As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Modern Family: Best new sitcom? Emmy voters think so!

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    ZeroCow wrote: »
    Kealoha wrote: »
    Hachface wrote: »
    I was really expecting to hate the gay couple in this show but Cameron is hysterical.

I agree. They're gay enough to be funny in a gay way, but also stray from the stereotype enough to make it interesting. Does that make sense? I mean--how he played football, for one. I guess Mitch doesn't really eschew any stereotypes. Their interactions are still very sweet, though, and ring true for me.

Guess who was a starting lineman for the University of Illinois???
    sgtjamesdoakes.jpg
    Surprise Mother Fucka!
    But really:
    ModernFamily11

Love this.

I'm loving this show, and I'd like to see where they'll take the show. There's been some hints about various things that could happen, espeically soccer family husband having an affair with girl down the street? It's been pretty light so far, so it'd be interested to see the family's take on a scandal in real time. People take sides, arguments, etc etc.

Wait, what? No way that would ever happen.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was really expecting to hate the gay couple in this show but Cameron is hysterical.

I agree. They're gay enough to be funny in a gay way, but also stray from the stereotype enough to make it interesting. Does that make sense? I mean--how he played football, for one. I guess Mitch doesn't really eschew any stereotypes. Their interactions are still very sweet, though, and ring true for me.

Guess who was a starting lineman for the University of Illinois???
    sgtjamesdoakes.jpg
    Surprise Mother Fucka!
    But really SURPRISE!
    cameron_baby.jpg

Ok, fixed the second spoiler.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »

Love this.

I'm loving this show, and I'd like to see where they'll take the show. There's been some hints about various things that could happen, espeically soccer family husband having an affair with girl down the street? It's been pretty light so far, so it'd be interested to see the family's take on a scandal in real time. People take sides, arguments, etc etc.

Wait, what? No way that would ever happen.

They make it very clear that he is just an idiot, and would never cheat on his wife.

Edit: subconciously, I think he understands that she is the reason he is still alive.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Have you been watching the show? That guy is so under the thumb I bet he asks if he can use the bathroom. Cheating? No chance. He definitely wants to have a threesome though. So he can disappoint two women at once.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    He'd have one of those threesomes where the guy can't figure out how to get involved and then ends up leaving early.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    How the fuck is this on the 5th page?

I love how Jay is just whooping ass on Hayley.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Great episode. Edward Norton on my tv always is a good thing.

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This episode was all right, but Modern Family isn't really great when it's so predictable, and pretty much every joke in the episode was telegraphed from a mile away.

Needs more "dresses like a count" lines. Also more Cam and Mitchell.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Six wrote: »
    This episode was all right, but Modern Family isn't really great when it's so predictable, and pretty much every joke in the episode was telegraphed from a mile away.

Yeah, the whole subplot with the anniversary was really obvious, and so was the ending to that little party the grandpa had. But I still watched the entire episode and eagerly await the next one.

Edward Norton and Elizabeth Banks' scenes were pretty good though.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Malkor wrote: »

Yeah, the whole subplot with the anniversary was really obvious, and so was the ending to that little party the grandpa had. But I still watched the entire episode and eagerly await the next one.

Edward Norton and Elizabeth Banks' scenes were pretty good though.

Yeah, it's not a bad show and I still laughed.

A friend of mine and I were talking about this the other day. Modern Family is kind of a watered-down Arrested Development. The writing is decent, but it's both way more predictable (so many jokes you see coming even before they're set up) and not nearly as dense. In AD, you could watch the same episode four or five times and still be picking up new bits. With MF, it's kind of all there for you without much work.

It's still pretty good and I'll keep watching, but I feel like the show is getting even more obvious as it progresses rather than the other way around, which is a little disappointing.

Six on
  • Options
    ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Heres an idea

Stop comparing every goddamn show to Arrested Development

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thane wrote: »
    Heres an idea

That won't happen. Hell, some people compare new shows to Cheers or M*A*S*H, bastards.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Heres an idea

I didn't compare every show to Arrested Development, I compared this one. For a host of what I hope are obvious reasons.

Six on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Heres an idea

I can't ever watch C.O.P.S since it's a poor man version of Arrested Development.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Heres an idea

I can't ever watch C.O.P.S since it's a poor man version of Arrested Development.

Now I just imagine Larry David with extend-o arms.

"Fighting crime... in a future time."

Taramoor on
  • Options
    ArlingtonArlington Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I still enjoyed it.

It's the unexpected side stuff that really gets me laughing though. When Jay started spraying manny with the water bottle I almost died.

Arlington on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Arlington wrote: »

I still enjoyed it.

It's the unexpected side stuff that really gets me laughing though. When Jay started spraying manny with the water bottle I almost died.

yeah, the unexpected stuff is what makes it good, I just think far too much of it is predictable right now. It seemed less so the first couple of episodes to me.

Almost everything Manny does makes me laugh.

Six on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I found Manny's stance somewhat weird considering how seriously he takes his 'family' and by his interpretation Hayley is his niece.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    For Manny, Love conquers all.

Six on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I actually really liked the gift plot. Up until that point I was having trouble understanding why she was married to him since I hadn't really seen any redeeming qualities.

Quid on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Not only did it show that he had some redeeming qualities, it also showed that she was also a bit of a well-intentioned fuck-up like him. They seem a bit more of a match after this episode.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yeah that too. Up til now it just seemed like the standard married couple situation that's in most sitcoms.

Quid on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Great episode. Edward Norton on my tv always is a good thing.

The whole episode I thought, "That guy looks a lot like Edward Norton." I would think he'd have better things to do, good as this show is.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I seemed to remember reading somewhere that Norton is a friend of the "cool dad" (Ty Burrell) in real life, which is how they got them.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Favorite episode of the season.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Clowns are now both creepy and awesome in my opinion.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Zookeeper was pretty.

Also, favorite part was seeing a clown ready to give a beatdown at a garage station.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh God the gas station.

That was wonderful and I love that man even more.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The fuck, why is noone talking about the Xmas episode?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    No idea.
    It was more "awww" than it was "haha" though. Other than skinny Santa punching choir douche in the face and running off.

Also, I've read it elsewhere, but last night it was more noticeable that middle child girl actor kind of sucks. Made up for by Manny's actor being awesome.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    "Stop talking black to me."

Ha, great episode so far.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I love this show.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I love this show but I have to say I thought the Christmas Episode was terrible.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArlingtonArlington Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I love this show.

Same. The gay couple is really growing on me (Didn't think much of them one way or the other when the series was introduced.)

But between the big guy crying in bed listening to the baby monitor and "It's cute would would think that", I think their parts where the best part of last nights episode.

The whole premise that they would call the fire company in either situation was kind of .... far fetched, but I'll forgive it since it was just a setup for the following jokes.

"I would hate the last thing you said to me to be a lie"

Arlington on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Man, Ed O'neil is so awesome. He makes the entire show.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    No idea.
    It was more "awww" than it was "haha" though. Other than skinny Santa punching choir douche in the face and running off.

Also, I've read it elsewhere, but last night it was more noticeable that middle child girl actor kind of sucks. Made up for by Manny's actor being awesome.

Yea, the Alex character is pretty annoying. I thought Haley was awful, but she gets that aloof teen angle down pretty great. And Luke is just. . .Luke. But Alex - not at all a good child actor.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    mf0110f.img_assist_custom.jpg

This was the best subplot. Ever. The last part with Cam doing his voice was hilarious. I'm really amused that him and Bundy always seem to get along so well and agree on most things.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I really just want a show centering on the gay couple.

Because God damn.

Quid on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Reynolds wrote: »
    mf0110f.img_assist_custom.jpg

This was the best subplot. Ever. The last part with Cam doing his voice was hilarious. I'm really amused that him and Bundy always seem to get along so well and agree on most things.

edited because what I wrote made no sense: but Ed's character/ and as an actor is amazing because of the chemistry he creates with all the other characters as a father figure.

I could do with the suburban soccer mom family all getting run over one episode and it just being the fathers family and the gay couple. I think the only really funny thing to come out of the soccer mom family, is "dont talk black to me." They had good moments, episodes where the father redeemed himself, but overall those plots are all mediocre/not funny.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png