As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castle: Season 8 : Well I Guess It Wasn't Named Beckett For a Reason

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Good episode this week.

Alexis is the best part of this season.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Just saw on twitter that
    Adam Baldwin
    be returning this season.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Good episode this week.

Alexis is the best part of this season.

Castle and Alexis' relationship has always been one of my favourite parts of the show and I was getting bummed that it seemed like she was being phased out. Now that they're writing father/daughter PI stories, I'm happy enough that the Beckitt stuff is less of a problem.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    I think i might be done with the show.
    This makes me sad.
    This new batch of writers/show runner that they have this season seemed convinced that they need to manufacture drama to keep people interested. After 7 seasons that i truly enjoyed, this whole break up puts a serious distaste in my mouth.

Everything is so 100% completely out of character for Beckett that I was really waiting on the main characters to start calling her BS. That might lead to something interesting, but i fear they'll just rachet the drama "will they wont they" nonsense for the rest of the season.
    I liked the fact that they got together, and that they managed to make things work. That was one of the best parts of the show (my opinion).

I'm also a smidge disturbed by the latest treatment of Alexis. I mean, she is a very attractive lady, and i didn't mind the get-up from the party, but it all.....seems like its a "try hard" effort by the writers to make her something different somehow. Cant quite put my finger on it.....but its bugging me.

I had heard rumors that Nathan and Stana did not get a long on set at all last season. I chalked it up to internet nonsense, but with how much they're filming them apart (almost forcing the plot) i wonder if it has some truth....

Agreed. The whole show feels like it's succumbing to everything I hate about network TV. Manufactured bullshit soap opera drama to string us along because god knows the characters themselves couldn't possibly be interesting enough on their own.

Sigh.

It's still at least watchable though. But the show has been making really bad decisions on the larger plot front since they stopped the wedding for no reason.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I thought you guys were joking about Alexis being eye candy here but good lord I guess she's all grown up now.

Good ep minus the not thinking at all Beckett. I mean come on Lanie, what Beckett is doing is not healthy you know that, call out your friends bad thinking. At least the writing kind of hints that Beckett is doing the wrong thing with the killer kind of being "two" people and having that be unhealthy.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Not only is it stupid she's not even DOING it. The writers want to have their cake and eat it too. They're apart, but not!

Which is better than her taking off, I guess, but just come up with something else already.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yeah the writing has been incredibly weak for the past few seasons when it comes to plotting. And it's not like we hold this show to a high standard or anything. I think all of us would be fine if they just kept it to the episode-of-the-week format and spent the effort on the banter and jokes instead. But they keep trying to inject all this ridiculous "drama" and then have the characters behave uncharacteristically in order to get there. It's dumb and, frankly, unnecessary.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah overall plot is really unnecessary. I mean the OG thing with Beckett's mom was best played when it was hardly there. The cast's interaction with the case of the weak is the best part.

In a way this show is the opposite of Izombie, in that Izombies case of the week is just there, but the overall plot is really intriguing.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Well, the amusing bits were amusing, the case was standard case of the week and Kate continues to be the victim of the writers deathly fear of a happy couple.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Well, the amusing bits were amusing, the case was standard case of the week and Kate continues to be the victim of the writers deathly fear of a happy couple.

It is so freaking irritating.
    Nothing about this makes sense.

• Options
    Well, I liked Mia, Ryan and Espo were good and for God's sake will someone go back in time and slap the writers out of writing this bullshit split-but-not crap that just will not end.

• Options
    ExrielExriel Registered User regular
    Not gonna lie, I've pretty much given up on this show as anything other than background noise for chores until the writers come to their senses.

• Options
    I still like the show. I still have fun. Just cringe though the relationship drama. Though outside of the Castle/Becket silliness, they seem to have gone back to Season 1/2 pattern of the killer being the S.O. or family.

Odd note, Mya saw Martha on opening day of The Phantom Menace. (After buying tickets for Ep7 today, I pulled out my old Ep 1 ticket I had saved and happened to remember the date.)

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    At least some of the humor was back.

I got to thinking....

If the split thing "needed" to happen (i dont think it did, but for the sake of argument...) why didnt they just relate it to something Castle did wrong while he was away.
    Like, in his brainwashed state he "cheated" on Kate.
    She would know that Castle would never do that on purpose, but would still have a hard time due to her trust issues.

Same dynamic. Same "Castle needs to win her back" thing. Same tension of "she still loves him but just cant right now" thing......everything works and it doesnt feel so goddamned stupid.

• Options
    That would be worse. It's either his fault or not.

There is no way to do this that isn't stupid.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    That would be worse. It's either his fault or not.

There is no way to do this that isn't stupid.

again, for the sake of argument.
    For the record i totally agree iwth you. This is bonkers stupid.

• Options
    Last night's episode was fun.

Odd bit of backstory for Slaughter. But fun to see Adam Baldwin being Adam Baldwin.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Great episode. Okay, drastic measures, kill off Beckett, grieve an episode or two, and bring Slaughter on for the rest of the season (I'm kidding. I think.).

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I would have lost it if when Castle told Slaughter that he couldn't hurt anyone Slaughter responded with "Aww and I was gonna get me an ear too".

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Adam Baldwin may be a colossal douchebag, but he's a good actor and fun to watch.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Adam Baldwin may be a colossal douchebag, but he's a good actor and fun to watch.

Is he? I always thought he'd be kind of cool. But....what makes you say that?

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular

Did you miss the whole gamergate thing?

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Check out his Twitter feed.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Kashaar wrote: »

Did you miss the whole gamergate thing?

Apparently. I know its a thing that happened, but i didnt really pay attention to it if i'm being honest.
    I mean, the most i know is that it was about someones shirt or something? And then threats made to someone else? I thought it was a localized thing so i didnt really pay attention to it.

Ninjeff on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Just caught up to this week's episode. As mindboggling stupid as the whole "separation" thing is, I am glad that Hailey's getting bumped up to semi-regular. I just hope they don't do something idiotic like make her a love interest for Castle.
    Now, a love interest for Alexis...

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I don't like Hayley. =( I feel like she was just put in the show to be in the show. Especially for a final season, they have plenty of time to just give the other characters their sunset stories, and instead we have a new character who by and large exists only to provide some sort of magical segue into the next clue (a.k.a. what the rest of the cast, particularly Ryan and Espo, have been doing for the entire series).

• Options
    supersporksuperspork Registered User regular
    Got a short ways into the latest episode and I think I'm officially done with the show. The separation crap is getting really old and having her steadfastly act like they need time apart on their freaking anniversary just turns me off so much. And the pseudo split with Espo and Ryan (even if played a bit for laughs) just adds insult to injury.
    You almost get the feeling that some of the actors got behind this just so the show would for sure end with this season. I know that's not likely but I just don't want to think the writers are this incompetent after doing pretty well with the characters for so long. Maybe I'll watch the finale or even come back if it finally breaks free of stupid jail but until or unless I'm through.

• Options
    Given that it's on the cusp of dropping below a 1 point rating, I think we can safely say this is the last season.

• Options
    PizzleStixxPizzleStixx Parp? Burnett? Really? UghRegistered User regular
    Wow, that low eh?

PizForum-Whalers-2.jpg
  • Options
    This week was 1.1, 6.66 million.

Last week was 1.0, 6.03 million.

Week before that, no episode thanks to the CMAs.

Week before THAT, 0.8, 4.47 million.

All numbers are adult 18-49.

Honestly, aside from How to Get Away with Murder, ABC's been doing awful numbers in the 10pm slot across the board. But I can't see Castle getting renewed.

• Options
    They knew going in that this was likely the last season, especially given Stana Katic clearly wanted to just move on.

It's super annoying that they decided to add this CW drama to their relationship, and that's likely what has turned off a lot of viewers this season. Castle was one of the few shows I could enjoy on TV and not have to watch people behave unrealistically selfish and immature in order to stir up bullshit drama, especially the Castle and Beckett relationship. That has since been shot to hell.

It's super duper annoying because THIS IS THE LAST SEASON and they had plenty of other stuff they could have done like delve into the other characters or even just coast and let us enjoy the lighthearted banter and humor, and instead we just have this artificial layer of angsty drama over everything.

• Options
    supersporksuperspork Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's my feeling too. I was hoping this was the last season as it was getting harder to stretch for things to do but I had hoped they'd be allowed to move up and go out with dignity. Looking more and more like I'll just have to consider last season's finale (boring as it was) as the end of the show.

• Options
    PizzleStixxPizzleStixx Parp? Burnett? Really? UghRegistered User regular
    Are there rumors/stories of Katic or Fillion wanting out? I hadn't seen anything and nothing's coming up when I look.

PizForum-Whalers-2.jpg
  • Options
    This is certainly the last season. Mostly thanks to the new batch or writers they got for this year.
    I seriously hope they realize that the reason rating are so abysmal is because of this hypernonsense breakup.

There is also rumors that Fillion and Katic dont get along now. For some reason.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    They knew going in that this was likely the last season, especially given Stana Katic clearly wanted to just move on.

It's super annoying that they decided to add this CW drama to their relationship, and that's likely what has turned off a lot of viewers this season. Castle was one of the few shows I could enjoy on TV and not have to watch people behave unrealistically selfish and immature in order to stir up bullshit drama, especially the Castle and Beckett relationship. That has since been shot to hell.

It's super duper annoying because THIS IS THE LAST SEASON and they had plenty of other stuff they could have done like delve into the other characters or even just coast and let us enjoy the lighthearted banter and humor, and instead we just have this artificial layer of angsty drama over everything.

Seriously. The best thing about Castle was that once they got the two main characters together, they seemed to have decided to not be stupid about it and just let them be together and not manufacture a stupid breakup for extra drama.

And then this season.

Though realistically they've been making stupid decisions since they fucked up the wedding at the end of S6, which was a bullshit tacked on piece of crap ending to what was otherwise a great example of how Castle doesn't need this kind of shit to be compelling and can handle silly manufactured obstacles to the relationship with both parties being mature and the show being funny rather then CW-level bullshit.

• Options
    Maybe now that they are back together the show will pivot back into doing what it does best?

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I certainly hope so. This "diversion" has been so stupid.

Espo and Ryan continue to be great though. Ryan was so fast with that notepad...

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    I think that was the silliest hacking scene I've ever seen. Good thing I don't watch Castle for the realism.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »
    I think that was the silliest hacking scene I've ever seen. Good thing I don't watch Castle for the realism.

It had nothing on Limitless this week!

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Kashaar wrote: »
    jakobagger wrote: »

It had nothing on Limitless this week!

TECH TALK

e: But seriously, fans of Castle should probably check out Limitless - it's goofy fun.
    Really, everyone should check out Limitless. It's a good show

Jragghen on