As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castle: Season 8 : Well I Guess It Wasn't Named Beckett For a Reason

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    I don't know how I felt about the episode...

I think if the
    CIA
    hadn't taken up so much of the episodes time, I'd like it much better. As it stands, I feel like just one visit there would have been enough.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote:
    The episode felt like someone pasted together the shredded remains of a 24 script and the dirty bomb two-parter. Hopefully part 2 will redeem the whole thing.

I actually liked it very much. Made me want to see Safe-house.
    But what was with Kate and "The way you are looking at her, you aren't my partner" bullshit? Christ would she just fuck him and get it over with.

• Options
    Nappuccino wrote:

I think if the
    CIA
    hadn't taken up so much of the episodes time, I'd like it much better. As it stands, I feel like just one visit there would have been enough.

And yeah
    they did overuse that set

• Options
    Rchanen wrote:
    Nappuccino wrote:

I think if the
    CIA

And yeah

also
    as soon as they found the ex-professor, i knew he would die. I wish they hadn't gone the predictable route with his character

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Serves them right getting snatched in the first place since they stopped to make a call with for all they knew a freshly killed body in the room. Castle is (still) useless in those situations outside of calling for backup, have HIM make a call if you're going to do it.

And yeah, the Bad Guy obviously isn't being as he hasn't killed anyone we know didn't deserve it. If random almost extra's survive contact with him he's got to be at least not evil. I almost wanted him to wing Kate during the previously mentioned snatching scene, though, and how he got them into the trunk was kinda amusing or at least novel.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    While im ready to agree that gage is acting quite humanely for a supposed killer where it comes to becket and castle, he could just be using them to birdog the investigation to find the doctor....its obvious hes been following them around.
    Which is why they are alive.

On the other hand, i think its possible that the CIA woman is actually trying to implement pandora and gage is trying to stop her but that would be kinda too big an event for the series.

One thing that annoyed me. When they were tracking the cel phone call using the cia tricks. the first 90% was pure bullshit. The last thing they asked for was what calls occured near that warehouse in that timeframe.. Why the hell didnt they ask that first since it was obvious people dont go there on a regular basis and it woulda narrowed the number down to like two right off the bat.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote:
    One thing that annoyed me. When they were tracking the cel phone call using the cia tricks. the first 90% was pure bullshit. The last thing they asked for was what calls occured near that warehouse in that timeframe.. Why the hell didnt they ask that first since it was obvious people dont go there on a regular basis and it woulda narrowed the number down to like two right off the bat.

The thing I liked about that sequence, and the reason it gets a pass from me?

In every other procedural, that entire thing would have been done by the NYPD. In their crime lab. Every week. With holograms.

At least going "It's the CIA" is a "Yeah, they can have the cool bullshit toys, that's at least slightly more believable".

Though the "Oh yeah, also, might want to check which was closest, that could help..." bit did feel like the whole sequence was a little over padded out. Maybe all the rest was just showing off for Castle/Kate.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    FlarnaFlarna Registered User regular
    I do like me this show, and it's among the better procedurals on TV, but the writers still bring the suck from time to time.

Lanie: No ID, but lots of causes of death.
    Castle: You mean, other than gravity?
    Lanie: Oh, yeah. See that bullet wound?
    Beckett: So he was shot before he fell?
    Lanie: And stabbed.
    Beckett: Shot and stabbed?
    Lanie: And choked and has a pencil jabbed inside of his neck.
    Castle: Gives new meaning to the term overkill.
    Me (watching at home): No, Rick. That's the definition of overkill, you dink.

• Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    I'm an episode behind, but Esposito's terrible accent was fantastic.

• Options
    Bloodsheed wrote:
    azith28 wrote:

In every other procedural, that entire thing would have been done by the NYPD. In their crime lab. Every week. With holograms.

At least going "It's the CIA" is a "Yeah, they can have the cool bullshit toys, that's at least slightly more believable".

Though the "Oh yeah, also, might want to check which was closest, that could help..." bit did feel like the whole sequence was a little over padded out. Maybe all the rest was just showing off for Castle/Kate.

What I found laughable is the idea that the CIA actually has the capability of doing that stuff.

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote:
    Bloodsheed wrote:
    azith28 wrote:

What I found laughable is the idea that the CIA actually has the capability of doing that stuff.

Well yes, it's still bullshit.

But I find:

*handwave Spies*

is more agreeable than:

*handwave local police department*

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Bloodsheed wrote:
    Rchanen wrote:
    Bloodsheed wrote:
    azith28 wrote:

Well yes, it's still bullshit.

But I find:

*handwave Spies*

is more agreeable than:

*handwave local police department*

True.

Rchanen on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Why does a highly trained CIA operative
    who has the resources to topple the western world, need the NYPD's data base?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Deep (real deep) cover!

Or for some other reason he doesn't have access to the CIA's database. Or...something!

*Handwave spies*

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    this episode was fucking hilariously terrible

• Options
    Because of you people I was noting all the silly computer magic. Bah.

That was the lamest assassination attempt ever.

No shit the moonlighting myth is a lie, cute writers...

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    That was... ridiculous.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Ah, Yee-up. That was a thing I watched, there.

I miss Castle, I hope it doesn't get preempted with this horrible spy drama shit again.

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Yeah these two episodes were my least favorite Caste episodes, lets hope its back on form next week.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    After missing the first episode back from the break (later catching it On Demand) I thought about dropping the show. The PI episode shifted me towards 'not'. This two parter shifted me way towards 'drop it'.

Awful.

• Options
    LeTwigLeTwig Registered User regular
    That felt like two hours who's only point was to set up the conversation between Kate and Sophia while Castle was out of the room.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Ugh, the thing about Castle's dad just means we will get more of that...*gags*

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    It's like they decided to take all the worst bits about Burn Notice and turn it into 2 hours of terrible Castle.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    And
    I know they wanted the murder to lead back to the CIA, but do they really expect anyone to believe that the CIA assassinates foreign dignitaries by pulling a gun on them in a crowded lobby and missing their shot?

• Options
    It wasn't the CIA itself that was the problem, just how they executed it. So his father thing can work out fine. They had to go there eventually, this way may work as well as if he was a rockstar or a bus driver, I guess.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    This was like a bad episode of Alias.

And really...
    The ex-girlfriend turning out to be a foreign sleeper agent? /facepalm

About the only interesting things they did in the entire two hours were...
    Alexis' new internship working with Lanie, though I question the plausibility of her getting that, and that Castle had a different muse for his Derek Storm book series before finding Beckett for Nikki Heat (but then they pretty much ruined that plot point after only using it for that single conversation to delay the relationship of the leads). Castle's dad plot stuff may turn out to be interesting or may lead to more of this so I'm not including it.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I'm optimistic about
    the Castle's dad plot thread. I'm willing to give the writers a shot at making that interesting, and deeply woven into the backstory.

I'm just sad that this whole 2-parter was just front-to-back terrible. So predictable and ridiculous. I mean,
    really? The CIA can't identify a photo of a girl, but they have computer systems that can match a partially obscured ground-level, 2-dimensional photograph of a hill to a 3D model of the earth in their topographical database? Come the fuck on. And was there ANYONE who didn't see that Gage was the good guy by about midway through the first part last week? And was there anyone who didn't already know that the ex-muse was the mole? I'm usually not one to harp on a mystery being predictable, but this was just so, so bad.

This was the first Castle episode (along with part one last week)... well, ever that I've thought was just so flat-out bad.

minor incident on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I don't know... I enjoyed the episodes for what they were. But Castle really needs to figure out how to balance quirky light-hearted comedy procedural with epic ones. Sometimes having a straight shift is fine (like the bomb episode) but so many of them feel like they needed to be built up a little more. I mean, you can't go from what has been two of the most light hearted episodes to this and expect us all to just roll with the punches.

That and a lot of the episodes felt like poorly planned filler.

The actual action and general plot was alright, I thought. But the execution was rather lacking.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Wow.

These two episodes were quite awful.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Making a prediction now.
    Castle's dad will be the guy behind the Conspiracy.
    Because the lure of the cliche will be too strong for the writers to ignore.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    klemming wrote:
    Making a prediction now.
    Castle's dad will be the guy behind the Conspiracy.
    Because the lure of the cliche will be too strong for the writers to ignore.
    That....that would just be terrible.

When they set up the new mystery, I said 'ooo, new mystery.....that they will drag out over 5 years. Damn."

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Alternate prediction:
    The Mysterious Man helping him keep Kate safe is his Dad.

Alternate alternate prediction:
    Mysterious Man is his dad, and the guy behind The Conspiracy.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Rchanen wrote:
    Nappuccino wrote:

I think if the
    CIA

And yeah

also
    as soon as they found the ex-professor, i knew he would die. I wish they hadn't gone the predictable route with his character
    When he left the car I knew he was going to die. For a smart guy he wasn't genre savvy.

• Options
    Wait! Stop! Something's wrong here! The birds, look! It's a trap! A setup!

Let me get out and run towards it!

• Options
    Wait! Stop! Something's wrong here! The birds, look! It's a trap! A setup!

Let me get out and run towards it!

Heh. Now you mention it I wonder where the "birds sensing danger" think comes from that the ex-professor got. If it's a pigeon it's fine. An eagle? Let's get the fuck out of here!

• Options
    Well, I kind of understand that. NYC pigeons aren't afraid of shit. They're stone-cold bastards.

• Options
    Well, I kind of understand that. NYC pigeons aren't afraid of shit. They're stone-cold bastards.

I'm starting to wonder how he lasted that long. Normally when you see warning signs you avoid making yourself a target, not let your enemies get an easier chance to shoot you. He's practically a walking Darwin Award.

• Options
    Seriously. He was so poorly written. Why not just have him die in the
    car-into-the-water bit that followed just afterwards? At least then his character wouldn't have gone out like a moron.

• Options
    car-into-the-water bit that followed just afterwards? At least then his character wouldn't have gone out like a moron.
    Or shot by a sniper in the car the instant he noticed it was a trap.

• Options
    Or shot by a sniper in the car the instant he noticed it was a trap.

Nah, that's already happened in the show.