As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tattoo Options

Reservoir AngelReservoir Angel __BANNED USERS regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I've been seriously considering getting myself a tattoo recently, cause I've always wanted one but have never been able to because of my mum's hegemonic domination over my entire life. But now I'm moved out to Uni I can do whatever I want, so I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get one. Trouble is, I'm not sure what to get. I've got a few choices in mind but can only afford one of them. So I'm hoping you guys can give a little bit of a personal opinion on which one will be the best...or the least lame. The ones I've got it limited to are:

1) One of my right forearm that looks like that scene from "Terminator" when Arnie rips his arm open to fiddle with the mechanics of himself.

2) A decepticon logo on my shoulder.

3) One on my right forearm, but closer to the wrist, that reads "大きく赤い機械"

4) On my left wrist that looks like a bracelet/armband made of fire

5) My boyfriend's name somewhere (not sure where yet).

Opinions/comments/hateful insults?

Reservoir Angel on

• EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    5) perhaps wait until he is more than a boyfriend.

EskimoDave on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Never get a significant others name. Never.

Also, do you want a tattoo or do you want to piss mummy off? Because if your bf's name made the top 5 it makes me wonder if you've actually thought this out.

And if a friend of mine ever got a bracelet or armband of fire I'd tease them mercilessly until the day they died. And then I'd crack jokes at the funeral.

VisionOfClarity on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Do NOT get the Terminator one. You'll regret that one more than you know.

Esh on
  • Reservoir AngelReservoir Angel __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    So eliminating the ones that are rejected, I've got 2 and 3 left as options now.

Reservoir Angel on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The closer its towards the wrist, the harder it is to cover. What do you want to do for a living?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
    edited September 2009
    So eliminating the ones that are rejected, I've got 2 and 3 left as options now.

Wow, you were swayed fast

Improvolone on
    edited September 2009

I didn't say I'd immediately eliminate them, it's just a hypothetical elimination. I've made a note of the three a
    that are deemed as bad ideas.

Reservoir Angel on
    edited September 2009

I didn't say I'd immediately eliminate them, it's just a hypothetical elimination. I've made a note of the three a

To be honest #3 relies on what it means and if you're white. Nothing makes me laugh harder than seeing some white kid with lots of Japanese/Hindu/etc writing that they don't understand but think it means 'graceful warrior' or some other ridiculous thing they saw on the internet once. Well, that's a lie, I laugh harder when they find out it's misspelled or means something entirely different.

VisionOfClarity on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    if you are going to do #2, don't just do a decepticon symbol
    do something even more awesome
    Cobra_Decepticon_symbol.png

Antimatter on
    edited September 2009

To be honest #3 relies on what it means and if you're white. Nothing makes me laugh harder than seeing some white kid with lots of Japanese/Hindu/etc writing that they don't understand but think it means 'graceful warrior' or some other ridiculous thing they saw on the internet once. Well, that's a lie, I laugh harder when they find out it's misspelled or means something entirely different.
    As far as I'm aware it means "Big Red Machine"

Reservoir Angel on
  • MogsMogs Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

#3 = "big red machine"

Maybe I'm missing something really cool about that, but I doubt it.

Mogs on
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think of tattoos as things that are and probably always will be very important to the person being tattooed. Things that are somehow representative or symbolic of that person. For example, my friend's last name is Oliveira and she has a tattoo of an olive branch on her shoulder. Another of my friends is a math teacher and he has the symbol for pi on his wrist.

I don't see any of your five options as being particularly representative of who you are as a person. They seem pretty generic or pop-culture related. Maybe you want to sit down and really think about what is important enough to you that you are willing to wear it on your skin until death or plastic surgery do you part.

Quoth on
  • FloofyFloofy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is this a joke post? All these options are so close to every cliche of terrible tattoos. I would say- avoid names, languages/alphabets that you don't speak fluently (apologies if you do), cheesy skinrips and go for something that fulfils some of the following:

1. Easily concealed if need be ie not neck/wrist
    2. You can imagine wearing with pride at your most refined/formal- these means finding a great tattooist that'll put something you're really happy with on your body.
    3. Something that will suit your body- flow well, be placed well. Again a good tattooist is essential, and will avoid the "I look like a 13 year olds doodled on me" style that you see (mostly on girls tbh) I'm not arguing against a small piece to begin with- just make sure it won't look plonked in the middle of nowhere.

When you do decide on an artist/design, wait. Wait for about 6 months to a year until you're certain. The tattoo will be on you for the rest of your life, and you want something that'll look good if you're going to make that commitment.

Floofy on
    edited September 2009
    As someone who when I was your age got a lot of spontaneous "pop culturey" and whimsimical tattoos I would say NO to all of them and just wait till you find something really meaningful you want.

Otherwise you end up with full sleeve tattoos to cover up all the little tattoos you got as a kid. Like me. :P

Esh on
  • KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah--general rule seems to be, come up with an idea that you think you really like and then revisit it 6 or so months later.

Sometimes that doesn't even work, though, because there was a tattoo I've wanted for the past four years, but now I just don't think I'd want to have something like that on my body.

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!
    edited September 2009
    Quoth wrote: »
    I think of tattoos as things that are and probably always will be very important to the person being tattooed. Things that are somehow representative or symbolic of that person. For example, my friend's last name is Oliveira and she has a tattoo of an olive branch on her shoulder. Another of my friends is a math teacher and he has the symbol for pi on his wrist.

I don't see any of your five options as being particularly representative of who you are as a person. They seem pretty generic or pop-culture related. Maybe you want to sit down and really think about what is important enough to you that you are willing to wear it on your skin until death or plastic surgery do you part.
    Because I'm not a proper person. I've got no symbolic stuff about me except my name.

Reservoir Angel on
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Because I'm not a proper person. I've got no symbolic stuff about me except my name.

Then I think maybe you shouldn't get a tattoo. Just sayin.

Quoth on
    edited September 2009

VisionOfClarity on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My rule for tattoos, applied to myself and recommended to others, is that you shouldn't get it until you've been sure you want that exact design in that exact place for a full year. I'm on the conservative side of things, though.

Also, your ideas are awful. Just get a nose ring or something to piss your mom off; that will heal over at least when you realize you were an idiot.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited September 2009
    I love the idea of a radical piercing in your situation.

In general, fuck you. Tattoos can mean something, but tattoos can also just serve the sole purpose of looking awesome. Not all tattoos have to be "omg this represents LIFE".

The idea of waiting X months to make sure though, is indeed a great idea. Even if its just something that is gonna look awesome, waiting can only help. The Terminator tattoo might look awesome but it can also look really ugly. It's your body it's your call.

Improvolone on
  • KeyScourgeKeyScourge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009

If your name is Angel as I guess it is by your forum name, that's the basis for a nice tattoo right there.

And in the name of inspiring more ideas, why "Reservoir" Angel as your forum name?

P.S: If you are just doing this to piss off your mum you might want to reconsider.

P.S.S: Isn't "The Big Red Machine" what they call Kane from the WWE? If so then I'd seriously rule out that one.

KeyScourge on
    edited September 2009
    KeyScourge wrote: »

If your name is Angel as I guess it is by your forum name, that's the basis for a nice tattoo right there.

And in the name of inspiring more ideas, why "Reservoir" Angel as your forum name?

P.S: If you are just doing this to piss off your mum you might want to reconsider.

P.S.S: Isn't "The Big Red Machine" what they call Kane from the WWE? If so then I'd seriously rule out that one.
    Yes, my name is Angel. And it's Reservoir Angel because of how fucking mutch I love the film Reservoir Dogs.

I'm not just doing it to annoy my mum. I don't intend for her ever to find out personally. I've wanted one for ages, it's just her that's stopped me.

And yes, the Big Red Machine is J.R's "affection" name for Kane.

Hold on...Reservoir Angel. Haha! I got myself another idea! A guy in a suit like in Reservoir Dogs, in the same style as that black-and-white picture of them all near the beginning, but with angel's wings. It would be a problem if I stopped liking the film, but that's impossible!

Reservoir Angel on
    edited September 2009
    As someone with fourteen years of tattoo getting experience, I'm just shaking my head at you right now. I honestly think the legal age for tattoos should be 30.

Esh on
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    not every tattoo has to be "deep," I know a lot of people with tattoos they got just because something was awesome, but they tend to be second or third or nth tattoos - the person has decided they like tattooing, itself, enough to get a purely decorative one. Also, one man's dumb, corny shit is another person's sacred thing. I've seen people get really bad art because a relative drew it for them, or people who deliberately have a personally meaningful piece of art slightly "tribalized" so if they don't want to share with the person who asks, they can tell them it was flash.

Your ideas seem to be rather focused on visible places and shallowly developed - which is not to say insincere - tattoo concepts. You might want to seriously look at a few more ideas and a LOT of tattoos. I would sincerely advise you to not get your first tattoo on your wrist, hands, face, or neck.

Disclaimer: I myself have, in 30 years of mostly associating with very tattooed segments of society, talked myself out of every tattoo idea I have ever come up with, so whatever.

JohnnyCache on
  • mystikspyralmystikspyral Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I love tattoos. I have three. Where? On my back and on the outside of each leg.

Why in those places? Because I get office jobs. Some don't care if they show but eventually I'll run into one where I need to keep them covered. Seriously consider what you want to do with your life. If your job will require you to keep them covered do you really want to wear long sleeves every day?

Also, I really strongly advise against getting a boyfriend's name. All the tattoo artists I've ever met will do those tattoos but also claim they are a curse on relationships.

I was friends with a couple who did that. They both had kids from other relationships. They had stars done, large ones, with their names as well as the names of all of their collective kids. It turns out he was cheating on her. Never, never tattoo someone's name unless it's a memorial tattoo or a tribute to your beloved parent.

mystikspyral on
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'Fuck the lemons,' and bail" :rotate:
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It honestly sounds like you're just coming up with these ideas as you type. Please, please wait two years - most of these ideas traverse the range between hilariously bad and entirely unfortunate.

Charles Kinbote on
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I love the idea of a radical piercing in your situation.

In general, fuck you. Tattoos can mean something, but tattoos can also just serve the sole purpose of looking awesome. Not all tattoos have to be "omg this represents LIFE".

The idea of waiting X months to make sure though, is indeed a great idea. Even if its just something that is gonna look awesome, waiting can only help. The Terminator tattoo might look awesome but it can also look really ugly. It's your body it's your call.

I wanna lime you all night long.

It's basically a permanent accessory. Can it mean something? Sure? Can it just be fun and/or good looking? Sure can.

I have a couple of friends who have fun, stupid tattoos and they're great fun for anyone involved and are fantastic conversation pieces.

Still. Do not get name of SO. Just.. don't.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Eh, if you are female and not a gay guy it is actually pretty easy to cover up wrist tattoos, just invest in several (nice) chunky bracelets or a larger than average watch.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It honestly sounds like you're just coming up with these ideas as you type. Please, please wait two years - most of these ideas traverse the range between hilariously bad and entirely unfortunate.

I like the waiting rule. Decide on a tattoo, then wait at least one year before you get it. But I waited, and am still tired of my tattoo 4 years later.

A short list of things you should never get:
    1. barbed wire
    2. kanji (unless you are asian), or some such tattoo that fetishizes some ethnicity of which you are not a part
    3. loony toons characters
    4. names

Also, allow this site to scare you away from the idea of even wanting one.

Saddler on