As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] The internet is jerks

• Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Hacksaw wrote:
    Oboro wrote:
    Anyway, I only actually popped in to say it is my birthday as of three hours or so ago. I am going to pop back out now, as is my nature. Goodnight, D&D.
    What'd you get for your birthday?
    The usual cold shoulder, and an argument with Jinnigan. hurrrrr

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Pony wrote:
    I am straight up baffled by the behavior of the people in the Saddam Hussein thread.

They're coming at me like they're expecting me to establish the absolute codes of what is Good and Evil.

What am I? Moses down from the Mountain? I'm a guy with an opinion. Ask what it is if you want. Disagree with it if you want. But don't give me shit because you asked and didn't agree with it or like it.

Read Dyscord's last post on page 30 of that thread. He makes a good explanation of why your opinion is making some of those people fume, without calling you an idiot.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Turbo MugenTurbo Mugen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    tynic wrote:
    Low Key wrote:
    tynic wrote:
    Man, fuck unconditional love.

I am conditional as all hells about that shit.

Between the hours of 10am and 4am only.
    Zactly. Girl needs her sleep.
    I am so new but all the cool girls I know love to be UP all night.

Man, this place is twisted.

Turbo Mugen on
    champloo_jinmugenSig2.jpg
  • Options
    Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    tynic wrote:
    Low Key wrote:
    tynic wrote:

Speaking of not getting enough sleep, I thought today was New Years Eve. And now I have these weird black stains down both my arms and I don't know where my shorts are.

Low Key on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Oboro wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:
    Oboro wrote:
    Anyway, I only actually popped in to say it is my birthday as of three hours or so ago. I am going to pop back out now, as is my nature. Goodnight, D&D.
    Universal love, but with a side of passive-aggressive.

tynic on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    tynic wrote:
    Oboro wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:
    Oboro wrote:
    Universal love, but with a side of passive-aggressive.
    hey i never said i wasn't a hypocrite

I actually only mentioned the argument because I previously said I was going to sleep, and it is the reason I am not so. I didn't want to be a liar and a hypocrite!

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Pony wrote:
    I am straight up baffled by the behavior of the people in the Saddam Hussein thread.

They're coming at me like they're expecting me to establish the absolute codes of what is Good and Evil.

What am I? Moses down from the Mountain? I'm a guy with an opinion. Ask what it is if you want. Disagree with it if you want. But don't give me shit because you asked and didn't agree with it or like it.

i agreed with you until you went all weird and stupid.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Oboro wrote:
    I stopped posting in threads once I realized a doctrine of universal, unconditional love was not appropriate for debate, and thus, just ignored.
    It's also an absurd way to live. I'm sorry but I don't and won't love everyone. I'm not Jesus.

I like oboro's extreme better than the other option. I mean, I'm enjoy annoying people too much to ever pull it but god misanthropy is boring. It's such a whingers way of life.

Low Key on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    tynic wrote:
    Low Key wrote:
    tynic wrote:

I am so new but all the cool girls I know love to be UP all night.

Man, this place is twisted.
    I think he's calling you uncool, tynic. You're not going to take that from some snot-nosed fish, are you?

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I guess I'm not the only one who can't run Phalla properly. :lol:

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Pony wrote:
    I'm not fucking around here. Why are we mean to good people? I'm not talking about people who can't be reasoned with or people who are themselves mean or bad, I'm talking about good people who make mistakes. Often I'm tempted to say mean things to people like that, and sometimes I actually do. I don't know why it's more of a natural reaction to me here than in real life. Maybe it's easier to type that bullshit into a screen than it is to look someone in the eye and say it.

i'm almost creepily nice, IRL.

why does that behavior change on the internet, though?

i can't type as eloquently and as quickly as i can talk. i'm not actually mean on the internets generally, i just don't throw on as much padding, and the emotive and friendly tones of my voice don't translate to text.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    A mugen is a type of fish.

Man, I am looking at some of these threads you guys have been making since I was last around and they are weird. What the hell, guys?

Low Key on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Pony wrote:

I don't really know what's going in there anymore, so I'm sort of responding post by post as I can.

So far as I can tell, what they really want is for me to start calling down from on high how I judge every god damn thing, so that they can pick it apart and tell me why I'm wrong for thinking that.

And that's pretty weird and stupid.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    i think they want reasons instead of opinions.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Saddam_I'm_addasSaddam_I'm_addas Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Pony wrote:
    Pony wrote:

I don't really know what's going in there anymore, so I'm sort of responding post by post as I can.

So far as I can tell, what they really want is for me to start calling down from on high how I judge every god damn thing, so that they can pick it apart and tell me why I'm wrong for thinking that.

I'd advise against playing God. He always wins.

Saddam_I'm_addas on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    i think they want reasons instead of opinions.

I've given them reasons, they reject them because they don't agree with them.

So I don't really know what else to do.

Pony on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Man I started replying to that ingrown hair thread in H/A, then I realized I just did not want to actually read the answers to my questions.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Pony wrote:
    Pony wrote:

I think the thinking goes, if you have an opinion, you must believe in it. And if you believe in it, you would like to see it enacted in some fashion, adopted by others or put into public policy or what have you. So what they are doing is pointing out the problems with implementing your personal moral opinion on a large scale.

If you don't believe it should be implemented ... well, you don't really believe in it, surely? Which makes people wonder why you brought it up.

tynic on
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    All the cool people I know don't feel compelled to name themselves after an anime character.

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Jinnigan wrote:
    All the cool people I know don't feel compelled to name themselves after an anime character.
    You know cool people?

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    tynic wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Pony wrote:

I think the thinking goes, if you have an opinion, you must believe in it. And if you believe in it, you would like to see it enacted in some fashion, adopted by others or put into public policy or what have you. So what they are doing is pointing out the problems with implementing your personal moral opinion on a large scale.

If you don't believe it should be implemented ... well, you don't really believe in it, surely? Which makes people wonder why you brought it up.

I see what you're saying.

That makes more sense, and I'll try approaching it from that angle.

I didn't really consider that.

Pony on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hacksaw wrote:
    I guess I'm not the only one who can't run Phalla properly. :lol:

Srsly.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    It's kind of a fundamental structure to the way debates run in this forum, and people sort of assume that you're posting within that framework, without explicitly setting it out at the beginning of a thread.

tynic on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    tynic wrote:
    It's kind of a fundamental structure to the way debates run in this forum, and people sort of assume that you're posting within that framework, without explicitly setting it out at the beginning of a thread.

And, being a guy who largely kind of staggers around this place only guessing he knows what's going on, I missed that.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Jinnigan wrote:
    You know cool people?

All your names sound like anime people to me and I don't even know what anime sounds like. If I can't work out what someone's name means I just assume you stole it from Japan.

Also, I got laughed at so hard by my cousin this Christmas because I thought it was pronouced a-NIME, as in rhyming with time.

Low Key on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Ah, mutual understanding.

It was kind of fun watching everybody get all o_O at each other though.

tynic on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Low Key wrote:
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Jinnigan wrote:
    You know cool people?

All your names sound like anime people to me and I don't even know what anime sounds like. If I can't work out what someone's name means I just assume you stole it from Japan.

Also, I got laughed at so hard by my cousin this Christmas because I thought it was pronouced a-NIME, as in rhyming with time.
    I keep meaning to shorten mine to just "Senj". Then it could have been stolen from the language of any number of gibberish-talking godless infidels.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Is it fairly standard around here that people can't share their viewpoints and opinions on a subject without having the agenda of trying to convince others they are right and change their views?

Because if that's how most of the forum rolls, this place might not be for me.

Pony on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Low Key wrote:
    Oboro wrote:
    I stopped posting in threads once I realized a doctrine of universal, unconditional love was not appropriate for debate, and thus, just ignored.
    It's also an absurd way to live. I'm sorry but I don't and won't love everyone. I'm not Jesus.

I like oboro's extreme better than the other option. I mean, I'm enjoy annoying people too much to ever pull it but god misanthropy is boring. It's such a whingers way of life.
    There obviously can't be a middle ground either.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    Turbo MugenTurbo Mugen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Jinnigan wrote:
    Anime can be a very cool thing at times and I do not think that it is any worse than picking a movie to go from or a book or whatever when coming up with screen names and handles.

Do you really not like Samurai Champloo? I thought everybody loved that one but I have not gotten around to much anime just yet, because I am very late to that game.

Turbo Mugen on
    champloo_jinmugenSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Pony wrote:
    Is it fairly standard around here that people can't share their viewpoints and opinions on a subject without having the agenda of trying to convince others they are right and change their views?

It's a debate forum; there's an implied adversarial structure, so you don't really get to play "I think X but that's not really something I feel like debating". I mean, it's cool that you think X, and it's cool that you don't want to debate it, but this is a bit like taking a soccer ball into a field and getting offended when people mistake that for intention to, you know, play

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Low Key wrote:
    Oboro wrote:

There obviously can't be a middle ground either.

Well everyone's on the middle ground. But even ignoring the two extremes I mentioned, the people on one side of the spectrum are a lot more interesting and worth hanging around that the other.

Except artists. Atists and authors make the best misanthropes. So much fun and booze.

Low Key on
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I liked Samurai Champloo.

I've never liked people that named themselves after fictional people, though. I mean, I can maybe understand it in a video game, but not on a forum.

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Pony wrote:

Moral relativism usually does not fly, no.

It's debate and discourse, and even the discourse tends to be rather heated. If you're not changing the mind of the guy you're arguing with, you're at least hoping to influence the opinion of the peanut gallery. And it works, too, and I'm glad it does or else what would be the point? It would be all "This is what I think." "Well, this is what I think." "I see we disagree! Thread over." The point is to hear from other people's views and, hopefully, learn from them. I've learnt a lot about economics and philosophy over the years, and I think in some way I've contributed to certain areas of the distributed forum knowledge. It's give and take.

tynic on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Pony wrote:

It's a debate forum; there's an implied adversarial structure, so you don't really get to play "I think X but that's not really something I feel like debating". I mean, it's cool that you think X, and it's cool that you don't want to debate it, but this is a bit like taking a soccer ball into a field and getting offended when people mistake that for intention to, you know, play

I've always been of the view that you can debate a subject without actually trying to "beat" the other person, prove yourself right, or prove them wrong. Often times you learn a lot just by comparing and analysing each other's beliefs and views on a subject.

Sometimes when I play sports, I just play them because I enjoy them and who wins and loses isn't important.

Pony on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Pony wrote:

There's also the matter of discussion of politics in general pretty much centering around deciding who's right. That's why it's ill-advised to discuss politics with people you're not willing to argue with. Like, it's not unique to this forum or even the internet, that's why it's a social faux pas to discuss politics in polite company. Seriously, Pony, what led you to believe that a political thread in a debate forum would be less adversarial than a real-life politics-discussion?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    tynic wrote:
    It's debate and discourse, and even the discourse tends to be rather heated. If you're not changing the mind of the guy you're arguing with, you're at least hoping to influence the opinion of the peanut gallery. And it works, too, and I'm glad it does or else what would be the point? It would be all "This is what I think." "Well, this is what I think." "I see we disagree! Thread over." The point is to hear from other people's views and, hopefully, learn from them. I've learnt a lot about economics and philosophy over the years, and I think in some way I've contributed to certain areas of the distributed forum knowledge. It's give and take.

I was just reading the AI thread and it reminded me of a conversation we had ages ago about whether you could design computer systems to feel pain. That pretty much ended with "I see we disagree! I wonder what's for dinner".

So I guess you are wrong. Ha! I win the argument!

Low Key on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Pony wrote:
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Pony wrote:

I've always been of the view that you can debate a subject without actually trying to "beat" the other person, prove yourself right, or prove them wrong. Often times you learn a lot just by comparing and analysing each other's beliefs and views on a subject.

Sometimes when I play sports, I just play them because I enjoy them and who wins and loses isn't important.
    Yeah. The thing is, in practice, this forum attracts Type A opinionated assholes with a vengeance. The type B scenic discussion thing isn't really the common atmosphere in threads 9 times out of 10.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    God damn you Century Theatres in San Francisco! Why the fuck would Pan's Labyrinth be full at 11?? FUCK YOU

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Pony wrote:
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Pony wrote:

But it's not about winning or losing here either. Most of the time it's about learning. To debate a subject without actually debating it is more like standing stockstill on the field and only kicking the ball when it happens to bump into your feet. If we're still doing the soccer thing, then - there's still an attack and a defense, even if no-one is keeping score.

tynic on
This discussion has been closed.