As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Modern Family: Best new sitcom? Emmy voters think so!

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It can't be that hard.

Also, overseas adoptions are easier for gay couples, aren't they, at least if they want to adopt a baby?

Robos A Go Go on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    It can't be that hard.

Also, overseas adoptions are easier for gay couples, aren't they, at least if they want to adopt a baby?

Is there a large asian community in America that you can just run out and find a 6 month old asian girl whose parents are willing to put her on tv? S'all Im saying, unless they choose to just let her grow up during the show.

DarkWarrior on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It can't be that hard.

Is there a large asian community in America that you can just run out and find a 6 month old asian girl whose parents are willing to put her on tv? S'all Im saying, unless they choose to just let her grow up during the show.

There are asians in the United States, and I'm guessing that just like everyone one else, there are tons of them willing to put their kids on TV so they can be 'stars'.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited October 2009
    For the right amount of money, you could probably pay two people to make a brand new baby you can use in 9 months.

Robos A Go Go on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It can't be that hard.

I'm sure there just might be a few among the 13 million in America.

Quid on
    edited October 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    It can't be that hard.

I'm sure there just might be a few among the 13 million in America.

Im not getting into a thing about it, Im just saying that finding an infant asian baby in 13 mill out of 300 might not be the easiest thing, but I dont know since Ive never tried it before.

DarkWarrior on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It doesn't really matter that it's 13 million out of 300 million. It's still 13 million.

There are a good hundred or so countries with less people than that.

Quid on
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, it's not like you're randomly calling people up and hoping to land on a family with a baby by coincidence. The fact that it's x/300 million doesn't matter.

Robos A Go Go on
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Drakeon wrote: »
    oh god, Cameron freaking out was awesome.

Speaker on
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It can't be that hard.

Is there a large asian community in America that you can just run out and find a 6 month old asian girl whose parents are willing to put her on tv?

Yes.

Speaker on
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Drakeon wrote: »
    oh god, Cameron freaking out was awesome.

Please tell your wife to calm down sir.

That's not my wife!

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Best new show of the season.

Ed O'Neil's face when Manny retired was just so heartbroken and sad.

And then the girl fencer's nurse and fellow patients at the Children's Hospital.

"Maybe we can go out for ice cream afterward."
    "Oh, no, she's diabetic."
    "Of course she is."

"Guilt fades. Hardware is forever."

Taramoor on
  • ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »

And then the girl fencer's nurse and fellow patients at the Children's Hospital.

"Of course she is."

That bit was hilarious.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    They're being smart by having the show almost center on Ed O'Neil. He's doing such and awesome job.

And the kid who play's Manny too.

Kyougu on
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »

"Of course she is."

I still liked last week's episode better. Was still great though. Loved the bit about "charging." And the ABCs of Salesmanship.

ChaosHat on
    edited November 2009
    And Hayley...
    Hayelys pretty
    Gorgeous
    So she will find SOMEONE whos the best at something.

DarkWarrior on
  • CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Did anybody else feel like episode 6 was out of order? The one with school starting? It felt like that should have been episode 2.

Caswynben on
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I like how Claire was wearing a "Claire and Present Danger" t-shirt in a scene, but they didn't go out of their way to call attention to it and go "Hey, I'm wearing a shirt my dad made for me!".

Captain Tragedy on
  • rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I like how Claire was wearing a "Claire and Present Danger" t-shirt in a scene, but they didn't go out of their way to call attention to it and go "Hey, I'm wearing a shirt my dad made for me!".

I noticed it as well, was for tennis it looked like. I'm glad when shows don't beat their audience over the head explaining and pointing out every single joke.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I gave this show a second chance.

It is quite possibly the least funny thing I have ever seen in my life.

Am I like, watching a different show than most people? I have yet to laugh at a single joke on the show. It's awful.

Khavall on
    edited November 2009
    Khavall wrote: »

Hyperbole like that sort of makes it seem like you're trolling. Would you really rank this show below even the average flash in the pan sitcom? Even all the post-Frasier ones starring Kelsey Grammar as a pompous ass?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited November 2009

Hyperbole like that sort of makes it seem like you're trolling. Would you really rank this show below even the average flash in the pan sitcom? Even all the post-Frasier ones starring Kelsey Grammar as a pompous ass?

It is pretty much about the same level as the rest of them. I do not understand why people think it's funny. It's like watching Harry Kissinger read one of those "TOP 100 JOKES OF ALL TIME" books that are really just jokes that everyone is tired of by the time they're 5

Khavall on
    edited November 2009

It is pretty much about the same level as the rest of them. I do not understand why people think it's funny. It's like watching Harry Kissinger read one of those "TOP 100 JOKES OF ALL TIME" books that are really just jokes that everyone is tired of by the time they're 5

Maybe you really are watching a different show. Regardless of whether it hits or misses, the humor isn't that cliched, even if families are familiar subject matter for sitcoms.

And I really don't understand why you'd link the show to Kissinger.

Robos A Go Go on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I don't even get this comparison.

I get the biggest knock against it is that it can get sappy at the end, but I dig that.

Kyougu on
    edited November 2009
    I dont see how anyone could say its the most unfunny thing they've ever seen. I can see people not liking it but most unfunny thing? You haven't watched a lot of comedies. Its pleasant, not very condescending and occasionally it balances out the sap, i.e. Ed's reading of Manny's letter at the end of the first episode.

DarkWarrior on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I honestly think the soccer mom family needs to die in a car accident, and then the show will be peak-awesome.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2009
    I honestly think the soccer mom family needs to die in a car accident, and then the show will be peak-awesome.

I could watch a show with the soccer mom just looking hot all day. And maybe the elder daughter (I checked, shes 18 IRL). I just want the son to die. I hate annoying brats.

DarkWarrior on
    edited November 2009

Maybe you really are watching a different show. Regardless of whether it hits or misses, the humor isn't that cliched, even if families are familiar subject matter for sitcoms.

And I really don't understand why you'd link the show to Kissinger.

I just tried to go for the most boring thing I could think of, and Kissinger speaking came to mind.

Khavall on
    edited November 2009
    What comedies do you like?

Robos A Go Go on
  • InHumanInHuman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Guys, the blonde mom's tits looked HUGE in some scenes. Like when they hugged.

InHuman on
    edited November 2009

Arrested development
    Community
    South park
    Robot chicken
    Better off Ted
    How I met your mother
    30 Rock
    American Dad

Khavall on
    edited November 2009
    InHuman wrote: »

At that moment, Phil's thoughts and my own were one in the same.

And I'm really surprised someone who likes Arrested Development thinks this show is boring. AD was far more farcical, but there's a strong resemblance nonetheless.

Robos A Go Go on
  • InHumanInHuman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Arrested development
    Community
    South park
    30 Rock
    American Dad

The others on your list were shit..

InHuman on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    InHuman wrote: »

At that moment, Phil's thoughts and my own were one in the same.

And I'm really surprised someone who likes Arrested Development thinks this show is boring. AD was far more farcical, but there's a strong resemblance nonetheless.

I like this show, but I think it's pretty significantly different. I see very few references to previously made jokes, and there aren't a ton of puns or sight gags.

Edit: :( It is impossible for American Dad to be better than How I Met Your Mother.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited November 2009
    It's only a few episodes in. AD wasn't referencing earlier jokes within its first episodes either.

Anyway, I was referring more to the fact that they're similar shows structurally, that they both have a kind of wry take on the extended family, and that they differ from most sitcoms in the fact that they're developing a continuity and family history.

Robos A Go Go on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2009
    Of course she is.

Man, that was a really funny episode.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was really expecting to hate the gay couple in this show but Cameron is hysterical.

Hachface on
  • KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hachface wrote: »
    I was really expecting to hate the gay couple in this show but Cameron is hysterical.

I agree. They're gay enough to be funny in a gay way, but also stray from the stereotype enough to make it interesting. Does that make sense? I mean--how he played football, for one. I guess Mitch doesn't really eschew any stereotypes. Their interactions are still very sweet, though, and ring true for me.

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
  • ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kealoha wrote: »

I agree. They're gay enough to be funny in a gay way, but also stray from the stereotype enough to make it interesting. Does that make sense? I mean--how he played football, for one. I guess Mitch doesn't really eschew any stereotypes. Their interactions are still very sweet, though, and ring true for me.

Guess who was a starting lineman for the University of Illinois???
    sgtjamesdoakes.jpg
    Surprise Mother Fucka!
    But really:
    cameron_baby.jpg

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ZeroCow wrote: »
    Kealoha wrote: »

Guess who was a starting lineman for the University of Illinois???
    sgtjamesdoakes.jpg
    Surprise Mother Fucka!
    But really:
    ModernFamily11

Love this.

I'm loving this show, and I'd like to see where they'll take the show. There's been some hints about various things that could happen, espeically soccer family husband having an affair with girl down the street? It's been pretty light so far, so it'd be interested to see the family's take on a scandal in real time. People take sides, arguments, etc etc.

ANTVGM64 on