As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cross-Country Supertrip 2007

• JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'd say if we're already going to be flying flags, why not two pennant-sized flags?

One general CCST/Pirate banner and the other a similar-themed-but-individually-created design beneath it?

Then again having just one CCST banner would make things easier logistics wise I think. We could have one person get the design made up at where it would be cheapest and ship them out to all group leaders.

And as an aside about the CCST itself - I'm in a fairly rural place as is, so finding gamers alone is hard enough. I think I'm going to end up having a bit of a tough time finding a vehicle-full of people to head to PAX with. It's slightly possible I could get some friends to go, but not likely.

Given the way the posts have seemed, the CCST is more of a caravan than a giant carnival that just picks up whoever wants to go out of the towns they go through. I can see the logic behind it of course, but I admit I was mistaken when I first saw the post. I assume it's not a rock-hard rule that no one joins vehicles partway through the trip?

This isn't a desperation plea yet of course, as for all I know a wave of people from my area could be looking for another passenger, but just something I thought about in a worst-case scenario.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2007
    It's not a die-hard rule, so much as how it has worked in the past. Last year we had a considerable number of people who wanted to join up, but without any way out on their own. While it is certainly possible for you to joint a car from further east than you, it becomes complicated if they come from too far away, as most people try to fill their cars before they leave their home state for gas reasons. Also, the fact that we're not running through South Dakota this year makes getting a ride en route problamatical because you'd have to get to the waypoint before the CCST and wait for your ride a considerable distance from home. If you manage to locate people, not necessarily in your immediate area, but somebody who would have to make the same trip north to meet us, that would probably be your best bet for finding a ride.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm confident my vehicle can make short jaunts. It's just a vehicle that's not too comfortable for more than 2 people and on a trip all the way to Seattle I wouldn't put too much trust in it, not even considering the lack of room for luggage for 3 people. Factor in its poor gas mileage and that's quite a few reasons why I'd rather hitch a ride with someone else.

I intended to mention it my post above, but I know people in both Bismarck and Fargo so my vehicle sitting around somewhere over the weekend wouldn't be a problem. And like the person who can't drive at all I'd be willing to pitch in more for gas in the event that I'd have to hitch a ride with people who started the super-trip from somewhere before whichever town I'd end up getting picked up at.

Again, I'll spare going into too many details as this could all turn out to be pointless when August rolls around, but just bringing it up now to start checking lists before it's crunch time.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
    edited February 2007
    Nothing wrong with some list checking and such. This is less of a reply to your post and more of a reply to your sig. I recommend you fill that space with our CCST sig-sized banner, like you see in my sig (muahahaha). Actually, that's for anybody who wants to use it. Also, if you are going to use it, please download the image and upload it into your photo-sharing place of choice. Photobucket would destroy me if everybody was drawing their sig from the same place.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• XylianaXyliana Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I would be flying in from london although I would love to tag along to one of these. I fear for the lives of american drivers if I am behind the wheel but would love to take part if I can find a crew :P

Xyliana on
  • ArghetlamArghetlam Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Xyliana wrote:
    I would be flying in from london although I would love to tag along to one of these. I fear for the lives of american drivers if I am behind the wheel but would love to take part if I can find a crew :P

If things end up going my way, I may end up flying to a waypoint and picking up the CCST from there, so I don't see where there would be a problem with someone flying in from across the pond and joining up. Then again, I don't run the thing, so don't take my word for it :P

Just remember. . .right side of the road.

Arghetlam on
    "Music trancends time." - Dave Wakeley
    "When pirates and ninjas fight, everyone wins." -Tycho
    The new, improved One Shots Website
    Proud Wardriver from the Cross Country Super Trip '06!
    Proud Iron Smogger for 2008
  • XylianaXyliana Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Nah I am american, have a american drivers permit its just been about 6 years since I have been on that side of the road

If I can get the time of work (going to a Eve Tokyo meet a few weeks after PAX) and can find a carpool then I am all for it :P

Xyliana on
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hell, make it a round-the-world trip. East to west coast by car, fly to Tokyo, then London. That would be bad ass.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
    edited February 2007
    ctishman wrote:
    Hell, make it a round-the-world trip. East to west coast by car, fly to Tokyo, then London. That would be bad ass.

That would be the most bad ass thing anybody ever did, ever. Especially if Arghetlam flys east and goes with you (then we'd just need an extra driver and you've got yourselves a team).

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• randomguyrandomguy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    this will truly be a super trip.

randomguy on
    "i ate your babies princess."
  • lordthandalordthanda Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Look I'm all for the super trip, and if you wanna do it, you're absolutely welcome. If you're flying from London already though, wouldn't it just be easier to go on to Seattle?

That said, yeah, come on along, we'd love to have you on the CCST! It's already international, now it can be inter-continental!

lordthanda on
    -LT the BP
    PASig.gif
    edited February 2007
    Okay, I've come across a small issue in the new forums here that may cause some confusion when I get to editing. There's a 100,000 character limit per post, the CCST main post is something of the order of 160,000. Now while this means that the post can be left to itself with no ill effects, I can't edit it without splitting it, and I can't split it into a second post without either moving that to a lower post or to the end here. So until I come up with a good solution, keep your eyes on the CCST site for the latest, most up-to-date information about the Supertrip.

Also, on a lighter note, we're going to attempt something new this year. It has been brought to my attention that the westernmost Jimmy Johns is in Fargo, ND, about a half mile away from our waypoint there. Jimmy Johns also has a custom online ordering system for catering. In their catering menu, they have these lunch platter things that can be customized to your heart's desire. Our plan, is to place our order online ahead of time so that our lunch will be tasty, and ready when we get to Fargo. What do you guys think about all this madness, because I think it sounds like a good lunch before we drive across what will probably be the most boring state on our journey this year.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ChizzerChizzer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    w00t we're back!

Chizzer on
  • CheetoCheeto Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Damn if only I could figure out how far away fuckin Du Bois, PA is from me.

Cheeto on
    Geebs is a dick and made me change my sig.
    Batman_Sig_by_Merit13.jpg
    edited February 2007
    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2007
    O snap I checked out a google map and that is a damn far drive!

Cheeto on
    edited February 2007
    Well, where the hell are you? I mean, shit, it's a 2 day drive to begin with.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2007
    I'm located in Reading, Pennsylvania

Cheeto on
    edited February 2007
    Best advice I have is get some friends to go, maybe look for other forumers within 50 miles of yourself, but any gamers will do if you explain to them the scope of what PAX is. Make sure at least one of you has a car or is able to rent one, and make sure you have at least 2, preferably 3, people who can drive and be at the Du Bois waypoint before the scheduled arrival time. Also, staying in contact with the people you're meeting helps too.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2007
    Any tips on meeting forumers within 50 miles other than asking in random threads?

Cheeto on
    edited February 2007
    Well, Deiru has already expressed an interest in going and lives in Hazleton, PA which is almost exactly 50 miles away from you. You should check out that main post.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• DeiruDeiru Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Update:
    I'll be renting a Ford Freestar (or equivalent minivan).
    I'm meeting up with the supertrip at DuBois, PA.
    I have room for 4 riders, however I have one potentially confirmed rider.
    The cost per person to ride with me will be about $256.45.
    I will also need at least one other driver.

My AIM screenname is deiru

Deiru on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm trying to join up with this for 2007, but no guarantees. I'll know for sure by late June.

I'd like to drive, and hope to borrow/buy my mom's 2002 Dodge Caravan. Seats 7 max, 5 comfortably (if there's 3 big dudes in back, they're going to be squished together).

I would be coming from Omaha, Nebraska, probably to the North Dakota waypoint. This van went all the way to Arizona from here and suffered no ill effects, so it should be good for the road.

Like I already said, no absolute 100% guarantee, I will know by late June, but something to consider as an alternate plan for riders.

Also, I'm kind of sad you guys aren't going anywhere near Nebraska this time, I was hoping in the case that I couldn't go anyway, that I could treat you guys to a mid-trip pitstop meal.

FyreWulff on
  • DeiruDeiru Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Update, including hotel information:

I'll be renting a Ford Freestar (or equivalent minivan).
    I'm meeting up with the supertrip at DuBois, PA.
    I have one confirmed rider with room left for 3 people.
    The cost per person to ride with me will be about $256.45.
    I will also need at least one other driver.

Hotel accommodations are for 4 people, total, so at least one person who rides with me will have to make other arrangements. That one person will only have to pay for the trip! Otherwise, add $168 to the trip, making the total amount $424.45. This covers the cost of the trip as well as the cost of the room. Any questions? My AIM screenname is deiru

Deiru on
  • MattyPMattyP Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Just want to check in to the new forums here, everything looks as it should...still can't go into SE++ at school due to the high chance of me bursting out in laughter in the middle of class...

Anyway, I'd just like to get confirmation from you, Andy/Qs23, that you are indeed able to bear my load for the trip to South Bend (or all the way to PAX). I'd like to have everything confirmed before I start following through with what's happening. Dave/lordthanda appears to be the only other one riding with you. Unless you have a two seater I think it should work out fine. :)

...And if you DO have a two-seater...

...I'll squeeze myself into the trunk. :P

Also, Moe, I set up my MSN in my profile, if anyone else would like to contact me. My email is also in my post on page two. I don't mind you listing it anywhere, gmail seems to have an excellent spam filter; even if it does get through, I'll filter it myself. If anyone has a spare seat available at South Bend, please inform me so I have a backup incase Andy can't bear my load all the way to PAX.

MattyP on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    MattyP wrote: »
    Just want to check in to the new forums here, everything looks as it should...still can't go into SE++ at school due to the high chance of me bursting out in laughter in the middle of class...

Anyway, I'd just like to get confirmation from you, Andy/Qs23, that you are indeed able to bear my load for the trip to South Bend (or all the way to PAX). I'd like to have everything confirmed before I start following through with what's happening. Dave/lordthanda appears to be the only other one riding with you. Unless you have a two seater I think it should work out fine. :)

...And if you DO have a two-seater...

...I'll squeeze myself into the trunk. :P

Also, Moe, I set up my MSN in my profile, if anyone else would like to contact me. My email is also in my post on page two. I don't mind you listing it anywhere, gmail seems to have an excellent spam filter; even if it does get through, I'll filter it myself. If anyone has a spare seat available at South Bend, please inform me so I have a backup incase Andy can't bear my load all the way to PAX.

Actually NoClueWhatYourActualNameIs/MattyP, right now it looks like Dave/lordthanda is going to be supplying the automobile. The reason right now is that I'm driving an '83 caddy which can barely do 70 and gets around 17 mpg on the highway, and has a nice electrical problem with the headlights and randomly turning on and off. So he would be considered "driver". But I seem to love to drive, and would have no problem driving the '83 caddy up to Port Huron to pick ya up and taking ya back to the Ann Arbor area for the official start of our CCST. Now I know that even if we had a full car, we would have no problem taking ya to South Bend to meet up with the rest of the gang.
    The rest of the way, I have no clue. The reason is that Dave/lordthanda doesn't know what car/van he's going to have for the trip or how many people we're going to have. ::stares in his general direction:: So until we've got confirmed numbers, I can't give ya a confirmed yea/nay.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited February 2007
    My name's Matt, as shown in the first post. :P

For the start of the CCST, either way is fine. If Dave doesn't want to make the run to Port Huron, then we can maybe see about setting up a good time for you to pick me up. :)

But yea, don't reserve a spot for me quite yet. My father is showing resistance of my plans. (I might just have to go ahead and do it anyway, if he says no)

MattyP on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2007
    And, the first problem arises. . .

My friend is planning his wedding for the 25th of August. What this means is that PAX may or may not be an impossibility, but since we'll be arriving on the 22nd. . .I'll still drive with you blokes.

Given, that means that I'll probably drive up, hang 'till the 24th, drive/fly back for said wedding on the 25th, skip the reception, then drive/fly back - still in tux - and be back in time for. . .well, something.

As far as flying east, I've got several different IT businesses looking over my resumes, so, assuming I can find a car in the east, I don't see a problem with that. Either way, though, I'll definitely be making the drive up, even if it kills me.

Arghetlam on
  • 1up1up Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm trying to decide to fly or go with this trip. It would be me and my girlfriend coming from Maple Shade NJ. The prices for roundtrip airline tickets look to be about $300s. I'm also gonna need to speak to my girlfriend about riding in a car with a lot of guys hahaha.

Shes a big PA fan too though so I dont think she would mind. Its also a Nissan Versa if I'm not mistaken, and thats Hiro's car! :D

1up on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited February 2007
    So I was bored in my class today, so this is what I did.

I know that last year most of the cars along the trip were filled to the brim when they started out. Our car included. It’s a lot easier to figure out the gas and such with a full car. But I’m writing this to those people who are looking of joining the CCST but don’t have a car. It’s still feasible… and cheaper… and funner (sp?) to drive to PAX with other people then to fly out there. Yes, there is a time constraint. But if you’ve got the spare time, I’d say go for it.

Now first off is to find a car that needs people. There are a lot of them out there. The sooner ya find a ride, the better. But also we’ve still got 150+ days till PAX, so a lot of things are still up in the air. I have no clue who’s going with our group and what car/van we’re going to take. But lets say ya find somebody who’s looking for a body to fill a seat.

Next, ya need to work out the payment. Now you two can work it out however you want. (Sex, Drugs, Rock & Roll, etc.) But most people would just worry about gas money. And there are two ways to go about it.

#1. Pay for your seat the entire trip. Even if you’re not going to be riding for the whole trip, your space in the car is going to needed to be reserved for you when you do ride. It’s easy to figure out the cost, because you’re paying for part of the entire trip. Total cost divided by total number of people.

#2. Pay for only the amount of the trip that you’re in the car. Now this is a little trickier because there are a couple of more variables. But I’ve gone and done some simple calculations. I’ve figured out what the total percentage of the cost would be if you picked up 1 rider for half the trip. The first percentage is percent of total cost for the rider and the second is the percent of total cost for the rest of the people in the car going from 1 person to 8 people.

(Note: These are rough numbers)
    1 & 1: 25% / 75%
    1 & 2: 16% / 41%
    1 & 3: 12% / 29%
    1 & 4: 10% / 22%
    1 & 5: 8% / 18%
    1 & 6: 7% / 15%
    1 & 7: 6% / 13%
    1 & 8: 5% / 11%

So take from this what ya want.

Side note: I know that the people on the trip last year found out that I analyzed the trip to death. I actually had set-up an excel spreadsheet to keep track of driver shifts, avg speed, estimated arrival times, MPG, etc. And I’m doing it again this year. The only reason I’m doing it is that I want to make sure that we get this as organized as possible so we can get other people to notice us and want to join us for a very awesome road trip. So if you have any questions at all about any aspect of the road trip, feel free to ask it here. I’ll gladly help anybody out.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited February 2007
    1up wrote: »
    I'm trying to decide to fly or go with this trip. It would be me and my girlfriend coming from Maple Shade NJ. The prices for roundtrip airline tickets look to be about $300s. I'm also gonna need to speak to my girlfriend about riding in a car with a lot of guys hahaha.

Shes a big PA fan too though so I dont think she would mind. Its also a Nissan Versa if I'm not mistaken, and thats Hiro's car! :D

Actually, I haven't gotten to updating that one yet, but the vehicle leaving New Jersey has been updated to a van, mini for now, unless we can come up with enough people to fill it out to 9.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2007
    Hey so this was just borught to my attention on the hotel forums, but I think it would very good to point this out here.
    BigRed wrote: »
    Yes everyone is going to have to pay for parking.

Which really hurts if you are parking at the hotel or WSCTC.

at the hotel its anywhere between $25 and $28 a day. At the WSCTC Its $24 a day.

I highly recommend you park a block away or so at one of the many parking structures around seattle.

I think we need to start looking for where to park the caravan...

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited February 2007
    Either way, I'm probably gonna have room for another two; one in shotgun and one stretched across the backseat. The Maxima doesn't have a ton of space in the back and I'm a big guy regardless, but if I end up with either a 240 SX or a 300 ZX, that's close to no room for the poor bloke/s stuck in the back seat.

Long story short - I'll have two open spots.

Also, my buddy DragonFyre might be willing to pony up his '93 Dodge Caravan (Nicknamed Akai/The Red Calamity) and cart a few people over. He's still up in the air, though, so don't count him in quite yet.

Arghetlam on
  • ChizzerChizzer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    New information for Knight Rider team :D

1) Instead of meeting in Avon, OH we will likely meet you guys along the next stop in South Bend.
    2) Still don't know what car I will be driving. My current lease us up in June, so I'll know closer to then.
    3) Probably have 3 people in my car now. May end up with one more soon.

Chizzer on
    edited February 2007
    This whole "job" thing looks like it's gonna pan out, so if you guys back east could keep your eyes open for either a Nissan 240 SX or a 300 ZX, that would make me really happy.

Arghetlam on
    edited February 2007
    Well, it looks like we've got a new group here, I added them to the People section on the first page already, but here's there info again:
    Group Leader: Alan Fluck
    Waypoint: Du Bois, PA
    Vehicle: 1998 Chrysler Sebring Convertible, around 22-25 MPG, around 300 MPT
    Other Riders: Drew, Greg, Ray

Since forum registration is still closed due to the update, Alan is currently unable to post, but most likely will once registration is open again.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2007
    Good news everybody!
    Okay, it's not as awesome as some of you are thinking, but it's still good. I just switched cellular providers to Verizon, and away from Revol. For those of you who don't live in NE Ohio, Revol is our crappy, month-to-month unlimited cell service that doesn't work outside of the area. What does this mean for you? It means that you won't have to get ahold of Spook if you need to talk to me this year. That's right, I'll have a direct line at PAX. It also means that you guys won't need to track me down when Spook is trying to find me (you know who you are). Hoorays for me!

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hooray! Now I can call and harass you toll free!

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
    edited February 2007
    Hah, that reminds me: have to check what roaming charges might apply on my cell phone... *Chalks it up on To-Do list*

Anyway, Dave, I'd just like to reserve my seat now if you do still have room. However, if anyone else asks to ride with you, tell them that they'll be in if I can't make it. I do have a high chance of this happening, despite what objections my father may have of me doing this. I suppose that me being whisked away to a land of fantastical whimsy and wonderment by some people I met over the internet isn't his idea of a safe thing to do.

...Then again, it isn't my idea of a safe thing to do either; but it's not like I really have a choice. :P

MattyP on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I think it came up last year that text messaging is still the regular fee everywhere?

b0wser on
This discussion has been closed.