As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

bike crash!

TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
i ate shit sorta bad on my bike last night

my left shoulder and left ankle are painful enough to wake me when i roll over through most of the night...

i've never broken a bone; but, i'd imagine it would hurt a lot more than this. there's no discoloration/bruising on the aforementioned items; but, they are a bit swollen.

i don't know if it merits a trip to the doctor and/or x-rays. i would just make an appointment and go do it; but, i'm currently stupid broke because of a few medical bills accrued in the last month (nothing related) - and, i would really like to be able to buy some christmas presents here in a month.

think it's worth a trip to the doc; or, something that ice and ibuprofen can handle?

TyrantCow on

• Options
    underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Best to go to the doctor if you're unsure.

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    does it hurt when you move your arm or left ankle? if you can walk, I doubt your ankle is broken and if you have full rotation of your arm without intense pain I doubt you broke your arm either.

not a doctor of course.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    ArasenArasen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Have someone compare your shoulders and ankles. They'll be better able to spot any deformities or swelling. Also, have them feel the areas to check for anthing different, and once again compare to the shoulder and ankle that feel fine. If there's swelling and tenderness to touch it would be better to go get an xray done. Could be nothing, could be a fracture.

Arasen on
    [SIGPIC]steam_sig.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My experience is only limited to breaking my wrist, but when you've broken a bone, you know. Still, a trip to the doctor would be best, just to be sure.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Take a hot shower. If you come out feeling better, its a sprain. If you come out screaming in pain, it's broken.

Basically the logic only works to pretty rough breaks though, if you've just got a hairline fracture that doesn't actually protrude any it might not work as well.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    ArasenArasen Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Take a hot shower. If you come out feeling better, its a sprain. If you come out screaming in pain, it's broken.

Basically the logic only works to pretty rough breaks though, if you've just got a hairline fracture that doesn't actually protrude any it might not work as well.

Hence the need for someone to palpate the injury site.

Arasen on
    [SIGPIC]steam_sig.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Try a free clinic? You can at least get a doctor to look at it.

Casual on
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    R.I.C.E.

If it still hurts 2 days later and you don't have 90% range of motion, go to the doctor.

Buddies on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Do you have health insurance? See if you can spring for a walk in clinic maybe.

MushroomStick on