As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] The internet is jerks

• SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Gattaca was just on. I'd forgotten how fucking fantastic that movie is.

Senjutsu on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Poldy wrote:
    celery77 wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    Edgewood wrote:
    Kusuguttai wrote:
    roaaaar
    Good afternoon.
    i just got up
    I know what time it is where you live, and this disgusts me.

umm...I'm talking like Joycean ambitious here. Convoluted architectonics, multiple narrators, Ada, or Ardoresque multiple age accounts.

Damn. I'm neither smart enough nor talented enough to do it.
    Well if your gimmick is going to work anything like responding to the wrong quotes, then yeah, I'd have to say that would be a little tiresome.
    Don't you know anything you fool it's the unreliable narration and passion of Nabokov coupled with the stream of consciousness of Joyce. It's a masterpiece I tell you!

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:

Speaking of dystopian scifi... I liked Gattaca, and I was really expecting not to.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Feral wrote:
    Hey, I've got a good idea for an action movie. I'll set use an overlong expository speech to set up this bad-ass sounding futuristic martial art, and then when it comes time to show it I'll turn off all the set lights so the fight scene is in pitch black darkness!

This is pretty much what went through my head after that:

Okay, fine. So maybe this isn't an action movie after all. Okay, I can dig that, I'll watch it for the plot. A futuristic dystopia where peoples' natural emotions are suppressed through psychiatric medication? Man, that wasn't original in 1971 when George Lucas ripped off Aldous Huxley, let alone 30 years later. Hey, I remember that puppy scene, only it was a cat and it was in Logan's Run. Did I just get sucked into a time warp? Because this shit is more of a throwback than That 70s Show. At least all those crappy dystopian sci-fi flicks had tits.
    Man Feral, you should hate on shit more often. Maybe we should start a hate thread, but who knows, it might end up drawing off more posters than Phalla.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Feral wrote:
    Senjutsu wrote:

Speaking of dystopian scifi... I liked Gattaca, and I was really expecting not to.
    You speak the truth.

Gim on
    edited December 2006
    Feral wrote:
    Senjutsu wrote:

It surprised everyone. I mean, Ethan Hawke does Sci-Fi? That can't be any good, can it?

Senjutsu on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Hey, I've got a good idea for an action movie. I'll set use an overlong expository speech to set up this bad-ass sounding futuristic martial art, and then when it comes time to show it I'll turn off all the set lights so the fight scene is in pitch black darkness!

This is pretty much what went through my head after that:

Okay, fine. So maybe this isn't an action movie after all. Okay, I can dig that, I'll watch it for the plot. A futuristic dystopia where peoples' natural emotions are suppressed through psychiatric medication? Man, that wasn't original in 1971 when George Lucas ripped off Aldous Huxley, let alone 30 years later. Hey, I remember that puppy scene, only it was a cat and it was in Logan's Run. Did I just get sucked into a time warp? Because this shit is more of a throwback than That 70s Show. At least all those crappy dystopian sci-fi flicks had tits.
    Man Feral, you should hate on shit more often. Maybe we should start a hate thread, but who knows, it might end up drawing off more posters than Phalla.

A hate thread could be fun. I know there's plenty of shitty things worth ranting about that I can think of.

Vincent Grayson on
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Senjutsu wrote:

It surprised everyone. I mean, Ethan Hawke does Sci-Fi? That can't be any good, can it?
    Yeah, me too:

at the beginning
    Oh? A genetic engineering movie? Lemme guess, human spirit conquers all.

at the end
    Man did you see what the human spirit did there? Kick ASS!

Personally I give most of the credit to Jude Law.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:

Does sci-fi require different acting techniques than other dramatic film genres?

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited December 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Senjutsu wrote:

Yeah, me too:

at the beginning
    Oh? A genetic engineering movie? Lemme guess, human spirit conquers all.

at the end
    Man did you see what the human spirit did there? Kick ASS!

Personally I give most of the credit to Jude Law.
    [realspoiler:d25eb73eb0]The furnace[/realspoiler:d25eb73eb0]
    :cry:

:whistle: Alllll byyyyy myyyyyseeeeeeelf :whistle:

Gim on
    edited December 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Senjutsu wrote:

Does sci-fi require different acting techniques than other dramatic film genres?
    Hmmm, perhaps a rephrase in order:

Ethan Hawke is in it? It must suck.

Senjutsu on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Senjutsu wrote:

Ethan Hawke does not stick out in my mind as a particularly great actor in general. Training Day worked, but only because Denzel chewed him up and spit him out in every single scene (which is exactly what he was supposed to do).

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You know, I step out for a while and it's like everyone had a party while I was gone. I've even done a search on Dyna's posts and I still have no idea what the fuck is going on.

I'm sure it's been explained, but could someone give me the short version?

Nova_C on
    edited December 2006
    Nova_C wrote:
    You know, I step out for a while and it's like everyone had a party while I was gone. I've even done a search on Dyna's posts and I still have no idea what the fuck is going on.

Dyna decided this year was the year he was really going to kill Christmas once and for all.

• stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Of all these films being discussed in here, I've seen Blade Runner and THX 1138.

Anyhow, listening to Seeed.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
    edited December 2006
    Nova_C wrote:

this basically

I will say Dyna's a cool dude when he's not insane or being unnecessarily assholish.

stilist on
    edited December 2006
    stilist wrote:
    Of all these films being discussed in here, I've seen Blade Runner and THX 1138.

Go. Rent Gattaca. ASAP.

Senjutsu on
  • OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    fucking dyna had to have his little faux-insane rampage just right now goddamnit

he had to go and fuck up my own plans

dynaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagrip

Oboro on
    words
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    stilist wrote:

Go. Rent Gattaca. ASAP.

I just canceled my Netflix subscription. :(

What is THX 1138 about? It sounds familar.

Sarksus on
    edited December 2006
    stilist wrote:
    Nova_C wrote:

this basically

I will say Dyna's a cool dude when he's not insane or being unnecessarily assholish.
    Apparently we're having a thing? I didn't even know.

Senjutsu on
    edited December 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    stilist wrote:
    Nova_C wrote:

this basically

Yeah, I don't know why he's after you.

stilist on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ohhhhhkay. I was starting to think it was some elaborate prank being played out and I was catching the tail end of it. I did enjoy the Forum History thread, though. I've been around a couple years, but my first foray into posting frightened me back to lurking until recently. I had no idea the forums had been around this long.

Nova_C on
    edited December 2006
    Sarksus wrote:
    Senjutsu wrote:
    stilist wrote:

Go. Rent Gattaca. ASAP.

Dystopian sci-fi. Bald plebes in white jumpsuits live in a dreary underground complex where they're fed massive amounts of psych meds to keep them docile. Then one of them goes off his meds with sexy results. But their android masters don't like it when the primates start shagging without permission so they try to run away. Hilarity ensues.

It would be a sad footnote in the history of sf cinema if it weren't noteworthy for being George Lucas's first feature film.

Feral on

• Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    [spoiler:fbda477930]You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton: I never saved anything for the swim back.[/spoiler:fbda477930]

Quite possibly one of the greatest scenes in cinematic history, IMHO.

Premier kakos on
    edited December 2006
    stilist wrote:
    Senjutsu wrote:
    stilist wrote:
    Nova_C wrote:

this basically

Yeah, I don't know why he's after you.
    He went off on Sherri that day, and she wasn't playing, so I started giving it back to him just to make it fair, and now he's all "I'm comin fo' you boy", I guess. Except he keeps doing it after I go to bed, which is really no fun for anyone.

Senjutsu on
    edited December 2006
    Everytime I think that starting a Daft Punk cover band would be an awesome idea, it quickly occurs to me that doing Prime Time of Your Life would kill the drummer.

Gim on
    edited December 2006
    [spoiler:340a8f01fa]You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton: I never saved anything for the swim back.[/spoiler:340a8f01fa]

I get a little bit misty eyed, every time.

Senjutsu on
    edited December 2006
    Gim wrote:
    Everytime I think that starting a Daft Punk cover band would be an awesome idea, it quickly occurs to me that doing Prime Time of Your Life would kill the drummer.
    Fuck the drummer, this idea is brilliant.

edited December 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    [spoiler:95787e8a73]You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton: I never saved anything for the swim back.[/spoiler:95787e8a73]

You know, thinking about it, Gattaca is actually a awesome retelling of the Faust tale.

Premier kakos on
    edited December 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    [spoiler:3233379397]You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton: I never saved anything for the swim back.[/spoiler:3233379397]

HU -MAN. SPI -RIT.

*clap*clap*
    *clapclapclap*

edited December 2006
    Seriously though guys -- the gas mileage I get on my bike is RIDICULOUS.

edited December 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Senjutsu wrote:
    [spoiler:24dbf12a1e]You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton: I never saved anything for the swim back.[/spoiler:24dbf12a1e]

HU -MAN. SPI -RIT.

*80smotherfuckingslowclap*80smotherfuckingslowclap*
    *80smotherfuckingslowclap80smotherfuckingslowclap80smotherfuckingslowclap*

Fix'd.

Premier kakos on
    edited December 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    I'm getting INFINITE MILES PER GALLON OF GASOLINE on my bicycle. It is pretty awesome.

Premier kakos on
    edited December 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    I'm getting INFINITE MILES PER GALLON OF GASOLINE on my bicycle. It is pretty awesome.
    That's what I'm saying.

And the emissions? Competitive.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Feral wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:
    Senjutsu wrote:
    stilist wrote:

Go. Rent Gattaca. ASAP.

Dystopian sci-fi. Bald plebes in white jumpsuits live in a dreary underground complex where they're fed massive amounts of psych meds to keep them docile. Then one of them goes off his meds with sexy results. But their android masters don't like it when the primates start shagging without permission so they try to run away. Hilarity ensues.

It would be a sad footnote in the history of sf cinema if it weren't noteworthy for being George Lucas's first feature film.

That's why it's familar.

Now what am I gonna do? Go down to Hollywood Video to rent these? Go to a physical location? Yeech.

Sarksus on
    edited December 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    celery77 wrote:
    That's what I'm saying.

And the emissions? Competitive.

All in all, it's pretty awesome. However, I have had this problem that when I push the engine too hard, it falls over and collapses. I think I need to get a full internal inspection of the engine, especially the exhaust system. I think the tailpipes might need to be cleaned out. :winky:

Premier kakos on
  • OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    binge-eating saves lives

Oboro on
    words
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    People are telling me to stop building my model until tomorrow. Their reasoning is a cut on my thumb. This makes no sense, it's not even deep enough for stitches and I inflicted it last night before bed and it has since closed up nicely, and I have been making a point of making some sort of bandage to put on it while working on the kit mostly to prevent cutting myself again (these parts are too tiny to "cut away from you" when shaving off the tree-burrs) or re-openning it from applying too much direct pressure to it at funny angles that I'm not really paying attention to.

I really don't think all those details are necessary to the story, though. It's just a fucking cut, not even good enough to warrant the term laceration. What the fuck is wrong with people that they're freaking out and saying I'm literally going to lose my arm from cutting my damned thumb with a freaking Victorinox? And what makes them think waiting until tomorrow to continue building will stop me from simply cutting my thumb open again then?

Edit: I haven't even got any blood on the Wiessritter. Seriously, what the fuck? Why is everyone I know such a bunch of fucking pansies? And given that, what the fuck business do they have calling me a girl?

ViolentChemistry on
    edited December 2006
    Gim on
  • JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    doggybag24006_228x374.jpg

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.