Options

Battlestar Galactica: Xena, Warrior Cylon

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    You should shove his Mr. Spock cardboard standee up his ass.
    Amusingly, I do have a friend who owns a Mr. Spock cardboard standee. But it's not the same one. That one loves Battlestar Galactica.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Richy wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    You should shove his Mr. Spock cardboard standee up his ass.
    Amusingly, I do have a friend who owns a Mr. Spock cardboard standee. But it's not the same one. That one loves Battlestar Galactica.

Then take that friend's standee and stuff it up the other friend's ass.

Two birds.

Glyph on
  • Options
    No Cars GoNo Cars Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My minor problem with BSG is related to your Star Trek loving friend's. Their medical capabilities seem very similar to ours currently, surely methods, knowledge and the technology should have advanced significantly, irrespective of the Cylon threat.

No Cars Go on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    No Cars Go wrote:
    My minor problem with BSG is related to your Star Trek loving friend's. Their medical capabilities seem very similar to ours currently, surely methods, knowledge and the technology should have advanced significantly, irrespective of the Cylon threat.
    Actually if you have a look at the list of things Dr Cottle has managed to do during the series, it becomes pretty apparent they actually have some outstanding medical technology. I mean, he does diagnostic imaging, pathology, vaccine synthesis. This is a list of things we normally have dozens of people doing, but it's all fairly straight forward for him. That's indicative of a very high level of automation.

So personally I'd like to say that BSG has a pretty damn accurate representation of future medical technology - it's all subtley better.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    No Cars Go wrote:
    Actually if you have a look at the list of things Dr Cottle has managed to do during the series, it becomes pretty apparent they actually have some outstanding medical technology. I mean, he does diagnostic imaging, pathology, vaccine synthesis. This is a list of things we normally have dozens of people doing, but it's all fairly straight forward for him. That's indicative of a very high level of automation.

So personally I'd like to say that BSG has a pretty damn accurate representation of future medical technology - it's all subtley better.

Yeah, that's pretty much my feeling on the matter too. If you look at the things Cottle is able to accomplish with the staff and facilities available, it's obvious their tech is way ahead of ours.

As opposed to Star Trek, where it seems they basically have magical devices they wave over injuries to both diagnose and treat. That's not advancement, that's a lateral shift into an entirely different reality.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Personally I geek out everytime they do some kind of astrometric observation and describe it in completely accurate terms relating to how you'd actually do it. Like when they were looking at water and Tigh mentions that their visible and X-ray telescopes are looking at nearby star systems to see if they might have water, or when they searched the moon and talked about atmospheric composition being determined by "the spectroscope people".

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So this girl I know, she got a haircut over break. And she told me she basically brought in a picture of Starbuck.

That's kind of badass.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So this girl I know, she got a haircut over break. And she told me she basically brought in a picture of Starbuck.

That's kind of badass.

Wiat, Starbuck has had some pretty ugly hair throughout the series. Some ugly, some hella hot.

Now the question is, where does your friend's hair fall on the spectrum of Starbuck's styles?

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ... let's say, I'd hit it.
    If it was someone else.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Latest attempt to convert someone to BSG:

"Do you watch Battlestar?"
    "Hell no. That shit's cheesy as. Stargate is where it's at."

Despite overwhelming confusion, I press on...

"What do you mean cheesy? Are you talking about the old series?"
    "I don't know. They were scared to use networks incase they got a virus OLOL."

Struggling now, I attempt to appeal to this mans sense of geek:

"But Battlestar has babes! And the virus thing, it's all explained in the show! And robots!"
    "OLOL GET A FIREWALL!"

Sigh. I encourage you to share your stories of other fucking idiots, or successes.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    No Cars GoNo Cars Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've only convinced one person so far t watch BSG, but I myself was only converted 2~ months ago.

It wasn't hard, my friend and I are big Firefly and SG-1 fans, so once he'd watched the mini-series online he bought season one immediately.

My university has a Sci-Fi soc which i'm considering joining for the sole purpose of replacing one of the 2 shows they watch regularly in the main university theatre to BSG.

No Cars Go on
  • Options
    ZalbinionZalbinion Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Personally I geek out everytime they do some kind of astrometric observation and describe it in completely accurate terms relating to how you'd actually do it. Like when they were looking at water and Tigh mentions that their visible and X-ray telescopes are looking at nearby star systems to see if they might have water, or when they searched the moon and talked about atmospheric composition being determined by "the spectroscope people".

Hells yeah, realistic astronomy! Finally we have a sci-fi show that actually respects the intelligence of its audience enough to make an effort to consult experts and maintainm believability.

Zalbinion on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't read BSG forums and was a little surprised to hear there's such vehemence towards a particular episode - Black Market. I can't say I thought twice about the episode when watching through that series; could anyone explain why people dislike it so much compared to the others? Thanks.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My friends recently subjected me to a month-long BSG marathon. We watched the first two seasons, and I must say I LOVE MY FRIENDS NOW.

Also, I Tigh = <3 He's the only non-pirate character to pull off the badass-with-and eyepatch look.

Im a little lost though, since I missed some episodes of season 3... why is Baltar with the cylons, and why is he getting freaky with Xena?

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ..... and why is he getting freaky with Xena?

Have you seen some of those cylons ??

Hint : Feb Playboy issue

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sigh. I encourage you to share your stories of other fucking idiots, or successes.

People will occasionally laugh or smile when I recommend the series, but nothing so over-the-top as dismissing it entirely. You have to cite the awards and critical acclaim. Those things usually don't matter when you're recommending something that seems artsy or 'deep' like an independent film or whatever, but for something with a name like Battlestar Galactica, people take notice because they're caught between their prejudices towards what's popular and their annoyance at critics.

Glyph on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007

When I mention I like BSG they think I'm talking about the old series.

Oh, I have the new Playboy and Tricia has nice tits!

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    RoundBoy wrote:

Have you seen that issue? Is it worth paying $20 for?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't read BSG forums and was a little surprised to hear there's such vehemence towards a particular episode - Black Market. I can't say I thought twice about the episode when watching through that series; could anyone explain why people dislike it so much compared to the others? Thanks.
    It was basically the epitome of everything going wrong with the series at that point (which, admittedly wasn't much). The over-use of the "24 hours earlier" cliche, which had already been used in several episodes prior, the main plot coming to a complete standstill to focus on completely new tertiary characters, a mysterious past introduced for Adama which hadn't been even hinted at before (and never touched on since). Pacing was atrocious, the script was mediocre, and about the only redeeming quality of the episode was [spoiler:0946a527b2]shooting the fucker at the end.[/spoiler:0946a527b2]

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Okay, thanks. The constant use of extended flashbacks and flashforwards did get to me. They're decent dramatic devices when used sparingly, but I don't think they're strong enough - they didn't say enough about the characters that couldn't be done otherwise - to be used that frequently. It lessened the series' realistic feel too, to me. I can't say I mind the overall plot being put on hold for a wee while though - a series needs that kind of episode; plus it's not exactly a time-constrained period we're seeing.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Richy wrote:
    RoundBoy wrote:

I subscribe so I pay about $20 a year of issues. I dont know if its worth paying $20 just for Tricia. Now if they added the other ladies...

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    It was basically the epitome of everything going wrong with the series at that point (which, admittedly wasn't much). The over-use of the "24 hours earlier" cliche, which had already been used in several episodes prior, the main plot coming to a complete standstill to focus on completely new tertiary characters, a mysterious past introduced for Adama which hadn't been even hinted at before (and never touched on since). Pacing was atrocious, the script was mediocre, and about the only redeeming quality of the episode was [spoiler:c5e417298a]shooting the fucker at the end.[/spoiler:c5e417298a]

I really didn't like Hero either. It made no sense.

[spoiler:c5e417298a]Letting Bulldog escape on the chance that he'd find out about Adama's lie and try to kill him is a just a flimsy, almost comical plan. Doesn't sound like something that a race of calculating machines would come up with. I mean, goddamn. At least hide a tracker or nuke in him or something so that as soon as he sets foot in Galactica, bombs away.[/spoiler:c5e417298a]

Glyph on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Glyph wrote:
    It was basically the epitome of everything going wrong with the series at that point (which, admittedly wasn't much). The over-use of the "24 hours earlier" cliche, which had already been used in several episodes prior, the main plot coming to a complete standstill to focus on completely new tertiary characters, a mysterious past introduced for Adama which hadn't been even hinted at before (and never touched on since). Pacing was atrocious, the script was mediocre, and about the only redeeming quality of the episode was [spoiler:19f9428c40]shooting the fucker at the end.[/spoiler:19f9428c40]

[spoiler:19f9428c40]Letting Bulldog escape on the chance that he'd find out about Adama's lie and try to kill him is a just a flimsy, almost comical plan. Doesn't sound like something that a race of calculating machines would come up with. I mean, goddamn. At least hide a tracker or nuke in him or something so that as soon as he sets foot in Galactica, bombs away.[/spoiler:19f9428c40]

[spoiler:19f9428c40]He was brainwashed, though. Probably the Cylons had him set up so that something, anything, would have pushed him over the edge and made him attack Adama.[/spoiler:19f9428c40]

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Richy wrote:
    Glyph wrote:
    It was basically the epitome of everything going wrong with the series at that point (which, admittedly wasn't much). The over-use of the "24 hours earlier" cliche, which had already been used in several episodes prior, the main plot coming to a complete standstill to focus on completely new tertiary characters, a mysterious past introduced for Adama which hadn't been even hinted at before (and never touched on since). Pacing was atrocious, the script was mediocre, and about the only redeeming quality of the episode was [spoiler:f42d4caa98]shooting the fucker at the end.[/spoiler:f42d4caa98]

[spoiler:f42d4caa98]Letting Bulldog escape on the chance that he'd find out about Adama's lie and try to kill him is a just a flimsy, almost comical plan. Doesn't sound like something that a race of calculating machines would come up with. I mean, goddamn. At least hide a tracker or nuke in him or something so that as soon as he sets foot in Galactica, bombs away.[/spoiler:f42d4caa98]

[spoiler:f42d4caa98]He was brainwashed, though. Probably the Cylons had him set up so that something, anything, would have pushed him over the edge and made him attack Adama.[/spoiler:f42d4caa98]

[spoiler:f42d4caa98]Still seems overly-elaborate. The point is to eliminate Galactica and the rest of humanity. Since they obviously had to know the location of the fleet in order to plant their escapee in the first place, you'd think they try for something a little more ambitious. For instance, during Valley of Darkness where they dropped a heavy raider full of a half-dozen Centurions with the idea that they'd blow the crew into space, take control of the battlestar, and then turn its flak guns on the rest of the colonial ships - now that's a fucking plan.[/spoiler:f42d4caa98]

Glyph on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Glyph wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    Glyph wrote:
    It was basically the epitome of everything going wrong with the series at that point (which, admittedly wasn't much). The over-use of the "24 hours earlier" cliche, which had already been used in several episodes prior, the main plot coming to a complete standstill to focus on completely new tertiary characters, a mysterious past introduced for Adama which hadn't been even hinted at before (and never touched on since). Pacing was atrocious, the script was mediocre, and about the only redeeming quality of the episode was [spoiler:e8336b9294]shooting the fucker at the end.[/spoiler:e8336b9294]

[spoiler:e8336b9294]Letting Bulldog escape on the chance that he'd find out about Adama's lie and try to kill him is a just a flimsy, almost comical plan. Doesn't sound like something that a race of calculating machines would come up with. I mean, goddamn. At least hide a tracker or nuke in him or something so that as soon as he sets foot in Galactica, bombs away.[/spoiler:e8336b9294]

[spoiler:e8336b9294]He was brainwashed, though. Probably the Cylons had him set up so that something, anything, would have pushed him over the edge and made him attack Adama.[/spoiler:e8336b9294]

[spoiler:e8336b9294]Still seems overly-elaborate. The idea is to eliminate Galactica and the rest of humanity. Since they obviously had to know the location of the fleet in order to plant their escapee in the first place, you'd think they try for something a little more ambitious.[/spoiler:e8336b9294]

[spoiler:e8336b9294]They tried that in 33, remember? The Cylons followed the fleet around, kept jumping in a strike force, but each time they got close the fleet jumped out before they could attack.[/spoiler:e8336b9294]

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Richy wrote:
    Glyph wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    Glyph wrote:
    It was basically the epitome of everything going wrong with the series at that point (which, admittedly wasn't much). The over-use of the "24 hours earlier" cliche, which had already been used in several episodes prior, the main plot coming to a complete standstill to focus on completely new tertiary characters, a mysterious past introduced for Adama which hadn't been even hinted at before (and never touched on since). Pacing was atrocious, the script was mediocre, and about the only redeeming quality of the episode was [spoiler:3c7b27be6b]shooting the fucker at the end.[/spoiler:3c7b27be6b]

[spoiler:3c7b27be6b]Letting Bulldog escape on the chance that he'd find out about Adama's lie and try to kill him is a just a flimsy, almost comical plan. Doesn't sound like something that a race of calculating machines would come up with. I mean, goddamn. At least hide a tracker or nuke in him or something so that as soon as he sets foot in Galactica, bombs away.[/spoiler:3c7b27be6b]

[spoiler:3c7b27be6b]He was brainwashed, though. Probably the Cylons had him set up so that something, anything, would have pushed him over the edge and made him attack Adama.[/spoiler:3c7b27be6b]

[spoiler:3c7b27be6b]Still seems overly-elaborate. The idea is to eliminate Galactica and the rest of humanity. Since they obviously had to know the location of the fleet in order to plant their escapee in the first place, you'd think they try for something a little more ambitious.[/spoiler:3c7b27be6b]

[spoiler:3c7b27be6b]They tried that in 33, remember? The Cylons followed the fleet around, kept jumping in a strike force, but each time they got close the fleet jumped out before they could attack.[/spoiler:3c7b27be6b]

The thing is, at this point the Cylons don't know where the fleet is hiding. It's really, really rare for them to get a fix on BSG's location, and for them to waste that one opportunity on a really flimsy plan doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    [spoiler:fe9ea0b7b7]Also, if you remember in 33, the Cylons were gradually wearing out the fleet. Had they continued jumping every half-hour, by the end of the week the humans would've exhausted themselves to death and wore out their inferior FTL drives, whichever came first. The only reason that failed was because they found and disposed of the tracking beacon. [/spoiler:fe9ea0b7b7]

Glyph on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Scooter wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    Glyph wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    Glyph wrote:
    It was basically the epitome of everything going wrong with the series at that point (which, admittedly wasn't much). The over-use of the "24 hours earlier" cliche, which had already been used in several episodes prior, the main plot coming to a complete standstill to focus on completely new tertiary characters, a mysterious past introduced for Adama which hadn't been even hinted at before (and never touched on since). Pacing was atrocious, the script was mediocre, and about the only redeeming quality of the episode was [spoiler:75764ea204]shooting the fucker at the end.[/spoiler:75764ea204]

[spoiler:75764ea204]Letting Bulldog escape on the chance that he'd find out about Adama's lie and try to kill him is a just a flimsy, almost comical plan. Doesn't sound like something that a race of calculating machines would come up with. I mean, goddamn. At least hide a tracker or nuke in him or something so that as soon as he sets foot in Galactica, bombs away.[/spoiler:75764ea204]

[spoiler:75764ea204]He was brainwashed, though. Probably the Cylons had him set up so that something, anything, would have pushed him over the edge and made him attack Adama.[/spoiler:75764ea204]

[spoiler:75764ea204]Still seems overly-elaborate. The idea is to eliminate Galactica and the rest of humanity. Since they obviously had to know the location of the fleet in order to plant their escapee in the first place, you'd think they try for something a little more ambitious.[/spoiler:75764ea204]

[spoiler:75764ea204]They tried that in 33, remember? The Cylons followed the fleet around, kept jumping in a strike force, but each time they got close the fleet jumped out before they could attack.[/spoiler:75764ea204]

The thing is, at this point the Cylons don't know where the fleet is hiding. It's really, really rare for them to get a fix on BSG's location, and for them to waste that one opportunity on a really flimsy plan doesn't really make a lot of sense.
    That doesn't really work though. If the Colonials had seen anything other then what they saw in that instance, they would've blown everything that jumped in away and then jumped off to somewhere else.

The fact of the matter is, since the fleet is now essentially always ready to jump within 2-3 minutes notice, it's really hard for the Cylons to force Galactica to commit to an engagement. And they certainly don't have warp scramblers like we do in EVE.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Scooter wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    Glyph wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    Glyph wrote:
    It was basically the epitome of everything going wrong with the series at that point (which, admittedly wasn't much). The over-use of the "24 hours earlier" cliche, which had already been used in several episodes prior, the main plot coming to a complete standstill to focus on completely new tertiary characters, a mysterious past introduced for Adama which hadn't been even hinted at before (and never touched on since). Pacing was atrocious, the script was mediocre, and about the only redeeming quality of the episode was [spoiler:18576590ae]shooting the fucker at the end.[/spoiler:18576590ae]

[spoiler:18576590ae]Letting Bulldog escape on the chance that he'd find out about Adama's lie and try to kill him is a just a flimsy, almost comical plan. Doesn't sound like something that a race of calculating machines would come up with. I mean, goddamn. At least hide a tracker or nuke in him or something so that as soon as he sets foot in Galactica, bombs away.[/spoiler:18576590ae]

[spoiler:18576590ae]He was brainwashed, though. Probably the Cylons had him set up so that something, anything, would have pushed him over the edge and made him attack Adama.[/spoiler:18576590ae]

[spoiler:18576590ae]Still seems overly-elaborate. The idea is to eliminate Galactica and the rest of humanity. Since they obviously had to know the location of the fleet in order to plant their escapee in the first place, you'd think they try for something a little more ambitious.[/spoiler:18576590ae]

[spoiler:18576590ae]They tried that in 33, remember? The Cylons followed the fleet around, kept jumping in a strike force, but each time they got close the fleet jumped out before they could attack.[/spoiler:18576590ae]

That doesn't really work though. If the Colonials had seen anything other then what they saw in that instance, they would've blown everything that jumped in away and then jumped off to somewhere else.

The fact of the matter is, since the fleet is now essentially always ready to jump within 2-3 minutes notice, it's really hard for the Cylons to force Galactica to commit to an engagement. And they certainly don't have warp scramblers like we do in EVE.

[spoiler:18576590ae]
    But that's the point. Because conventional engagements won't work anymore, they should've taken that opportunity with Bulldog a little more seriously. Now of course the most practical plan would've been to hide a bomb up his ass and set it off as soon as he landed on Galactica, but since that would've ended the series, I'd have settled for the Cylons using him as a beacon that can only be turned off once he's dead. Great dramatic window right there. Or how about brainwashing him into disabling Galactica's FTL? Lots of missed opportunities for a show that's usually on the ball. [/spoiler:18576590ae]

Glyph on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Glyph wrote:
    Scooter wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    Glyph wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    Glyph wrote:
    It was basically the epitome of everything going wrong with the series at that point (which, admittedly wasn't much). The over-use of the "24 hours earlier" cliche, which had already been used in several episodes prior, the main plot coming to a complete standstill to focus on completely new tertiary characters, a mysterious past introduced for Adama which hadn't been even hinted at before (and never touched on since). Pacing was atrocious, the script was mediocre, and about the only redeeming quality of the episode was [spoiler:4f32664310]shooting the fucker at the end.[/spoiler:4f32664310]

[spoiler:4f32664310]Letting Bulldog escape on the chance that he'd find out about Adama's lie and try to kill him is a just a flimsy, almost comical plan. Doesn't sound like something that a race of calculating machines would come up with. I mean, goddamn. At least hide a tracker or nuke in him or something so that as soon as he sets foot in Galactica, bombs away.[/spoiler:4f32664310]

[spoiler:4f32664310]He was brainwashed, though. Probably the Cylons had him set up so that something, anything, would have pushed him over the edge and made him attack Adama.[/spoiler:4f32664310]

[spoiler:4f32664310]Still seems overly-elaborate. The idea is to eliminate Galactica and the rest of humanity. Since they obviously had to know the location of the fleet in order to plant their escapee in the first place, you'd think they try for something a little more ambitious.[/spoiler:4f32664310]

[spoiler:4f32664310]They tried that in 33, remember? The Cylons followed the fleet around, kept jumping in a strike force, but each time they got close the fleet jumped out before they could attack.[/spoiler:4f32664310]

[spoiler:4f32664310]
    But that's the point. Because conventional engagements won't work anymore, they should've taken that opportunity with Bulldog a little more seriously. Now of course the most practical plan would've been to hide a bomb up his ass and set it off as soon as he landed on Galactica, but since that would've ended the series, I'd have settled for the Cylons using him as a beacon that can only be turned off once he's dead. Great dramatic window right there. Or how about brainwashing him into disabling Galactica's FTL? Lots of missed opportunities for a show that's usually on the ball. [/spoiler:4f32664310]
    I don't know - based on what we've seen of the Cylons, they're not quite as regimented as they tend to put on. That whole thing seemed a lot more like some Cylon's personal experiment, rather then a well thought out plan.

I mean
    [spoiler:4f32664310]look what Leoben did to Starbuck. That hardly seems like it was a designed thing, he was just allowed to go off and do it. The Cylons are big on fucking with the human psyche and then declaring that they're so much better because that could never happen to them.[/spoiler:4f32664310]

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Fix dem spoilers boy!

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Fix dem spoilers boy!

Fuck, fuck! I'm fucking this all up.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, now we know which quick button you use before filling it in with "spoiler" (I myself use "code"). I would've said something but I figured the problem would self-correct. Like the Invisible Hand of the free market! Alright, enough of that.

[spoiler:30885ed5a6]Yes, for a race that hates humanity enough to want it utterly obliterated, the Cylons sure do like fucking with people in every sense of the word (see Dean Stockwell).[/spoiler:30885ed5a6]

Glyph on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Richy wrote:
    RoundBoy wrote:

I subscribe so I pay about $20 a year of issues. I dont know if its worth paying $20 just for Tricia. Now if they added the other ladies...

I've only seen a few episodes from the BSG series. That said, I'd do the president. And Starbuck. And Six...and every other female on the main cast, basically. Maybe Baltar.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    leaf wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    RoundBoy wrote:

I've only seen a few episodes from the BSG series. That said, I'd do the president. And Starbuck. And Six...and every other female on the main cast, basically. Maybe Baltar.
    I find it interesting that, out of all the female cast members on BSG, the first one that came to your mind was President Roslin.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    That's because she's fucking radiant! Have you seen her do her 'talk to the fans' thing on scifi.com? Grace Park does one too. They're both even hotter in small-format bite-sized candid digital video snippets.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    oddmentoddment Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Okay, so I have literally JUST (in the last day or two) got into this series. My bf and I watched a few episodes on Sky Three (thank you Freeview!) a few months ago, from the first series... and I was really very intrigued. He's a bit of a stickler for his SG Atlantis, so I didn't think he'd think anything of it past the episodes we caught.

However, I noticed the first season on sale at Virgin for £9.99, so I thought, what the hell?! Came back and watched the first few episodes with my bf, and we became hooked! This was last night. We watched four more episodes today, and we just can't get enough! Only reason we turned it off is cos he had to go to bed so he'd be up for work.

Anywho, just so that we comprehend everything (though we think we have it down pretty well now), I'm buying the miniseries, which shud be here by Monday. Cannot wait to see that! And I've already been asked to buy the season 2 boxset, despite only being halfway through the first season! This is the first sci-fi show we've both enjoyed together since Voyager.

I've become so facsinated by it that I spent half an hour today just watching Mary McDonnell answer questions off the Battlestar forum for the Sci-Fi channel online thingy. I really hope season 3 doesn't take too long to come to DVD here, cos we don't have Sky One (the channel BSG airs on here), and it'll take AAAAAAAAGES for them to air it on Sky Three.

I am now joining with the BSG cause, and am trying to persuade my friends to watch it too. A friend of mine, big Voyager fan like me, is willing to watch some when he comes to stay... so that'll be one convert. The rest may be a tad harder....

P.S. - What's up with the UK boxsets having shit all in the way of extras? You guys in the US get like 3 times as much as we do! No fair!

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    That's because she's fucking radiant! Have you seen her do her 'talk to the fans' thing on scifi.com? Grace Park does one too. They're both even hotter in small-format bite-sized candid digital video snippets.

Seconded. Roslin really is the one that stands out by having the most commanding presence. Plus, she's one hell of an attractive older woman.

Glyph on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    oddment wrote:
    Okay, so I have literally JUST (in the last day or two) got into this series. My bf and I watched a few episodes on Sky Three (thank you Freeview!) a few months ago, from the first series... and I was really very intrigued. He's a bit of a stickler for his SG Atlantis, so I didn't think he'd think anything of it past the episodes we caught.

However, I noticed the first season on sale at Virgin for £9.99, so I thought, what the hell?! Came back and watched the first few episodes with my bf, and we became hooked! This was last night. We watched four more episodes today, and we just can't get enough! Only reason we turned it off is cos he had to go to bed so he'd be up for work.

Anywho, just so that we comprehend everything (though we think we have it down pretty well now), I'm buying the miniseries, which shud be here by Monday. Cannot wait to see that! And I've already been asked to buy the season 2 boxset, despite only being halfway through the first season! This is the first sci-fi show we've both enjoyed together since Voyager.

I've become so facsinated by it that I spent half an hour today just watching Mary McDonnell answer questions off the Battlestar forum for the Sci-Fi channel online thingy. I really hope season 3 doesn't take too long to come to DVD here, cos we don't have Sky One (the channel BSG airs on here), and it'll take AAAAAAAAGES for them to air it on Sky Three.

I am now joining with the BSG cause, and am trying to persuade my friends to watch it too. A friend of mine, big Voyager fan like me, is willing to watch some when he comes to stay... so that'll be one convert. The rest may be a tad harder....

P.S. - What's up with the UK boxsets having shit all in the way of extras? You guys in the US get like 3 times as much as we do! No fair!

Is this what a preacher feels when his congregation swells? O, HAPPY DAY. And in regards to persuading your pal who liked Voyager, always mention that the executive produce Ronald D Moore was responsible for some of the best Deep Space Nine, and quit Star Trek because he felt Voyager was bullshitting the audience and copping out on it's unique premise... And hey, a ship, alone, without support, integrating crews from two ships (or turning civilians into officers)... Seems to me that BSG is the show Star Trek: Voyager could have been (but I'm glad was not).

Also, the australian box sets have fuck all extras too. So now I'm stuck between buying now and missing out, or waiting and not supporting the show I love. Yargh it's a tough one.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    oddmentoddment Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wow, I didn't look at BSG and Voyager that way before! Thats quite astute. I did enjoy Voyager immensley until season 4, and thereafter still enjoyed it, but to a lesser degree. Janeway will always be my favourite captain though... the rest of the cast may have faltered horribly towards the end, but except for a few exceptions, Janeway remained a constant source of pleasure in the Voyager experience.
    It was such a shame that holodeck adventures were the predominant episode format for the latter part of the show, but I do recall some especially good holodeck episodes (I suppose if you make enough, SOME have to be good, right?), especially the World War 2 themed double ep.

I don't think I could wait out a new box set release now. I need to watch more BSG NOW NOW NOW! It's just so damn addictive, I can't NOT buy the next boxset! I may even order it tomorrow, so it arrives by the time we finish season 1 and the miniseries.

As for this straight-to-dvd movie... I wonder how they can make it so it doesn't screw up continuity... but provides an interesting story with the sets they already have? Were the Babylon 5 TV movies ever any good? I'm assuming thats the kind of thing they're going for here.

Also.. anyone want to take a guess as to how long they show will run for? As someone said, they have the overall show arc planned somewhere... and there can only be so far it'll stretch.

oddment on
    PSN Sig Hidden Within!*
    oddment84.png
    *Thanks Thanatos!
This discussion has been closed.