Options

[SW:TOR] Sarlacc announced as latest playable race!

• Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    You don't need to be hardcore to get $15 worth of value out of an MMO a month. Compare it to anything else; movies, books, single-player games with 20 hours of play. The only way microtransactions should look superior is if you can't play more than, like, 2 hours a week.

That, and a flat fee of $15 dollars per month looks alot better to alot of folks.

Alot of casual MMOers probably haven't even heard of a microtransaction system for MMO's, unless they've dicked around with free/korean MMO's for a little while. If you tried to sell that idea to your average casual MMOer on World of Warcraft, it probably wouldn't fly. If only because it was unfamiliar.

There's a stigma associated with MMO's that don't have a flat subscription fee, too. People expect the communities to be utter shit given that anyone and their thirteen year old son can get into it, provided they pay the $50 cover fee.

Archonex on
  • Options
    KylogueKylogue Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Archonex wrote: »
    Alot of casual MMOers probably haven't even heard of a microtransaction system for MMO's, unless they've dicked around with free/korean MMO's for a little while. If you tried to sell that idea to your average casual MMOer on World of Warcraft, it probably wouldn't fly. If only because it was unfamiliar.

You're not going to market a microtransaction payment system. Have you never seen the ads for microtransaction games? "FREE TO PLAY!"

I doubt casual MMOers, when they hear "free to play" think... "Wow, I'm not familiarized on how this free concept works".

Granted there is some negative stigma regarding F2P MMO communities, but... You can always argue that there was a lot of negative stigma regarding paying a monthly subscription for a MMO before Blizzard stepped up and brought us WoW.

To be honest I jumped on the chance to get a lifetime subscription on CO, because
    1) I dislike feeling like I have to play to feel like my money isn't being wasted(it is being wasted either way, according to the females in my life)
    2) If I play it for as long as I've played CoX, I'm already saving money

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is, I hope they offer the chance to get a lifetime subscription if they go the subscription route.

Kylogue on
    360 GT: Ixtil
    PSN: Kylogue
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kylogue wrote: »
    I doubt casual MMOers, when they hear "free to play" think... "Wow, I'm not familiarized on how this free concept works".
    When I hear "free to play" I think "this is going to be a scam" or "this is a virus".

GungHo on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    GungHo wrote: »
    When I hear "free to play" I think "this is going to be a scam" or "this is a virus".

+ "or it's full of micro payments" or at the very least "it's probably shit".

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Archonex wrote: »
    Alot of casual MMOers probably haven't even heard of a microtransaction system for MMO's, unless they've dicked around with free/korean MMO's for a little while.

Or are a parent with a child who plays online in any given kids MMO from <insert latest trendy toy IP>. In seven to ten years, we'll have a generation of kids who've grown up playing MMOs and only knowing MTX as the way to pay.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Rami wrote: »

+ "or it's full of micro payments" or at the very least "it's probably shit".

at the very least, I know its either going to have no content or it'll cost 15 dollars a month to stay on top and get every basic feature. if not more (usually more)

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    well, it all boils down to how much it will cost them to develop future content, and if that cost can be funded via microtransactions. Is a mostly-steady stream of 15 bucks per month more beneficial to their financial model, or would intermittent/burst payments be the better option?

Seeing as how it's a 1) star wars game, 2) game made by bioware, and 3) a MMO with a successful IP; I would say they probably won't have a problem at startup and for the first few months no matter which method they use to fund future content. Remember, they're using multiple voice actors for everything so there will "probably" always be a little higher premium cost on new quests, storylines, etc. in comparison to a lot of the current MMOs whose quest content can be written up in a fancier version of notepad with recycled generic-sounding voice sounds in-game.

My bet is bioware will stay with the current subscription model, but allow some items to be purchased via microtransactions as there have been a few hints at it being present. My only hope is that they won't limit the game so that the "best" quests, loot, ships, etc. are only microtransaction purchases. If I buy a game and pay a subscription cost to play that game, I'd like to be able to say that I can experience all of that content without having to pay yet another surcharge to do so. That being my personal opinion of course.

WolveSight on
    253J736.png
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    WolveSight wrote: »
    well, it all boils down to how much it will cost them to develop future content, and if that cost can be funded via microtransactions. Is a mostly-steady stream of 15 bucks per month more beneficial to their financial model, or would intermittent/burst payments be the better option?

It's a Star Wars MMO being produced by Bioware. That's like Blizzard announcing that they're developing a new MMO titled "World of Free Blowjobs Online".

The thing's going to sell like hot-cakes, regardless of how crappy or good it is.

Just look at SWG during the NGE era if you don't believe me. The Star Wars fanbase has an enormous amount of tolerance for physical and emotional abuse, given the ass-kicking it recieved when Smedley was in control of the game.

Archonex on
  • Options
    JohnOrangePeelJohnOrangePeel Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Saw the latest gameplay videos recently, looks good; very reminiscent of the previous kotor games. Can't see this coming out on time though.

JohnOrangePeel on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Saw the latest gameplay videos recently, looks good; very reminiscent of the previous kotor games. Can't see this coming out on time though.

On time for what?

They haven't announced any release dates so I'm guessing they will just release it in blizzard style i.e 'when it's ready'.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Scooter wrote: »
    You don't need to be hardcore to get $15 worth of value out of an MMO a month. Compare it to anything else; movies, books, single-player games with 20 hours of play. The only way microtransactions should look superior is if you can't play more than, like, 2 hours a week.

THIS

Is why I don't even care about console systems anymore.

If I spend 2 hours a day playing (insert MMO of choice) I feel as though I am getting a killer deal on entertainment.

And now console games cost an average of $60. For 20 hours of gameplay.
    Ugh.

Micro-payments can have such a negative effect on the community and gameplay.
    Its one thing if you're buying booster packs for some crappy in-game CCG (Not my thing, but hey) or buying yourself a piece of "fluff", but once your bank statement can affect your ability to gain XP, gear or special permissions, something has gone seriously wrong.

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Bloodshed wrote: »
    Ugh.
    Sometimes.

Sometimes they cost $60 for 5-6 hours.

Still, three movies at the theater will still get you past $60 unless you have the bladder/colon of a demigod and go for a monster Coke and popcorn at a mattinee.

GungHo on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    People, point out that as a fully voiced MMO, SWTOR is always going to be more expensive to make then a regular MMO. Thats a fair point, but instead of using a microtransaction system to pay for it may I suggest an alternative?

Instead of costing 15$ with microtransactions, have it cost 20$ without them.

Its not like we wont pay that for a Bioware KoTOR MMO. Anybody that can't affort 20$ a month wont be ablue to afford microtransactions anyway.

Microtransactions have their place, but I can not see anyway to fund an MMO with it, without fucking up the gameplay something fierce.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bloodshed wrote: »
    Ugh.
    Sometimes.

Sometimes they cost $60 for 5-6 hours.

Still, three movies at the theater will still get you past $60 unless you have the bladder/colon of a demigod and go for a monster Coke and popcorn at a mattinee.

psh, call of duty isn't for the single-player. despite what some cretins might say.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    People, point out that as a fully voiced MMO, SWTOR is always going to be more expensive to make then a regular MMO. Thats a fair point, but instead of using a microtransaction system to pay for it may I suggest an alternative?

Its not like we wont pay that for a Bioware KoTOR MMO. Anybody that can't affort 20$ a month wont be ablue to afford microtransactions anyway.

Microtransactions have their place, but I can not see anyway to fund an MMO with it, without fucking up the gameplay something fierce.

that would translate to 20 euros a month (30dollars)

which is a lot of money to pay per month for playing the same video game

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Kipling217 wrote: »

that would translate to 20 euros a month (30dollars)

which is a lot of money to pay per month for playing the same video game

Wait, why would that translate to 20 euros? Why not 15 euros, which is fairly close to the exchange rate for 20 US dollars?

NerfThatMan on
    PSN: corporateshill
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Because several publishers don't bother using conversion rates, and just go straight from dollars to euro without modifying the base price. See pretty much every new game on Steam.

Actually, with current exchange rates, the standard MMO subscription in Europe is closer $20 as it is (I just paid the equivalent of $21 for my Champions subscription in Danish kroner). There is no reason to believe that a higher baseline wouldn't amount to at least $30, or possibly even more.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oh, wow. Did not know that. Guess with better culture and history you have to have some drawbacks as well.

NerfThatMan on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh, wow. Did not know that. Guess with better culture and history you have to have some drawbacks as well.

Well, longer history and culture at any rate.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Well, longer history and culture at any rate.

You calling Native Americans short?!

Anyways, still flip-flopping on a class choice. Leaning Bounty Hunter but... not sure.

NerfThatMan on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    You calling Native Americans short?!

Absolutely not.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I wonder if EA and Bioware are going to try and undercut the WoW price point though. That might be a pretty good way to help facilitate people over to The Old Republic from WoW.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Probably not. The current prices are pretty well accepted by the market.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yea, anyone willing to pay $10 a month would be willing to pay $15, since that's the amount that's been set in stone basically forever. They'd be doing nothing more than cutting 1/3rd of their monthly revenue, and it's unlikely they'd make that back in number of subs.

Also, you absolutely do not want to raise normal sub prices once a game's started. So if you started out too low you'd probably be stuck there.

Scooter on
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    widowson wrote: »
    Vode isn't a word

Why are you using it

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mando'a

I knew what it was, I was just poking fun at you for using it.

You all suck, Mandalorians are cool, and you've just admitted you knew what the word ment anyways. :P

Back to OP, I wonder how much of the EU they're going to pull into this? I know the old sith origins is in as a backstory, but are they going to pull Karen Travis' stuff when doing the Mandalorians?

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    devCharles wrote: »
    I wonder if EA and Bioware are going to try and undercut the WoW price point though.
    Maybe in the US. Us Europeans are no more than mere cashcows to them.

Well-mannered cashcows, but still just cashcows.

Alegis on
  • Options
    RabidNerdRabidNerd Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Alegis wrote: »
    devCharles wrote: »
    I wonder if EA and Bioware are going to try and undercut the WoW price point though.
    Maybe in the US. Us Europeans are no more than mere cashcows to them.

Well-mannered cashcows, but still just cashcows.

Cant you buy gametime cards from the states in most games or use the US version for the euro servers? Thats what i have done because of the exchange rate

RabidNerd on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    IIRC EA is the one who initially rose it to $15. UO started out at like $10 and jumped to $15 a while after EA took over.

Invisible on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I actually believe it was Mythic and DAoC that originally brought the price up to $15. It didn't just suddenly jump from 10 to 15; it was gradually boosted there. I think $11.99 was the standard for a while.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    EA has never been known for looking out for the consumer. I assume you guys all remember buying the ability to unlock all of Tiger Woods?

All the same, I do recall seeing in one of the interviews with Bioware (I think the IGN one) that they were looking at doing the pricing system differently from WoW. Whether that means just different through microtransactions or perhaps a lower price point, we'll likely have to wait and see. I do recall them saying that their structural costs are less because the technology is more developed now. Whether that means anything for us...dubious.
    Also, you absolutely do not want to raise normal sub prices once a game's started. So if you started out too low you'd probably be stuck there.

That's very true.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hmm, I guess with WoW buying a zillion machines or whatever they run, hardware probably is a bit cheaper now than it was 10 years ago. Graphical changes require better client PCs but the server requirements may not have changed much.

Scooter on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    New Timeline-video from Bioware's up for viewing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNTpOvblXJY

Owenashi on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That video resparks the diehard fan in me for some reason.

Henroid on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    thats pretty cool but the designs are giving me a serious post-movie time period vibe. they all look like advanced modifications of tie etc rather than precursors

this isn't based on having seen any post rotj art or anything (which mostly looks identical to the movies)

its just how i would expect them to look in a few hundred years.

however

im not nerd raging or nothing.

im all for that atmosphere being captured and dont really give a damn

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I thought that there was supposed to be some kind of regression in technology and resources around the time of the original movies because of all the war, destruction and what not.

I may just be imagining that though or I could be regurgitating the words of some fanboy elsewhere who has tried to defend the continuity.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Star Wars have been pretty much been at a stand still in technology for thousands of years as far as I know but I don't really follow the EU beyond the KOTOR games so it may not be true.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Every now and then some technological breakthru occurs for the sake of having some plot to overcome.

Henroid on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    "sir i have invented a planet destruction device what should i do with it"

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I guess technology isn't necessarily capped in Star Wars, but maybe it's a matter of resources to devote to new things.

Henroid on
This discussion has been closed.