Options

Battlestar Galactica: Xena, Warrior Cylon

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Cavil wrote:
    I have no idea who you're talking about. You might as well have said Kirk Cameron.

It took me a moment as well, but he's talking about an actor, who played Badger (a black market dealer of some sorts, if I recall correctly) on Firefly (the canceled sci-fi show that aired on Fox), who is going to guest star in an upcoming episode of Battlestar Galactica.

Essentially a bit-player from Firefly is going to have a guest spot on BSG.

Invisible on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    [spoiler:a72e6611dd]The nuke tubes aren't that scary. Bearing in mind it's implied the colonials have a lot of military bases and outlying colonies etc, the ability to destroy them from an orbit would be pretty important to have, and you'd want nukes to crack well protected facilities - it's space, there's radiation everywhere so who cares about fallout.

Another point is, I don't know if those tubes are actually designed purely for surface bombardment, seems to me they might just be general nuclear launch tubes. They're side mounted so you could broadside another battlestar and let fly.[/spoiler:a72e6611dd]

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    DeepQantas wrote:
    It's not *that* scary. I mean... unless they got something in their history to top Hiroshima and Nagasaki with. I mean... scary yea, but... not really out of place. :|

Aanyways, is anyone else excited about Badger coming onto the show some time next year? :D

At least that's what I gathered from the long roundtable podcast. Apparently he's playing...
    [realspoiler:9290526872]a lawyer of some sort for, I think it was three episodes? Who's he defending? Baltar?[/realspoiler:9290526872]
    I bet he's a cylon.

Did you ever listen to the BSG roundtable podcast? He was on it. He plays someone named [spoiler:9290526872]Robo Domogin,[/spoiler:9290526872] or something.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    DeepQantasDeepQantas Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    With a name like that I'm hoping it's going to be or something.

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Perdurabo wrote:
    Ant000 wrote:
    BSG Direct to DVD movie?
    Despite declining ratings for Battlestar Galactica on SciFi Channel, nearly universal critical acclaim along with robust DVD sales have led Universal Home Video to consider greenlighting a Battlestar Galactica direct-to-video telefilm, which will presumably air on The SciFi Channel, after debuting on home video, sources tell Geek. If it goes forward, the two hour telefilm will shoot in March during the series hiatus and prior to the commencement of production on the series fourth season in June. While there is no story for the telefilm at present, plans are afoot to come up with a screenplay that doesn’t step on existing continuity for the series, but utilizes most of its existing sets. There is also speculation the telefilm will somehow tie into the mythology for the Galactica spin-off series, Caprica, which has not been officially greenlit by SciFi Channel.

Hmmmm. Personally I'd rather they just put the money into the existing television show so they could avoid filler episodes, and maybe get a better promotional campaign going to increase ratings/viewership and thus advertisement revenue. Direct to video movies are usually trash :(. Who knows though...

The problem is most people download episodes, so advert revenue means nothing. When people start crying out about how this series is going to be cancelled... GO AND WATCH IT WHERE IT MEANS A DAMN.

If this gets cancelled or turned into a tv movie you will all see the remains of the puppy I will pummel
    One problem: unless you have a DVR or a Neilson box, nobody will ever know whether you watch it as it airs or on your computer. There is no fucking way possible for them to track viewership without a device reporting back.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Cavil wrote:
    Cavil wrote:
    Or one of the major cast dying in real life. That would suck balls because they're all so integral to the series. Hell, if we ever lost one of the actors playing a Cylon, that would also blow because you can't really kill them off.
    You could however, have Adama find the Cylon homeworld, and use his shiny new [spoiler:f2fd8ff3c8]orbital bombardment nukes god is there any part of that concept that isn't sexy[/spoiler:f2fd8ff3c8]

That still wouldn't explain how an entire line of only a single model would die out.
    They could go the Rosanne route, and just recast the role. If one of the actors actually died, I think the fans would understand a recasting.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If it was one of the hot cylons, as long as the new actor was also really hot I think I could allow it.

The "previously" thing at the beginning of episodes might be kinda wierd though.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    By the by, when does the season pick back up again?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Jan. 21st

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Perdurabo wrote:
    Ant000 wrote:
    BSG Direct to DVD movie?
    Despite declining ratings for Battlestar Galactica on SciFi Channel, nearly universal critical acclaim along with robust DVD sales have led Universal Home Video to consider greenlighting a Battlestar Galactica direct-to-video telefilm, which will presumably air on The SciFi Channel, after debuting on home video, sources tell Geek. If it goes forward, the two hour telefilm will shoot in March during the series hiatus and prior to the commencement of production on the series fourth season in June. While there is no story for the telefilm at present, plans are afoot to come up with a screenplay that doesn’t step on existing continuity for the series, but utilizes most of its existing sets. There is also speculation the telefilm will somehow tie into the mythology for the Galactica spin-off series, Caprica, which has not been officially greenlit by SciFi Channel.

Hmmmm. Personally I'd rather they just put the money into the existing television show so they could avoid filler episodes, and maybe get a better promotional campaign going to increase ratings/viewership and thus advertisement revenue. Direct to video movies are usually trash :(. Who knows though...

The problem is most people download episodes, so advert revenue means nothing. When people start crying out about how this series is going to be cancelled... GO AND WATCH IT WHERE IT MEANS A DAMN.

If this gets cancelled or turned into a tv movie you will all see the remains of the puppy I will pummel
    One problem: unless you have a DVR or a Neilson box, nobody will ever know whether you watch it as it airs or on your computer. There is no fucking way possible for them to track viewership without a device reporting back.
    The other problem is, the networks in my country have steadfastly refused to actually air the show. Although I now have scifi, they're starting out from the first season, which I have watched into the ground.

On related news, is BSG out on HD-DVD yet?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    CavilCavil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cavil wrote:
    Cavil wrote:
    Or one of the major cast dying in real life. That would suck balls because they're all so integral to the series. Hell, if we ever lost one of the actors playing a Cylon, that would also blow because you can't really kill them off.
    You could however, have Adama find the Cylon homeworld, and use his shiny new [spoiler:34236c3269]orbital bombardment nukes god is there any part of that concept that isn't sexy[/spoiler:34236c3269]

That still wouldn't explain how an entire line of only a single model would die out.
    They could go the Rosanne route, and just recast the role. If one of the actors actually died, I think the fans would understand a recasting.

I dunno. BSG is like a family. One cannot simply "recast" any member of the BSG lineup any more effectively than one could recast an actual sibling or parent.

Cavil on
    Virtue finds and chooses the mean.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    For some reason that statement is making me think of divorces.

This Week's Special Guest Star... :roll:

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Perdurabo wrote:

If you mean illegally downloading, I agree with you. If you mean downloading it through itunes, then it's up to the show to demand a reasonable price for offering the shows online. I'd just pay the $2 and assume that it is a reasonable amount.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    No Cars GoNo Cars Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Has an answer been given as to how many series' BSG will run for, assuming that the viewership will be large enough for it to keep going?

No Cars Go on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    No Cars Go wrote:
    Has an answer been given as to how many series' BSG will run for, assuming that the viewership will be large enough for it to keep going?
    It doesn't have a set number of seasons. Right now, all we know is there will definately be a fourth season.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Septus wrote:
    Perdurabo wrote:

If you mean illegally downloading, I agree with you. If you mean downloading it through itunes, then it's up to the show to demand a reasonable price for offering the shows online. I'd just pay the $2 and assume that it is a reasonable amount.

What's the quality like on iTunes?

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    No Cars Go wrote:
    It doesn't have a set number of seasons. Right now, all we know is there will definately be a fourth season.

I ask because of the 'bible', and the fact that they have a rough idea of how it'll finish.

No Cars Go on
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    DeepQantas wrote:

What's the quality like on iTunes?

That depends on the size of your display, I suppose. I found it better than passable on a 1280x960 laptop display.

Handgimp on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    the Itunes videos are garbage compared to the ones you can get through bit torrent which are pretty much just TIVO'd (or whatever) by people from TV.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Note that Jan 21st is a SUNDAY

As for the nukes

[spoiler:a7eec2c2e6]
    They made it pretty plain that they were seperate from ship to ship nukes in that they were designed for surface fire.. think of a nuclear sub opening its outer missle doors to launch.
    [/spoiler:a7eec2c2e6]

So, were the battlestars created to defend the colonies from the cylons, or was there one created for each colony, for infighting, and THEN used to join up against the cylons.

I'm thinking 'B'

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    RoundBoy wrote:

As for the nukes

[spoiler:8e3ee87259]
    They made it pretty plain that they were seperate from ship to ship nukes in that they were designed for surface fire.. think of a nuclear sub opening its outer missle doors to launch.
    [/spoiler:8e3ee87259]

So, were the battlestars created to defend the colonies from the cylons, or was there one created for each colony, for infighting, and THEN used to join up against the cylons.

I'm thinking 'B'
    Maybe Caprica will cover some of the colony-on-colony war. I mean, it's Moore, I don't see him doing a series where all 12 colonies are all happy with each other. Like some kind of federation.

Also, Caprica, the planet, seems to be featured more prominently than others- might it be a sort of intergalactic America? I'm thinking of rebellions, rep by pop, etc...now that I think of it, there might be some interesting storytelling to do pre-apocalypse.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Caprica is the where the government HQ is located, so it essentially acts as the Capital for all 12 colonies. Picon, however, is where the military HQ, and much of the fleet and personnel are based.

No Cars Go on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    RoundBoy wrote:

As for the nukes

[spoiler:3b21cf7458]
    [/spoiler:3b21cf7458]

I'm thinking 'B'

I'm inclined to go with B, as at the time of the Cylon war there were only 12 Battlestars, presumabley one for each colony. After the war the rest were built, taking the total to 120, the majority if not all of the new ones being mercury class (roughly same as the Pegasus).

No Cars Go on
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    We saw from "Hero" that they had other battlestar types. Pegasus was just the latest in the line. Also, I think the original battlestars must have been for the Cylon War, because it was about that time that they were built. From what we understand, the Cylons were created for labor and military purposes. After they rebelled, the colonies probably had to scramble to set up their own human counter force.

Glyph on
  • Options
    SpaceMonkeySpaceMonkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I got the DVDs for Christmas/my birthday (the two are close together, they tend to mix). So I'm rewatching the series (again), but also going through and enjoying the deleted scenes.

To be honest, I was never a fan of Tigh. Ever. Just didn't like the character (not even sure if I'm supposed to). But in one of the cut scenes from the first or second episode of season 2.0, he changed my opinion quite a bit. It was a flashback scene, and it showed in more detail the first time he and Adama met. Two guys tried to take Tigh down in a bar, but oh man, did he show them how bad an idea that was.

So go buy the DVDs if you haven't yet. Lots of deleted scene goodness.

SpaceMonkey on
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I saw their little reminder about the season coming back quite a few times while watching The Twilight Zone this last Monday, and even though they had the stupid emo music playing, they made it out to be pretty important.

One will die

speculative spoiler:
    [spoiler:ac128aad29]My guess is Dee, while saving Starbuck or something. My hopes are that it'll get rid of her terrible scenes with Lee and the whole love square thing. Also, I could see one of the prominent Cylons (Sharon, Six, the Xena that's heading down to the planet) kicking the bucket in an awesome way perhaps related to the eye of jupiter.[/spoiler:ac128aad29]

One will find earth

" "
    [spoiler:ac128aad29]Interesting, too. I'm wondering whether or not it'll be everyone all at once, just the Cylons as a whole, or just the humans as a whole. Personally, I think any of those options would be too much like New Caprica, and as such I favor something like Baltar and Six find it, or just a couple of characters or something[/spoiler:ac128aad29]

Yeah, so it seems like this season is only going to get better.

And speaking of the dvd's, why did they do the whole season 2 & season 2.5 thing? I bought the first season, but this split just seems greedy.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    [spoiler:660839284d]Except I think that preview also showed Dee making it out alive.[/spoiler:660839284d]

Glyph on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    LavaKnight wrote:
    And speaking of the dvd's, why did they do the whole season 2 & season 2.5 thing? I bought the first season, but this split just seems greedy.
    Perhaps the total season price is a bit inflated, but season 2 is nearly twice as long as season 1.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    LavaKnight wrote:
    Perhaps the total season price is a bit inflated, but season 2 is nearly twice as long as season 1.
    Yeah, and you can buy a normal 24 episode season for usually around $40-50 dollars. A 20 episode season of BSG (bought together) is going to run you somewhere around $70-80 dollars.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Consider yourselves lucky, 24 costs $65 and BSG season 2 $75, or $90 when bought in a pack with season 1, in the UK :(.

No Cars Go on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    Are there any soundtracks for the show?

bombardier on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    bombardier wrote:
    Are there any soundtracks for the show?

There are currently three soundtracks. One for the mini-series, one for season one, and one for season two.

I have seasons one and two. They are delicious.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    Awesome, I really want the opening song from the mini-series right after the space station attack and it's that huge continuous scene going through Galactica.

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Torso Boy wrote:
    RoundBoy wrote:

As for the nukes

[spoiler:31886c320d]
    [/spoiler:31886c320d]

I'm thinking 'B'
    Maybe Caprica will cover some of the colony-on-colony war. I mean, it's Moore, I don't see him doing a series where all 12 colonies are all happy with each other. Like some kind of federation.

Also, Caprica, the planet, seems to be featured more prominently than others- might it be a sort of intergalactic America? I'm thinking of rebellions, rep by pop, etc...now that I think of it, there might be some interesting storytelling to do pre-apocalypse.

Just watched the mini-series again, first scene on the ship, it's mentioned that Galactica was built in the early days of the cylon war, rather than being built before for other, inter-colonial purposes. It's also the ship assigned to Caprica, another reason why the planet is centric to the show.

No Cars Go on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    All Australians, Season 3 may be starting tonight at like 12:45 on ten (7th of January), its not been advertised at all, but the TV guide has "series return" listed, hopefully thats season 3.

Prohass on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    LavaKnight wrote:

In Australia the entire of season 2 (2.0 and 2.5) is sold as one box for 44 bucks, and season 1 is about 35-40. True we had to wait longer, but they should offer a complete package now that the season has aired.

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Prohass wrote:
    All Australians, Season 3 may be starting tonight at like 12:45 on ten (7th of January), its not been advertised at all, but the TV guide has "series return" listed, hopefully thats season 3.

I doubt Sci-fi would risk having their premiere leak onto the internet a full two weeks before televising it to their main audience.

Glyph on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Glyph wrote:
    Prohass wrote:

I doubt Sci-fi would risk having their premiere leak onto the internet a full two weeks before televising it to their main audience.
    It'll be season 2.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Glyph wrote:
    Prohass wrote:

They mean the the beginning of season 3, not episode 12 and beyond.

No Cars Go on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Prohass wrote:
    LavaKnight wrote:

In Australia the entire of season 2 (2.0 and 2.5) is sold as one box for 44 bucks, and season 1 is about 35-40. True we had to wait longer, but they should offer a complete package now that the season has aired.

What what what?! Where? I've only seen the no-extras mini series, no-extras season 1 and 2.0 boxes. Where are you shopping, man?!

desperaterobots on
This discussion has been closed.