As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SW:TOR] Sarlacc announced as latest playable race!

• parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah they were up for like 5 minutes before the crash.

parabola on
  • EQDuffyEQDuffy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Anhø Han. That's a terrible name.

I prefer this one:

First 3 Letters of Last name

First 2 Letters of First name

First 2 Letters of Mother’s maiden name

First 3 Letters of Birthplace (city or town)

Hanan Niesb. Yeaarh

So much better.

OP - Scbe Bro
    This - Brosc Dalub

They both kind of suck, but the second is tons better.

EQDuffy on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    jdarksun wrote: »
    What the fuck is a Noble/Diplomat going to do in a combat game? Wave a lanyard at someone and gloat "Diplomatic Immunity!"?
    Same thing they do in the tabletop game? Grant group buffs and enemy debuffs?

First of all, never bring up the table top game. Nerd.

Second of all, how exactly is that going to help in solo play? We haven't even seen a hint of group play, so how is a class that casts buffs and debuffs going to kill anyone?

217538498_EsBQx-L-2.jpg

Javen on
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    They usually require that you submit a DXDiag report with your application, so I think signing up via iPhone will be unlikely.

What and how do I run one of these on my computer? Is it something I will have to let their site run?

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • douglydougly Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What the fuck is a Noble/Diplomat going to do in a combat game? Wave a lanyard at someone and gloat "Diplomatic Immunity!"?

Second of all, how exactly is that going to help in solo play? We haven't even seen a hint of group play, so how is a class that casts buffs and debuffs going to kill anyone?

I'm not quite sure this is a good medium to make fun of tabletop nerds. That said:

Support classes support. There are examples of them in every MMO and quite a few other genres.

dougly on
    puffin.png
  • douglydougly Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    They usually require that you submit a DXDiag report with your application, so I think signing up via iPhone will be unlikely.

What and how do I run one of these on my computer? Is it something I will have to let their site run?

http://www.updatexp.com/directx-diagnostic-tool.html

Something like this. They'll either have a tool to help you automate it or have you save off/upload a report.

dougly on
    puffin.png
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Aww man, figures they'd start the closed beta signups on one of the two days of the week I'm in class from 8AM to 7PM EST.

How do these things typically work? Do they take the first X people and then close them, thereby granting access to those with the best/fastest connection/typing abilities? Or do they accept a slew of applications and then distribute betas such that they get a wide array of different computer types? Or is it something else entirely?

Terrendos on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    Every developer has their own criteria for who to pick for beta tests.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Most places will have signups a while before the beta is actually open for business. Some have small questionaires: "Do you have any experience in other betas, which games and how long" things like that. Some are just leaving your email and if you get one, awesome.

Javen on
    edited September 2009
    I see. Well at least that's a little comforting. Plus I have a pretty unusual computer setup so if they consider that sort of thing it ought to help my chances.

My tiny, tiny chances might be slightly increased.

Terrendos on
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would like to know how many people sign up. I'm curious about how it compares to subscriptions for other MMOs. I wonder if we're looking at a few thousand looking to get in or like 10 thousand. Don't some MMO's only have like 100k subs?

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    I am willing to bet they are only going to want a few thousand for the early beta.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I am willing to bet they are only going to want a few thousand for the early beta.

If I was a beta tester, it would be like winning the lottery.

Doctorstrongbad on
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Nerd implies social awkwardness. I am a geek, sir.

"Solo play"? F that. This is an MMO. The second M is "multiplayer". Grouping should be mandatory.

Have you been paying any attention at all to what Bioware's been saying about the game so far?

UnbrokenEva on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Mandatory grouping is pretty much the worst thing any MMO developer has ever thought up. It simply makes the game tedious and unwieldy when you can't find someone who wants to run the exact same content as you. MMO doesn't have to mean "must rely on others to advance".

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    its not mandatory, but it makes it easier

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Real pros manage to solo everything.

Including raids.

or simply rolling the most OP class

Alegis on
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    While I do like the idea of cooperation, sometimes it just falls flat. Case in point DDO, maybe its just due to the influx of people due to recently becoming F2P, but about 80% of PUGs aren't even worth grouping with. I'm talking about some real life Leroy Jenkins type shit.

If grouping were as mandatory in SWTOR as it is in that game, I wouldn't even bother playing. And you know we're going to get a bunch of An4kin 1337walkers just due to the immense popularity of the franchise. Ideally I'd like to see duos or at the most trio's required to do a majority of the game. I do have hope though since there really is no trinity system that can be seen off hand.

Simpsonia on
  • grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would like to know how many people sign up. I'm curious about how it compares to subscriptions for other MMOs. I wonder if we're looking at a few thousand looking to get in or like 10 thousand. Don't some MMO's only have like 100k subs?

Try hundreds of thousands. Mythic used to have a beta signup counter on the Warhammer site. They had something like 700k signups. I imagine this game will have even more.

grrarg on
  • GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, but those are signups, not the number that actually get into the beta. :(

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
    edited September 2009
    Those interested in signing up for the closed beta might want to keep checking the site. I managed to get in to create an account about half an hour ago but it went back down before I could get the system scan to run.

Terrendos on
  • PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hmm

Mida Coo

Coomi Micar

Or more likely xxP3lla30nxx

Pellaeon on
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    grrarg wrote: »

Try hundreds of thousands. Mythic used to have a beta signup counter on the Warhammer site. They had something like 700k signups. I imagine this game will have even more.

Who knows how close that number is to accurate. I'm sure people sign up using multiple accounts in an attempt to increase their chances of getting it.

What makes you think that TOR will see more interest than WAR anyhow? I'm not disagreeing with you, I just don't really feel like I could say either way.

exis on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    exis wrote: »

Who knows how close that number is to accurate. I'm sure people sign up using multiple accounts in an attempt to increase their chances of getting it.

What makes you think that TOR will see more interest than WAR anyhow? I'm not disagreeing with you, I just don't really feel like I could say either way.

Take the average person on the street, or even the average geek, and ask how many of them have heard of Star Wars vs. how many have heard of Warhammer.

Then ask how many are waiting for a new scifi MMO compared to how many need a new fantasy MMO.

Scooter on
  • grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Scooter wrote: »

Take the average person on the street, or even the average geek, and ask how many of them have heard of Star Wars vs. how many have heard of Warhammer.

Then ask how many are waiting for a new scifi MMO compared to how many need a new fantasy MMO.
    That, plus Bioware has better name recognition and reputation than Mythic.

Even considering people signing up multiple times, a hell of a lot of people signed up for WAR's beta and only around 30,000 people were invited before open beta. The vast majority of those invites came within the last month of closed beta.

I expect TOR will be much the same. That has been standard MMO beta practice, from Everquest to WoW and beyond. Sign up and hope you get lucky. If you don't have a friend at Bioware or are in a widely known guild, luck and good system specs are your best bet.

grrarg on
  • Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

That, plus Bioware has better name recognition and reputation than Mythic.

Even considering people signing up multiple times, a hell of a lot of people signed up for WAR's beta and only around 30,000 people were invited before open beta. The vast majority of those invites came within the last month of closed beta.

I expect TOR will be much the same. That has been standard MMO beta practice, from Everquest to WoW and beyond. Sign up and hope you get lucky. If you don't have a friend at Bioware or are in a widely known guild, luck and good system specs are your best bet.

I've never known this man to tell a lie.

Ash-Housewares on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    There are some people at BioWare on these forums

Does that count as knowing them

Because if I was ever gonna beta test an MMO, it would be this

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited September 2009
    Slowly but surely I'm getting through the registration process. Refreshing a coupe of dozen times in-between each step.

Alegis on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's not unprecedented for MMO devs to keep an eye on what the PA forums say about them.

Certainly not by the smart ones!

Scooter on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It felt awesome being picked for the WAR beta... But I got in pretty early mostly due to the fact I was super involved in the community forums.

For SWTOR I'm not sure how much I want to or how much time I have to dedicate to their forums. Which probably means my chances of beta for SWTOR are slim, especially given they specifically said they would talk active community members only.

parabola on
    edited September 2009
    Looks like (from reading the tester FAQ) they might do several short sessions with different groups and focus on different aspects. If that's the case I would assume people from the U.S. are more likely to get picked unless they do set-up European servers for these short sessions (which I personally doubt until they're late in development).

Then again, speculation, speculation.

Alegis on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Signed up for the beta. Here's hoping.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Got about halfway though the procces, and Bioware has to close down the site again... figures :P
    It's not unprecedented for MMO devs to keep an eye on what the PA forums say about them.

Certainly not by the smart ones!

Are there any known Bioware Austin devs who post here? Or are they going to hide in the shadows to avoid questions until they get some of us a beta invite like Akinos did for Champions Online?

EDIT: so I finally get through, get to the system scan... and once it comes up with my system specs, the thing won't go away unless I hit escape, and I don't see anything saying that my aplication is in. Should there be?

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    There's supposed to be a button to "submit your scan" however the only time I've gotten that far I pressed the button and got sent back to the beginning saying I was missing all the information from the first field.

Sigh.

Terrendos on
  • CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I get to the system scan and it asks me if I want to install the ActiveX control - when I hit "Yes" it refreshes and starts over again.

:x

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Terrendos wrote: »
    There's supposed to be a button to "submit your scan" however the only time I've gotten that far I pressed the button and got sent back to the beginning saying I was missing all the information from the first field.

Sigh.

same, hell earlier today I was able to do it all, even have it scan my system and then it just wouldn't load the next page.

Trying again and someone's already used my username in a registration :(

this time I can't even get to the scan, just bumbs me back like above

Shapeshifter on
    steam_sig.png
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Was anybody able to finish scanning? As far as I can tell mine keeps scanning that doesn't seem to stop.

Edit: nm turns out Java wasn't updated.

Simpsonia on
    edited September 2009
    Hallelujah, it finally stuck. And I only had to enter my name and information >20 times.

Terrendos on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Hallelujah, it finally stuck. And I only had to enter my name and information >20 times.

Same here. All told took about half an hour of refreshing, reentering data, and starting over. In addition to the hours of refreshing waiting for them to bring the site back up to begin with.

Tomanta on
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

The same sort of combat Leia/Padme did in the movies. They were certainly more capable than the Stormtroopers with a gun.

Burden of Proof on
This discussion has been closed.