Options

[SW:TOR] Sarlacc announced as latest playable race!

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Keda Maj for me.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Question, is the title of the thread part of one of one of the cinematics, and if so, which one? Or is it from the webcomic?

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    übergeek wrote: »
    Question, is the title of the thread part of one of one of the cinematics, and if so, which one? Or is it from the webcomic?

It's a joke from the previous thread.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ah ok, thanks. Disappointing, since I was expecting another cinematic where the Republic hits the Sith back hard, and that's the final line.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    RyanReddRyanRedd Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I assume this has been seen but just in case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D28vTvu-D4

RyanRedd on
    That's good. That's a good one.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ah ok, thanks. Disappointing, since I was expecting another cinematic where the Republic hits the Sith back hard, and that's the final line.

Somehow I doubt they'd be able to get away with a Grissom One Liner. It would be awesome, but it will never happen.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Brle Smi, I think, doesn't work. I don't even know how to again to pronounce it.

Shabooty on
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Somehow I doubt they'd be able to get away with a Grissom One Liner. It would be awesome, but it will never happen.

Damn, now I want star wars movie with Vin Diesel.

Sparvy on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    But I thought we already got two or three of those.

All seeing in the dark, chosen one this, chosen one that, some cable assisted acrobatics, fighting the sith on their creepy sith ship, good and evil and some dramatic reader's digest philosophy?

Not enough light sabers and the guns shot bullets, but it was close.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Riddick actually got too Star Warsy, so that it stopped being fantastical and started being outright retarded

About fifteen minutes into Chronicles

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Riddick actually got too Star Warsy, so that it stopped being fantastical and started being outright retarded

I never got how anyone could get into Riddick.

Just reading the synopsis of the movies on wikipedia makes it sound like fanfiction. The names of things alone are groan-worthy.

I mean, there's a race of goths that are obsessed with death called "Necromongers", and there's a planet called "Crematoria", where people get burnt by the sun. Everything is comically dark and gritty, too.

It's like a goth kid tried to write a movie script.

Archonex on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    that's why it's so good

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Archonex wrote: »

Just reading the synopsis of the movies on wikipedia makes it sound like fanfiction. The names of things alone are groan-worthy.

I mean, there's a race of goths that are obsessed with death called "Necromongers", and there's a planet called "Crematoria", where people get burnt by the sun. Everything is comically dark and gritty, too.

Thats why Chronicles never existed (and I will smite whoever say so), Pitch Black on the other hand is pretty damn awesome.

Sparvy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

The first movie, Pitch Black, had none of that shit. It was a very personal, down to earth version of the future

The second movie is where the writer/director/creator shit the bed

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Keep in mind that Riddick is basically Space Conan.

Scooter on
  • Options
    TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Jejo Ram

Sounds kind of like an adult film alias.

Teth on
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sparvy wrote: »

Damn, now I want star wars movie with Vin Diesel.

Thanks, now I can't get the image of him standing over a pile of Jedi Corpses with hordes of vode chanting MANDALORE, MANDALORE, MANDALORE out of my head and KNOWING it shall never come to pass.

You suck.

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Vode isn't a word

Why are you using it

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

The one-liners may have started with Grissom, but they were perfected by Horatio.
    And by perfected, I mean ruined. Thankfully they fit in the "so bad it's funny" category.

orthancstone on
    PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Vode isn't a word

Why are you using it

I think that's the Mandalorian word for brother. They made it up for Republic Commando.

Also, I didn't mind Chronicles of Riddick. I thought it was a fun watch. I'm pretty sure Vin just took a bunch of D&D concepts and lore and put them into space when creating the story.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Vode isn't a word

Why are you using it

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mando'a

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    widowson wrote: »
    Vode isn't a word

Why are you using it

holy fuck. god damn sometimes i start thinking 'nerds arent that bad for the most part' and then someone links some shit like that

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    Vode isn't a word

Why are you using it

holy fuck. god damn sometimes i start thinking 'nerds arent that bad for the most part' and then someone links some shit like that

Man you can't hold all of us responsible for that

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    no im one too. and thats what lulls me into that false sense of not-so-baddery.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Vode isn't a word

Why are you using it

I knew what it was, I was just poking fun at you for using it.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Scooter wrote: »

Keep in mind that Riddick is basically Space Conan.

He became Space Conan with the stupid sequel. Before that he was just a really neat antihero in a neat sci-fi environment focused on characters.

Somehow they took everything that was good with Pitch Black and corrupted it or outright threw it away. They even made him an alien to explain his abilities. They didn't improve on anything at all.

:angryface:

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I liked Chronicles. That is all.

SkannerJAT on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I liked it too, but I generally have bad taste in movies.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    I liked it, but I don't feel it was the direction that they should have taken the property.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Jo Gau is a horrible star wars name.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sparvy wrote: »

Thats why Chronicles never existed (and I will smite whoever say so), Pitch Black on the other hand is pretty damn awesome.

:^:

I still have a soft part in my heart for Chronicles, but damn, I wish they would have backed off the "Conan the Barbarian...IN SPAAACE!" bullshit.

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    Vode isn't a word

Why are you using it

I think that's the Mandalorian word for brother. They made it up for Republic Commando.

Also, I didn't mind Chronicles of Riddick. I thought it was a fun watch. I'm pretty sure Vin just took a bunch of D&D concepts and lore and put them into space when creating the story.

I would just like everyone to know that Vin Diesel was not involved in writing or direction or creating the character or the universe at all

Everything bad that happened to that universe was David Twohy's fault

Every single fuckup was his own

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I did not know anything about this until I watched the 20 minute developer walkthrough from GC '09. I had originally passed it off as just another MMO with a monthly fee. But wow, this looks... completely different. The portions they showed off looked like a regular single-player BioWare RPG, but with co-op if you choose (friends filling in for companions). I've been hearing rumors that they may go with a microtransaction based system, too, and offer up new quest lines to purchase for your character instead of making you pay a monthly fee. Oh God, I hope so.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh God, I hope not. If I subscribe to a game I want all access to all of it from the get go. The Idea of paying for a minor questline.

To compare it too WOW. One of the things that made WOW so succssesfull was the fact that Bliz practicaly handed out content to the players. All those content patches in WOW would have been paid-for-expansions in earlier MMOs. Even in micropayments the idea of having to pay for a content patch is a non-starter for me.

If they want to add stuff like the special TGC items in WOW, thats okay with me. Because those items don't do anything special in-game. The moment you make a financial hierarchy ingame, you fuck it up as bad as NGE on Galaxies.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, the only reason an MMO would want to use that payment scheme is because they can't get enough people to subscribe for a monthly fee to remain viable, like DDO

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the Old Republic won't have that problem

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well, different strokes for different folks. Some people are hardcore into MMOs. I am not. But this also doesn't look like your typical MMO. I'm sure there will be parts and quests that are, raids and grouping and guilds and what not, but this also seems to have an element that plays just like a regular, singleplayer BioWare RPG, albeit with co-op. I mean hell, you have choices and consequences, epic cinematics, NPCs refer to you by name, a full conversation system, a voiced player character, NPC companions, companions that can turn into love interests, etc.

That's the only part I'm really interested in, and perhaps having a friend replace an NPC companion to join me in my quest line and perhaps I in his. In which case, I'm more interested after hearing that there may not be a monthly fee. And because this game may also be so different from others, I'll also reserve total judgment on how a micro-transaction system may balance or imbalance things until we see more.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    In my opinion Micropayments would mostly appeal to the Hardcore players. The ones that shell out cash on ebay for a TGC mount and such. I mean if you can give 1 player a cool special item, you can theoreticaly give all players cool special items. If the only reason for not giving out them is cash, then that is a bad sign. What you describe sounds more like a basic part of the game.

Like I said if I pay a monthly fee I should get the whole game, with all the bells and whistles. What you describe sound more like the "free" MMO adds I see everywhere to me and thats not anything good.

Kipling217 on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    In my opinion Micropayments would mostly appeal to the Hardcore players. The ones that shell out cash on ebay for a TGC mount and such. I mean if you can give 1 player a cool special item, you can theoreticaly give all players cool special items. If the only reason for not giving out them is cash, then that is a bad sign. What you describe sounds more like a basic part of the game.

Like I said if I pay a monthly fee I should get the whole game, with all the bells and whistles. What you describe sound more like the "free" MMO adds I see everywhere to me and thats not anything good.

Just as a side note on that and not to get into the casual hardcore debate but microtransactions like items on ebay or buying gold are normally purchased by people who have more money and less time to play. Those guys are what I'd call casual and not hardcore, totally by definition of how much playtime they have.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well, that could be argued either way really. Its not like I have a definitive study on the issue, only my own prejudices.

Its an interesting issue though: flat Monthly payments vs microtransactions. Wich is the most appealling to the average player. In case anyone doubts my money is on flat monthly payments.

Kipling217 on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You don't need to be hardcore to get $15 worth of value out of an MMO a month. Compare it to anything else; movies, books, single-player games with 20 hours of play. The only way microtransactions should look superior is if you can't play more than, like, 2 hours a week.

Scooter on
This discussion has been closed.