As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Uncharted 2 : Seriously.

• Options
    YourFatAuntSusanYourFatAuntSusan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    someone add me and love me and hug me to death

psn name - nokinja

real life name, JESUS

YourFatAuntSusan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Darlan wrote: »
    How on earth do you do the part where you drag the journalist on Crushing? This last part seems literally impossible, or at least based entirely on luck. :?

I really haven't had much trouble up to this point (aside from mutliplayer), but goddamn this segment is broken.

Edit: aaand of course I beat it right after posting this. Still, I didn't really do anything different. just got got lucky.

That always happens to me. I'll struggle for a long time, post something and literally the try after that BAM I have it beat. It's apparently the posting that helps :P.

I had trouble in that area at one point too, but only died like 2 or 3 times. It was where you have to round the corner kind of oddly and into a ton of gunfire from a truck and from some people behind you. Seems kind of like you only have JUST enough health to make it through.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thanks for the game Carbon/adytum. If Carbon got on quicker we may have gotten another round before I had to give up the controller but I guess I can't complain too much since you carried us :P

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Thanks for the game Carbon/adytum. If Carbon got on quicker we may have gotten another round before I had to give up the controller but I guess I can't complain too much since you carried us :P

Yeah sorry about that EvilMonkey, went to make myself lunch, then got into a conversation with my roommate, then one online :P GG

And Congrats Adytum, we are now MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE, Back-To-Back style 8-)

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So what' the best way to play some multiplayer with you fellas? Just start adding PSN ids or what?

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So what' the best way to play some multiplayer with you fellas? Just start adding PSN ids or what?

Gotta join the PS3 Uncharted 2 chat if you want to get into the games. Just have to have someone with the link add you and invite you. I can probably do it if no one else has by the time I get on again.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    NegrodamusNegrodamus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Can someone send me a chat invite? I'm online now.

Negrodamus on
    XBL: P3rcyMiracl3s | PSN: gumby24
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well joining the chat is the easiest way, because it lets you see who's online around your time without having them on your friends list yet.

Carbon seems to be playing it the most right now, but yeah, getting into the chat (which sticks around, it's like a permanent IRC channel) is pretty much the way to go.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Wait, what ?
    I'm completely ignorant to PSN dealings.

Negrodamus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Negrodamus wrote: »
    Wait, what ?
    I'm completely ignorant to PSN dealings.

Here's a paste of what I wrote on page 31 when the chat was started:
    RDreamer wrote:
    Anyway, the way it works is this. Once a chatroom is made it's kind of a link. It doesn't stay "on" all the time, but whenever the first person (can be anyone with the link to it) joins it, it's remade and everyone can get back into it. Once you have the link to the chatroom it stays in your chatroom list.

And, you can keep it on in the background on the xmb and chat away in between rounds or whenever whatever game you have is paused. You can use the controller to type or put in any USB keyboard for more fastness. If you do need to get to your friends list, too, you can just back out. You don't leave the chatroom for doing it. It continues. Also, the PS3'll update you with what people are saying or who's joined.

It's really, REALLY awesome. We've been using it for the past week or so. Carbonfire, me, Elliotw2, Sugnar, InfinitePie, etc, have all been using it. It's great because you can send a quick instant message when the party's finished a game and is ready to invite you. You don't have to fiddle with the much slower messaging system.

So, in closing: USE THE CHAT!

Edit:
    Edit: Ah, I see now. So it shows up so long as you're in my friend list. Not bad

Actually that's another beauty. Once I've invited you (or anyone else that has a link to it), you don't have to keep me on your friends list. You still keep the link to the chatroom and can join. I know this for a fact because the other day me and Carbon were in the chat with someone else (I think Sugnar), and neither of us had him on our list, so we had to add in order to invite to Uncharted 2. But the point is, he kept the link and wasn't either of our friends.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I see. So it's only text-based chat?

Negrodamus on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Supposedly, cross game voice chat is coming soon

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, it's text chat. No idea why anyone would want voice based chat for something like this. Hearing everyone in the chatroom while you're supposed to be coordinating only with those in the game would just be awkward. This way you can type into the chat whenever you're on down time and keep the talking to the game.

But yeah supposedly some cross game voice chat is coming.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Spoit wrote: »
    Supposedly, cross game voice chat is coming soon

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I guess menu chat isn't an option either. I spent 10 minutes trying to voice chat with my friend in the XMB and it didn't seem to work.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, I'm on right now, and I'd love to play some co-op.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Done with my second playthrough (Crushing & treasure run). I think I'll go through it one more time to mess around with all the tweaks and get the miscellaneous weapon medals before trying out multi.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    SivrajSivraj Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, i finally beat the game.

That was amazing.

Sivraj on
    XBL - Degami | Steam - Degami | Battle.net - Degami #1837 | PSN - Degojin
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Something is glitching out. My friends list says Grinch is playing Uncharted, but the party-up screen says he's offline. Anyone else see this before?

EvilMonkey on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If I had money, I'd be getting this. It seems to address some of my (minor) complaints about the original Uncharted that kept me from buying it after I borrowed it.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Something is glitching out. My friends list says Grinch is playing Uncharted, but the party-up screen says he's offline. Anyone else see this before?

I was playing Single Player, maybe it was getting itself a bit confused. I've just stopped playing though to get some food :)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    If I had money, I'd be getting this. It seems to address some of my (minor) complaints about the original Uncharted that kept me from buying it after I borrowed it.

I'm actually hearing that it plays almost exactly the same, and how people aren't sure if this is a good or bad thing

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

I'm actually hearing that it plays almost exactly the same, and how people aren't sure if this is a good or bad thing

Where are you hearing that? It certainly isn't this thread.

Ketar on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

It does play a lot like Uncharted, but everything from the first game has been refined or changed to improve the experience. Enemies generally take fewer bullets to kill, gunplay has been refined, stealth and melee combat are much improved, voice acting and animations are even better than the first and there are fewer sections like the "water room" from the first one.

However if the combination of epic set pieces, free-climbing platforming and cover-based combat really doesn't do much for you, Uncharted 2 might not be your favorite game ever ;-)

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Only thing I disagree with Carbon about is melee but only because I miss the brutal combo and accidentally getting yourself in a grapple can prove irritating in the middle of a big fire fight.

Oh and stop running in to melee in MP! (I swear, I'm working on it :P)

EvilMonkey on
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    CarbonFire wrote: »

It does play a lot like Uncharted, but everything from the first game has been refined or changed to improve the experience. Enemies generally take fewer bullets to kill, gunplay has been refined, stealth and melee combat are much improved, voice acting and animations are even better than the first and there are fewer sections like the "water room" from the first one.

However if the combination of epic set pieces, free-climbing platforming and cover-based combat really doesn't do much for you, Uncharted 2 might not be your favorite game ever ;-)

So wait, they didn't make this one a turn-based RTS?

LAME.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Only thing I disagree with Carbon about is melee but only because I miss the brutal combo and accidentally getting yourself in a grapple can prove irritating in the middle of a big fire fight.

Oh and stop running in to melee in MP! (I swear, I'm working on it :P)

The brutal combo was pretty boss, but once I got used to the new system, I actually don't mind it. I'd say it's just different...not better or worse.

Haha yeah, melee in multiplayer (both competitive and coop) can be a double edged sword. I know the lure of the neck-snap is just too strong sometimes ;-)

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

There have been very minor changes made to the core gameplay and yeah, they play very similar. But there are moments, sequences and set-pieces in this that are far beyond the original's scope.

I thought the first Uncharted was good, not great. Solid gameplay, good characters, decent story. Basically, greater than the sum of its parts. The same things hold true for the second: the story is predictable, the puzzles aren't clever and the combat isn't particularly addictive; but Naughty Dog has managed to craft some of the most exhilarating sequences I've ever played in an action game, which, for me, just put the game in a whole different league than the first one.

Also, the character interactions and voice work are even better than in U1, and that's saying something.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

There have been very minor changes made to the core gameplay and yeah, they play very similar. But there are moments, sequences and set-pieces in this that are far beyond the original's scope.

I thought the first Uncharted was good, not great. Solid gameplay, good characters, decent story. Basically, greater than the sum of its parts. The same things hold true for the second: the story is predictable, the puzzles aren't clever and the combat isn't particularly addictive; but Naughty Dog has managed to craft some of the most exhilarating sequences I've ever played in an action game, which, for me, just put the game in a whole different league than the first one.

Also, the character interactions and voice work are even better than in U1, and that's saying something.

I didn't pick up the original Uncharted because, after borrowing it from a friend, I found that the gameplay seemed to really heavily rely on elements in other games I had just played, except, since it spread itself thinner, were not as good.

Some refinement, which is what I've heard the sequel provides, definitely would help. That's what sequels are, though, chances to improve on mechanics.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Still have 6 codes to give out because people haven't messaged me on PSN. Way too lazy to keep up with this thread. These are for Navarro skin. Only work on the US copy of the game. Or through US PSN.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    JAEF wrote: »
    Still have 6 codes to give out because people haven't messaged me on PSN. Way too lazy to keep up with this thread. These are for Navarro skin. Only work on the US copy of the game. Or through US PSN.

edit: Arrgh, why don't I read?

PSN is JohnDarc, if you're feeling generous. I'm not really up to turning it on, as I should be doing homework, but I do want to make you aware of my desire for some code.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    JAEF wrote: »

Sent a request through PSN. Under the name AlbertBOMB

Algertman on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Also was playing against a team in sniper/pistole match where we were up 15-0 and everyone except one guy dropped the from the opposing team. Most points I ever got with a little over 10K

Algertman on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Got to the final boss on the weekend, and had to call it quits because, damn, this game is relentless in the action it throws at you in the end game.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bah. Still haven't beaten a team arena match. Had a really good game earlier today with two level 20-somethings, all covering each other's backs and whatnot (racked up God knows how many Let 'Em Gos) but then we went to pieces on round 10 and the last guy left couldn't handle six minigunners, surprisingly enough. The multiplayer on this is definitely one of the biggest surprises of the year; such a shame Naughty Dog have said they most likely won't add any more co-op stages.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    Moose BannerMoose Banner Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    This game is amazing. friend me on psn to play: moose_banner

Moose Banner on
    Crooked was the path and brazen was the walk.
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hey Uncharted, I wanted to pop in and say you're a really great game and all.

But I've met another game and I'm sorry, but I don't think we can just do anything together for the forseeable future. I um, have doods to shoot with my gun that makes lightning. I'll totally call you later though.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »

But I've met another game and I'm sorry, but I don't think we can just do anything together for the forseeable future. I um, have doods to shoot with my gun that makes lightning. I'll totally call you later though.

Burn this heretic

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »

Burn this heretic

I have to admit, Borderlands is pretty great. But I'm finishing UC2 before really digging into that.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I thought he was talking about Brutal Legend. :-P

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    That's a guitar that makes lightning. Borderlands has guns that do it.

-Loki- on
This discussion has been closed.