As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castle: Season 8 : Well I Guess It Wasn't Named Beckett For a Reason

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    What are the odds that, regardless the situation, she happily runs up and hugs both of them?

Fairly high, I'd say. Ditto for Martha. Well, Ma Castle will be much snarkier.
    azith28 wrote: »
    That might be how they get around it for another season.
    First scene of next season: Alexis comes home at the same moment we left them off at, so its interrupted, then more drama things happen which delays it since the act will take at least something out of the chemistry.

Don't give them ideas, they can hear you!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I don't really think that after 4 years of bubbling, Alexis could interrupt their coming together. Most likely season 5 is going to open up with them together and something bringing Beckett back to the NYPD, sadly it will most likely be Ryan's death.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    There's an idea. Lanie is more disposable, though. That being the case it wouldn't have the same impact. Guess we'll have to see.

• Options
    I'd say Javi, but he's there because of affirmative action. Ryan is an irish guy, always low down on the murdered side kick scale. Plus he just got married, so there'll be grieving widow time.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    This just means it'll be Alexis or Martha as previously mentioned a few times during speculation AND Ryan. Sigh. That way Castle is extra screwed up. See what you did azith!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I really don't think they'll kill his family. Castle isn't a show that goes dark like that. For the most part is a light hearted show. Killing Ryan is a "Oh shit things are changing" moment, but not like show alteringly dark. Where as Alexis or Martha being murdered would do that.

Honestly I'd just like some Castle and Beckett trying to work as a couple type activities in the next season to break the dreaded moon lighting curse.

Also big ups for this episodes call back to two of Woo's best, though if Beckett really liked bloody Woo she should have mentioned a Better Tomorrow 2.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Well another way they could spin it is to change the shows dynamic.

Say the kate/castle team becomes private detectives, and at the same time they have the bad guys trying to kill kate.
    or
    Kate and castle go on the run from the people trying to kill kate so the show takes on a fugative/a-team kind of dynamic.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    See, this is where the show really takes off by making Beckett a hardboiled PI who uses her connections (Javi, Ryan, Lanie) to solve crimes before the police are able to.

With Castle nerding out and wearing a fedora and trenchcoat all the time.

DONT TELL ME IT WONT

Edit: Damn you, Azith, I didn't read your post.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Plenty of great shows have turned their formula in its head in the final season(s).

That said, I think we'll see the gang back at work together pretty soon. If not immediately in the next season, then within a couple episodes. Although, I'd prefer if this season took a turn away from being a procedural a bit, and focused more directly with the ongoing conspiracy in each episode.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    The moonlighting curse is a bullshit myth. They don't need to "break it" as it's been broken before and never existed in the first place for that matter. I hope they realize that and don't have Kate decide she just can't handle anything but finding her moms killer, and then random guy X shows up and etc etc etc.

Probably (totally) right about it not getting too dark. That's as likely as them running off to CA to become private detectives, though, so I'll entertain the idea.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Out of curiousity, with
    Penikett
    there, how many Whedon alumni have been on the show now?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Just got renewed tonight. Not in any way a surprise, but, hey, if you needed official confirmation, there you go.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    Wonder if we'll get the number of episodes.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I don't really think that after 4 years of bubbling, Alexis could interrupt their coming together. Most likely season 5 is going to open up with them together and something bringing Beckett back to the NYPD, sadly it will most likely be Ryan's death.

Not gonna happen. Because then we don't get our Javi/Ryan spin off show.

• Options
    Didnt know they were in danger of not being renewed. Glad to hear we get more. While some episodes havent been amazing, I've never really felt dissapointed and im a pretty damn picky person about what tv i watch.

• Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    Didnt know they were in danger of not being renewed. Glad to hear we get more. While some episodes havent been amazing, I've never really felt dissapointed and im a pretty damn picky person about what tv i watch.

I don't think they were in any real danger of not being renewed, ABC and all the other networks just put off most of their renewal notices until this week.

Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options

They weren't. Castle is a solid perfomer with 10mil viewers every weak, even improving on a bad lead in from the bachelor this season. Every renewal list I saw it on was pretty much a sure thing.

Thom they could still do the spin off if they kill Ryan, they just have Ryan be a ghost person who falls in love with Javi. I hear Carrot is working on the treatment right now.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Thom they could still do the spin off if they kill Ryan, they just have Ryan be a ghost person who falls in love with Javi. I hear Carrot is working on the treatment right now.

You are a god damned genius.

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I highly highly doubt they'd kill Ryan off. They want to make next season more light hearted. That is the complete opposite of that.

I bet what will happen is they'll get a case that the crew cannot solve so they beg Beckett and Castle to come back as consultants.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    I highly highly doubt they'd kill Ryan off. They want to make next season more light hearted. That is the complete opposite of that.

I bet what will happen is they'll get a case that the crew cannot solve so they beg Beckett and Castle to come back as consultants.

or the case will come to Castle and Beckett, forcing their involvement. Chief Hard-Ass will try her best to tell them stay out of it, but they'll be solving it to save their own skin. The guy will get away, and then the gang will have to get back together.

• Options
    Bobble's way seems more likely. I just hope Castle gets a stun gun or something next season. Or maybe Kate will think to arm him when she KNOWS they're walking into gun fire. Think that's happened all of once, but I may be forgetting. If they do make the show more light hearted next season I'd take that to mean Ryan is doomed for sure come sweeps. Ghost show ahoy!

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Huh, no comments on the new episode?
    So HRC really likes playing senators I guess.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Huh, no comments on the new episode?
    So HRC really likes playing senators I guess.

And/or trying to capture and imprison rogue superheroes who are senators.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    For 4 years of build up, of "you woke the dragon," "this guy will destroy you," etc, I was kinda let down. The Senator was a solid villain on his own, but after all the build up, he wasn't that impressive. Needed a touch of Falcone from Batman Begins. He never seemed...menacing.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Shit, did the new season start monday?

I hope my DVR did its job.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Post-season-finale reboot. Yawn.

Although, whoo, sex-hair.

• Options
    Yeah, even though it was totally expected the last 30 second reset was a bit of a let down.

We were half right about Alexis showing up, though!

• Options
    I liked it, Castle isn't really a sequential kind of show, and so we continued the story line without letting it dominate what was going on. Plus now we get the hiding the relationship from others storyline that should make for some humor.

Its funny but in the third book it was Rook who got shot, not heat.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I am so happy they didn't do a, "this was a huge mistake, let's never discuss it again."

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Nah I figured they wouldn't do that. I did like how they both apparently liked the boning... which again is in the books too. FORESHADOWING PEOPLE!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Nah I figured they wouldn't do that. I did like how they both apparently liked the boning... which again is in the books too. FORESHADOWING PEOPLE!

I figured they used the books as a test case to see if people were okay with it.

I am 100% fine with them getting it on. The books showed they could still have the verbal sparring afterward.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Yes, for some reason I found the last-second crotch grab immensely funny.

• Options
    I'm just hoping castle goes for one more season and then moves on to the sunset. 6 seasons is good, you don't need to be all Law and Order SVU or anything.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I'm just hoping castle goes for one more season and then moves on to the sunset. 6 seasons is good, you don't need to be all Law and Order SVU or anything.

I tend to think the Angel-to-Buffy range (5 to 7 seasons) is ideal for most shows. Any longer than that and there are serious filler seasons with lots of treading water.

• Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    Are the books you guys are talking about the Nikki Heat books and if so are they actually good?

• Options
    I like them. Whomever writes them is really good at making it feel like Castle wrote them. You see where he got the inspiration from.

• Options
    If you just assume they ARE Castle and Beckett it IS the show. So if you like the show, the books will at least be passable.

• Options
    yeah! my dvr earned its keep and taped it. watched it last night. was good, but i guess im of mixed emotions about the result.
    1) the formula is not getting changed...thats good i guess cause it means they arent in a hurry to end it, but i guess something different couldnt have hurt either.
    2) They didnt do the 'it never happen' thing....and that makes alot of sense....most of the show was about this big crush on each other anyway, and to pretend nothing happen after they actually had sex, pretending it never happen is kinda stupid.
    3) I suppose the resolution made sense, but i agree the villan is kinda lame after all the build up. It lets them continue on as normal without any final resolution. A bit of a cop out but ill take it if again it means we arent in a rush to end things.

• Options
    I like the books, honestly when reading them I forget they are even a book and tend to think of them as a really long castle episode.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Casual Beckett is best Beckett. Apparently Castle's writers watched an episode of supernatural for this weeks subtle allusions to the principals relationship issues...

Also nice to see Respo back in working order. Thom's shipper fic was in danger.

pleasepaypreacher.net