As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Champions Online - Men in Tights (and Furries, Oh God the Furries)

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You don't need to play 20 levels of shit to get it, so, no.

Glal on
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wren wrote: »
    I swear to god, if its a guaranteed closed beta spot a week before open starts, I'll be very upset
    Get your rage hat ready.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    You don't need to play 20 levels of shit to get it, so, no.

Fair enough...but besides the level requirement this is pretty close.

A vote for being able to make your own nemesis henchman.

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    TagTag Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Regen is for wimps except when used as a passive swap heal :P

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Options
    SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I always found arcane vitality to be great even with low or no real amount of presence.

Sonork on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    Speaking of CoX Stamina...is Regen for CO the new Stamina?

No. Defensive passives may be, at least for solo PvE, but I've seen more and more PvP builds using Offensive passives.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Someone mentioned Resurgence scaling with REC, but I think it scales with CON unless that's changed recently.

Also, being a stickler for theme I had never used Circle of Primal Dominion until I made a Sorc character last night. OMG. Why would anyone take any other circle, ever? The synergy for brokenness with Regen is obvious and inevitably will be nerfed so I can't decided if I should cheese it up while it lasts or take a different, possibly offensive, passive. Does Shadow form still boost Magic damage? I am considering making a Sorc/Ice combo so Ice form might be good too.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    it doesn't just sync with regen. it works well for any slot passive.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mordrack wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »
    I swear to god, if its a guaranteed closed beta spot a week before open starts, I'll be very upset
    Get your rage hat ready.

:evil:

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    can someone explain what's up with STO? I forgot to look at the page last night and I can't view it at work.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    GungHo wrote: »
    wanthony wrote: »
    So, just a quick question. Would you guys recommend buying this if I've just purchased Aion maybe 2 weeks ago? Is this worth the $40? I enjoyed CoX, so I'm assuming I'll enjoy this as well. How similar is it?
    Thanks for any help.
    If you're going to get it, get it for the PvE, not the PvP.

As far as comparisons to CoX, it's close. It has some quality of life improvements over CoX, such as the WoW-style ! and ? over quest-givers. There's a difference in activity level. You attack much more quickly.
    Oh yeah, that's one thing I always forget when thinking back to CoX. ChO has no downtime. And, consequently, no fucking Stamina.
    Yes and no. There is no Stamina power, but some of the powers you can pick will help you get energy back in mid-fight, beyond just the energy builder. e.g. I have Killer Instinct on my gun guy, and I get energy back on every crit. There are also powers in other powersets that do much the same thing (like in Fire, there's one where you get energy back if get Clinging Flames, and in Electricty if you get Charged... I have them both on my Fire/Elec toon and there is absolutely no point where she's huffing and puffing).
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    Speaking of CoX Stamina...is Regen for CO the new Stamina?
    No. Regen is the old Regen. (And Invulnerabilty is the old Invulnerability... if you're a CoX vet, you'll get my drift.)

GungHo on
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    can someone explain what's up with STO? I forgot to look at the page last night and I can't view it at work.
    Long story short, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    energy builder in the new stamina :D

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

website is down right now anyways

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    oh ok then. continue talking about the situation you all apperently know about but don't ever say what said situation is.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Is the Chill effect considered a hold for powers that have altered effects to held NPC's?

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I think no. I think there's no "resistance after it's done" for chill. same for snares.

i think hold and stun are on the same resist effect but give different buffs. like if you hold someone and cast a stun, you'll see two feet icons (resist icons) but while either are up you won't be able to hold or stun them. as opposed to if you cast two holds you'll see one foot icon with a 2 on it

root is on a seperate resist

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I think no. I think there's no "resistance after it's done" for chill. same for snares.

i think hold and stun are on the same resist effect but give different buffs. like if you hold someone and cast a stun, you'll see two feet icons (resist icons) but while either are up you won't be able to hold or stun them. as opposed to if you cast two holds you'll see one foot icon with a 2 on it

I don't think there's a way to resist Chill, period. And, like pretty much a bunch of other shit that should really have it, there are no diminishing returns.

Speaking of roots and snares and such, after a night of dueling I'm trying to find a decent root/snare/fuck your travel power ability. Ideally one that can somehow fit with a fire-themed concept, but at this point I'm not picky. Anyone have any advice?

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Lawndart wrote: »

I don't think there's a way to resist Chill, period. And, like pretty much a bunch of other shit that should really have it, there are no diminishing returns.

Speaking of roots and snares and such, after a night of dueling I'm trying to find a decent root/snare/fuck your travel power ability. Ideally one that can somehow fit with a fire-themed concept, but at this point I'm not picky. Anyone have any advice?

Except for Fire snakes, which is technically a pet, Fire has no holds and no hold powers to my knowledge use fire damage. So you'll have to either change your theme to "fire and ???" or take any old hold power you fancy and change the color to be red/orange and say it is something else. Something fiery.

Dr. Face on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Smoke grenade (kinda) or entangling mesh come to mind.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Smoke grenade (kinda) or entangling mesh come to mind.

Damnit, forgot smoke grenades. Though if you make them turn blue for energy drain it kinda breaks the theme.

Dr. Face on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Dr. Face wrote: »
    Except for Fire snakes, which is technically a pet, Fire has no holds and no hold powers to my knowledge use fire damage. So you'll have to either change your theme to "fire and ???" or take any old hold power you fancy and change the color to be red/orange and say it is something else. Something fiery.

Fire does have a hold (Heat Wave) but it comes near the end of a long-ass maintain. Which means that if someone runs out of range quickly enough they can avoid the hold and then I have to wait until Heat Wave cools down.

So what I want is a power that will root some poor fucker in PvP long enough for me to fire off Heat Wave and then unload the metric fuckton of area-specific damage Fire can do.

I tried Entangling Mesh and didn't see it having any effect on anyone, so I'm looking for something that actually works first and something I can plausibly re-color and explain away as being fire-related second. I may have to really warp the theme and use Ice Cage and say that they're caused by removing all the heat from the area and fuck me I feel cheesy about that already.

Edit: I have Smoke Grenade already, and while it's a lot of fun it's not what I'm looking for, since it does nothing to root or snare a target.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Dr. Face wrote: »

Fire does have a hold (Heat Wave) but it comes near the end of a long-ass maintain. Which means that if someone runs out of range quickly enough they can avoid the hold and then I have to wait until Heat Wave cools down.

So what I want is a power that will root some poor fucker in PvP long enough for me to fire off Heat Wave and then unload the metric fuckton of area-specific damage Fire can do.

I tried Entangling Mesh and didn't see it having any effect on anyone, so I'm looking for something that actually works first and something I can plausibly re-color and explain away as being fire-related second. I may have to really warp the theme and use Ice Cage and say that they're caused by removing all the heat from the area and fuck me I feel cheesy about that already.

Edit: I have Smoke Grenade already, and while it's a lot of fun it's not what I'm looking for, since it does nothing to root or snare a target.

What holds/snares are being used effectively against you or your teammates in PvP? I don't do it much (at all) anymore so I can't say what is actually effective in the current game. All I remember is Ice Wall and Taser Arrow pre-nerf.

Dr. Face on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    uh. in pvp. you don't really gotta worry about catching people. i can pull it off a little over half the time because heatwave is invisible, you just look like a moron with your hand sticking out. the tells for it is you standing still, and you notice fire icons under your healthbar

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tag wrote: »
    It appears MR is fixed on test server... that was balance issue #1 for PVP (and to an extent pve as well)

Besides the 1 shotting or coordinated 1 shotting? ;P
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    So, after some testing, I can say that Sigils of Arcane Runes+Shadow Embrace (with advantage) = hilarity.

Try it with minimines and fire/ice form too ^^

Do those forms work with Rune damage?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It appears MR is fixed on test server... that was balance issue #1 for PVP (and to an extent pve as well)

So, after some testing, I can say that Sigils of Arcane Runes+Shadow Embrace (with advantage) = hilarity.

99% sure. Electric form sure works with electric sigils. And I'm very confident I tested the mines too.

Tag on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

99% sure. Electric form sure works with electric sigils. And I'm very confident I tested the mines too.

I may have to ponder the use.

Are there any summons that use fire, other than the Fire Snake?

Because I've been planning on abusing the hell out of smoke grenade as well.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    True pets don't get the aura bonus. The sorc infernal pet will do fire damage, but its very small and I'm not even sure you can boost it with fireball despite it being dots.

Tag on
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've been trying to play the trial , and the game always starts tearing and then crashing while I attempt to make my character.. any ideas?

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    I've been trying to play the beta, and the game always starts tearing and then crashing while I attempt to make my character.. any ideas?

The beta...?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    STO maybe, but there is another thread for that and it's under NDA.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    I've been trying to play the beta, and the game always starts tearing and then crashing while I attempt to make my character.. any ideas?

The beta...?

I meant the trial, ugh.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
  • Options
    NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Have you tried updating graphics drivers and all the usual?

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    NATIK wrote: »
    Have you tried updating graphics drivers and all the usual?

Updated my drivers, reformatted.. that's about all I know how to do. :?

Toxin01 on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i really wish there was a rifle-based munitions EB

dual pistols are not appropriate for every gun using character

i want to make a soldier type dude who uses rifles and stuff but i really would rather not use the dual pistol powers, including gunslinger

(not to mention gunslinger is sorta shitty as EBs go)

i guess i am fine with my starting couple of powers being Martial Arts or something but i would still like a ranged EB to go with my ranged guy, you know?

but i don't want to give him like, fire blasts or something

so my options are: gunslinger, strafe, the gadgeteering blaster thingy, or wrist bolters

none of those are options that are appropriate to the character i want to make

Pony on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It'd be pretty cool if both guns and archery had two "trees." Like guns could be divided into rifles and pistols, with sniper rifle, rocket launcher, grenade, minigun, etc. rounding them out. Archery could be divided into "trick arrows" (like the current ones) and "quick shot arrows", basically a quick firing energy builder and other on the move attacks.

Invisible on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    archery could probably use more powers in general

it's the most anemic framework of all

it could also use not sucking

but i digress

even a single pistol attack would be a fine EB for munitions

i would just like it that not every character who uses guns is some kind of fucking grammaton cleric, thanks

Pony on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    archery could probably use more powers in general

it's the most anemic framework of all

it could also use not sucking

but i digress

even a single pistol attack would be a fine EB for munitions

i would just like it that not every character who uses guns is some kind of fucking grammaton cleric, thanks

New explosive arrow alone makes archery much better than, say, Claws.

Edit: Hehe, my joke build with these delayed procs was pretty well raping the battle room, even without the full load of powers or advantages.
    Build by championBuilder 0.4.1

Download this Build here.

: Level 40 Champion

Superstats:

Powers:
    Level 1: Throw Fire
    Level 1: Heat Wave -- Engulfing Flames, Rank 2
    Level 5: Thermal Reverberation
    Level 5: Teleport
    Level 8: Fireball -- Unstable Accelerant
    Level 11: Force Shield -- Rank 2, Rank 3, Force Sheath
    Level 14: Sigils Of Arcane Runes -- Rank 2, Rank 3
    Level 17: Ice Form -- Rank 2, Rank 3
    Level 20: Mini Mines -- Rank 2, Wall Of Fire
    Level 23: Shadow Embrace -- Fatal Allure
    Level 26: Explosive Arrow -- Where's The Kaboom?
    Level 29: Toxic Nanites -- Rank 2, Rank 3
    Level 32: Circle Of Primal Dominion
    Level 35: Regeneration
    Level 35: Tunneling

Talents:
    Level 1: Incandescent

Tag on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    welp looks like champions had a good run. they finally shut down the servers today. ah well. on to another game.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    whew. after a long hiatus, some company decided to pick up CO and start it up again. yay. and now the servers are back up. yay yay.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
This discussion has been closed.