As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 9-23-09: It's On!

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Graphic Violence
Yes, those annoying Southwest Airlines commercials infect comics this week, as Superman: Blackest Night #2 has one of the stupidest yet awesome scenes in comics this year:

Martha escapes from zombie Lois, and winds up in a cornfield being chased:

sbn2z.jpg

sbn2c.jpg

Also, Psycho Pirate makes everyone in Smallville go crazy, pretty much (old lady and young guy lust, yummy).

Also, The List: X-Men
Namor decides to ditch the Cabal as the big worm dragon thing was actually his wife Marrina which he kills and throws into Norman's office, and that the people of Atlantis take up the waters around Providence II (they call it Utopia but that's stupid) as their home

TexiKen on

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    J. H. William's art in Detective Comics is my MotW so far. That guy uses the space on a page like nobody else. Its incredible.

Also, the story concluded, and it was pretty good.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Spider-Woman #1 stole the week for me. Just such beautiful art. Makes me sad that I'm holding out for some kind of dvd for the motion comic.

JyrenB on
    osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    From what I 've read so far...

I liked the Cabal because of the growth for Namor. Acknowledging that he isn't Scott's king was pretty neat.

Confession was prettyyyyy sappy, but it sufficed. I didn't hate it. Just lots of <3 I love you <3 stuff.

Uncanny was a mixed bag. I know Emma has trouble feelings emotions when her diamond form, but must it really flip a bitch switch? Just because you don't feel sympathy doesn't mean you can't muster up some self-control. At least that's how I see it. Still, I loved it if only for the last page, and that character's dialogue.
    img053.jpg

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Even though the characterization of Spider-Man has been pretty goddamn annoying the the last arc or two, New Avengers managed to redeem it somewhat with a single page.
    img054.jpg

Faynor on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So Beautiful Creatures #1 came out, and since gredavin wanted some thoughts on it, here we go:

It's actually very smooth and fluid, and the general story is pretty good for setting things up like a pilot episode does on TV. 4 college girls in Paris turn out they have some ties to magic after getting attacked by elves (redcaps). Art was good too. Cheesecake in some places but it's accepted because it goes with the story (girls in jacuzzis lends itself to that, of course). Amelie is the best character because she just goes with everything happening around her.

This was a nice page from the story:
    Cleaning up after fighting/killing elves/redcaps:

bc1a.jpg

There are only two gripes with the story:

-Kendra is overpowering in her appearances, and came off as annoying in that she gets to be a triple threat so to speak (hot redhead girl, the leader type of the group who gets more powers than others and acts like it's all on her shoulders and not the others, and has the most snarky dialgoue). She's not shown to have any flaws like the others (Amelie is aloof, Mohini is the Brit with an attitude, Rana shy/awkward Iraqi student in Western Europe).

-The art could've used an inker.

I'll pick up the second issue, as it's good, but if this was to be an ongoing or something, Kendra would have to be toned down a bit for something that revolves around a group of 4 girls.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    As cool as that Superman: Blackest Night scan is, what chance does Ma Kent really have against a god damn Black Lantern?

Hensler on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Old Man Logan oh my god.
    LONE WOLVERINE AND CUB

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hows the new immortal weapon? What have people thought of the last two? I got issue 3 & spiderwoman issue 1 sitting in my pull, which I won't be able to get until December, lest someone visits me.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I remembered a scene from X-Men: The List that sorta chaffed me.
    img056.jpg

What, Sentry is a maid now? And doesn't he have super hearing or somethin'? He didn't hear no giant dragon thing getting hurled at the tower?! [tiny]He may not have super hearing, I can't remember at the moment. I could just be attributing it to him because of the whole Superman-analog thing.[/tiny]

Faynor on
  • Options
    ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Osborn's brow is out of control in that panel

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    img056.jpg

What, Sentry is a maid now? And doesn't he have super hearing or somethin'? He didn't hear no giant dragon thing getting hurled at the tower?! [tiny]He may not have super hearing, I can't remember at the moment. I could just be attributing it to him because of the whole Superman-analog thing.[/tiny]

Is Sentry still, you know, not-Sentry in that scene? I could see the Void sitting around in Sentry's body making him do degrading things to scorn and ridicule him.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You guys are missing the best part: Sentry offers Norman a corn dog!

Hensler on
  • Options
    JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Even though the characterization of Spider-Man has been pretty goddamn annoying the the last arc or two, New Avengers managed to redeem it somewhat with a single page.
    img054.jpg

Such a great page, but what really made it even better was after that.
    When Cap just nails Bullseye with his shield. Such a simple, but hilarious image to me.

JyrenB on
    osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is the art inside of Spider-Man as cheesecakey as the cover is?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It's Mike McKone interior art, but see
    Black Cat and Peter make out but it gets caught on camera and is broadcast to NYC on the big TV in Times Square where MJ walks by, with Peter's monologue saying he's finally giving in to Felicia or something

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Finally being able to read beyond those first few preview pages of Old Man Logan is my mOTW

Plus the comic itself. The art.
    Old Man Banner having Hulk strength in human form and being some weird red-neck cannibal.

Who fucked Jen. And got her pregnant.

This is a serioooooooously fucked up alternate future.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    ewwwwwww

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I would have preferred if Logan had killed
    the baby though, end that entire inbred, fucked up family

Really not sure what was going on with Hulk, seemed to be flesh tone even when transformed. Could've at least done a flashback to show how he ended up that way.

But yes
    Banner knocked up Jen and then has been banging his daughters and ALL of those Hulk-offcasts are his kids.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The reason he
    didn't kill the baby was because he becomes Banner Jr. It ties in with his Fantastic Four run, remember?

cover-large.jpg

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Oh ok. No I don't remmeber, I thought that was Hulk or an alternate Hulk, how does that even work since the current universe doesn't have whats going to become "Old Man Logan" going on? Its a nice tie together but doesnt really mesh with all the other Hulk gang being
    heavily diluted inbreds with seemingly nothing of Hulks power within them

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Who knows. There was an intervening period of 500 years before they went back in time, so maybe he got into some Gamma Refining Machine? I'm sure it's not going to be explained.
    I mean, they were at least somewhat strong. They knocked those girls out with their dicks.

Faynor on
  • Options
    gredavingredavin Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    So Beautiful Creatures #1 came out, and since gredavin wanted some thoughts on it, here we go:

It's actually very smooth and fluid, and the general story is pretty good for setting things up like a pilot episode does on TV. 4 college girls in Paris turn out they have some ties to magic after getting attacked by elves (redcaps). Art was good too. Cheesecake in some places but it's accepted because it goes with the story (girls in jacuzzis lends itself to that, of course). Amelie is the best character because she just goes with everything happening around her.

This was a nice page from the story:
    Cleaning up after fighting/killing elves/redcaps:

bc1a.jpg

There are only two gripes with the story:

-Kendra is overpowering in her appearances, and came off as annoying in that she gets to be a triple threat so to speak (hot redhead girl, the leader type of the group who gets more powers than others and acts like it's all on her shoulders and not the others, and has the most snarky dialgoue). She's not shown to have any flaws like the others (Amelie is aloof, Mohini is the Brit with an attitude, Rana shy/awkward Iraqi student in Western Europe).

-The art could've used an inker.

I'll pick up the second issue, as it's good, but if this was to be an ongoing or something, Kendra would have to be toned down a bit for something that revolves around a group of 4 girls.

Texiken,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to review it. I really appreciate it.

Alright, I'll address your gripes!

1) Kendra's appearances and degree of usefulness come into the spotlight next issue. We get a longer look at the other characters and their importance more apparent. (though, I agree, issue #1 is Kendra centric.)

2) I agree. One of the problems of indie work is that the artists are doing this on spec. Bringing on another name to ink decreases the percentage of ownership and money from already small sales income. You are, of course, one of many people who say this book is missing an inker.

Thanks again, look forward to your thoughts on #2!

gredavin on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Who knows. There was an intervening period of 500 years before they went back in time, so maybe he got into some Gamma Refining Machine? I'm sure it's not going to be explained.
    I mean, they were at least somewhat strong. They knocked those girls out with their dicks.

LMAO.
    Superhuman but only like Spider-Man level it seemed and with none of the regerative abilities. Buts its something you have to ignore like Banner not regenerating

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Eh, even that can be explained away by plot.
    It said earlier Wolverine didn't heal quite as fast as he used to. Banner was getting just as old, and that was a pretty goddamn mortal wound.

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Guardians of the Galaxy #18:
    the team that was in the future runs into an alternate version of the Guardians in the future, since the last version of the timeline got erased. Not only in this version is Wonder Man on the team (now called Hollywood), but our current version of the team as been aged (Starlord), de-aged (Cosmo is a puppy and Mantis is a baby) or is fading out of existence (Jack Flagg):

gotg18a.jpg

gotg18b.jpg

gotg18c.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    So i read X-Men the List

Is Namor part of the X-men now? Cause i find that oddly cool

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yes. Zees' was established during Utopia.

Faynor on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    gredavin wrote: »

2) I agree. One of the problems of indie work is that the artists are doing this on spec. Bringing on another name to ink decreases the percentage of ownership and money from already small sales income. You are, of course, one of many people who say this book is missing an inker.
    i haven't picked this up (hadn't heard about it, but i may just seek it out now), but based on the page posted, i really like the un-inked art, actually. it gives a distinctive look.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So after viewing the spidey scans from avengers, i wonder:
    i'm a pretty big spiderman fan, yet i'm only picking up the ultimate and ASM books.
    should i be reading new avengers as well? am i missing out on a lot of spidey goodness? or does he only do irrelevant cameos in there?

It kinda pisses me off how, ever since BND, spidey has barely been in sync with the rest of the marvelverse (yesyes, except for the menace/ american son thing...)

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    img056.jpg

In Sentry Reborn he specifically mentions that he can hear a butterfly beat its wings halfway around the world, so yes he does.

Also: ngngngngngng

Wildcat on
  • Options
    egsegs Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »
    Hows the new immortal weapon? What have people thought of the last two? I got issue 3 & spiderwoman issue 1 sitting in my pull, which I won't be able to get until December, lest someone visits me.
    The most recent Immortal Weapons issue (Dog Brother #1) was fan-fuickin-tastic as was the first issue (Fat Cobra ftw). The Bride of Nine Spiders issue was just okay but the other two were worth their weight in gold.....comics are pretty light right?

egs on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Man someone needs to make the Sentry interesting again pronto

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    "Hark, I hear the distinct sound of a half-man, half-atlantean carrying a giant sea monster at great speed"
    He was probably just distracted by being super evil. Or that I don't think sound would actually travel half way around the world.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    img056.jpg

In Sentry Reborn he specifically mentions that he can hear a butterfly beat its wings halfway around the world, so yes he does.

His super-hearing only works on butterflies.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    CarbonRodCarbonRod Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Ma Kent: "IT'S ON!!"
    And then she gets her heart ripped out because she's an old lady from Kansas and BL-Lois-2 has a power ring. :P

CarbonRod on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    img056.jpg

C'mon, think all the ridiculously noisy shit going on on Marvel's earth at any given time, especially if Hulk and the Blob made it to the burrito-buffet special at Taco-Hut. That's when super-listeners the world over understand the true curse of their powers.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    img056.jpg

At least that could help when tracking Layla Miller.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    img056.jpg

C'mon, think all the ridiculously noisy shit going on on Marvel's earth at any given time, especially if Hulk and the Blob made it to the burrito-buffet special at Taco-Hut. That's when super-listeners the world over understand the true curse of their powers.

Intentional or otherwise, this was an element of Xavier's origin as a mutant at one point: when his powers turned on for the first time in full (he'd already been empathically connecting with his abused mother) he suddenly heard everyone around him for miles. He had to learn to shut it out.

At different times, that's been an element of Jean Grey too (though I can't remember if it's currently in-continuity).

It reminds me of something I just read about antelope: with their vision, they can see the rings on Saturn in the night sky. That's just awesome.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    CarbonRod wrote: »

Ma Kent: "IT'S ON!!"
    And then she gets her heart ripped out because she's an old lady from Kansas and BL-Lois-2 has a power ring. :P
    Yeah, but aside from regenerating a Black Lantern's injuries, they don't do anything. Seriously, everyone that comes back has the same powers they did when they were alive, and Lois-2 is an oldster herself. That means she has the power to regenerate from any injury and the strength, speed, and agility of an elderly woman. Tie her up somewhere and threat=over.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    At least until the ring charge hits 100% and Nekron gotsecs the universe.

Gabriel_Pitt on