As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SW:TOR] Sarlacc announced as latest playable race!

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    It could be like in Mass Effect where no matter how utterly disfigured you make your Shepard he/she will always have the same voice. As it says in the little info clips on loading screens in KOTOR 1, most species understand Galactic Basic, as it's the Republic trade language.

Does this mean the Sith will speak different languages? Not being from the Republic and all.

In KOTOR, the Sith all spoke Basic because they were converted from Republic troops. I suspect this will probably be the same in this case.

The TOR sith are from the real Sith Empire, not the posers that found relics on Korriban.
    That said, force sensitives apparently tend to be good with languages.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    It could be like in Mass Effect where no matter how utterly disfigured you make your Shepard he/she will always have the same voice. As it says in the little info clips on loading screens in KOTOR 1, most species understand Galactic Basic, as it's the Republic trade language.

Does this mean the Sith will speak different languages? Not being from the Republic and all.

In KOTOR, the Sith all spoke Basic because they were converted from Republic troops. I suspect this will probably be the same in this case.

The TOR sith are from the real Sith Empire, not the posers that found relics on Korriban.
    That said, force sensitives apparently tend to be good with languages.

Didn't Revan also rip the Rakatan language from the Rakata at the unknown planet and stuff Basic into their heads using the Force? I'd imagine that a much simpler and less painful way is possible.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Also, by the time the game begins, the Sith and Republic have been fighting for a while, so you figure they would eventually understand each other's language.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Also the Sith control half the galaxy and certainly aren't numerous enough to have entirely replaced it with their own population.

Scooter on
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    why did the sith from kotor sound like british prats while the republic troopers all sounded like they were from bumfuck kansas

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    why did the sith from kotor sound like british prats while the republic troopers all sounded like they were from bumfuck kansas

British accents are naturally evil

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    And every one likes the good ol' boy from the country.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
    edited October 2009
    urge to make racist joke.... rising....

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My girlfriend is chinese with a really short name. The sum total of both of her names is six letters long and middle names don't happen in chinese names.

Do you....do you think she is secretly a jedi? :O

Has anyone else been generating random jedi names from peoples name they encounter seeing what pops up?

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited October 2009
    No, because when you make names from formulas they quickly become...well, formulaic. No flair in that.

Scooter on
  • ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I got the name Shab Chan from kotor. I think it's perfect for me.

Shabooty on
  • RyanReddRyanRedd Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have an obscure Star Wars comic question. I was reading this comic series a few years ago (more like 7 or 8 years ago) and I was looking to get back to it.

It was about 3 young Force Sensitive youth who are recruited to join a Jedi war (not sure if it was before or after the movies, I'd guess after).

The only things I remember are one of the kids blew up a flower in the beginning and that was the sign that he/she was Force Sensitive, and the guy that recruited was a big burly Jedi with a blue lightsaber who either got his hand cut off or died at the hand of a woman with a red lightsaber whip.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? Haha, I realize I couldn't have been less specific...

RyanRedd on
    That's good. That's a good one.
  • Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You could browse your way through this list and see if any sound familiar. I can't recall the one you're thinking of.

Dyrwen66 on
    Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • Koopa_ParatroopaKoopa_Paratroopa Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    RyanRedd wrote: »
    I have an obscure Star Wars comic question. I was reading this comic series a few years ago (more like 7 or 8 years ago) and I was looking to get back to it.

It was about 3 young Force Sensitive youth who are recruited to join a Jedi war (not sure if it was before or after the movies, I'd guess after).

The only things I remember are one of the kids blew up a flower in the beginning and that was the sign that he/she was Force Sensitive, and the guy that recruited was a big burly Jedi with a blue lightsaber who either got his hand cut off or died at the hand of a woman with a red lightsaber whip.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? Haha, I realize I couldn't have been less specific...

You are looking for the graphic novel or trade paper back, whatever you want to call it. Called Jedi vs Sith. It has Darth Bane in it, he is a bad ass.

Koopa_Paratroopa on
    Pearl FC: 5113 8469 2573
    HG FC: 4942 0608 0811
    edited October 2009

You are looking for the graphic novel or trade paper back, whatever you want to call it. Called Jedi vs Sith. It has Darth Bane in it, he is a bad ass.

That's it! Wonderful, thanks!

RyanRedd on
  • NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Not sure if this has been linked yet, Sith Warrior write-up. Just some writer's take.

NerfThatMan on
    PSN: corporateshill
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

That's it! Wonderful, thanks!

In that Graphic Novel you will also find children being killed and murdered in various violent and horrible ways.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Crimson Empire was always my favorite star wars graphic novel. Never had a game that really let you do the whole royal guard thing :(

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Adda wrote: »
    Crimson Empire was always my favorite star wars graphic novel. Never had a game that really let you do the whole royal guard thing :(

What, you mean stand around all day until you get punk'd by some punk with a lightsaber/force powers?

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    In that Graphic Novel you will also find children being killed and murdered in various violent and horrible ways.

Also you see a lightwhip, if I'm not confused. It's a weapon that is showing up more and more frequently.

Burden of Proof on
    edited October 2009

What, you mean stand around all day until you get punk'd by some punk with a lightsaber/force powers?

Yeah but you look good while standing around!

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Don't forget that if you let your boss die, you get to go on a galaxy-wide killing spree to avenge him!

That dude who was the focus of the Imperial Royal Guard novels pretty much killed everyone. I think he even got a shot at taking out the Republic high command at one point, but didn't take it.

Also, you might or might not be a force-sensitive. Damn Lucas for cutting off the one source of info about the Royal Guard's before the series could end.

Though, the Emperor's guards went out in pretty much the biggest blaze of glory possible, and totally punked the Jedi's purge while doing it, if Wookiepedia is right.
    A warlord had to land an insane number of Stormtroopers to take them out when they gathered on some obscure planet to mourn over Palpatine's body.

The sheer number of troopers and artillery the warlord landed on the planet made the Jedi purge look like a sunday picnic outting, and they still couldn't wipe them out.

A couple escaped through the army. Not going around it or hiding from it, through. As in, "i'll hold the line back here while you go slaughter your way to freedom and survival".

The Imperial Royal Guard was basically the Star Wars equivalent of the Spartans in 300, from what I understand. It's a shame we never got any other content about them except what happened post Palpatine.

Archonex on
    edited October 2009
    The Royal Guard are some of the most badass enigmatic characters in the sw universe. Are there any decently written books from the perspective of a trooper or someone thats kind of middling in the heirarchy? I've always thought it would be sheer insanity to fight on some of those battlefields with the sheer amount of destructive power some of their weapons have. the one redeeming section of ep2 was the clone fight in the dust.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Since someone brought up the comics, anyone have an opinion of the Knights of Old graphic novels? Has the random trainee that has been framed for killing a bunch of other trainees. I read through the second one and seemed like it could be interesting. B&N is charging $20 a pop for them but I found them online for $7 so I am now thinking of picking them up.

SkannerJAT on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Archonex wrote: »

Don't forget that if you let your boss die, you get to go on a galaxy-wide killing spree to avenge him!

That dude who was the focus of the Imperial Royal Guard novels pretty much killed everyone. I think he even got a shot at taking out the Republic high command at one point, but didn't take it.

Also, you might or might not be a force-sensitive. Damn Lucas for cutting off the one source of info about the Royal Guard's before the series could end.

Though, the Emperor's guards went out in pretty much the biggest blaze of glory possible, and totally punked the Jedi's purge while doing it, if Wookiepedia is right.
    A warlord had to land an insane number of Stormtroopers to take them out when they gathered on some obscure planet to mourn over Palpatine's body.

The sheer number of troopers and artillery the warlord landed on the planet made the Jedi purge look like a sunday picnic outting, and they still couldn't wipe them out.

A couple escaped through the army. Not going around it or hiding from it, through. As in, "i'll hold the line back here while you go slaughter your way to freedom and survival".

The Imperial Royal Guard was basically the Star Wars equivalent of the Spartans in 300, from what I understand. It's a shame we never got any other content about them except what happened post Palpatine.

Sounds a bit masturbatory. Like some author just really liked how the Imperial Guard looked in the movies and decided to jerk off all over them.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    SkannerJAT wrote: »
    Since someone brought up the comics, anyone have an opinion of the Knights of Old graphic novels? Has the random trainee that has been framed for killing a bunch of other trainees. I read through the second one and seemed like it could be interesting. B&N is charging $20 a pop for them but I found them online for $7 so I am now thinking of picking them up.
    They're good. It's a refreshing change of pace from the usual "Jedi = Complete Bad Ass" tone.

GungHo on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Timothy Zahn wrote a couple books featuring an Imperial Royal Guard as the bad guy

They aren't bad, really

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Looks like I'm going to be Jaco Mor. I had to drop the second "O" because Jaco Moo is retarded. Bending the rules to avoid ridicule is fair, I think.

Morvidus on
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Morvidus wrote: »
    Looks like I'm going to be Jaco Mor. I had to drop the second "O" because Jaco Moo is retarded. Bending the rules to avoid ridicule is fair, I think.

The rules are the rules, Moo.

Melkster on
    edited October 2009
    Melkster wrote: »
    Morvidus wrote: »

The rules are the rules, Moo.

I'm afraid I have to side with Melkster on this one Jaco, now give me some milk!

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I guess mine works but I think it sounds weird, Jejo Jen, I get a Jar Jar Binks vibe from it and that scares me.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nare (nar-ay?) Sik

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Adge Dwy

my star wars name is AWFUL.

Depressperado on
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Lema Tal

Lemo Tal woulda been cooler.

4rch3nemy on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Sounds a bit masturbatory. Like some author just really liked how the Imperial Guard looked in the movies and decided to jerk off all over them.

It's not, really. It's pretty heavily implied that the Imperial Royal Guard are all force sensitives that've been twisted to be part of the dark-side, without ever recieving any proper training in the Force. That, combined with their training (Which is pretty crazy.) makes them some pretty damned good warriors.

It bears mentioning that part of the reason they're so good is because they actually know how to pick their fights properly, unlike most of the heroes of the Star Wars universe.

A Jedi would charge alone into an army of troopers and die honorably, while the Royal Guardsman would rather fall back and slaughter them at a choke-point en-masse, or wait until their objective was alone to put a blaster bolt in his back. They're basically force sensitives that actually know how to fight, rather then just charging in and getting themselves slaughtered.

It's that premise that actually gets the original story about them going, since two of the last few surviving Guardsmen draw straws to see who's going to escape to get revenge on the death of Palpatine, and betrayal of the Guard, and who's going to stay behind to hold the line and die to buy the other one time to get away.

All this nerdy canon just makes me think that a game focused on them would be incredibly awesome, too.

Archonex on
    edited October 2009

It started off good, but somewhere along the line it turned to shit, with worse art. The last interesting plotline I remember from it was the chick with the sith amulet, which I mostly liked because it crossed over with Legacy (which is the superior Star Wars comic out now).

Scooter on
    edited October 2009
    Adge Dwy

Adge = not bad.

Dwy = bad.

RyanRedd on
    edited October 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »

It's not, really. It's pretty heavily implied that the Imperial Royal Guard are all force sensitives that've been twisted to be part of the dark-side, without ever recieving any proper training in the Force. That, combined with their training (Which is pretty crazy.) makes them some pretty damned good warriors.

It bears mentioning that part of the reason they're so good is because they actually know how to pick their fights properly, unlike most of the heroes of the Star Wars universe.

A Jedi would charge alone into an army of troopers and die honorably, while the Royal Guardsman would rather fall back and slaughter them at a choke-point en-masse, or wait until their objective was alone to put a blaster bolt in his back. They're basically force sensitives that actually know how to fight, rather then just charging in and getting themselves slaughtered.

It's that premise that actually gets the original story about them going, since two of the last few surviving Guardsmen draw straws to see who's going to escape to get revenge on the death of Palpatine, and betrayal of the Guard, and who's going to stay behind to hold the line and die to buy the other one time to get away.

All this nerdy canon just makes me think that a game focused on them would be incredibly awesome, too.

it'd basically be RC2: The Imperialing

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • SF_DhalsimSF_Dhalsim Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Adge Dwy

Adge = not bad.

Dwy = bad.

No don't complain I get Roro Ruc

Yea suck it Trebeck
    More like my parents sucks.

SF_Dhalsim on
    sig-1355736.jpg
    sig-1355747.jpg
    SC2: XxKhrushchev.539
    edited October 2009
    Scooter wrote: »

It started off good, but somewhere along the line it turned to shit, with worse art. The last interesting plotline I remember from it was the chick with the sith amulet, which I mostly liked because it crossed over with Legacy (which is the superior Star Wars comic out now).

I've been following legacy in the TPB which led be to get the second TPB of vector and I thoroughly enjoyed so I will look to getting the first edition of vector in addition to the next of Legacy that gets released.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.