As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castle: Season 8 : Well I Guess It Wasn't Named Beckett For a Reason

• Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So we have an awesome Firefly reference folded into an Underworld reference folded into a Buffy reference followed by a semi-decent graphic novel one. And all this while still managing to have an honest to goodness entertaining episode. With exploding sexy dresses.

This may very well be my favorite show on network television at the moment.

If you had asked me before its release if I thought a cop procedural would hold my interest, at all, I would have punched you.

Ok, well not actually punched. My fighting style is mainly running away. But metaphorically? You bet your ass.

EDIT: The slow grin after the housekeeper's son story.....I can't think of an actual word for the awesome. So, harglebugluf. Yeah.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Re: Nathan Fillion in the Malcolm Reynolds outfit:

All my dicks etc. etc. etc.

Also: I have the bestest fucking fiancee, who recognized the outfit at the same time as I did. Awesome, or totally awesome?

Ender on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Awesome enough that I hate you, without having ever actually met you.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    [Michael][Michael] Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Maybe the best Castle episode yet :) I liked Castle's "traumatic childhood story" bit, I totally bought it.

[Michael] on
  • Options
    RaakamRaakam Too many years... CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I hadn't seen this thread prior to today and had not seen or heard about the Mal outfit. So, when I saw him come out dressed as Mal, I honest to God thought something magical had happened. Awesome show, great episode. All we need now is NPH to make a guest appearance and they'd have to cancel every other show on tv.

Raakam on
    My padherder
    they don't it be like it is but it do
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    "What happened, did the relationship suck?"

Followed by feed the birds! This episode is something of a squee-fest.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    SAMURAI JACK WAS IN THIS EPISODE

but he was overshadowed by the greatest opening sequence of any tv show ever

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    [Michael] wrote: »
    Maybe the best Castle episode yet :) I liked Castle's "traumatic childhood story" bit, I totally bought it.

I knew he was BS'ing as soon as he said he found a body. I suspected it when he said his five-year-old self "walked for miles" down the beach, apparently alone. But Nathan is a great storyteller.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm saving this episode on my DVR forever. My fiancee and I watched the opening sequence about 5 times in a row. :D

I have to say, this is by far my favorite show on TV right now. I was concerned that Beckett just wouldn't be able to stand up to Nathan Fillion, but I have to say that she has done an amazing job of giving as good as she gets from him. The writing is clever and fresh, and the acting and chemistry between the characters is unparalleled. Thank god Nathan found a show that will (HOPEFULLY) be carried out for a while!

It doesn't hurt that they play to fans with things like the Mal costume, and Beckett in slinky dresses. Mmmm.

Ender on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »
    *cracks up* "Didn't you wear that, like, five years ago? It's time to move on."

I squee. I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Anyone else catch the Firefly shout out in Dancing with the Stars?

And Becket is apparently a comic book fan. Wow. They want to hit all the nerd groups tonight don't they?

Well Beckett liking comics isn't much of a surprise I believe she's admitted to something geeky in a previous ep. I mean Castle's books aren't exactly high fiction and shes one of his big fans.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Okay, I feel like a horrible Firefly Fan, but can someone explain the reference to this?

noir_blood on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    late to the thread, but has anyone actually read "heat wave"? apparently it's like number 11 on the ny times list right now

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Okay, I feel like a horrible Firefly Fan, but can someone explain the reference to this?

Feed the birds isn't a firefly thing. It's just something he made up and talked about on twitter, like "bam said the lady..."

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I have to say, that the tone and just overall sense of fun that oozes from the show reminds me of that short-lived series "Raines" starring Jeff Goldblum.

Great stuff all around last night.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I like it significantly more than Raines, not least because Jeff Goldblum isn't watching me poop

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Feed the birds isn't a firefly thing. It's just something he made up and talked about on twitter, like "bam said the lady..."

Exactly, Nathan Fillion is trying to get feed the birds and bam said the lady into popular lexicon. I feel like feed the birds is something I will try to get all my friends and co-workers to adopt.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    I like it significantly more than Raines, not least because Jeff Goldblum isn't watching me poop

Honestly Goldblum is probably a nice guy, but he'll always be a snake bastard who tried to kill Danny Glover to me.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Preacher wrote: »

Honestly Goldblum is probably a nice guy, but he'll always be a mathematician getting chased around by dinosaurs to me.

TheMarshal on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    TheMarshal wrote: »

Honestly Goldblum is probably a nice guy, but he'll always be a mathematician getting chased around by dinosaurs to me.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Honestly Goldblum is probably a nice guy, but he'll always be an engineer nuking the shit out of aliens to me.

Ender on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Watching now, but HOLY CRAP THE OPENING IS AWESOME.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This show is like Seven Kinds of Awesome!

I liked how they didn't go for the "uh Beckett can wear a dress" gimmick again at the end. I fully expected her to be the ... I dunno .. Wicked Witch of the West in a very, very revealing dress or something. The exploding thing was good ...

I just hope this show stays on for more than this season ...

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well, it seems to be pulling a 2.5-2.8 in the demo's, which isn't terrible. It isn't great, either.

It is, however, netting a consistent 11 million or so viewers a week. The problem is that the age demo for the show is skewed towards the older end of the spectrum, so the holy grail 18-49 demographic is a lot weaker than the numbers of viewers would typically indicate.

It mostly will depend on how its doing in May, now that it got its back 9 the current nbumbers don't really mean much by way of making any kind of prediction.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Well, it seems to be pulling a 2.5-2.8 in the demo's, which isn't terrible. It isn't great, either.

It is, however, netting a consistent 11 million or so viewers a week. The problem is that the age demo for the show is skewed towards the older end of the spectrum, so the holy grail 18-49 demographic is a lot weaker than the numbers of viewers would typically indicate.

It mostly will depend on how its doing in May, now that it got its back 9 the current nbumbers don't really mean much by way of making any kind of prediction.

Yeah but it was an early pick up for the back 9 and honestly Castle is only competing against CSI miami, so being the number 2 show at 10 isn't that bad. It keeps a decent chunk of its lead in which also doesn't do well in the younger demo.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ender wrote: »

Honestly Goldblum is probably a nice guy, but he'll always be Guy from Law and Order to me.

What? Am I the only one?

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Clearly you were born after 1990 or were too young to see Jurassic Park in the theater.

[Edit] we need to be careful about discussing JP, Bevo will come in and take over the thread with tales of her JP action figurines. Which were awesome toys, btw.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    late to the thread, but has anyone actually read "heat wave"? apparently it's like number 11 on the ny times list right now

I read it. It's a good book.

Also,

Honestly Goldblum is probably a nice guy, but he'll always be the nerdy guy dressed up like a gay cowboy in Buckaroo Bonzai. to me.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    squuuuuueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

and a buffy ref too!

I was surprised he didn't reference that character, too. You know, something like:

Becket: You like Buffy?

Castle: Are you kidding? By the final episode, I was beside myself.

...you know, except more clever and written by an actual professional.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Watching now, but HOLY CRAP THE OPENING IS AWESOME.

I totally agree. I saw it and I was literally dancing and cheering at the sight.

I fucking love this show.

OHMYFUCKINGGOD FRANK MILLER REFERENCE

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I didn't know it because I didn't see the spirit but I guess the miller ref was because beckett was in it.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    And it can't be coincidence that it happened to be the Barker school of design in a halloween episode.

I love this show.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Had to go back and watch my copy on the DVR after Fillion mentioned it on twitter:

when he bursts out the door in the Mal costume, there's a certain Nothing Part Until You Need One sitting on the shelf

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ender wrote: »

Honestly Goldblum is probably a nice guy, but he'll always be part gay oceanographic explorer to me.

Going for the hipster nostalgia.

Also this episode was awesome but I don't know if I like the show all that much.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011

adytum on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I quite enjoy this show. But you know what? It's a pretty mediocre cop show. That portion is fairly plain, commonplace, and often predictable. You know what else, though? It doesn't matter

This show is great because of the characters. They're just so awesome! I love the way they interact with each other, play off each other, and carry themselves. They're just so entertaining to follow along. I love it!

LaOs on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    LaOs wrote: »
    I quite enjoy this show. But you know what? It's a pretty mediocre cop show. That portion is fairly plain, commonplace, and often predictable. You know what else, though? It doesn't matter

This show is great because of the characters. They're just so awesome! I love the way they interact with each other, play off each other, and carry themselves. They're just so entertaining to follow along. I love it!

I'm routinely surprised by the other actors holding their own against Castle and Beckett.

I thought Castle's daughter had the best line of the most recent episode, "Didn't you wear that five years ago?" and Esposito and Ryan continue to be awesome.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Had to go back and watch my copy on the DVR after Fillion mentioned it on twitter:

when he bursts out the door in the Mal costume, there's a certain Nothing Part Until You Need One sitting on the shelf
    How did the catalyzer come to my possesion? I got it the same way Mal would. I stole it.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

How did the catalyzer come to my possesion? I got it the same way Mal would. I stole it.

I just watched it, knew it was there, and I can't see it. Still squeed though :mrgreen:

a5ehren on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I was also really hoping he was going to the party as Bill Pardy instead of Poe though.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I was expecting Beckett to declare herself as 'Nikki Heat.'

Gabriel_Pitt on