As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castle: Season 8 : Well I Guess It Wasn't Named Beckett For a Reason

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Houn wrote:
    I've always been a fan of proudly displaying your failures to the world. Good for you.

In relevant conversation, I now want a dog. Thanks a lot, Castle.

I want Nathan Fillion to rub my hand. And clearly you are fan of displaying your failures as your post history indicates.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Watching the episode now.

Is... is the dog therapist... Kira Nerys?

Im almost positive the voice is correct.

That would be the third trek cameo

EDIT Confirmed

APODionysus on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    I await Levar Burton's guest spot as a host of a children's television programs, who's actually like into hookers and blow on the side.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Nice lighthearted show to balance out the drama of last week. And goddamn the ship tease is killing me

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Houn wrote:
    I've always been a fan of proudly displaying your failures to the world. Good for you.

Yea me too, that was a pretty dog.

Did the Lani/Espo relationship seem to backpedal from Ryan's wedding? Like the episodes were aired outta order?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Yeah, could have been. But it's like an E plot, so who knows.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote:
    And goddamn the ship tease is killing me

Yeah ... I hope they get together before the season ends. I don't think they can stretch that another season.

• Options
    I wouldn't hold my breath on that. It should end this season, but I won't be surprised in the least if it takes 6 or 7 seasons.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Houn wrote:

Yea me too, that was a pretty dog.

Did the Lani/Espo relationship seem to backpedal from Ryan's wedding? Like the episodes were aired outta order?

I think the wedding was less of a "getting back together" moment and more of a "OK, breaking up is hard, but we're cool now" moment. My memory of the moment is not crystal clear, but that's what I'm thinking after this week's ep.

• Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    Most likely aired out of order.

It seemed like they were going to get back together.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Am I missing much by starting to watch Castle in season 4? I mean, I'll go back, after this season, but should I stop and go back now? I have seen episodes here and there from seasons 1-3 so I know about the sexual tension, blah blah blah.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    IMHO, you should go back to at least season 2.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Nope, you don't need to stop watching the current episodes. It's not really a show you need to catch up on. The characters and their relationships are easy to pick up, and even in the few times when they service a long term plot, the episodes themselves mostly still play as standalones and reiterate whatever info you need.

But you definitely should go back and see past episodes later, though.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Nope. It's not really a show you need to catch up on. The characters and their relationships are easy to pick up, and even in the few times when they service a long term plot, the episodes themselves mostly still play as standalones and reiterate whatever info you need.

Ah, good. I'll go back to season one as soon as I plow through what's left of season four.

• Options
    No real reason to plow through season 4 either, though. It makes more sense to catch up in my opinion, but as was said, not required.

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I would say that going back to season 1 and moving forward through 4 is the best way to do it. Seeing the relationship develop as well as knowing characters backstories make these things really important.There is quite a bit that happens in season 4 that relies on you knowing character's histories with each other to really get the full effect. Kate, for instance, has a lot of psychological things going on because of events in her early child hood that are tied to events occurring today. Seeing the mystery solved without seeing it develop and affect her along the way would be really lessen the impact of those episodes.

Plus the show is pretty easy to breeze through. I went through all the episodes in about 3 weeks without really even trying. I just had to keep watching

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Someone mentioned Burn Notice in this thread.

I've now watched 16 hours of Burn Notice.

GOD DAMN YOU. It's 3 parts MacGuyver, 1 part 24. With a liberal sprinkling of Miami Vice and The A-Team. I'm doomed.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    One of the earliest tricks you learn if you want to be a successful spy is social engineering; you have to get very good at manipulating an asset into thinking what you want them to think, very quickly. You have to control the sources of information they're receiving, and make sure that anything they hear, see or read compliments the idea you're implanting into their head.

Get good enough at it, and you can do amazing things; like make people read everything in italic fonts in Michael Westen's voice.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Houn wrote:
    One of the earliest tricks you learn if you want to be a successful spy is social engineering; you have to get very good at manipulating an asset into thinking what you want them to think, very quickly. You have to control the sources of information they're receiving, and make sure that anything they hear, see or read compliments the idea you're implanting into their head.

Get good enough at it, and you can do amazing things; like make people read everything in italic fonts in Michael Westen's voice.

It works, goddamn you. I even watched a solid 2 hours of those "Ask A Spy" videos on the Burn Notice website. I could listen to Michael Westen explain how to make a fucking burrito in voiceover. A yogurt burrito.

minor incident on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Obviously we need a Castle/Burn Notice Crossover; though I'm not sure if one screen is capable of displaying the combined awesome of Nathan Fillion, Jeffery Donovan and Bruce Campbell at the same time.

...holy shit, they need a show together. Like, now.

• Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    Just have an episode where Jeffery Donovan explains everything Castle and Beckett are doing.

teriferin#1625
  • Options
    Teriferin wrote:
    Just have an episode where Jeffery Donovan explains everything Castle and Beckett are doing.

I would watch the shit out of that.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

GOD DAMN YOU. It's 3 parts MacGuyver, 1 part 24. With a liberal sprinkling of Miami Vice and The A-Team. I'm doomed.

Halfway in season 5 after 2-3 weeks. It is good.

A Castle/Burn Notice crossover would be absolutely brilliant.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Julius wrote:

KATE BECKETT
    ANNOYING COP
    THE CLIENT

minor incident on
  • Options
    So my wife had asked for a show like Castle to add to our viewing schedule. After watching the final Chuck we, per this current discussion, we started Burn Notice. Thanks Castle thread.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    So my wife had asked for a show like Castle to add to our viewing schedule. After watching the final Chuck we, per this current discussion, we started Burn Notice. Thanks Castle thread.

I think this is like the third time I've railroaded this thread into a discussion about a different show, and I'm sorry, but I like to think that people have at least found my newfound love of Burn Notice to be helpful to their tv viewing routine. In much the same way that Castle is a non-ironic take on the serial pulp mystery drama, Burn Notice nails that resourceful hero-for-hire vibe from the 80s/90s that MacGyver and Magnum PI had.

Both shows tackle silly premises and embrace the tropes of their genre without getting too SERIOUSBUSINESS about it.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    But Castle's over arching plot is there, if not really important. Burn Notice's gets lost somewhere fairly fast, so don't bother even trying to follow it.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Xeddicus wrote:
    But Castle's over arching plot is there, if not really important. Burn Notice's gets lost somewhere fairly fast, so don't bother even trying to follow it.

This might be because I watched them all in a row but I didn't feel Burn Notice lost it's plot.

If anything Castle has far more episodes where the overarching plot is not featured.

Julius on
  • Options
    Julius wrote:
    Xeddicus wrote:

This might be because I watched them all in a row but I didn't feel Burn Notice lost it's plot.

I'm only half way through season three, but I agree. The central plot ("I gotta get my old job back") seems to run through basically every episode. Unlike Castle where you can go a few episodes without even a mention of Beckett's mom, or the mysterious people who are hunting her.

Maybe that eventually changes, but it definitely has a part in just about every episode so far. There's always a second "job" that ties back into it.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Yes, but the who's and why's and whatfor's of it all get shuffled around every episode, too.

On topic- Why the hell is there no episode tonight? That's a rhetorical question, there's no acceptable answer, but there's less than a handful of decent shows left on TV (R.I.P. Chuck...) so this irks me.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Oh there isn't a new ep tonight? I could have sworn there was, oh well more SWTOR FOR ME!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    If you imagine that Castle said that instead of me, now you'll know why there is no new ep.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Just so you know, Preacher, I read everything you say in the voice of drunk Nathan Fillion.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Castle would get KOTOR 3 funded and be be playing that!

• Options
    Astaereth wrote:
    Just so you know, Preacher, I read everything you say in the voice of drunk Nathan Fillion.

I'm sure that makes some awkward moments if you read any of the politics threads.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I'm currently under the impression that Fillion hates Mitt Romney, yes.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Julius wrote:

I gotta say if there was never a Chuck/Burn Notice crossover, which had the advantages of being run by the same family of networks (different production companies, but whatever) and being pretty much the same genre (light action about spies), there probably won't be one with Castle. :P

• Options
    No don't tarnish Castle with boring notice the show that never changes.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    No Castle tonight? Nooooooooo. :(

• Options
    ...Not that it's a problem automatically, but: And Castle DOES change? Hell, the actual plot 'advancement' seems to be universally agreed upon as to be ignorable...God, I'm going to miss Chuck :P