As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WTF, Chuck

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Ed321 wrote: »
    Well, you're going to have to, cause right now you're making my head hurt.

I've laid out my explanation twice now, and each time you respond by quoting it and making some snide remark. Guess what, these:
    Seriously?
    Seriously, just....just please stop.

are not convincing responses.

That's because your "explanations" are utter trash.

you seem to think this is a qualitatively different reply to what you previously said.

No, not really. His explanations were trash, and still are trash. Nobody thinks "Oh, look at that. What a nice man, respecting the flag and the founding fathers" when they see someone submerging their flag.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    its a piece of cloth with some color on it

you are talking like a priest speaks about the blood and flesh of christ before he drinks fermented grape juice and breaks some bread

flags aren't important

what they represent is important

otherwise the supreme court of your own country wouldn't have declared doing whatever the hell you want to a flag is protected free speech. whereas you make it out to be a crime.

i see no justification for the rage here that isn't grounded in the near deification of a piece of bloody colored cloth.

that rent claims he would want to inflict violence on someone for doing something purely symbolic to his precious flag is actually pretty chilling.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I've laid out my explanation twice now, and each time you respond by quoting it and making some snide remark. Guess what, these:
    Seriously?

you seem to think this is a qualitatively different reply to what you previously said.

No, not really. His explanations were trash, and still are trash. Nobody thinks "Oh, look at that. What a nice man, respecting the flag and the founding fathers" when they see someone submerging their flag.
    I dunno, I'd guess that more than a few British flags were desecrated during the revolution, while the founding fathers were all still technically British citizens. Fighting against injustice (however retardedly stupidly perceived it may be in some cases) is kind of one of the tenets of democracy after all.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Seriously?

No, captain strawman, their brain goes "American Flag + Tea = Boston Tea Party (YAY 'MURRICA)", compared to "American Flag + On Fire = Bad America".

Ed321 on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

you are talking like a priest speaks about the blood and flesh of christ before he drinks fermented grape juice and breaks some bread

flags aren't important

Yeah

That's my point

At the end of the day, someone pouring tea on a flag doesn't really matter

But they're doing something they know is offensive and will piss off a lot of people because a lot of people (rightfully so) view the flag as more than a piece of cloth so that they can...piss a lot of people off and get attention, 99 times out of 100

Thus the desire to kick the shit out of them

Rent on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Seriously?

No, captain strawman, their brain goes "American Flag + Tea = Boston Tea Party (YAY 'MURRICA)", compared to "American Flag + On Fire = Bad America".

That's exactly what I just said

And repeating things does not make them true.

edit: Also, what Rent just said

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dipping a flag in tea has no such connotations. Therefore the average person would regard a tea stained flag as a patriotic image, and a burning one as...whatever the opposite of patriotism is.

I can't believe I have to explain to an American why a flag dipped in tea is meant as a patriotic act, and a flag set on fire isn't.
    There's no fucking difference between the two. People burn flags as a statement of controversy to garner attention to political causes. People deface them with tea stains as a statement meant to invoke controversy and to gain the attention of the public for their own, personal causes.

It doesn't matter why you fucking do it, it's still defacement and disrespectful to the flag, and the country itself. And, speaking personally, if I ever caught someone doing it and trying to justify it with bullshit hypocritical arguements like that, i'd probably knock them right the hell off of their feet.

On a slightly different issue, I haven't seen this much blatant hypocrisy since the radical pro-life abortion clinic bombings, and the attacks on doctors. Several pro-life members of some of those same affiliated groups ended up getting caught getting abortions after they got pregnant, and claimed that it was "ok for them" since they were doing God's work or some-such crap.

Despite not really wanting to believe it, I can't help but think that, more and more, the Republican party has been taken over by the same sort of idiots with a sense of self-entitlement that you'd see on TV every now and then back then.

I mean, jesus, you could at least stick your beliefs when it comes to something you've been espousing for the last eight years.

It's not like the vast majority of your opposition is going to forget that elements of the Republican party were the ones accusing people of "hating this country" when people brought up the negative points on the war in Iraq, or possible corruption within the administration, along with all the other crap that got sent their way.

Hell, these protestors should be thankful that they can even get coverage now. If Obama hadn't repealed Bush's "free speech zones" they'd get shoved off into a corner somewhere where almost no elements of the main-stream media would pay attention to them.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Seriously?

Yeah you...you really don't know what you're talking about

Rent on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

edit: Also, what Rust just said

I'm not Rust :(

Rent on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Rent wrote: »

Godammit!

You are now.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Godammit!

You are now.

i'm smouldering with generic rage
    okay done

Rent on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Bunch of internet tough guys here. Kick someone's ass for defacing the flag? Go 1st Amendment!

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

flags aren't important

Yeah

That's my point

But they're doing something they know is offensive and will piss off a lot of people because a lot of people (rightfully so) view the flag as more than a piece of cloth so that they can...piss a lot of people off and get attention, 99 times out of 100

the appropriate response to attention grabbing is violence to put them in their place?

are you aware of how conservative you sound to someone who does not have the extreme emotion (patriotic feelings) underlying his approach to this?

i could judiciously swap your words with a republicans and not know the difference

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Anyone who looks at my flag cock-eyed is going to get a fist in their liberal, terrorist, fascist faces.

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    edited September 2009

flags aren't important

Yeah

That's my point

the appropriate response to attention grabbing is violence to put them in their place?

are you aware of how conservative you sound to someone who does not have the extreme emotion (patriotic feelings) underlying his approach to this?

i could judiciously swap your words with a republicans and not know the difference

It's not the attention grabbing that makes people want to use violence.

It's the willful ignorance of the facts, and reality, in favor of what's essentially trolling the political arena in an effort to stop all progress and discourse on a national level, due to an election that the Republicans, fairly, lost, that, in my experience, tends to drive people up the walls.

Archonex on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Bunch of internet tough guys here. Kick someone's ass for defacing the flag? Go 1st Amendment!

The 1st amendment also gives the right to be angry over someone defacing a flag.

Not necessarily harm them physically, but atleast a few good insults and curse words.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Yeah, except I don't fucking do it

Just because I want to kick the ever loving shit out of someone who defaces the flag doesn't mean I do it, since it's their inalienable right to be a douche

Doesn't mean I have to be all "Yes, this is your right and I support your douchbaginess!"

It's like when someone tries to argue with me that waterboarding isn't torture, or was the right thing to do

Just because I want to beat the shit out of them doesn't mean I actually do it

Rent on
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Initially, my reaction to anyone doing something to the American flag is to leap to intentional defacement. Ed's arguments have swayed me a bit, and I can see how a person might see a US flag stained in tea as a celebration of an American ideal rather than a criticism of the country.

Sewing a picture of the Liberty Bell or representation of the Constitution might also qualify as defacement according to the flag code, but that doesn't mean it's intentional. Motive matters.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I dunno, I'd guess that more than a few British flags were desecrated during the revolution, while the founding fathers were all still technically British citizens. Fighting against injustice (however retardedly stupidly perceived it may be in some cases) is kind of one of the tenets of democracy after all.

Although we weren't thinking, "yay britain" when we desecrated them.

But desecrating american flag is "yay america".

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Octoparrot wrote: »

Although we weren't thinking, "yay britain" when we desecrated them.

But desecrating american flag is "yay america".
    Actually it's "dammit America what the fuck is wrong with you that we've gotten to this point?"

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    i think you are missing my point

if you truly want to inflict violence upon a person for a difference in views i think thats pretty fucking messed up and just wrong on so many levels i dont know how to properly express it

seriously

beating people up for a flag

take away all the frankly ridiculous justifications and convoluted arguments for it, and think about it. beating people up. hitting them with your fists.
    because they say shit you dont like
    thats fucked up

Morninglord on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    lazegamer wrote: »
    Initially, my reaction to anyone doing something to the American flag is to leap to intentional defacement. Ed's arguments have swayed me a bit, and I can see how a person might see a US flag stained in tea as a celebration of an American ideal rather than a criticism of the country.

This is why my first thought was "tacky and ignorant".

Maybe I love america so much I want to paint my flag glow-in-the-dark, so everyone can see how patriotic I am, even at night.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Sewing a picture of the Liberty Bell or representation of the Constitution might also qualify as defacement according to the flag code, but that doesn't mean it's intentional. Motive matters.

Unless they're functionally retarded they know what they're doing is going to be offensive to a lot of people and will still do it anyway

So they're either douches or retards

Which one, GOP. Which one

Rent on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Seriously?

Yeah you...you really don't know what you're talking about

Yeah you...you really need to stop posting infantile one-liners.

Type "American Flag" + "tea-stained/tea" into GIS.

Compare it to "American Flag + Fire/burning".

Curiously, one of these involves rather a lot more "Death to America" than the other! :winky:
    There's no fucking difference between the two. People burn flags as a statement of controversy to garner attention to political causes. People deface them with tea stains as a statement meant to invoke controversy and to gain the attention of the public for their own, personal causes.

It doesn't matter why you fucking do it, it's still defacement and disrespectful to the flag, and the country itself. And, speaking personally, if I ever caught someone doing it and trying to justify it with bullshit hypocritical arguements like that, i'd probably knock them right the hell off of their feet.

I'm not clear here, do you have a problem with the argument they use to justify doing something to a flag? Or is just damaging the flag at all unnacceptable?

Ed321 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Yeah, except I don't fucking do it

Just because I want to kick the ever loving shit out of someone who defaces the flag doesn't mean I do it, since it's their inalienable right to be a douche

Doesn't mean I have to be all "Yes, this is your right and I support your douchbaginess!"

It's like when someone tries to argue with me that waterboarding isn't torture, or was the right thing to do

Just because I want to beat the shit out of them doesn't mean I actually do it

alright, i can dig your reasons for saying it as just being an expression of anger

theres no functional way for me to tell the difference in your intent without you coming out and saying what you did though, which is why i challenged your statement.

im not a mind reader :P we cool?

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

if you truly want to inflict violence upon a person for a difference in views i think thats pretty fucking messed up and just wrong on so many levels i dont know how to properly express it

seriously

take away all the frankly ridiculous justifications and convoluted arguments for it, and think about it. beating people up. hitting them with your fists.
    thats fucked up

Again, it's not what the flag is it's what it represents

Holy shit
    What is so hard about this concept that is impossible for you to understand

That objects can have symbolic meaning to people

Rent on
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Unless they're functionally retarded they know what they're doing is going to be offensive to a lot of people and will still do it anyway

If people get offended by something you do, that doesn't necessarily mean that you are a douche. Sometimes they get offended because they don't understand your message.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • Options
    edited September 2009

seriously

thats fucked up

Would I go out and actively pursue an attack against people I disagree with? Hell no. It's their right to believe what they want. Hell, it's one of the founding principles of this country.

That being said, I strongly disagree with many of the beliefs of the opposition to the current administration, given what they're based on. And if someone tried to convince me that defacing a flag, be they Democrat, or Republican, was "patriotic", and then got all smug about it, i'd be hard-pressed not to lose my temper.

It's accepted, traditionally, amongst most that you don't screw with the flag in terms of politics. It's a symbol of our country, and should be treated as such. As such, i'm very much against it being defaced in any way, shape, or form to further someone's political agenda.

In my eyes, you had might as well just smear shit all over it, since you're dragging it through the proverbial mud to garner attention to your beliefs. It's just sleazy and bad politics.

If that makes me wrong in the eyes of others, or make them think that I have issues, then so be it.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    the main thing thats impossible to understand is when the subject goes to

violence

and then i get a bzzt fucked up error

and can't continue

i think we've cleared up its just expressing anger

i mean, to me, i would just say "that makes me feel really angry" less chance of being misconstrued

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

If people get offended by something you do, that doesn't necessarily mean that you are a douche. Sometimes they get offended because they don't understand your message.

I think we're talking across each other

If you're planning to do something, something that will obviously piss off a lot of fucking people, and you know it, and you do it anyways, that, pretty much always, makes you a douche

It's like... let's say I was making a statement on book burning, and how wrong it is

So to illustrate the point I burn the bible

I mean, seriously

Rent on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

seriously

thats fucked up

Again, it's not what the flag is it's what it represents

Holy shit
    What is so hard about this concept that is impossible for you to understand

That objects can have symbolic meaning to people

He specifically pointed out the fact that it's the symbolism behind the act that's important several posts back. This is why there's a difference between burning a flag to symbolize the fact you hate america, burning a flag to celebrate free speech in america, burning a flag as part of ceremonially disposing of it, and staining a flag with tea to celebrate the ideals of the boston tea party.

Ed321 on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm kind of floored that this is even a thing.

I'm having trouble understanding why anyone would even care what Chuck Norris has to say.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

im not a mind reader :P we cool?

Yeah, we cool

Rent on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I'm having trouble understanding why anyone would even care what Chuck Norris has to say.

Because he's a racist.

Ed321 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Because famous people are more important than the rest of us. And they obviously know more than people who've spent their entire lives learning about the subject.

Vote or die!

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Seriously. The irony is palatable. I love America and therefore have an overwhelming compulsion to beat the shit out of people exercising their constitutional rights. Maybe if I'm feeling frisky I will arrest them without due process and quarter some soldiers in their houses, because that's just how I roll.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

He specifically pointed out the fact that it's the symbolism behind the act that's important several posts back. This is why there's a difference between burning a flag to symbolize the fact you hate america, burning a flag to celebrate free speech in america, burning a flag as part of ceremonially disposing of it, and staining a flag with tea to celebrate the ideals of the boston tea party.

No, except for your third point, every instance of what you just said is disrespectful and a desecration of the flag
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »

Seriously. The irony is palatable. I love America and therefore have an overwhelming compulsion to beat the shit out of people exercising their constitutional rights. Maybe if I'm feeling frisky I will arrest them without due process and quarter some soldiers in their houses, because that's just how I roll.

Honestly, I expected better out of you man than strawmanning our opinions

Rent on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Can we just agree Chuck Norris is an idiot?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    there's nothing wrong with feeling anger its pretty normal

im just a cautious person who makes a clear distinction between "anger" and "violence"

Morninglord on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So I see a brown stained Flag flying and my brain is supposed to automatically jump to the conclusion that they a: dipped it in tea, and b: did so to pay homage to the Boston tea party as a celebration of America?

Would anyone seeing a brown stained flag actually think that?

Khavall on