As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cross-Country Supertrip 2007

• Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    MattyP wrote: »
    Hah, that reminds me: have to check what roaming charges might apply on my cell phone... *Chalks it up on To-Do list*

Anyway, Dave, I'd just like to reserve my seat now if you do still have room. However, if anyone else asks to ride with you, tell them that they'll be in if I can't make it. I do have a high chance of this happening, despite what objections my father may have of me doing this. I suppose that me being whisked away to a land of fantastical whimsy and wonderment by some people I met over the internet isn't his idea of a safe thing to do.

...Then again, it isn't my idea of a safe thing to do either; but it's not like I really have a choice. :P

MattyP, I'm the guy you should be talkin to, Dave doesn't check this board really all that much. (In fact, he's the webmaster at rapodcast.net - a podcast site that we run - and he doesn't check those forums either.)

Now the one major question that we've got is the fact that are we just taking your from Port Huron to South Bend, or are you looking for us to take ya all the way? Because we have no prob craming you into the car that we're going to be using again this year for the trip down to South Bend, but I'm not too sure if it would be the best to have ya crammed in there for 50 hours.

Moe, do ya think we might have room in the van for Matt?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2007
    We might, I can't commit for sure until raides gets back from Europe at the end of this week, as he's the one who will be renting the van. However, I think this is very possible

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    MattyPMattyP Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Well, if you don't have the space to carry me all the way to PAX then that's cool. I'll just see about getting into another car when we hit South Bend. But if it turns out you do have space, that's just awesome. Don't worry about cramming me in either, I've probably been through worse. :P

Also, b0wser, cell phone typing gives me finger cramps. :wink:

MattyP on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Just as an afterthought, but might someone have space for an extra body in their hotel room? Floor sleeping is fine for me, as long as nobody rolls off the bed and lands on me. :P

Otherwise, I'll just rent my own room and find people to fill it. Darn those single king rooms filled fast. D:

MattyP on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    This thread may suit your needs.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »
    This thread may suit your needs.

You took the words right off of my screen.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Your Montana waypoints should be further north.

I say this out of a self-serving desire without any knowledge of what the Interstates in Montana are actually like.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    You could always drive south to meet us...

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So, I'm seriously considering doing this, there's only one snag. I know of no one in WI interested in going to PAX. My car is more than capable of the trip, and awesome to boot. The only catch for other drivers is it's a manual transmission.

So, Wisconsinite PAXgoers, capable of driving stick and need a ride? I have an '03 Jetta and can comfortably seat three more people. I don't know exactly what kind of mileage it gets on the highway, but it should be good, since I get 25mpg or so doing pizza delivery in town.

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    ArghetlamArghetlam Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So, I'm seriously considering doing this, there's only one snag. I know of no one in WI interested in going to PAX. My car is more than capable of the trip, and awesome to boot. The only catch for other drivers is it's a manual transmission.

So, Wisconsinite PAXgoers, capable of driving stick and need a ride? I have an '03 Jetta and can comfortably seat three more people. I don't know exactly what kind of mileage it gets on the highway, but it should be good, since I get 25mpg or so doing pizza delivery in town.

I'm thinking about flying east to do some hardcore CCST driving. I've got a couple different offers in mind, but I'll take yours into consideration.

As far as driving stick goes, I don't *drive* stick. I make sweet, sweet five speed love.

Arghetlam on
    "Music trancends time." - Dave Wakeley
    "When pirates and ninjas fight, everyone wins." -Tycho
    The new, improved One Shots Website
    Proud Wardriver from the Cross Country Super Trip '06!
    Proud Iron Smogger for 2008
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

I, and possibly a friend, will be looking to join up with someone around Fargo, ND for the CCST. Neither of us would have any qualms about splitting for the extra gas on your solo leg of the trip. He doesn't want his vehicle to get that many miles on it since he just bought and my vehicle would be lucky to make it there and back without incident - so renting or hitching a ride are what we'd be looking for.

Something to keep in mind as you plan, at the very least.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Okay people, I've made an update to the People post on page 1. Note the change in format for the infolist. A webpage update is coming soon, but I have to work in 90 minutes and don't have time to immediately take care of it. Expect it soon though (possibly tonight!).

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited March 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    Your Montana waypoints should be further north.

I say this out of a self-serving desire without any knowledge of what the Interstates in Montana are actually like.

MT.JPG

Does that help at all? The thick yellow lines are the interstate. That means 70 mph speed limit. The thin yellow lines are US routes. which means 55 mph speed limit.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Leg 10 - Billings, MT to Butte, MT
    Departure Point: Flying J Travel Plaza, 2775 Old Hardin Rd. Billings, MT 59101
    Departure Time: Thursday, August 23, 0:00 MDT
    Travel Distance/Time: 231 miles/3h30m
    Arrival Point: Kum & Go, 1759 S Montana St. Butte, MT 59701
    Arrival Time: Thursday, August 23, 03:30 MDT
    Downtime: 1 hour

leg10.jpg

also...

People Who Need Rides

Name: Alex (Etherus Crosswind)
    First Waypoint:
    Butte, MT (MT3)
    Driving?: unknown
    E-Mail: on file
    IM: MSN on file
    Cell: on file

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited March 2007
    For the off-chance that anyone would actually know, would I be able to walk across the Blue Water Bridge? You know, so I don't have to take a cab or something...

Also, apparently I'm riding with you, Moe? Oh wait, that's probably starting at South Bend, isn't it?
    When does Xaksei get on, Qs23? Don't want to crowd the car or anything for the trip to South Bend...

El Edito: Whoops, I need to get mauled by a bear...

MattyP on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    For the off-chance that anyone would actually know, would I be able to walk across the Blue Water Bridge? You know, so I don't have to take a cab or something...

Also, apparently I'm riding with you, Moe? Oh wait, that's probably starting at South Bend, isn't it?
    When does Xaksei get on, Qs23? Don't want to crowd the car or anything for the trip to South Bend...

El Edito: Whoops, I need to get mauled by a bear...

Whoa... whoa... slow down there yogi...

Let's work backwards from the end.

Xaksei is a local friend of thanda and myself, so he's going to be in our car from the very beginning. There were 3 of us in the car that we used last year, and we're thinking of using the same car over again this year. So we're going to go with 3 people again. The car is no prob taking 4 people short distances. But for a cross country trip like this, 4 people over the long haul would suck. But since Moe has got the van and he's got room, it works alot better then our car. But just from Ann Arbor to South Bend... no prob bob.

now crossing the BWB (Blue Water Bridge) on foot... I actually remember taking a photo of the welcome to michigan sign on our way back into the country on the north bridge (there are actually two of them) and I don't see any sidewalks.

But here is the contact info I pulled of the BWBA site in case you wanted to call them and double check (I think it would be an international call for me) :

Blue Water Bridge Authority, 1 Bridge Street, Point Edward, Ontario, Canada N7V 4J5
    Phone: (519) 336-2720 Fax: (519) 336-7622
    Toll Department open 24 hours Phone: (519) 337-8721

But I've been planning on getting a Passport at sometime... so I guess I might as well get one now so that I can pick your Canadian butt up in Canada.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Hey, woah, it's no problem getting over the bridge, walking or not. I was going to ask a friend's dad, who actually works on the bridge. The number is just as good, probably better. Thanks. :)

If it turns out that I can't walk across the bridge, then I'll just take a cab. Not much of a problem, only about $15 extra for me. As for the passport, get one if you want: I'll need mine in either case.

MattyP on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Okay peoples, I have updated the CCST site with all the new freshness of this thread, plus a citrus blast. Seriously though, I updated it. Also there will be an outage on the CCST site (no not this thread) on March 9, when our server will be moved to a new location.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited March 2007
    Hey, woah, it's no problem getting over the bridge, walking or not. I was going to ask a friend's dad, who actually works on the bridge. The number is just as good, probably better. Thanks. :)

If it turns out that I can't walk across the bridge, then I'll just take a cab. Not much of a problem, only about $15 extra for me. As for the passport, get one if you want: I'll need mine in either case.

Ok, in my really bad stupidness, I mis-read the rules about the need of a passport after January. It seems that if you're traveling by plane... you need your passport already. But if you're driving, then you don't need one till Jan 2008. So MattyP, screw paying the cab, I'm going to get ya myself and also grab me a bottle of duty free whiskey while I'm at it.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Although I just found out that you CAN walk across the bridge, if you really are voluntarily offering to pick me up, that would be plain awesome. I read about the January 2008 thing too, but I would rather have my papers in order while I stay in the US, not to mention I'll have my papers ready for whenever I start needing them.

Also, I believe there's some law on duty-free alcohol. It may be for a large amount though, so I wouldn't be too worried. Worst that could happen is that you have to pay duty on it. :)

MattyP on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Although I just found out that you CAN walk across the bridge, if you really are voluntarily offering to pick me up, that would be plain awesome. I read about the January 2008 thing too, but I would rather have my papers in order while I stay in the US, not to mention I'll have my papers ready for whenever I start needing them.

Also, I believe there's some law on duty-free alcohol. It may be for a large amount though, so I wouldn't be too worried. Worst that could happen is that you have to pay duty on it. :)

Yeah the rule is that you can bring a liter back with having to pay duty... so a liter is what I shall get.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ok, so my first post here. i LOVE roadtrips. and i really wanna be in the ccst, but i live very close to seattle. i know some of you guys share rides, so i have an idea, if anybody would be up for this. i get free flight benefits from my dad, so i'd love to fly out east and ride with someone else on the way to pax, just as a way to be in the ccst. i promise i don't smell bad, and am a professional driver (so i could help take some of the burden), and i also have a cigarette outlet powered gamecube with mini-monitor! is there anyone coming from out east who's got an open spot who wouldn't mind picking me up from the closest airport and letting me join in on the trip?

[edit]also, i should mention, if you let me ride with you, you can crash at my place upon arrival, and get free board and parking!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    For those of you who may be wondering, the CCST site is currently offline because they are moving the hardware our site is stored on. We shouldn't be down for more than a day or two, so don't worry.

[edit: okay, it's back up now]

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ChizzerChizzer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    NEWS~!

I have booked the hotel for my group! We have 3/4 seats of my car filled!
    All signs point to awesome!

Chizzer on
  • Options
    teamquigganteamquiggan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Chizzer wrote: »
    NEWS~!

I have booked the hotel for my group! We have 3/4 seats of my car filled!
    All signs point to awesome!

Its true, for life!

teamquiggan on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm actually kinda tempted to get in on the CCST. I'm in Terre Haute, IN, so I could meet up at the South Bend, IN, stop easily.

I don't know anybody, though... will I get raped and left on the roadside for dead? (j/k)

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    ChizzerChizzer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    LCDXX wrote: »
    I'm actually kinda tempted to get in on the CCST. I'm in Terre Haute, IN, so I could meet up at the South Bend, IN, stop easily.

I don't know anybody, though... will I get raped and left on the roadside for dead? (j/k)

Only if we meet! *ahem*
    I mean... of course not.

Chizzer on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

What do you mean you don't know anybody... on the CCST everybody is a gamer... and everybody loves PA enough to drive cross country. We had a couple of people that didn't "know" anybody last year, and still had a ball.

On a side note... Hi, my name is Qs23... I'm a cancer and I like long walks on the beach...

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Even if you don't know anybody before the trip, you certainly will afterwards!

Seriously, gamers are great people, and Supertrippers are great even by gamer standards. They won't leave you.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

come on, the odds of that happening can't be more than 75%!! seriously though, I live in issaquah, right near seattle, but am flying to the east coast just to get in on the trip. i highly recommend doing it. you should check out the ccst site and look for passengers/drivers to team up with. i imagine it'd suck to go solo.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It's physically impossible to go solo, take my word on this one. This drive is a straight shot west, and without at least a second driver, you won't make it. Not trying to discourage anybody or anything, but it is something that should be noted and taken to heart when planning your CCST good times.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited March 2007
    It's physically impossible to go solo, take my word on this one. This drive is a straight shot west, and without at least a second driver, you won't make it. Not trying to discourage anybody or anything, but it is something that should be noted and taken to heart when planning your CCST good times.
    careful, somebody could take this as a challenge! it can be done, although very difficult (and it probably would be impossible to do it and enjoy pax afterwards). when i moved to seattle from cincinnati, oh, i drove myself and made it in about 2 days. doing 100 all the way through montana certainly helped, though!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Don't get me wrong, I drove to California in 56 hours, but those were straight shifts with 2 8-hour breaks in between. However, the pace the CCST keeps doesn't allow the luxury for 8-hour stops or hotels or driving 100 mph through any state (especially since Montana has a speed limit these days). Trust me when I say you should never go it alone with the CCST unless you live within 8 hours (including stops) of Seattle.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited March 2007

I second that. If you're thinking about driving solo, send a pm to Grimblade2401 and ask him about last year's trip. He tried to drive the CCST solo... and it didn't work.

Now I know that different people have different driving styles and tolerances. LordThanda, when he was driving last year, had to have somebody awake with him while he was driving, and could only go for about 8 hours.

While myself... I found out that I am a fucking driving machine. Get a couple of Bawls in me, followed by some doubleshots later, and I can go for hours overnight and till the next morning... followed by an hour nap and then jump right back into driving. Plus I just need my iPod to keep me company.

Basically what I'm saying is that nobody really knows how long that they can last behind the wheel. You might be better then me... but prove it some other time. The last thing we want to do is to show up to pax wearing black armbands... and the death would be quite a dampener to all of PAX.

Now if you are thinking of driving your own car for the CCST, but can't find anybody to ride with you, let Moe know. If you don't mind other people driving your baby, we can easily help ya out... unless it's a stick-shift. (joke from last year)

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Qs23 wrote: »
    While myself... I found out that I am a fucking driving machine. Get a couple of Bawls in me, followed by some doubleshots later, and I can go for hours overnight and till the next morning... followed by an hour nap and then jump right back into driving. Plus I just need my iPod to keep me company.
    lol, i'm the same way. i drove my mom from new york to florida the day after i got my license and stopped twice for 10 minutes each to get gas. never thought i could do that trip like that, but some people are just natural road trippers, people might be surprised.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    lol, i'm the same way. i drove my mom from new york to florida the day after i got my license and stopped twice for 10 minutes each to get gas. never thought i could do that trip like that, but some people are just natural road trippers, people might be surprised.

Dude... I think can one up ya... In MI, you're supposed to have time behind the wheel while you're taking Drivers Training even before I got my license, my parents were making me goto two different summer camps that overlapped. So they picked me up from one in Traverse City, MI and made me drive the 5 hour trip home. then I did some laundry, and then drove down to the bottom corner of Tennessee... Ducktown to be exact.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Dude... I think can one up ya... In MI, you're supposed to have time behind the wheel while you're taking Drivers Training even before I got my license, my parents were making me goto two different summer camps that overlapped. So they picked me up from one in Traverse City, MI and made me drive the 5 hour trip home. then I did some laundry, and then drove down to the bottom corner of Tennessee... Ducktown to be exact.

oh, that's a lie, nobody goes to tennessee willingly! haha, jk, impressive.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    So I'm bringing this question back up again, and Moe if you could find out and mark the answer for each car, that would be awesome.

How many people are going to be driving with a laptop or other comp running in their while they are driving cross country? Cuz I know of at least 2 last year, and I'm wondering if that number is going up or not.

The reason I would love to know this number far in advance would be the fact that Thanda and I (who am I kidding... it's all me...) are trying to work on getting some directional antennas set-up so that we could actually have a 802.11 network set-up while we are driving. It would put the theme of Massive Multiplayer Driving to a whole new level.

Now I really don't know much about wifi and such, but from what I have learned I think that it's possible. But if anybody knows for sure, feel free to chime in. And if anybody has got wifi in their laptop, if you can give me the specs, I would appreciate it so I can see if it's possible to theoretically connect with just the laptop card, or if you would need to get something a little more powerful.

Also how much would people be willing to spend? Cuz with my wireless router, I've found antenna for it that would double the gain for as little as $9 (also has a magnetic base for holding it onto the roof.)

So ya... feel free to respond.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    sounds cool, i'm bringing my macbook. now, are you talking about just linking out laptops, or actually getting wireless internet?

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    sounds cool, i'm bringing my macbook. now, are you talking about just linking out laptops, or actually getting wireless internet?

Right now just linking laptops. Let me look into wireless net access... but I highly doubt it. From my experience last year... once we crossed the Mississippi till we hit the middle of Washington, there was little to no cell service. (Which is why we request people to bring one of those little 2-way radios as a back-up for cell phones) So I have no idea what other options are there.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
This discussion has been closed.