destruction. Plus I've got my sweet new wrestling duds.

mikehaggara.th.jpg

Mike Haggar for Mayor, 2010. "Cleaning up Millennium City's streets. Personally if he has to."

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    How exactly does Might work? I tried it and it felt kinda weak.
    What powers are good?

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Aw man. I should have saved a picture of it. Entered a dude named Screamer into the IGN contest. The idea was a bronze-tinted Harpy/Siren guy who was formerly a metal singer until the "Harpy Curse" got ahold of him and gave him bird wings, bronze claws, and a voice that can weaken, stun, and shatter.

Sadly they only ask for a name and not concept details. But he is a badass rocker with a smug look and a lovely bronze and black theme.

You guys should vote for him when the time comes.

Vote for him HARD.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rizzi wrote: »
    How exactly does Might work? I tried it and it felt kinda weak.
    What powers are good?

Defensive Combo is really good, gives you a buff after the third hit that reduces damage taken (can be refreshed by doing the same thing).

Beatdown is nice because each hit has a chance to stun (unique upgrade lets it cause 50% more damage to rooted enemies). Which is a recurring theme in the later powers, either knockback or knockup which are great for stopping the enemy and they do increased damage vs mobs that are immune.

Roomsweeper is an AOE knockback punch that has a unique upgrade that lets it stun

Haymaker is a single target knockback that has a unique upgrade that lowers heals by 50%.

Uppercut is a single target knock up that has a unique upgrade that stuns the enemy if they try to charge a power after it is used.

Thunderclap is an AOE attack with a chance to hold targets and a unique upgrade that gives a chance to confuse targets.

Then there's Enrage which increases damage and can be stacked.

I love Might, I have it on my character Dr. Acula mixed with some Supernatural powers. Being able to work as crowd control as well as deal a lot of damage is great.

Invisible on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    So I think, at level 16, I can lodge my first real complaint about this game.

This game revolves around Constitution.

It's the No. 1 stat for all frameworks, regardless of what the screen says. I've really come to notice this since I'm pretty much stacking Dex/Ego with Const as the third option on my Munitions guy. I just don't have the HP to match up to the enemies of my level. I'm constantly getting rocked. If I have to fight anything more than group of 3 henchman or 1 henchman / 1 villian, I'm not gonna win.

Whenever I party with someone, they have tons more health than I do. I did Fight Club, a level 16 3 person quest last night. The level 14 in our party had 2300 hp, the level 19 had 2100 and at 15/16 (leveled mid mission) I had 1400. And I died like 7 times. Now, the level 14 was a retard who bull rushed everything and pulled half the room over and over, but I still shouldn't have died as many times as I did.

I'm not saying the game shoudln't be challenging, it should be. There should be a degree of difficulty to it. But it just seems so ridiculous that stacking your health seems to be the only way to survive anything.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I disagree. My Munitions guy finds a good offense the best defense. Mobs can't hurt you if you brutally gun them down with minigun first.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I also disagree. Sure, adding a bit more con never hurts, but you certainly don't need to stack it to survive. Pray tell, what abilities are you currently using? Specifically, what slotted passive you have picked, if any?

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My dex/ego munitions doesn't worry about con at all and I am coping just fine on him so far, level 20 now.

edit: a slotted passive defense as mentioned is probably a good idea if you don't have one, I use Lightning Reflexes. It can mitigate 40% of incoming damage or so. (Dodge x Avoidance)

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I think, at level 16, I can lodge my first real complaint about this game.

This game revolves around Constitution.

It's the No. 1 stat for all frameworks, regardless of what the screen says. I've really come to notice this since I'm pretty much stacking Dex/Ego with Const as the third option on my Munitions guy. I just don't have the HP to match up to the enemies of my level. I'm constantly getting rocked. If I have to fight anything more than group of 3 henchman or 1 henchman / 1 villian, I'm not gonna win.

Whenever I party with someone, they have tons more health than I do. I did Fight Club, a level 16 3 person quest last night. The level 14 in our party had 2300 hp, the level 19 had 2100 and at 15/16 (leveled mid mission) I had 1400. And I died like 7 times. Now, the level 14 was a retard who bull rushed everything and pulled half the room over and over, but I still shouldn't have died as many times as I did.

I'm not saying the game shoudln't be challenging, it should be. There should be a degree of difficulty to it. But it just seems so ridiculous that stacking your health seems to be the only way to survive anything.

I think your complaint is rather that certain Defensive passives are highly rewarded rather then Const being required. That same mission, Fight Club, I've soloed it on all my guys, at or below the recommended level. How? Either Invulnerable or Regeneration as a defensive passive. And of course tactical play as Fight Club can still be difficult. My Electric guy with Regen destroyed that place with ease. I took a Force character there with PFF and he didn't last long, I remade him with Invul and everyone in the club was crying as I annihilated them.

I can't imagine surviving long on tough group missions, even in a group, without either a defensive pass or a dedicated healer/bubbler.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
This discussion has been closed.