As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SW:TOR] Sarlacc announced as latest playable race!

• randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    langfor6 wrote: »
    Though it was excruciating, I finally completed the beta sign up process. Ugh.

Excruciating? Wasn't it just fill out info and let it do the scan? Was there some part I missed cause I just had to put some info in and let it scan.

Yes, you missed the part where it wouldn't complete and people have to do it over and over and over and over and over (etc).

Oh.. Thank god then :D

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is anyone else having trouble getting the system requirements lab thing to install? I just can't get it to run properly no matter what I do. On IE it just keeps running forever, and on Firefox I get an error saying to try again. If I go to the actual SRL site to install it, it's the same thing with IE, and with Firefox I get an error saying malformed syntax.

God I fucking hate computers.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Is anyone else having trouble getting the system requirements lab thing to install? I just can't get it to run properly no matter what I do. On IE it just keeps running forever, and on Firefox I get an error saying to try again. If I go to the actual SRL site to install it, it's the same thing with IE, and with Firefox I get an error saying malformed syntax.

God I fucking hate computers.

I suspect you may have the same problem I had. Internet explorer automatically blocks ActiveX scripts, which prevents the system requirements program from installing. The way I solved it was to enter the custom options under security and turn off all the Active X protection. Just remember to turn it back on afterwards.

Vic on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ech, no dice. Unless I'm changing the wrong settings, it's the same problem.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yo peeps, I totally am gonna be a Sith from the outa rimz. All shoo shoo with the slashy slashy and be pwnin some Jedies thinkin they all floaty floaty.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My scan took maybe 90 seconds. Since the information you give is system specs and basically location, I wouldnt be surprised if they just try to get a widespread location grid and a decent amount of variation in system builds. it'd make the most sense from a testing perspective. How lag and resources affect the optimization

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    hey I finally got my validation e-mail.

But im at work.

so I cant do the scan.. still.

Not that i'll get in the beta anyways... :(

Melkster on
  • JadedJaded Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Anhø Han. That's a terrible name.

I prefer this one:

First 3 Letters of Last name

First 2 Letters of First name

First 2 Letters of Mother’s maiden name

First 3 Letters of Birthplace (city or town)

Hanan Niesb. Yeaarh

This is a much better method!
    Old: Toeu (what the fuck?! D:)
    New: Jacto (8-))

Late to the party... but I don't see Neigr Nocal being a decent non-banable name.

Jaded on
    I can't think of anything clever.
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Weird- I'm getting an error that doesn't open the "State" box in the fill in. Whatever.

Tach on
  • LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Finally signed up. Hoorah!

Now to sit back and meditate in a jedi state until i get invited.
    Then pick a commando and go rifle butt some lightsaber wielding scum

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Melkster wrote: »

But im at work.

You should totally not even try to get in. There's no chance you'll succeed. Trying will only disappoint you.
    There's one more person not taking my spot!

Terrendos on
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Terrendos wrote: »

But im at work.

You should totally not even try to get in. There's no chance you'll succeed. Trying will only disappoint you.

You forgot to wave your hand and speak in a deep, authoritative voice!

Melkster on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

But im at work.

You forgot to wave your hand and speak in a deep, authoritative voice!

This is not the beta invite you are looking for.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Someone mentioned on another forum something about a set amount of beta invites per region, with the vast majority (10,000) being based in the US. I don't know if he was just talking out his ass, and I can't find anything to support it. Has anyone read anything similar?

edit: Looks like they were just being a jerk.

exis on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    No one has any idea how they're really going to do it. Unless they're at Bioware. And Bioware ain't talking.

GungHo on
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I liked this post on the swtor forums by the community manager.
    I would like to point out that we are doing Game Testing sign-ups; we have not done any announcements about "beta" testing. As specified in the original article, the Game testing for Star Wars: The Old Republic will be rolled out in several phases over an extended period of time. These test phases will begin with smaller, tightly focused test groups, and later tests will expand.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, uh...in-game store?
    (H) You acknowledge and agree that all points acquired during the Game program are non-refundable and have no monetary value.

(I) You acknowledge and agree that all items acquired for points during the Game Program are non-refundable and non-tradable.

(J) You acknowledge and agree that BWA reserves the right to add or remove points from your account at any time and without warning.

(K) You acknowledge and agree that BWA reserves the right to change/add/remove points rewarded in the Game store at any time and without warning.

Hopefully it's like Champions, where nothing you buy changes anything in the game, but I'm starting to hate these P2P w/ cash shop models.

Morvidus on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Morvidus wrote: »
    So, uh...in-game store?
    (H) You acknowledge and agree that all points acquired during the Game program are non-refundable and have no monetary value.

(I) You acknowledge and agree that all items acquired for points during the Game Program are non-refundable and non-tradable.

(J) You acknowledge and agree that BWA reserves the right to add or remove points from your account at any time and without warning.

(K) You acknowledge and agree that BWA reserves the right to change/add/remove points rewarded in the Game store at any time and without warning.

Hopefully it's like Champions, where nothing you buy changes anything in the game, but I'm starting to hate these P2P w/ cash shop models.

It could be legal jargon for "You can not sell gold (or I guess being Star Wars, credits) or items for real-world profit."

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's the whole "Game store" on (K) that gets me...

Morvidus on
  • SaphierSaphier Aka Errant Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The name generator works poorly for those with vowels at the start of their names. Adch Hul? I think not.

Saphier on
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm still stuck in the BETA infinte loop!

DrunkMc on
  • Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    DrunkMc wrote: »

Man, same here. This is really ticking me off.

Vater5B on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fatal3RR0RFatal3RR0R Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Vater5B wrote: »

I somehow managed to escape.

But yeah it was annoying.

On another note, looks like I'm naming my smuggler Dime Val.

Fatal3RR0R on
    peachip4sig.png
  • RosencrantzRosencrantz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's the whole "Game store" on (K) that gets me...

I'm leery, but tentatively hopeful. Maybe it's just a store for cosmetic items? I could live with that.

Rosencrantz on
  • gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fatal3RR0R wrote: »

I somehow managed to escape.

But yeah it was annoying.

On another note, looks like I'm naming my smuggler Dime Val.
    Dime Val is a sweet name.
    I'm going for a Jedi named "Oba-Sai"

gigawatt666 on
    BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • ArkyrisArkyris Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, uh...in-game store?

Has TOR been confirmed P2P? The last I read they were still discussing which payment plan to go with, game store or P2P (or both).

Arkyris on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    widowson wrote:
    Stupid names are especially inexcusable considering how easy it is to make your Star Wars name.

First 2 letters of first two names is Star Wars first name
    First 3 letters of last name is Start Wars last name.

Examples:

Barak Hussein Obama = Bahu Oba
    George Herbert Bush = Gehe Bus
    James Tiberius Kirk = Jati Kir
    John Quincy Adams = Joqu Ada

I have yet to see it not work...

Waro Nor

i dont think ill be going with this system...

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • KassKass Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    widowson wrote:
    Stupid names are especially inexcusable considering how easy it is to make your Star Wars name.

First 2 letters of first two names is Star Wars first name
    First 3 letters of last name is Start Wars last name.

Examples:

Barak Hussein Obama = Bahu Oba
    George Herbert Bush = Gehe Bus
    James Tiberius Kirk = Jati Kir
    John Quincy Adams = Joqu Ada

I have yet to see it not work...

Waro Nor

i dont think ill be going with this system...

Chsc Mcc... yah... that method doesn't work so hot if your name(s) all have a lot of consonants at the begining.

Oh the plus side, was able to get out of the infinite beat application loop. Who knows... maybe I'll get lucky (probably not).

Kass on
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Just tried again and it worked! :)

DrunkMc on
  • Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    According to that name game thing, my star wars name is Pawa Coo....... no, just..... no.

Pablo the Penguin on
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I watched the dev walkthrough over at Giantbomb, and I really want to try this out. 2 things that concern me are 1. Will each "planet" simply be a big square of land like Warhammer, and 2. It seems to me that if the game is so grand in scale, that there ought to be more than 4 classes on each side. Now if they introduce a bunch of races with strengths and weaknesses that will add more variety. Something that avouids looking at scores of bounty hunters that all the look the same save for their face.

I know no one can actually answer this yet, but I was wondering what people thought.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, some species have been unoficially confirmed. Bioware hasn't said anything, but come on: http://www.hookedgamers.com/images/679/star_wars_the_old_republic/screenshot_pc_star_wars_the_old_republic019.jpg
    That practically confirms it. There's also another screenshot with a different species in it, but I can't seem to find it.

Pablo the Penguin on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's true that they haven't actually shown any other races but human as playable

I sort of wonder about that

I mean, fully voicing not only every quest for every class but also for multiple races might be completely insane, but i wonder if that's even a consideration given what they're taking on already

Maybe they could just make it like KotOR and have them just use the same three soundclips for an alien race in their language. It got irritating, but you can always skip it

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    It's true that they haven't actually shown any other races but human as playable

I sort of wonder about that

I mean, fully voicing not only every quest for every class but also for multiple races might be completely insane, but i wonder if that's even a consideration given what they're taking on already

Maybe they could just make it like KotOR and have them just use the same three soundclips for an alien race in their language. It got irritating, but you can always skip it

I have all the male Twi'lek sound clips from KOTOR 1 memorized due to how much I played that damn game.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    edited October 2009
    It could be like in Mass Effect where no matter how utterly disfigured you make your Shepard he/she will always have the same voice. As it says in the little info clips on loading screens in KOTOR 1, most species understand Galactic Basic, as it's the Republic trade language.

Terrendos on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It could be like in Mass Effect where no matter how utterly disfigured you make your Shepard he/she will always have the same voice. As it says in the little info clips on loading screens in KOTOR 1, most species understand Galactic Basic, as it's the Republic trade language.

Does this mean the Sith will speak different languages? Not being from the Republic and all.

Javen on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I suspect that when (I'm pretty sure it's a when, not if) you can choose which race you are, you will likly still be picking from the same set of voices as you would get with human of that gender.

Sorta like in Jedi Academy: didn't matter if you were Human, Zabrak, Twi'lek, Rodian, or... whatever Plo Koo is, you still had the same voice as every other character of the same gender.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Foefaller wrote: »
    I suspect that when (I'm pretty sure it's a when, not if) you can choose which race you are, you will likly still be picking from the same set of voices as you would get with human of that gender.

Yeah, that's my guess. They've said that there are a variety of difference voices for each gender. As long as they provide a reasonably broad spectrum I think it should be okay.

I hope they make most, if not all of the voices reasonably appealing. It would kind of suck to have the aural equivalent of the classic MMO over/under represented hairstyles. Grouping with 4 other dudes that all have the exact same voice would be pretty jarring in conversations.

exis on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    exis wrote: »
    Foefaller wrote: »

Yeah, that's my guess. They've said that there are a variety of difference voices for each gender. As long as they provide a reasonably broad spectrum I think it should be okay.

I hope they make most, if not all of the voices reasonably appealing. It would kind of suck to have the aural equivalent of the classic MMO over/under represented hairstyles. Grouping with 4 other dudes that all have the exact same voice would be pretty jarring in conversations.

Each class sounds like they have different voice actors and I really hope thats true. Would be best if each class had its own VOs.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited October 2009
    Javen wrote: »

Does this mean the Sith will speak different languages? Not being from the Republic and all.

In KOTOR, the Sith all spoke Basic because they were converted from Republic troops. I suspect this will probably be the same in this case.

Terrendos on
This discussion has been closed.