Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[STEAM] New Calculator w/ Regional Prices (Page 98)

1246762

Posts

  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I am heartbroken that I missed the $15 L4D sale. Oh well, I can wait.

    I've had STEAM for a while but I haven't utilized the Community features at all. What am I missing out on?

    AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User
    edited October 2009
    Watching what your friends buy, what they play, or what achievements they get.

    Xtarath on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Xtarath wrote: »
    Watching what your friends buy, what they play, or what achievements they get.

    Jumping straight into a game of TF2 or L4D with them. Chat and voice coms across all games.

    subedii on
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hmm. Can't seem to get the Steam Calculator working for my account; it's already set to public, but the calculator site says it's private.

    Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Taranis wrote: »
    Can someone invite me to the main PA group?

    I would like an invite too. :D

    Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What time do the Weekend Deals end?

    Couscous on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mondayish

    Dehumanized on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mondayish

    Is it eastern time, some other time, or whenever they feel like it time?

    Couscous on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    Mondayish

    Is it eastern time, some other time, or whenever they feel like it time?

    If anything it would be Pacific time (since they're based in like Seattle or something) but usually it's whenever they get around to it.

    Darmak on
    eg62xrm.jpg
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Suds wrote: »
    I'd have to look at my code again, but essentially I was getting all the IDs from one of the valve employee's game list, then going to each of those pages and grabbing the current price of that game.

    Wait, so are you already doing the historical pricing thing?

    Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    No
    And in fact that was all work I'd done for SteamCalculator.com a site which I no longer have any affiliation and have no access too.

    I'd have to re-engineer a solution from scratch if I wanted to make a calculator. But I can't be assed to do it.

    Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Huh, a demo to Risen and Overlord 2, gotta get those.

    RoyceSraphim on
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I liked the demo of Risen, but it wasn't long enough to really get a feel for the game.

    Sure did look pretty though.

    Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Suds wrote: »
    No
    And in fact that was all work I'd done for SteamCalculator.com a site which I no longer have any affiliation and have no access too.

    I'd have to re-engineer a solution from scratch if I wanted to make a calculator. But I can't be assed to do it.

    What happened with Steam Calculator?

    Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Anyone have any experience with using one steam account on multiple computers? I want to play world of goo on my netbook but I also don't want to have to pirate it or buy it again.

    Fizban140 on
    533570-1.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    1-install steam on the netbook.
    2-install World of Goo via steam on the netbook.
    3-play World of Goo.

    Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    1-install steam on the netbook.
    2-install World of Goo via steam on the netbook.
    3-play World of Goo.

    4- you cant be logged in on two computers at once.


    Thats the only caveat though.

    DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • freakish lightfreakish light Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    if you log in, put that computer to sleep, log in on another one and wake the first computer back up I think you can be logged in both places at once. I think it's happened to me on accident once or twice.

    freakish light on
  • IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    if you log in, put that computer to sleep, log in on another one and wake the first computer back up I think you can be logged in both places at once. I think it's happened to me on accident once or twice.

    Wouldn't it be easier to just change Steam on the netbook to Offline mode? That way he can just run it without it connecting.

    IdolNinja on
  • RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I was playing through the new Crash Course DLC for Left 4 Dead, when I heard the following conversation between Bill and Zoey. I was moving past a broken pipe blowing out steam when it happened.

    Bill: Hey, watch out for that steam!
    Zoey: Hmmm, steam...
    Bill: Yeah, steam's alright, I guess.

    I couldn't hear if Francis expressed his hate for steam, though. :)

    Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Roshin wrote: »
    I was playing through the new Crash Course DLC for Left 4 Dead, when I heard the following conversation between Bill and Zoey. I was moving past a broken pipe blowing out steam when it happened.

    Bill: Hey, watch out for that steam!
    Zoey: Hmmm, steam...
    Bill: Yeah, steam's alright, I guess.

    I couldn't hear if Francis expressed his hate for steam, though. :)

    It's Francis and not Bill that says that.

    Peewi on
    Switch: SW-6132-4331-5349 || Steam
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    I know valve use to have some weird policy about connecting to your steam account from multiple IPs, did they get rid of that?

    Fizban140 on
    533570-1.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    I know valve use to have some weird policy about connecting to your steam account from multiple IPs, did they get rid of that?

    I'm pretty sure that the point of Steam has always been that you can access your games on any computer. You just can't be logged in at more than one place at the same time.

    Peewi on
    Switch: SW-6132-4331-5349 || Steam
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Suds wrote: »
    No
    And in fact that was all work I'd done for SteamCalculator.com a site which I no longer have any affiliation and have no access too.

    I'd have to re-engineer a solution from scratch if I wanted to make a calculator. But I can't be assed to do it.

    What happened with Steam Calculator?

    http://steam-gamer.com/news.php?id=34

    Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with using one steam account on multiple computers? I want to play world of goo on my netbook but I also don't want to have to pirate it or buy it again.

    I use Steam on two different computers and have had no problems. I've got one here at home, and one PC at my fiancee's. The only weirdness I get is that sometimes when I get home from her place after spending a weekend up there, I'll have to log back into my Steam account down here (it's usually set to automatically log in).

    One thing you might need to do is copy your saved games from one PC to the other if you want to pick up where you left off. I did this with Puzzle Quest for a while.

    ---

    Last night I was playing Audiosurf and decided to give Edge of Sanity's "Crimson" a shot in mono pro mode. For those who don't know, "Crimson" is a 40-minute song. I hit a gray block in the last minute of the song. I was....quite unhappy.

    SteevL on
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Someone invite me to the useless Steam group. My Steam handle is Henroid (what a surprise!).

    Henroid on
    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User
    edited October 2009
    Done.

    Xtarath on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    now you can do nothing at all! wooooo

    Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wooo!

    Well I can see who is playing what I guess, right? That's not pointless. Besides, it's better than giving anyone the illusion that I'm actually FRIENDS with them. <_<

    Henroid on
    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
  • ArjanNArjanN Registered User
    edited October 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    Roshin wrote: »
    I was playing through the new Crash Course DLC for Left 4 Dead, when I heard the following conversation between Bill and Zoey. I was moving past a broken pipe blowing out steam when it happened.

    Bill: Hey, watch out for that steam!
    Zoey: Hmmm, steam...
    Bill: Yeah, steam's alright, I guess.

    I couldn't hear if Francis expressed his hate for steam, though. :)

    It's Francis and not Bill that says that.

    Yeah, that's half the joke. Francis hates everything. Except Steam.

    ArjanN on
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I really wish the pricing on STEAM was more competitive. Apart from weekend deals, I can often find the games for much cheaper on Amazon. I always thought that with DD the games might be cheaper. Still, the availability of older games is something that retailers like Amazon can't match.

    AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I really wish the pricing on STEAM was more competitive. Apart from weekend deals, I can often find the games for much cheaper on Amazon. I always thought that with DD the games might be cheaper. Still, the availability of older games is something that retailers like Amazon can't match.

    It might be that Valve wants to offer a lot of games at a lower price, but the publishers won't let them. It might also be that the publishers know that digital distribution offers an advantage over retail sales, for the consumer, so even though there's less costs in terms of production and shipping, they can charge just as much. For the convenience.

    Centipeed on
    I write about games at Curiouser.org
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I always thought that with DD the games might be cheaper.

    Let's not spark that argument. But I'll try to sum it up: The retail level holds a lot of power.

    And as you noted, availability is a strong point. Buying through DD means it's there waiting for you. Amazon or Gamestop or Wal-Mart, etc, might be out. Which is time wasted.

    And what's more valuable than time in this world?

    Henroid on
    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
  • RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ArjanN wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »
    Roshin wrote: »
    I was playing through the new Crash Course DLC for Left 4 Dead, when I heard the following conversation between Bill and Zoey. I was moving past a broken pipe blowing out steam when it happened.

    Bill: Hey, watch out for that steam!
    Zoey: Hmmm, steam...
    Bill: Yeah, steam's alright, I guess.

    I couldn't hear if Francis expressed his hate for steam, though. :)

    It's Francis and not Bill that says that.

    Yeah, that's half the joke. Francis hates everything. Except Steam.

    Yes, that makes more sense, of course. :)

    Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Just installed steam and it is stuck at zero percent updating for about 20 minutes now, I am guessing it is the firewall. Unfortunately I am connected to a public wifi connection and can't change the settings, is there any way around this?

    Fizban140 on
    533570-1.png
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    Buying through DD means it's there waiting for you. Amazon or Gamestop or Wal-Mart, etc, might be out. Which is time wasted.

    And what's more valuable than time in this world?

    The whole "time is money" adage is overplayed. It's not like I'm making money every second of my day. I only make money when I'm at work; I think this applies to most people. If I go to Best Buy on the way home from work and they don't have what I'm looking for, I'm not down $5,000,000 because I wasn't able to call my fictitious stockbroker during those 10 minutes and tell him to sell everything!

    Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    Mondayish

    Is it eastern time, some other time, or whenever they feel like it time?

    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time

    Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Vegan wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Buying through DD means it's there waiting for you. Amazon or Gamestop or Wal-Mart, etc, might be out. Which is time wasted.

    And what's more valuable than time in this world?

    The whole "time is money" adage is overplayed. It's not like I'm making money every second of my day. I only make money when I'm at work; I think this applies to most people. If I go to Best Buy on the way home from work and they don't have what I'm looking for, I'm not down $5,000,000 because I wasn't able to call my fictitious stockbroker during those 10 minutes and tell him to sell everything!

    I think you're taking my statement a little too literally with regard to value (as in, currency). You should try philosophizing sometime.

    Henroid on
    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    Vegan wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Buying through DD means it's there waiting for you. Amazon or Gamestop or Wal-Mart, etc, might be out. Which is time wasted.

    And what's more valuable than time in this world?

    The whole "time is money" adage is overplayed. It's not like I'm making money every second of my day. I only make money when I'm at work; I think this applies to most people. If I go to Best Buy on the way home from work and they don't have what I'm looking for, I'm not down $5,000,000 because I wasn't able to call my fictitious stockbroker during those 10 minutes and tell him to sell everything!

    I think you're taking my statement a little too literally with regard to value (as in, currency). You should try philosophizing sometime.

    Yeah, but I do see people trying to push that idea all the time.

    Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with using one steam account on multiple computers? I want to play world of goo on my netbook but I also don't want to have to pirate it or buy it again.

    Buy it straight from the devs. They get more money for an indie developer, and as a bonus, they give you a DRM free version that you can use however you want. Which is awesome.

    subedii on
This discussion has been closed.