As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Darksiders] = Zelda + DMC + GoW + Panzer Dragoon + SotC + Portal.

• OpiumOpium regular
    edited December 2009
    If this is Zelda, it's The Legend of Zelda: Warrior Within. Which everyone hated.

Opium on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Opium wrote: »
    If this is Zelda, it's The Legend of Zelda: Warrior Within. Which everyone hated.

Ehhh not really. A big reason people have such hatred for WW was because of its pedigree.

Now, your point would be valid if this was an actual Zelda game, but it isn't.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Daniel_ArayaDaniel_Araya Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've got two main problems with this game.

1) The overabundance of unnecessary detail creates a huge lack of a focal point EVERYWHERE. The characters don't have places for the eye to rest, and most of the screenshots require that I take a few seconds to discern what's going on. That should NEVER happen in any visual medium. Everything should be communicated as instantly as possible. This crazy urge to put a fuckload of detail EVERYWHERE is a trend that needs to die in video games. Give us the detail where it helps focus our eye, don't put 17 plates of armor and chains and skulls of fire on his ankle. We don't need to be looking at his ankle. There needs to be a system in place that exaggerates atmospheric perspective so that background elements don't get visually jumbled with the characters quite as much. There needs to be clarity. clarity, clarity, clarity. They need to be selective with their detail.

2) Joe Mad said in an interview for this game that they disregarded the horsemen Pestilence and Famine because they weren't bad ass enough (or something to that effect.) Give me a fucking break. That REALLY turned me off to the game. Which is a shame, because most of Joe Mad's artwork is a guilty pleasure of mine too. Not always, but most of the time.

Daniel_Araya on
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Ehhh not really. A big reason people have such hatred for WW was because of its pedigree.

:^:

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited December 2009
    Chance wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

:^:

I'll have the last laugh when the sales figures come in and it sells like 12 copies in the first three weeks.

Opium on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    I preordered this last night. Maybe it'll be good. If not, I'll just pass that on to BBC2.

Yeah I can't say 100% that this is worth a day-one purchase, but I'll definitely be eying up reviews in the week ahead of its release. The reviews would have to be uniformly piss-poor to dissuade me, though.

The missus likes the art style and thinks it looks cool, so barring a deluge of bad reviews, it looks like we're buying it.

Sheep on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If it sells poorly it won't be because it is extreeeeme. That's the only reason people care.

If it does badly its because nobodies heard of it.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited December 2009
    I'll have the last laugh when the sales figures come in and it sells like 12 copies in the first three weeks.

Are you...? Is he...? I think he is. This calls for the sharpest of all implements: internet sarcasm.

Nothing says quality like sales numbers, that's for sure! Games that bomb commercially like Psychonauts, Ico and Beyond Good & Evil are just the worst.

At any rate, I can't wait to get home and crack open my new copy of Wii Play! With twenty three million units sold, you know it's good. :^:

Chance on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't care what the game plays like, or the setting

I only care if the game is good. and it's got a lot of positive buzz, so here's hoping.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    looking forward to this, I heard the preview embargo is over today so we should be seeing some more impressions and whatnot.

aBlank on
  • ZeroNowZeroNow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This does look brilliant from the trailers. I wouldn't be that keen unless it has the puzzle element to it. Otherwise it would be just another fantasy button bash grind-fest. I'm looking forward to it.

ZeroNow on
    Mortal+Avenger.png
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Are you...? Is he...? I think he is. This calls for the sharpest of all implements: internet sarcasm.

Nothing says quality like sales numbers, that's for sure! Games that bomb commercially like Psychonauts, Ico and Beyond Good & Evil are just the worst.

At any rate, I can't wait to get home and crack open my new copy of Wii Play! With twenty three million units sold, you know it's good. :^:

He wasn't passing judgment on the quality of the game. It could be the highest quality game ever, but if I'm not interested in it then I have no reason to want it to do well. I'd laugh too if it sells 12 units, because that's both awful and appropriate, given what I've seen of this game.

Also Wii Play is good and well worth it.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Good games sell like crap all the time.

Sheep on
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The game looks immature, but that doesn't reflect on it's quality at all. White Knight Chronicle looked awesome in previews, but hey, it sucks. Puzzle Quests sounded like the worst idea for a game ever, but hey, it's awesome.

CygnusZ on
    edited December 2009
    I was about to write a post about this 9/10 review score from 360 Gamer (a UK magazine) when I decided to try to find some corroborating evidence for it.

Anyway, I find this blog which seems to be almost entirely about the game - but there are a few other headings that suggest other interests. Either way, if the game had gotten any 60s I doubt we'd read about it there, but here's the review scores he's listed:

10/10 - Play Magazine (us)

9/10 - 360 Gamer (uk) "Gold Award"

8.8/10 - ConsolPLUS (de) "Console Best Choice"

Found a quote from the Play review: "one of the most visually refined, immersive, and altogether robust video game experiences available on any system.”

Immersive? ...really? I don't... wait, what?

I'm looking forward to Eurogamer's review, that's all I can say.

Chance on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    this looks kind of cool, once i have money again i think i may pick this up

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    All 4 Horsemen aren't in? The hell? That's...weird.

Renzo on
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    War is SO badass that he killed the other ones

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
    edited December 2009
    There's still four, but Conquest is renamed Strife and Famine is renamed Fury. Death is still Death.

Chance on
    edited December 2009
    why?

I mean, conquest and famine are prettttttty metal...

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    There's still four, but Conquest is renamed Strife and Famine is renamed Fury. Death is still Death.

Conquest?

I don't think there was ever a horseman named Conquest

I think it was War, Death, Famine, and Pestilence

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited December 2009

Hold on:

blah i'm dumb, revisionist history go!

Who's Conquest?

er, wait a tic.

wikipedia, help!

oh shit, nvm. Death is one of the Four. Hunger and Famine are the same thing, not sure what I was smoking there. And Pestilence is sometimes called Conquest! Okay.

Renzo on
    edited December 2009
    YEAH HEY WAIT A MINUTE

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hunger and Famine are the same thing, and Terry Pratchett has War, Death, Pestilence, and Famine, so that's good enough for me.

Elvenshae on
    edited December 2009
    WIKIPEDIA WILL RESCUE US

Hm

Looks like it's War, Famine, Death, and the last one has a bunch of names: Pestilence, Conquest, Righteousness, Evil

Weird

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    edited December 2009
    So the fourth position is taken up by a bunch of part timers. Gotcha.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
    edited December 2009
    Wikipedia wrote:
    This interpretation replaces Conquest with Pestilence, which is portrayed as a distinct entity (separate from Famine and Death). The first horseman to appear is Pestilence, who rides upon a white horse. In the wake of Pestilence comes War, riding a large, wild red horse and wielding a tremendous sword. In the wake of War, due to immense destruction because of War and Pestilence, is Famine. Famine is portly, and rides upon a black, sickly horse; this represents gluttony and hunger, respectively. And in the wake of Famine comes Death. His horse is stark pale. He is followed by Hades and carries the remaining souls to their final destinations.

It is this interpretation which is most commonly used as the basis for pop culture's uses of the Four Horsemen concept.

So I was right!

Everyone make a note: I was totally right

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    edited December 2009
    I prefer Pestilence as far as naming goes, but Conquest seems more accurate given the description in The Bible. And renaming Famine as Fury? Lame.

So it's War, Fury, Strife, and Death? They all sound generically delicious.

Renzo on
    edited December 2009
    On my steed, Ruin, and with my sword, Chaoseater, I, War, shall strike thee down!

....stop it. Stop laughing. No, seriously. Stop.

You guysssss, come onnnnnn... I was supposed to be the badass this time, you're ruining it.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
    edited December 2009
    Davoid wrote: »
    So the fourth position is taken up by a bunch of part timers. Gotcha.

Ha.

Chance on
    edited December 2009
    On my steed, Ruin, and with my sword, Chaoseater, I, War, shall strike thee down!

I do like that the horse is named Ruin. But I will eat my dinner if the sword is called Chaoseater.

Renzo on
    edited December 2009
    Renzo wrote: »

I do like that the horse is named Ruin. But I will eat my dinner if the sword is called Chaoseater.

I might be confusing this with Dante's inferno.

google... Nope!

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=chaoseater+sword&meta=&aq=f&oq=

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
    edited December 2009

I might be confusing this with Dante's inferno.

google... Nope!

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=chaoseater+sword&meta=&aq=f&oq=

Hahaha holy shit

Even so, this looks like a pretty sweet game.

Renzo on
    edited December 2009
    Apparently it isn't giant enough, as it upgrades by GETTING BIGGER throughout the game

Ah ha ha ha ha ha!
    Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Izanagi-OkamiIzanagi-Okami Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Apparently it isn't giant enough, as it upgrades by GETTING BIGGER throughout the game

Ah ha ha ha ha ha!

So it's actually Ginormo Sword + Zelda? If so that's amazing.

Izanagi-Okami on
  • SyrionusSyrionus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Well, if thats what we have to do to get you to eat your dinner young man, then so be it.

Your sword is called Chaoseater.

Syrionus on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

Ah ha ha ha ha ha!

So it's actually Ginormo Sword + Zelda? If so that's amazing.

FUCK YOU, DON'T POST THAT LINK

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited December 2009
    God DAMMIT I have so much work to finish don't even suggest ginormo sword right now. Wait a week or two.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You know you want to play it, it's so much fun leveling up and making your sword bigger and more powerful and getting shit.
    Fuck you, if I'm going down I'm taking someone with me

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited December 2009
    I prefer Pestilence as far as naming goes, but Conquest seems more accurate given the description in The Bible. And renaming Famine as Fury? Lame.

So it's War, Fury, Strife, and Death? They all sound generically delicious.

Yeah, if you're gonna do the Four Horsemen angle, you need to go whole hog with it

You can't just rename them however you want, that's dumb

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg