As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Castle: Season 8 : Well I Guess It Wasn't Named Beckett For a Reason

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Confusing thing about the Derek Storm comic:
    his whole series long love interest... is shot to death in the first book. You'd assume it's an "oh yeah, they faked her death or she survived" situation except that he visits her grave and vows to be a better person and all that stuff. And then the end material mentions how she's totally alive and every book afterwards is about their relationship. Just... wha??
    Apparently the 2nd one will come out by the end of this year, so hopefully it'll clear that up. Also, the Storm series as a tie-in is preemptively spoiled for me for two reasons:
    1) In the episode where we meet his first "muse" and then later find out that she's some ridiculous Salt-level super traitor, Castle basically says that he ended up not thinking a lot of her. Which to me just seemed like a huge lie to placate Kate, but it doesn't play well either way with the stupid 'tweest' of that episode.
    2) The first episode showed he tanked the ending Stephen King style because he was tired of writing the series and thought it was formulaic crap. So either he's too hard on himself or they should tank the adaptation at the end to be faithful to the source...

As for this week's episode, I was really disappointed by Alexis' non-reaction to Castle and Beckett finally hooking up. She's been a huge booster for the ship since mid-season 1, so her "oh I'm all about college just now" subplot was a disappointment. I also wonder if Ryan or Espo have figured it out already. Espo in particular has caught the tail end of more than one suggestive conversation.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    It'll be Ryan that clues in first. I mean come on Espo messed up his sure thing with Laney.

And I liked the Derek Storm comic.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    Honestly, at this point I feel that the writing for the books has outpaced the writing for the show. The first two books read basically like discarded episode ideas. I somehow missed the release of the third book, but the fourth book was a much more interesting story, IMO. Not only that, but it feels like Heat is a much more robust and developed character, whereas Beckett feels like she's got nothing going on save for her relationship with Castle. Maybe it's simply a matter of perspective, since in the books Heat is the main character while Castle's the main character on the show.

I do have to pick up that third book, though...

You hit the nail on the head with why Heat is the better character, because she's the main character in the books while Rook is the underwritten aspect in the Heat books.

Which again makes sense, the show is called Castle... Its about Richard Castle.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I know, but... I loves me some female protagonists!

Watch Nikita, that show has a couple.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Nice ep with what I figured from Ryan.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    Ryan was awesome in this ep. So glad
    he decided to keep their secret. Although you know Esposito is not going to let it go. And I think Beckett will let something spill to Laney.
    The tag for next week's episode looks pretty good too. Interesting to see how they do it.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    The interrigation to find out castles girlfriend was great :)

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    Karrde1842 wrote: »
    he decided to keep their secret. Although you know Esposito is not going to let it go. And I think Beckett will let something spill to Laney.
    The tag for next week's episode looks pretty good too. Interesting to see how they do it.

Not next week, the week after the 29th.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

That was the most awesome interrogation scene ever.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Casual Beckett is best Beckett. Apparently Castle's writers watched an episode of supernatural for this weeks subtle allusions to the principals relationship issues...

Also nice to see Respo back in working order. Thom's shipper fic was in danger.

Pfft, true love doesn't die.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Well, I figure that...
    Ryan will have a conversation with Castle where Castle will try to be straight about what Ryan knows, and Esposito will walk in and Castle will accidentally spill to Esposito because he figures Ryan told him.

As for the books, Nikki Heat felt like a caracature of Beckett in the first and second, and felt on par in the third. In the fourth, she was great, becoming a pretty fun character in her own right. And the plot about Heat's mother is a heck of a lot better than the plot about Beckett's mother.

Having said that, I really enjoyed Beckett in the latest episode, much more than I've tended to in the last season or two. In part because this was the first time she actually seemed comfortable with her relationship upgade with Castle (not that she was comfortable with the potential consequences, but that relationship itself was on good footing), and in part because she seemed to be channelling her inner Nikki Heat better. Also, the brief moment of Heat role play (for lack of a better word...) and the end was hilariously endearing.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    I'm going to make a call on the next episode now.

The whole thing is going to be based around castle being accused of murder and not answering questions because it would reveal the relationship.

Remember the next episode is next week not tonight.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I know :(

Yeah I was just reminding the other person who reads this thread. You know little Timmy.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Remember the next episode is next week not tonight.

Bummer... Guess I'll have to find some other excuse to avoid homework.

Since I don't have cable, does my watching it on Hulu count towards the "How many people are still watching this show?" statistic? Or am I overlooked in favor of neanderthals people who watch it on cable?

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Unless you're a Nielsen household, it doesn't matter if you watch it live or not. They do look at legal online viewing numbers, but they don't really count for much.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular

That was the most awesome interrogation scene ever.

Finally caught up and holy shit that scene was amazing. I decided at that very moment that this episode is never leaving my DVR. I thought Seamus Dever (Ryan) killed it.

You so rarely see Ryan as 'bad cop' during the questioning...

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I wish the show had a few of the extra detectives the books have. They don't have to be mains like Ryan and Esposito, just extra people that Beckett can send out on leads. Like everyone once in a while they get a good line, but the rest of the time they are just there to fill out the bull pen.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

I dont think they need more, as it is Kate takes the lead on almost every questioning session, and we mostly see little of Ryan and esposito other then them doing grunt work for kate. More characters would distract from the main characters, and still only get a small amount of screen time producing an overall worse result.

The show does have those other detectives, they just don't call them out as often as the books do.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    So last nights episode was pretty good. They did a great job ramping up the tension even if the audience was never fooled into believing he was the killer.

What I like is the recap doesn't give away the mid episode surprise. Other shows (*Cough* supernatural *cough*) do that to remind people about a character's previous things.

The ep was also shot to cast doubt on Castle the whole time as in the initial investigation they kept showing him looking all weird while suspects were talking.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    So last nights episode was pretty good. They did a great job ramping up the tension even if the audience was never fooled into believing he was the killer.

Was anyone else hoping that it was a double-bluff and Castle really was the killer, and the entire show would slowly twist into a really dark suspense/comedy where Beckett hunts down the mad, brilliant, charming serial killer she once loved, as he taunts her by writing novels and getting them published under a nom de plume while murdering people and messing with the protagonists' lives, spinning his dark plans while delivering pithy one-liners?

Because I totally was.

Evil Multifarious on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Long as that ended up being a Nightmare or something it would have been better than the episode we got in my opinion:
    I thought it was all a bit too contrived. Kate was way too not pissed/puzzled and too everything else. The scene with her and Lani on the couch was pretty silly. An affair by itself, ok, but to a murdered woman he's accused of killing? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Then the ending bridge shootout. He just absorbs a half dozen bullets through one hell of a magic vest it seems. Twice!

Castles escape was good. Everyone else was too constructed to get to the end regardless of anything else.

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    So. Cliche. Ow.

Was anyone else hoping that it was a double-bluff and Castle really was the killer, and the entire show would slowly twist into a really dark suspense/comedy where Beckett hunts down the mad, brilliant, charming serial killer she once loved, as he taunts her by writing novels and getting them published under a nom de plume while murdering people and messing with the protagonists' lives, spinning his dark plans while delivering pithy one-liners?

Because I totally was.

That would be so awful.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

Because I totally was.

That would be so awful.

fillion makes a great villain

Yeah, castle really should have known to go for the head at that point.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    I don't believe I've ever seen Fillion play a villain.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    He was a villain in Buffy.

I don't remember enjoying it. Though it was in the crappy UPN seasons and I rarely rewatch those outside of a handful of episodes.

• THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular

Because I totally was.

Sounds kinda like my idea for Monk. In Season 4, Episode 6 it's an episode called "Mr. Monk and Mrs. Monk".
    Monk is making progress in therapy and might just be happy. Natalie discovers that Trudy may be alive and it rips Monk apart. Obviously it's a cop out ending and it's not her, but what if it was and she faked her death. She continues being on the run and murdering people and Monk can't quite catch her because it's well.. Trudy. I still like the show but I think for that one episode it could have gotten very very dark.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Anyone else notice that the name on the uniform was J. Rook while Castle was sitting in the jail cell and talking to the guy?

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    Myiagros wrote: »
    Anyone else notice that the name on the uniform was J. Rook while Castle was sitting in the jail cell and talking to the guy?

No.... what would this mean? I'm guessing a chess reference?

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Myiagros wrote: »

No.... what would this mean? I'm guessing a chess reference?

Book reference, Jamison Rook is the name of Castles character in the Heat books.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    I caught it. I thought it was a psycho fan at first.

Then when it was revealed I loved it.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
    Not castle related but still awesome.

fillion.jpg

pleasepaypreacher.net