As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[HoN] Heroes of Newerth - Empty slots don't do anything for you.

ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
edited September 2010 in Games and Technology
hon_logo.png

Heroes of Newerth or HoN is a team-based strategic multiplayer game where you assume the role of a hero on the Legionnaire or Hellbourne alliance. The game is currently in closed-beta and is largely based on the popular Warcraft III custom map Defense of the Ancients, making several improvements in match making, graphics, hosting, and support.

The game runs on Windows, MAC OSX, and Linux.

/join Clan PennyArcade

If you would like an invitation to the beta, post in the thread or private message a poster who claims to have keys. When you message them, please provide your email address as it is necessary to register you for the beta.

Guides for Beta Testers
Basic Game Play Guides
New and even semi-experienced DotA players should read these guides.
Laning Guide
Every new player should read this guide on the basics.
Rune Guide
Warding Guide
Neutral Creep Guide

Hero Specific Guides

Imperfect on

• Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The most fun with tiny is when you get someone on voice that you can throw around, like axe or magmus.

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hey a new HoN thread!
    How 'bout them PSRs eh?

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Throwing teammates into the enemy fountain is the best thing with Tiny. By far.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Page- wrote: »

That is the only reason I play him.

EDIT - HIS NAME IS PEBBLES!

Shens on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Except when your teammates ends up dead due to that.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I didn't realize you could throw someone from across the screen as pebbles till I literally saw pebbles throw an enemy the entire length of his vision once. It was scary.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    @Page-

Yeh, you can get bottles with side lanes, I mean, I guess. I often play with friends so I am not in 'pub' situations where the mid will not be getting the runes. Denying/spotting/obtaining runes is #1 priority, for one lane, it's the creep puller who takes it if in range (if mid is not hunting them) and the other rune can be watched by the mid solo.

Tiny is a lane babysitter until he has his ring and he's level 9-10, so for heavy rune play you either get a bottle when it's too late to do something with it or when you can be assured you'll get runes out of it. Magmus can also benefit from one, but with him I do nothing but stun/stats (ult at 6 and 11) so I have enough mana to use stun 3 times by the time I am level 7, anyway.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dis wrote: »

Except when your teammates ends up dead due to that.

If they're really low health, you can deny them with it, which is always humiliating to the enemy.

Also: in dota, I hooked out allied moonqueen out of mid toss. It just looked like she never came down, so the enemy team clustered under where she was supposed to go and just kinda acted confused for about 10 seconds.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    i see no hyperstone in the title

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Hyperwhaaaaaat?

Imperfect on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    [HoN] Heroes of Newerth - We all love the Hyperstone

Shens on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    just fuckin six hyperstones all day

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Buyin' hyperstones erryday.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    we still have beta keys for this? I'd love one via PM so I can try this out.

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Cmon let's buy 6 Substainer instead.
    30 Regen.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KhaczorKhaczor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I find the scout is in a heaven or hell situation with the changes. Either he is the reason his team will lose. Or he becomes the reason they win. Seriously getting 3 shotted in less than 2 seconds and having the scout be 10 levels above both his own team and my team is bullcrap.

Khaczor on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I have downloaded this and played with my friend and I still dunno wtf to do have the time. What I'm saying is, what it do?

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I have downloaded this and played with my friend and I still dunno wtf to do have the time. What I'm saying is, what it do?

okay you pick your hero
    you buy starting items from the shop
    you run into a lane to begin killing npc monsters (creeps) for gold and experience
    using spells and shit, you can kill enemy heroes for gold and experience
    you use gold to buy better items to kill shit
    your overarching goal is to destroy towers, then barracks, then their tree of life (big building in their base)

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Well I know that much but not like, what to buy besides Bottle and that's it basically, what recipes are best for what heros and the like.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    don't buy bottle unless you're solo middle
    rule of thumb is: bracers (2-4) on all heroes, enhanced marchers on heroes that need attack speed, steamboots on (usually) casters. set them to strength.

dps items: shieldbreaker, savage mace, flayer (usually a bad buy), nullfire blade, geometer's bane

tank items: behemoth's heart (well...), helm of the black legion, iron shield, shaman's headdress

caster items: totem of kuldra, sacrificial stone, staff of the master (other heroes do benefit though), frostfield plate, storm spirit, hellflower, refresher stone

bolded what i consider good standbys for many heroes, whereas other items might be more situational

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    DrakmathusDrakmathus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Khaczor wrote: »
    I find the scout is in a heaven or hell situation with the changes. Either he is the reason his team will lose. Or he becomes the reason they win. Seriously getting 3 shotted in less than 2 seconds and having the scout be 10 levels above both his own team and my team is bullcrap.

em?

Drakmathus on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    khac? playing em?

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    DefunkerDefunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've yet to see anyone buy the charged lightning orb (thunderclaw) or the charged hammer. Are they actually good on any heroes? Charged hammer looks like it'd have a use, but is way way way too expensive for what it does.

I'm thinking both need a buff pretty bad.

Defunker on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I get it if I play valkyrie. I almost never play valkyire though, someone else always picks an agi hero. The activated ability of the bigger hammer (maelstrom in dota) is flipping amazing.

edit: also it is fairly standard for medusa. Split arrows means she will activate it with most shots.

Drakmathus on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    a lot of the heroes that the item is good for are not in HoN thats all.

Push Button / Receive Cat on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't see why refresher stone isn't more chosen. The items to build it are all useful, and there's few heroes who wouldn't benefit a great deal from popping their ult twice in a row.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    it requires a huge mana investment. I think it is 300 mana to use it, and ults worth using it with are usually in that range.

Drakmathus on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    @Page-

Yeh, you can get bottles with side lanes, I mean, I guess. I often play with friends so I am not in 'pub' situations where the mid will not be getting the runes. Denying/spotting/obtaining runes is #1 priority, for one lane, it's the creep puller who takes it if in range (if mid is not hunting them) and the other rune can be watched by the mid solo.

Tiny is a lane babysitter until he has his ring and he's level 9-10, so for heavy rune play you either get a bottle when it's too late to do something with it or when you can be assured you'll get runes out of it. Magmus can also benefit from one, but with him I do nothing but stun/stats (ult at 6 and 11) so I have enough mana to use stun 3 times by the time I am level 7, anyway.

Even in high level play you will see 2 or even 3 bottles on a team, They're just generally useful, and some runes are better for some heroes, one hero can't be everywhere at once, etc. When they're all warded anyway, you can have 2 or 3 people going for a rune at the same time.

Bottle first on Tiny WAS standard, I should say. More often you'll see regen items and a magic stick (another item everyone will have at high level play), with bottle as a second item (remember that you'll always have an upgraded courier from the start in anything scrim or above). He simply needs the mana regen to be any sort of use in a lane, and with it he's VERY useful. Avalanche, toss is deadly from the start of the game all the way through to the end, and you'll see him paired with a hero like Succubus/Bane (sleep, walk up and combo) or someone with a stun. It's also his best method of farming, letting him clear a whole wave with a well placed stun, toss.

Arcane is actually slightly optional. He'll get it most of the time, but blink comes first, and good bottle use will give him plenty of mana for ganking.

You'll also see a lot of mid lanes that don't need a bottle. Anyone from Lucy to Bloodseeker to Silencer will solo mid without the need for a bottle, and double mid lanes aren't uncommon either. On top of that, the list of bottle users and the list of top picks overlap greatly, so if you've got PotM/Valkyrie and ES/Behemoth on the same team there's really no need for only one of them to get a bottle when both of them need it.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    @Page-

Even in high level play you will see 2 or even 3 bottles on a team, They're just generally useful, and some runes are better for some heroes, one hero can't be everywhere at once, etc. When they're all warded anyway, you can have 2 or 3 people going for a rune at the same time.

Bottle first on Tiny WAS standard, I should say. More often you'll see regen items and a magic stick (another item everyone will have at high level play), with bottle as a second item (remember that you'll always have an upgraded courier from the start in anything scrim or above). He simply needs the mana regen to be any sort of use in a lane, and with it he's VERY useful. Avalanche, toss is deadly from the start of the game all the way through to the end, and you'll see him paired with a hero like Succubus/Bane (sleep, walk up and combo) or someone with a stun. It's also his best method of farming, letting him clear a whole wave with a well placed stun, toss.

Arcane is actually slightly optional. He'll get it most of the time, but blink comes first, and good bottle use will give him plenty of mana for ganking.

You'll also see a lot of mid lanes that don't need a bottle. Anyone from Lucy to Bloodseeker to Silencer will solo mid without the need for a bottle, and double mid lanes aren't uncommon either. On top of that, the list of bottle users and the list of top picks overlap greatly, so if you've got PotM/Valkyrie and ES/Behemoth on the same team there's really no need for only one of them to get a bottle when both of them need it.

They don't typically build tiny up with attack speed?

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Never. It just takes away from his damage potential, which is all about bursting with his combo. Farming attack speed means you'll have less mana, less hp, and -- god forbid -- no blink. His attack is basically for early last hitting and as the last hit on the stun, toss combo, since you get a free shot, maybe two.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    man i always thought that tossing after stalag did double damage not the other way around.

Fuga on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I gotta say I'm liking Moon Queen.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    ChickenMcTestChickenMcTest Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fuga wrote: »
    man i always thought that tossing after stalag did double damage not the other way around.

Wha???

ChickenMcTest on
  • Options
    KhaczorKhaczor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wow just won my first game out of about 12 losses. It is crushing when one or two teammates can absolutely wreck your chance of winning by not knowing how to play their characters and feeding.

Khaczor on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You see a lot of bottles because competitive teams ALWAYS have a crow, so they can keep the bottle refills coming even without runes.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Khaczor wrote: »
    Wow just won my first game out of about 12 losses. It is crushing when one or two teammates can absolutely wreck your chance of winning by not knowing how to play their characters and feeding.

Yeah, just had a game like that, since my rating won't let me play with people that know what they're doing....

Also, I think I'm going to have to start taking scout, just for the ability to force a team to concede. Heh...

EDIT Also, I want to play, but I don't want to/can't afford to play alone.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I had a game earlier where someone was playing Pebbles and would run off as soon as one enemy hero showed up and let his team get ganked, then blame us for dieing.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I had a game earlier where someone was playing Pebbles and would run off as soon as one enemy hero showed up and let his team get ganked, then blame us for dieing.

While that's probably the way it was in your game, I hate being on the other end sometimes. One guy runs forward when I'm already at half health, I support him a bit, but as soon as we're outnumbered I say, "B" and bolt. He then gets pissed when he dies, when all I could have done was died alongside him without earning any kills.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

While that's probably the way it was in your game, I hate being on the other end sometimes. One guy runs forward when I'm already at half health, I support him a bit, but as soon as we're outnumbered I say, "B" and bolt. He then gets pissed when he dies, when all I could have done was died alongside him without earning any kills.

Nah he'd have all his skills ready, let me use my ultimate (moon queen) run off and when I died he'd kill all the others and then be "OMG OUR MOON QUEEN SUCKS FUCKING QUIT NOOB"

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    JeiceJeice regular
    edited September 2009
    Fuga wrote: »

What you mean? I'm pretty sure that if you stun and then toss fast enough you get the double damage from the stun.

Jeice on