As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the [adult swim] is not just for stoners thread

• Options
    TanolenTanolen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm suprised squidbillies gets as much hate as it does, minus the animation it is fantastic. It's pretty much just athf with hillbillies. The writing is pretty clever, I really enjoyed the recent episode about the LHC, and the ignorants take on it.

I really enjoyed shin-chan too, sucks that it was cancelled though.

Tanolen on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »
    All I gotta say is RIP Captain Murphy.

Adult Swim hasn't been the same since :(

Still great stuff on there, though.

Look lady, I'm just looking for some damn balls!

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Most people don't seem to have liked Paranoia Agent, but I did. Preferred the original voices, though.

Paranoia Agent was odd and could be really creepy, but I liked it.

I also liked Death Note. The concept was of the notebook was interesting all, but the real draw of the show was the constant battle of wits between Light and L.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    While we're on the subject of old adult swim shows, does anyone remember that show by the guy who did Aeon Flux that was basically a pseudo-futuristic retelling of Alexander the Great? It was maybe one of the first shows ever on Adult Swim. I think it was just called Alexander.

It was actually pretty interesting, except for the unfortunate choice to keep all the costume designs relatively historically accurate- codpieces and all. I'd guess that's part of why it went off the air pretty quick.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ronzo wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    logic7 wrote: »
    I"ve been told Cowboy Bebop was awesome... I'll probably get around to watching it one day.

It's the ending that's awesome and wraps up everything in a neat package. While they're out bounty hunting, their ship malfunctions causing Spike, Jet, Faye, Ed, and little Ein to all fly straight into a sun. There are no survivors.

.....not really but the actual ending is still neat.

I dig the show's vibe.

Yeah, and the ending is really good.
    ....Bang

You'll carry that weight.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    All I gotta say is RIP Captain Murphy.

Adult Swim hasn't been the same since :(

Still great stuff on there, though.

Look lady, I'm just looking for some damn balls!

I could watch Red Dawn over and over. More shows need Cold War parodies.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    While we're on the subject of old adult swim shows, does anyone remember that show by the guy who did Aeon Flux that was basically a pseudo-futuristic retelling of Alexander the Great? It was maybe one of the first shows ever on Adult Swim. I think it was just called Alexander.

It was actually pretty interesting, except for the unfortunate choice to keep all the costume designs relatively historically accurate- codpieces and all. I'd guess that's part of why it went off the air pretty quick.

Oh yes I remember this. Mainly because I remember Aeon Flux fucking with my head when I was younger.

Never watched more than bits and pieces of the Alexander show.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I had the ending to Bebop spoiled for me :?

Nocturne on
  • Options
    adejaanadejaan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fullmetal Alchemist is still shown on Saturday nights, along with a few other shows, I think...I'm always working on Saturday nights and can only catch FMA during my break.

As for all the other changes to Adult Swim, I also miss the days when there was more anime and less repeats...I remember thinking Inuyasha was a dumb show but I still enjoyed it. I also really liked the theme song for Ghost in the Shell although I never really paid much attention to the show - I usually had AS on the background while I played World of Warcraft all night...good times.

adejaan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

you should hurt whoever was responsible for that

ronzo on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    ronzo wrote: »

you should hurt whoever was responsible for that

though it isn't like you can't see it coming a mile away

which makes the "alternate interpretations" even more inexplicable

Rust on
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I remember that show. It was called Reign.

Man in the Mists on
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    irregardless

god dammit

That said, I greatly enjoy adult swim. Personally I like Frisky Dingo and Metalocalypse the most.

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    irregardless

god dammit

That said, I greatly enjoy adult swim. Personally I like Frisky Dingo and Metalocalypse the most.

thank you

i didn't want to take the time to do that on a iphone earlier

ronzo on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The Oblongs is a weird show. I can see how the writers are trying to be funny and I can sense Will Ferrel is trying to sound funny but the end result isn't that funny. The Oblongs are just kinda there.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

i remember this

it was good up until he got to india, then it got all sorts of fucked up....

and the codpieces without pant or skirt/kilt/loincloth and then long sleeve armor was... odd

Joolander on
  • Options
    adejaanadejaan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is it bad that I remember a lot of these shows because of their theme song? Home Movies, Oblongs, Fullmetal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell, Inuyasha and Metalocalypse all have good theme songs.

adejaan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Adult Swim needs to pick up Samurai Jack.

That would redeem them of all of their failures in my eyes.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    MidnightSG wrote: »
    I always saw AS following the same path of fame as toonami did. (funny seeing as how it was a spin off of it, like father like son maybe?) The golden years are about over and soon to follow will be, (not bad), but mediocre programing...all essentially leading up to it's death.

Oh man...that reminds me of how awesome Toonami was back in the old days.

You had stuff like Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho...then it slowed degraded into stupid shit like Bobobobobo-whatever the fuck and Zatch Bell.

The Toonami midnight run wasn't bad. I remember that it was being plugged as the stuff that they couldn't show during the day, with things like Gundam Wing uncut (blood and all; they actually censored out any blood from the daytime airing).

Toonami's downhill slide actually happened very quickly, and it began on 9/11. At that point, during the day, they only showed Dragonball Z and Mobile Suit Gundam. While MS Gundam wasn't doing that well in the ratings, when 9/11 happened, they took it off the air, pretty much because with the U.S. going to war (and no one thought otherwise) they didn't like having a show on whose main theme was the horrors of war. They replaced it with...Dragonball Z. So Toonami turned into the Dragonball block.

This worked for a while (Dragonball Z was their most popular show at that time), but eventually Dragoball ended, and basically so did Toonami, and it's star fell quickly. Sure, they tried to hold for a little while with some other shows that really didn't work, as Dragkonias mentioned, but the slide happened really fast after that. Adultswim took over the midnight block fairly quickly (I remember that while it was only a couple of weeknights at first, it took over all the late night programming very fast, literally within a few months if not sooner). Toonami daytime got replaced by something called Miguzi, and Toonami was moved to Saturday evenings, and miraculously managed to survive for four years there. Before it was finally canceled, basically putting it out of its misery.

Yesterday (9/20) was actually the one year anniversary of the final cancellation of Toonami. RIP TOM.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think Tim and Eric great show is pretty funny in a subversive sort of way

it is very strange though. I didn't much care for tom goes to the mayor.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That amount of love and coolness is no longer allowed on CN. And man I haven't seen those bumpers since it first aired.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dragonball Z, Outlaw Star, Gundam Wing and Tenchi, those were the days man, those were the days.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Toonami made those shows seem cooler than they actually were.

I always got pumped up whenever I watched the Dragonball Z promos as a kid.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    For a while, there was also the uncensored Yu Yu Hakusho. I got pissed when they put it on Toonami and censored the hell out of it. The worst offender?
    During the tournament arc for becoming Genkai's apprentice, there is one round where the participants fight each other in total darkness. At one point Yusuke pisses off Genkai (yes, I hear you saying "which time?") and she throws her cigarette at him. Toonami censored that part, even though it's actually an important part (Yusuke finds the cig, still glowing, in his fight. One quick pluck-and-tuck and his opponent now had a glowing marker on his belt).

Man in the Mists on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    For a while, there was also the uncensored Yu Yu Hakusho. I got pissed when they put it on Toonami and censored the hell out of it. The worst offender?
    During the tournament arc for becoming Genkai's apprentice, there is one round where the participants fight each other in total darkness. At one point Yusuke pisses off Genkai (yes, I hear you saying "which time?") and she throws her cigarette at him. Toonami censored that part, even though it's actually an important part (Yusuke finds the cig, still glowing, in his fight. One quick pluck-and-tuck and his opponent now had a glowing marker on his belt).

That's not as bad as banning the Hot Springs episode of Outlaw Star (though to be fair, there's no possible way to have censored that without throwing away half the episode), which contains a major plot point for the end of the show.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    CmdPrompt wrote: »

That's not as bad as banning the Hot Springs episode of Outlaw Star (though to be fair, there's no possible way to have censored that without throwing away half the episode), which contains a major plot point for the end of the show.

Wasn't Outlaw Star's first showing so censored that some episodes only lasted half as long as they should have?

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    logic7logic7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

It's on Boomerang @8pm.

Tonight was the episode where Jack chased the rabbit down the hole after it stole his clothes.

logic7 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

It's on Boomerang @8pm.

Tonight was the episode where Jack chased the rabbit down the hole after it stole his clothes.

Probably worded myself better; by pick up I meant pick up new seasons of. Because that would be awesome.

Good episode though.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    dangit there are people who hate Delocated

that show is golden

Paul Rudd is deaaaaad

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

It's on Boomerang @8pm.

Probably worded myself better; by pick up I meant pick up new seasons of. Because that would be awesome.

Good episode though.

Not to mention that along with an actual ending to the story, we'd get all the blood that should have been there in the first place. I understand why everyone had to be a robot, but after a while it just started to get to me. The ninja episode in particular bugs me, because if Aku could build a badass ninja robot who was that skilled, why not build a fucking army of them*?

*Ignoring the conservation of ninjutsu

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    god dammit i missed paranoia agent chat

paranoia agent rawwwks

Rust on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but Brandon Small announced recently that Season 3 of Metalocalypse will be full 1/2 hour shows.

That was exciting news to me.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but Brandon Small announced recently that Season 3 of Metalocalypse will be full 1/2 hour shows.

I always thought Metalocalypse would work better as a 1/2 hour show, so that's great news to me.

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    GR_Zombie wrote: »

It's on Boomerang @8pm.

Good episode though.

Not to mention that along with an actual ending to the story, we'd get all the blood that should have been there in the first place. I understand why everyone had to be a robot, but after a while it just started to get to me. The ninja episode in particular bugs me, because if Aku could build a badass ninja robot who was that skilled, why not build a fucking army of them*?

I've heard that they're still open to going back to Samurai Jack and making a movie or something to close out the story, but since Mako died, that could now prove difficult.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

This means less time for some of the shit shows.

Thank you Brandon Small.

THANK YOU.

Now get a goddamned artist and redo Home movies so I don't want to gouge my eyes out.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    How people don't like Boosh is beyond me. It's subtle writing, sure, if you don't like that sort of thing, it might not be for you, but there's quality there to be recognized.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

This means less time for some of the shit shows.

Thank you Brandon Small.

THANK YOU.

Now get a goddamned artist and redo Home movies so I don't want to gouge my eyes out.

The "Squigglevision" that is almost unwatchable was ditched after season 1. Its still quirky animation, but I think a lot of people who were instantly turned off never realized that they dropped that ceasure inducing style after a season.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Back when they used to do Thursday Night Viewer Bumps, I was featured on one. I made some silly post on the [AS] forums in the "Viewer Bump" thread.

"Dear [Adult Swim]

Inuyasha Fans are creepy.

- JustinSane07"

It was during the transition from Futurama to Inuyasha and it popped on the air just as I was about to turn the TV off. I flipped the fuck out and couldn't believe it.

The good 'ole days.

I have seen that bump more times than I can fathom and will probably never stop recognizing it for the rest of my life. Crazy cool dude.

Wait.

Is my bump kinda famous or something?

Where do you keep seeing it?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    speaking of Adult Swim.

Most of the creative team behind Frisky Dingo has a new show coming out on FX. It's pretty awesome from what little I've seen.

They aired a teaser episode last thursday.

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/originals/archer/

Dynagrip on